Kenny? Now meaningless?

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

FaShiznor117
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:44 pm

Postby FaShiznor117 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:34 pm

It was always fun in the old episodes to guess how Kenny would die...
Elrog
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Postby Elrog » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:38 pm

I miss Kenny I don't like Butters I liked it when Kenny shared Cartmans body he had a bigger role No there are four of us Kenny is still in Cartmans Body Yeah Stupid Yeah luckily theres plenty of room for both of us.
Infusions
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby Infusions » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Instead of typing huge paragraphs, I'll just basically quote somebody whom I agree with fully.

polymorph wrote:I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one but I think that Matt and Trey should just wipe out Kenny like they did in "Kenny Dies" exspecialy since he isn't doing much because last time they "permenantly" killed him of it opened up a whole new window to see some other charecters get large parts.

example 1: it started Butters' rise.

example 2: it created Proffesor Chaos and Genral Disray whitch gave Dougie a prominent role in the show.

example 3: it gave us a nice run of Tweek episodes.

So if they killed him off again they do any number of things with some long forgotten charecter like Pip.
Kyle the Skeptic
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:10 am

Except that wouldn't work either, seeing as how the whole reason he was brought back was because he was such a popular character. Besides, there is no rule saying that Kenny has to be absent in order for characters like Tweek or Butters to be given significant roles. For that matter, it would be interesting to see how those two would interact with Kenny if they were ever in an episode together, because you rarely see them speak to one another. Surely Butters is at least a little curious as to why the other boys liked Kenny so much that they tried to dress him (Butters) up and mold him into another Kenny.
Aimsireil
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Postby Aimsireil » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:13 am

What Mr. Skeptic said. Kenny was actually so popular that he was brought back to the show after a year of being permenantly (not a Kenny-death) killed and buried.

"Make Love, not Warcraft" interested me. It's kind of like M&T went "Ok, we need to throw in the Kenny gags somewhere this season, let's squeeze them into the first 2 minutes of this episode." Which they did, they did the Kenny-dies gag (although Kenny didn't actually die, which was kind of odd) and the muffled profanities gag.

And Wishful_Thinking, what do you mean? Even if Kenny was just put into the show to fit the pattern, certainly the four main characters must be popular. That's why they're the main characters.

Why the heck would Matt be surprised that Kenny had so many fans? The whole They-Killed-Kenny gag was one of the things that made the show popular (possibly the most important of those things).

People have definitely noticed that Butters is replacing Kenny. This is evident in various episodes, such as "Smug Alert" and "The Death of Eric Cartman".

To Polymorph: Your second and third examples are innacurate. Either of those things could have happened without "Kenny Dies" (Although Professor Chaos and General Disarray would have had to have been created a different way, it would have been easy).

Kenny did interact with Butters, remember? He threw a skiruken into his eye (just joking, really, they haven't really interacted at all). And I do believe there was an episode where Stan, Kyle, Kenny, and Butters were playing a board game together... no, but seriously now, they've never truly interacted. And neither has Kenny with Tweek. Or Butters with Tweek.
-----
polymorph
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 pm

Postby polymorph » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:09 am

Aimsireil wrote:To Polymorph: Your second and third examples are innacurate. Either of those things could have happened without "Kenny Dies" (Although Professor Chaos and General Disarray would have had to have been created a different way, it would have been easy).


Matt and Trey wouldn't have come up the idea for Professor Chaos if Butter's hadn't become the boys' friend in the first place whitch wouldn't have happended if Kenny hadn't died.

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Except that wouldn't work either, seeing as how the whole reason he was brought back was because he was such a popular character. Besides, there is no rule saying that Kenny has to be absent in order for characters like Tweek or Butters to be given significant roles.


True, but since there has to be a forth friend it make's it easier to use a charecter if the fit in that role.

And I like to mention that If you take out Kenny's deaths from the early episodes you will notice that he has the exact same amount of importence as he does now. Without his deaths he's nothing and after five years of using the same joke over and over it grows stale.
Image
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
Aimsireil
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Postby Aimsireil » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am

^You have absolutely no idea whether M&T would have come up with the idea for Professor Chaos or not. They would have just needed another reason for Butters to turn nutty.

That's not true at all, the four main boys have always interacted with the other characters. Just look at "Gnomes" for Tweek, "Christian Rock Hard" for Butters and Token, "Quest for Ratings" for Token, Butters, and Jimmy, "Tweek vs. Craig" for Tweek and Craig, and "Cripple Fight" for Butters, Timmy, and Jimmy. Also, Wendy was in most of the early episodes.

That is completely wrong. First of all, he always had his little sick phrases. Second, he had great roles in the earlier episodes, such as "Volcano" or "Damien" or "Something You Can Do With Your Finger" or "Contorting Quintuplets 2000", not to mention the movie. I don't see how you can compare his current roles with the ones he used to have.
-----
polymorph
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 pm

Postby polymorph » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:52 pm

^Kenny was killed because they wanted to do more with Butter's, so with out those few character developing episodes it's highly likely(but not certain) that the idea for Professor Chaos wouldn't have come up.

I didn't say that a charecter who isn't the boy's forth friend can't be used it just means the charecter will get used more
Example:Tweek wouldn't have been seen at all in "Red Hot Catholic Love" if he hadn't been the boy's 4th friend at the time.

Kenny's "sick jokes" are a form of "running gag" just like his deaths, running gags are doomed to run out eventually and he still makes some comments once and a while but the truth of the matter is he never was a really big charecter to begin with.
Image
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
Aimsireil
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Postby Aimsireil » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:58 pm

As you said, it isn't certain. M&T could have thought the idea up without having Kenny killed, how hard could it be? Butters would have just had to be humiliated some other way.

You have no idea whether Tweek would have been seen in "Red Hot Catholic Love". Lots of boys were seen in that episode, and Tweek didn't have that big of a role anyways.

What are you talking about, of course Kenny was a big character! Ok. In the earlier seasons Kenny was one of the four main boys (he technically is now, but doesn't show it), and therefore had roles matching this. How can you say otherwise? He had huge roles! Yes he was a big character! Currently, he has minor, if any, roles, but that was absolutely not always the case.
-----
polymorph
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 pm

Postby polymorph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:05 pm

^All that I'm trying to say someone who is in the boy's group is easier and therefore more likely to be used than anyother character and that is a scientific fact.

Kenny's "Big Roles" as you put it were either centered around his death(Cartman's mom is still a dirty slut, BLU) or were just minor secondary stories (Quintupletes, Cartman joines N.A.M.B.L.A.) with few exceptions (Rainforest Smainforest).
Image
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
Shiek927
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 4:46 pm

Postby Shiek927 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:12 pm

I have too agree with Polymorth. Although Kenny is an insanely popular character(I love him too death, no pun intended), He really was nothing in the beginning except the Death gag. He was just more or less a cult character and over the years grew in popularity while remained the same(and recently, lessened) in actual roles.
Through the years we all will be together...if our fates allow...

"Whats your name?"
"What's in a name?"
Kyle and Rebecca.
Infusions
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby Infusions » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:39 pm

Personally, I find Kyle and Cartman pussy slapping each other for two or so minutes straight alot funnier then seeing Kenny die from getting run over by a car or exploding.

...Yet again.
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Aimsireil
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Postby Aimsireil » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:01 am

^^^ See, I got you to admit he was used more than any other character.

"Still a Dirty Slut" wasn't centered around his death, it was centered around how he braved the elements and fought vicious velociraptors in order to save Dr. Mephesto. The death was just a side effect.

"BLU" wasn't actually centered around his death, which went by rather quickly, but was moreover how he helped Satan grow independent of Saddam, and tried to warn Cartman of the impending doom of Earth. The only episodes that were actually centered around his death were "Spontaneous Combustion", "BFF", and, in a way, "Kenny Dies" (although that last one was a real death, not a Kenny-death).

The roles in "Quintuplets" and "NAMBLA" weren't "minor secondary stories", rather they were plotlines the same size as the plotlines of what the other boys were doing. They were the same size as his role in "Rainforest Schmainforest".
-----
polymorph
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 pm

Postby polymorph » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 am

^Those episodes weren't centered around his death his part in those episodes were centered around his death

His part in Quintupletes was just a mirrior of the other half of the episode.

his part in NAMBLA now that about it was actually just to explain how he is able to keep coming back.

and finally...
Aimsireil wrote:See, I got you to admit he was used more than any other character.

What the hell are you talking about?
Last edited by polymorph on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
Aimsireil
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Postby Aimsireil » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:52 am

^Nooo... his part in "Still a Dirty Slut" was centered around how he braved the elements and fought vicious velociraptors in order to save Dr. Mephesto. The death was just a side effect.

His role in "BLU" wasn't actually centered around his death, which went by rather quickly, but was moreover how he helped Satan grow independent of Saddam, and tried to warn Cartman of the impending doom of Earth.

What are you talking about, mirror of all the other episodes?

No, Kenny's role in "NAMBLA" was about how he didn't want to have a younger sibling, and went to any means necessary to stop his mother from giving birth. The thing where he was reborn was (A). A funny way to end the episode, and (B). A way to explain why Kenny didn't actually get a younger sibling after the episode ended. You're acting like the entire episode was centered around that very moment.

polymorph wrote:
Aimsireil wrote:
See, I got you to admit he was used more than any other character.

What the hell are you talking about?


Ahem...

polymorph wrote:^All that I'm trying to say someone who is in the boy's group is easier and therefore more likely to be used than anyother character and that is a scientific fact.
-----

Return to “Character Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests