The official Wendy disscussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:12 pm

Yes, do remember: The noobs know all. Do not question the noob, it has sharp and pointy teeth. It is the silent killer of threads.

(dang it, where's the ninja-face smiley when you need it?)

In fanfiction, it seems to me that the South Park females get quite the rough deal. Wendy is the usual target, but Rebecca (and sometimes Bebe) and Kelly are also included to have the fangirls (or guys) focus their wrath on so they can hook Stan/Kyle/Kenny up with some Mary-Sue insertion, and/or to 'get rid of the competition' for a slash pairing.

Rebecca seems to have a lot of hatred from the Kyle fangirls, despite her (only) one appearance to this date. You'd think she was one of those screentime-hogging characters or something, with how they scream about how 'evil' (amongst more..intense terms) she is and how she tried to steal their little Kyle's heart.

There's a constant war between Rebecca/Kyle and Bebe/Kyle fans, and of course, there's the several that hate Bebe as well for trying to 'steal their man'.

Kelly is also practically another non-entity (she appeared once, unless you count a possible reference to her in "Spontaneous Combustion" and her two filler background appearances in 313 and the movie), but she also gets a lot of hatred from the Kenny fangirls. Same reasons as Rebecca and Bebe do.

I'd say Wendy gets the most though (Rebecca being second, and Kelly third. Bebe's spot varies). It's just something I've noticed over the years, and something I don't really like in any fanfiction.

When someone devotes all their time to tearing down certain characters just so they can show how much 'better' Miss Mary Sue is in comparison and why SHE'S so AWESOME. As far as I see it, Wendy, Bebe, Rebecca, and Kelly should go on a Mary Sue-hunting spree. Heck, they could even fire a few into the sun..(those godawful Powerpuff ripoff-I mean, the "Cheesy Poof Girls" by 'Nene', for one. Oh yeah, I WENT there!)
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:14 pm

You're right; Wendy's love for Stan was the root of a lot of her bitchiness (i.e. Tom's Rhinoplasty, Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society). When she broke up with him, she became much nicer. I loved how she was the first to feel bad about ridiculing Marjorine. I've always wondered what a relationship between her and Butters would be like. Butters could tame Wendy's temper and Wendy could defend the passive Butters against bullies like Cartman. (That'd be just like Butters, needing his girlfriend to protect him. :P) They're both sweet and caring (Butters donated all his movie money to needy children in third world countries in AWESOM-O; that seems like something Wendy would do) and... I dunno. Eversince Marjorine, I've just thought it'd be interesting. I'm still a Stan/Wendy fan primarily though, even if that aspect of the show is dead and burried.
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:22 pm

@KSWF: I had thought about making that a fanfiction pairing, Butters/Wendy.

In "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society", which many noobs seem to use as an example of how Wendy can't stand to be out of the spotlight, I think Wendy's wanting to get breast implants was not because she was jealous of all the attention from the other boys being paid to Bebe. She was still dating Stan, even though they hadn't talked in a while. Since Stan hadn't talked to her much, and because he seemed to be crushing on Bebe, Wendy probably thought Stan wasn't in love with her anymore. Since everyone seemed to be paying attention to Bebe because she had b00bs, Wendy probably thought she'd be able to get Stan to notice her if she had them too.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:39 pm

Y'know, the sad thing about "Raisins" is was when I read the episode synopsis about 'Butters thinks he has found the girl of his dreams', I wondered if it could've been Wendy.

Heck, I thought 'Ooh, what a twist'. Too bad it wasn't so. I mean, yeah, the 'Raisins' plot was necessary for Butters, but I couldn't help but think how the episode would've gone had Stan found out he lost Wendy to a 'Melvin' like Butters.
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Sure, Wendy was nice, and, apparently, cute (we can't know because every character's head looks alike. I wonder what would she look like if they made a drawing of her, and many other characters, like the boys in "Free Wylzyx"), since Cartman and Kenny always paid attention to her in the first season, but...

What did she and Stan had in common? Most times she just dragged Stan to doing stuff she wanted, and he went on because he was in love with her, right?

After a while, they would end up breaking up because they have nothing in common. It's a common trait in north american television, in my opinion: The male character tries to get rid of his competition (that's completely different from him, like the british guy from the movie), and to impress the girl. But then, what? Most attractive girls are very aware of their appearance, and - not that I want to offend anyone - become somewhat smug. They tend to be a little annoying, in my opinion.

Wendy was a hardcore liberal, and Stan, in many ways, a conservative. It is my opinion that, being as young as he was, spent some time with Wendy, "won the cow", and then got tired. Of course they'll fight afterwards, but that doesn't mean they still want to get back together. Maybe that's just me, but I actually believe couples that have nothing in common don't last. And screw "Friends"!
This is not a sig.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:11 pm

Now this is a discussion! Differing opinions, no insults or n00bishness... makes for a good discussion.

And yeah, it's true, Stan and Wendy didn't have a whole lot in common. That's part of what made the pairing interesting. They had lots of conflicts and then they'd make up at the end usually, which was always adorable. In the end, though, their relationship was doomed.

And I agree that Wendy probably got implants to get Stan's attention again, not the attention of the boys in general. It's just like in Tom's Rhinoplasty when she had Bebe give her a makeover so that she could grab Stan's attention away from Miss Ellen.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:07 am

I'm glad we're able to have one of those discussions. It's certainly a nice break from having to roll your eyes at the next noob-speak post.

As far as I see it, the break-up wasn't entirely due to Wendy NOR Stan (god forbid!). I'd say they both played an equal part in the downward spiral, even if it was Wendy who broke it off. Heh, and they're kids, so yeah, something was bound to screw up.

I liked that they had Kyle and Wendy sort of interact in "Follow That Egg", as you hardly see the two 'smart' kids really play off each other (well, Wendy was usually hanging around Stan and Kyle isn't much of a girl-person. I'm just saying).

In fact, had they REALLY paired those two up, I wouldn't have minded. It would've been something different and a nice break from the loop.

I do have to admit the one or two Kyle/Wendy shippers I saw after that episode were pretty overzealous and damn scary though. "LOL CANON! IN YOUR FACE!". Um..did they not hear that bit in the episode about the two not having interest in each other? 'Course, I'm not one who takes pleasure in raining on people's parades. But for someone to scream 'canon' and act like S/W was never 'real' and K/W somehow WAS..okay, that's pushing it.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:04 pm

I wouldn't have minded either, but yeah, Kyle didn't care for Wendy and he specifically said so, and as such they are not a canon pairing. Stan and Wendy may have broken up, but they at least were a canon pairing at one time. That's not to say that I have a problem with people writing Kyle/Wendy fanfiction, I'm just saying that it isn't and never was canon. Stan/Wendy was at least canon at one time.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:42 am

Heyy, this topic is all stickied! :shock:

In Wendy-related discussion, although the SP part of my site is still basically 'static', I did reupload and redo some of the image galleries (and add to the 'Oddities' sections).

I'm not sure where I'll take the whole site next, but for now, the SP pages are all up-to-date, for the girl characters at least. As Wendy hasn't really had a role this season, I see no need to really update her info. Same thing goes for the other girls.

Unfortunately, when I upload my site, all the subpages still appear listed under D:/WWW instead of the proper URL (though they still show up if you type in the URLs for them).

I wanted to get screengrabs from the unaired pilot, but unfortunately, my source (a YouTube video of it)..'died in heaven', you could say (watch as only a few get the injoke).

Speaking of which, Wendy's voice in the pilot was pretty..tomboyish. I dunno. That's one word that comes to mind. I'm glad they recasted for the series, as I'm not sure it would've worked..
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:55 pm

I don't like Wendy's voice from the unaired pilot. In fact, I don't like any of the female voices from the unaired pilot. They just... didn't seem to fit. Liane's was especially annoying. Wendy's didn't sound child-like enough. A lot of people might say that about April Stewart's Wendy voice, but... I can at least somewhat picture April Stewart's voice coming from Wendy's mouth, y'know? None of the female voices in the unaired pilot really seemed like they were coming from the characters' mouths. It was like watching a poorly done American dub of a Japanese rubber suit monster show.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:00 pm

Cerisa_Roz wrote:Just wondering..Will, did you make up the 'Psycho Wendy' song? It's pretty hilarious :lol: (yeah, I'm not that protective over my favorite characters. I can afford to poke fun).

Not really. I just changed The Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" to "Psycho Wendy" :twisted:

And Wendy is my favorite female character on the show, even if she doesn't have much of a role now. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
andrea goodier 13

Re: bullsh*t

Postby andrea goodier 13 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 pm

Lol calm down dude :?
love mcr, patd, kooks, system of a down, billy talent as you can see i love music EMO'S rule!!!
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:11 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Cerisa_Roz wrote:Just wondering..Will, did you make up the 'Psycho Wendy' song? It's pretty hilarious :lol: (yeah, I'm not that protective over my favorite characters. I can afford to poke fun).

Not really. I just changed The Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" to "Psycho Wendy" :twisted:

And Wendy is my favorite female character on the show, even if she doesn't have much of a role now. :)

Ah, okay. It's still pretty funny, though!

I think what attracted me to the Wendy character (not in THAT way, naturally) was that she wasn't the typical cookie-cutter type of female role. Unpredictable, bitchy (yep), but enough smarts and sweet side to balance it out.

Although I like her seasons 1-3 (well, what little she had in 2 and 3) attitude, season 4 Wendy probably ranks as my favorite, as she's more fleshed out there. It's not the S/W breakup that ticked me about the end of her character's remaining 'activeness' on the show, but rather how one-note she seemed to drop to in the later seasons. Seasons 8 and 9 seemed to have fixed that, though. But then, when you've got a show with as many characters as SP, I guess you have to try to be fairer about it.

I don't mind if people don't like Wendy so much, it's just the smarmy kind of noobish types that irritate me (about ANYTHING in the show, really. Not just Wendy). My 'SP breather' I took this year was in part due to irritation from those types of fans (that, and I really needed a break).

As for her many voices..the natural first would be Mary Kay Bergman's version. Mona Marshall's comes at a close second, though. April Stewart comes in third, and though I don't want to slam Eliza Schneider, her 'Wendy' comes in last.

(S/N: When I started watching the show, Wendy had yet to have a role in season five. So through tapes and reruns, I came to experience the different voices. And hearing Wendy's voice shift during the mid-to-late season four episodes was jarring, where in the earlier ones, it was hard for me to tell the actress changed)

The 'poorly done dub' reference (about the pilot voices) is pretty on the mark, KSWF. The voices kind of felt more 'offscreen' if that's what you mean, like someone was speaking over a running tape in some cases. Of course, if you're talking about a Godzilla-type dub, the characters' mouths would've had to have been moving all wrong (I never thought about it much as a kid, but now it's just funny knowing why).
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:55 pm

So yeah, we're more than halfway through the season... this is usually about the time that we're struck with a Wendy episode. As we've seen in the past, it can go either way: it can continue to develop Wendy's character in a positive direction (i.e. Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset) or it can sh*t all over her character. Let's hope for the former.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:11 am

Speaking of episodes, "Tom's Rhinoplasty" was just on a while ago. One of MKB's best 'Wendy' performances, IMO. She was still going by "Shannen Cassidy" back then, though. It was only around season 2 that the credits began listing "Mary Kay Bergman" (Clubhouses was the first, listing 'aka Shannen Cassidy' underneath).

Eliza Schneider used the alias "Blue Girl" for a while, and April Stewart was listed initially as "Gracie Lazar", though for a while, sites listed them as separate, confusing quite a few people (including me). It's good to know Gracie/April is still on, though. It'd suck to have a replacement actress every season..

Mona Marshall, throughout her time on the show, hasn't gone by any aliases, though she has in some of her other TV work (she did a lot of voicework in '80s cartoons and a LOT of dubbed anime).

I'm not sure if any other of the SP VAs used aliases (I know Trey and Matt did use alternate names in the pilot credits) throughout the show's run..

Return to “Character Discussion”