If you don't like whining and complaining, don't read

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Grizim

If you don't like whining and complaining, don't read

Postby Grizim » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 am

There's really a huge problem with South Park's characterization these days and I don't know where to start or where to end but I really feel the need to bitch about it because it's starting to piss me off more than normally, to the point I feel like a loser and I feel obsessive with the show.

The boys are WAY TOO f*cking MATURE AND OFF CHARACTER. I'm sick of it. They were funny and cute back then but these days they're too calm and intelligent (especially Stan and Cartman) and it bothers me to no end. There's nothing absurd about this show anymore. It was funny watching little kids curse and act up. But now they are barely little kids, they're adults in small bodies, and it's not as funny to watch them curse.

Stan's role in the new episode was f*cking awful. Coach? What the hell were Matt and Trey thinking? He's nine. And he's some role model to a kid, and acts like a role model, and handles his team with wisdom and seriousness. He should have been acting slightly more like the little kids and even more like his f*cking age like he did back in the day. Cartman had a hillarious comedy routine when the show started and look at him now. An evil genious, a corrupt politician, whatever the hell you want to call him, I don't like it. I want him to be stupid and whiny again and I want Stan to be naive and curious again. At one point he's experiencing little kid love with Wendy and then six years later after the show starts to get more and more stale, him and Wendy are in a serious relationship like it's high school or something and he turns gothic when she leaves him. What kind of nine-year-old does that?

Kyle isn't so great either. He's so high on morals it makes him look like an adult, and he's shrewd. He used to be a typical little boy who defended a religion he didn't even know about, always reacting to Cartman in an immature manner. His change in character hasn't been as drastic as Cartman and Stan's, but it's still pretty bad.

I'm not even going to mention Kenny because he barely exists anymore.

The adults are all stupid these days, which is funny, but it's funnier with the kids being the stupid ones since they're the main characters and the spot light is on them.

I wanted to post this in the new episode's thread but this concerns other episodes also since South Park has been dying of AIDS for the last five years and now it's really bad.

I'm sorry if this post is too negative for you but get over it. I'm open to an arguement about this but don't say I didn't warn you in the thread title that this would not be a happy thread since I'm so annoyed by the show.
As enjoyable as abuse.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:02 am

I agree with everything you said..Especially what you said about the adults..Namely "Stupid" Randy..I am so sick and tired of seeing Randy over react to every f*cking thing, that I almost want to reach through the tv and punch him some sense into him..Him always over reacting and acting like a dumbf*ck isn't funny, it is irritating. And predictable too..You see Randy having any kind of part on an episode, you know he is going to over react and be stupid..That is just really lazy on the part of the writers..

P. S..Grizim, you know we are going to get eaten alive for saying this sh*t, don't you? LOL..Oh well, if certain people don't like what I said, they can go f*ck themselves.
NauaCaos

Postby NauaCaos » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:18 am

^ Agreed, Except I don't really mind their over maturity, And that whole part with the Announcer guy, that was just stupid. He had at least 5 minutes based on him alone. That really pissed me off, I just don't think that this was a very well written episode.
(¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø°`)
(`¤ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸ø¤°`°¤ø,¸)
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:30 am

I agree that they are acting too mature these days. I would like to see more "boys will be boys" and child-like innocence. In this episode though, I thought that Stan was sort of being a kid when he was talking about how all the movies end like this, so it will happen to us. That was probably about it.
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:52 am

Welp, that's it, then. South Park is the Peanuts of the early 21st century, only more extreme. You never saw the adults in Peanuts, and that allowed the kids there to express Schultz' view of the world ... through the eyes of children. Matt and Trey are doing the same thing. South Park is Peanuts on acid, and that's the one thing that hasn't changed all these years.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Rebecca_Cutswald

Re: If you don't like whining and complaining, don't read

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:14 am

I think what's bothering me the most is the subject matter. The further back into the series you go the more obscure their topics. My dad and I are both Forteans and if you don't know what that means- and you probably don't- it means we love aliens, god, spontanious human combustion, fish falling from the sky- you know "acid trip" events that actually happen. South Park was one of the first shows the both of us saw that sort of evoked the "fortean" sense of the world- that the real world is f*cking crazy.

South Park mocked spontanious human combustion, they had aliens, they had a mad scientist, they had a crazy homo-hating-homo who rode a didlo-powered bike, they had existentialism acid trips-- I mean damn it was crazy and cool and... honest? At least as far as we were concerned. In the "hot catholic love" episode they had a "Great Queen Spider."

Where is the weirdness now? In Jared they made a joke about how we can't joke about taboo subjects like AIDs... well unfortunately joking about the Taboo has became about all they ever do. It's gotten old, and predictable.

I want my Giant Queen Spider, Mechanical Monkies, and ass traversing Lemmy Winks back.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:28 am

Can you be happy with an evolutionary scientist having sex with a transgender 4th grade teacher, while Cartman changes the past 540 years in the future? :lol:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:40 am

Big-Will wrote:Can you be happy with an evolutionary scientist having sex with a transgender 4th grade teacher, while Cartman changes the past 540 years in the future? :lol:

I actually really liked the second half of that episode so... YES! =3 Gimme more.

I liked WoW too.. and I liked a bunch from this season... Aw yes I am happy. Towlie, Manbearpig, Satan's Party... yep. I liked em.

Stanley's cup... hell no. God that was boring.

So yeah- I take it back. They're still good.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
ihaveitchyballs

Postby ihaveitchyballs » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 am

The shows obviously changed a lot since it started but I'm still enjoying it as much as ever. The kids have always been mature for their age though they don't have Chef anymore to ask innocent questions. I thinks its great having the adults acting stupid especially Randy hes one of the best characters. A lot of the time the adults acting stupid its an exageration of how some people are acting at the time in real life.

All the points made were valid and I can easliy understand why someone could love the early episodes and hate the later ones and maybe even vice versa
Aimsireil

Postby Aimsireil » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:31 am

Hey, I'm obsessive with the show too, so I might as well make a post about it:

One of the main problem with the show these days is that all the gags and catchphrases are missing. There used to be thousands of gags, such as Kick-The-Baby or Kenny-Dies or Stan-Barfs or Chef-Lays-Down-A-Woman. That is now all gone. There also used to be thousands of catchphrases, like "Screw you guys, I'm going home", "Respect my Authoritah!", "OK, people, what seems to be the problem here", "Hey there, children", or any other stuff we loved to hear over and over. Cartman's accent has even disappeared.

Another problem with the show is that all the good characters are either being

(A). Killed off

(B). Pasted into the background

or

(C). Completely ruined.

An example for (A) is easily Chef. Chef was the first adult on the entire show, ever, but he is now dead. Another example is Ms. Crabtree. She was incredibly funny, fit the show's description of being "extreme", and was always there for a good joke. She was killed brutally and painfully, all so that the police sergeant could reference to the fact that South Park is a TV show.

An example for (B) is Officer Barbrady. He was an incredibly incompetent police officer, worthless and stupid, and was also wonderfully funny. But he was removed from the show without an explanation, being replaced by the 'Park County' police force.

An example for (C) is Cartman, Cartman, Cartman. Cartman used to be a stupid, immature, idiotic, fat, hated, emotionally disturbed little boy, with an odd accent and over 50 catchphrases, who would deny everything from his being fat to aliens planting a probe in his butt. He has been disgustingly warped into an evil, plotting, murdering, hippie-hating, Anti-Semitic neo-nazi who without reason tries to ruin Kyle's life again and again (which is getting very boring).

Another thing that has been bothering me is how the show has been ignoring its own setup. South Park (the town) is supposed to be a quiet, redneck, podunk, white-trash mountain town. So when did it get a synagogue? There was supposed to be one Jewish family! Where did all those people come from? And Kenny is supposed to be as poor as dirt... right? So where the hell did he get a PSP, a computer, and World of Warcraft? And where did South Park get a police department from? There's supposed to be one police officer! And the only government building is supposed to be the mayor's office... so where did that whole government building area in "Stanley's Cup" come from? South Park has been deliberately ignoring its own setup in order for the show to prop up it's lame jokes and plotlines.

The main group of four is completely unstable. It used to be that the boys hung out together because they were friends. However, Kyle and Cartman now hate each others' guts. And yet they still hang out together. And Stan, while he used to have a good reason for being neutral in this fighting, is now behaving like a complete assh*le: What kind of piece of crap doesn't care when his best friend is being hurt over and over and over again?

It was not mentioned (or implied) the whole of season 10 that Cartman's mom is a slut, that Kyle's mom is a bitch, that Tweek is a coffee addict, that Stan's grandpa is old as dirt, or anything of that sort. All those cool character details have been practically removed from the show.
-----
jempast

Postby jempast » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:21 am

I agree. Another, thing I have missed is the episodes with Satan & Saddam. Like, in the Hell On Earth episode Satan is completely obsessed with throwing the biggest Halloween party ever. Who, cares?? Why, doesn't he concentrate on taking over the world? What, the f*ck is with those yellow horns on his head? Also, where are Jesus & God???

Also, what Matt & Trey did to Chef really pissed me off. Chef was the smartest adult in South Park. He was the only who knew what the f*ck was going on. Chef, was also the only adult that the boys trusted.

What about the guy from the Chinese restaurant City Wok?
He was so funny. To, my husband & I it sounded like he was saying sh*tty Wok. We, would crack up every time he was in an episode. I want the City Wok guy back.[/url]
juggaloblaine

Postby juggaloblaine » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:33 pm

I agree South Park's "small" mountain town is growing into a large city by M&T not paying attention to it

And look at Cartman.....he was perfectly fine until
Scott Tanerman Must Die he was then turned into an overly smart pure evil monster and this is the kid who would sit on the couch screaming for his mom to get the door cause he was too lazy to get off his ass Cartman needs to be knocked out or somthing at some point because his charector is dying

I haven't noticed anything different with Kyle but Stan has become a bit of a jerk to everyone he's turning into the skinny version of the old Cartman

You all know how I feel about Kenny....look at any Kenny thread and I'll be there defending him

South Park is slipping a bit
.....What......
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:37 pm

juggaloblaine wrote:And look at Cartman.....he was perfectly fine until
Scott Tanerman Must Die he was then turned into an overly smart pure evil monster and this is the kid who would sit on the couch screaming for his mom to get the door cause he was too lazy to get off his ass Cartman needs to be knocked out or somthing at some point because his charector is dying

I have to disagree with you on this one. Most of you seem to think "Scott Tenorman Must Die" ruined Cartman's character, but I think it made him a whole lot better.

A show has to grow over time. And that's what happened to South Park. It grew. Could you imagine a t.v. show about four 8 year olds joking around about dildoes and 10 years later they're still doing the same thing? No. South Park would have ended a long time ago if it was the same thing as it was in the first season. A show has to adapt over time and if it does't it will die.

So "Scott Tenorman Must Die" didn't really change Cartman's character, it evolved his character. And it didn't all happen at once. You could see cartman's character progressively getting more evil throughout the first 4 seasons.

jempast wrote:Also, what Matt & Trey did to Chef really pissed me off. Chef was the smartest adult in South Park. He was the only who knew what the f*ck was going on. Chef, was also the only adult that the boys trusted.

Isacce Hayes, voice of chef, quit the show because he was offended by "Trapped in the closet". So chef would have been dead even if they hadn't actually killed him off. So don't be mad at Matt and Trey.

Grizim wrote:I'm not even going to mention Kenny because he barely exists anymore.

This is something that I can agree on. Kenny does need more attention. He's done practically nothing in season 10. The only episodes he's had a decent amount of attention were "The Return of Chef" and "MLNW". And in both these episodes, the 4 boys received an equal amount of attention.

And that's how it was in the earlier seasons. The plot focussed on all 4 boys equally, rather than 1 or 2. And I think that's what all of you miss so much about the earlier seasons. However, South Park is still a great show with good plot lines, even when it only focuses on 1 of the characters.

Postby 203177 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:23 pm

I don't know how to stop posting my username
I am going to have to agree south park became too serious and too sick I prefer the old seasons when south park was just a quiet pissant white bread mountain town. And matt and trey have been going too far like for example when they made fun of steve irwin in the hell on earth episode what was the point in that?. And I also agree about the boys acting too mature well its true I liked them better in the early seasons.South park is just weird and it sucks that they killed off chef he was one of my favorite adult cartoon charcters!
jempast

Postby jempast » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:17 pm

swellman7 wrote:Isacce Hayes, voice of chef, quit the show because he was offended by "Trapped in the closet". So chef would have been dead even if they hadn't actually killed him off. So don't be mad at Matt and Trey.

I am mad at Matt & Trey in fact I am pissed off. Sure, Chef would have been off the show no matter what since Issac left. But why turn Chef into a child molester and why have him killed so brutally. Why not say Chef moved to another town or kill him off like they did other staff members of South Park Elementary. Why try and ruin how the fans feel about Chef?

Return to “Character Discussion”