Mothers of SP

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Brendle

Re: Mothers of SP

Postby Brendle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 am

I disagree. The normal mothers should remain normal mothers. When you start trying to make a rational, normal mother into an irrational, wacky mother, the results are disastrous: see Marge Simpson.

You're right, though: the good thing about South Park is that they go BEYOND the humor and actually have a point/moral to their episodes and SAY stuff.

I think you have to remember that Matt and Trey simply don't care about giving characters screen time as much as you do. They care more about story. The characters are just puppets that do whatever is required for a good story.

For example: Kyle's mother Sheila was developed further as having a background in New Jersey BECAUSE Matt and Trey wanted to write a story about New Jersey to make fun of Jersey Shore. Not the other way around.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Zaergenzeral

Postby Zaergenzeral » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 am

I am a fan of Carol McCormick for some reason. Huh... I guess it's the shirt or something. Maybe cause I think it's funny that she and Stuart do almost absolutely nothing when they show up in an episode. It's funny how Carol wins pretty much every fight she has with Stuart. Her conversations with other characters are pretty entertaining too.
"You want some more hot water?"
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:14 am

Brendle wrote:I disagree. The normal mothers should remain normal mothers. When you start trying to make a rational, normal mother into an irrational, wacky mother, the results are disastrous: see Marge Simpson.

You're right, though: the good thing about South Park is that they go BEYOND the humor and actually have a point/moral to their episodes and SAY stuff.

I think you have to remember that Matt and Trey simply don't care about giving characters screen time as much as you do. They care more about story. The characters are just puppets that do whatever is required for a good story.

For example: Kyle's mother Sheila was developed further as having a background in New Jersey BECAUSE Matt and Trey wanted to write a story about New Jersey to make fun of Jersey Shore. Not the other way around.

I never said the mothers should turn into irrational characters. I just want them to have more screen time. The stupidity is funny obviously in SP, but the normality is always better to see. To see there ARE adults out there who are not idiots. I like that.

Sadly they obviously don't care much about developing some characters like they do on The Simpsons. :/ But if it has a good story...

I just wish for once they would build an episode to grow a charter and not just have it be there for the story. I just love learning more about characters. :)
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
JVM

Postby JVM » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:26 am

Although I don't believe this applies much to the mothers themselves, Matt and Trey have said in interviews that they do sometimes build stories off characters. It's not often, but it happens. Per example, "Timmy 2000" (#404) was built entirely around Timmy's sudden popularity with fans.

The mothers could easily be built into funny characters. Sharon, per example, we got a taste of this season - she's the straight woman to Randy, but "Creme Fraiche" (#1414) showed she could have her own adventures.

Sheila's got plenty of jokes one can go for - her Jersey heritage, her appearance, her habit of making big deals out of small things.

Liane is a slut. That's easy.

Mrs. McCormick is a clean slate aside that she drinks and uses marijuana. She easily be developed into the world's greatest mother trapped by a lack of funds, or just as much into a bitch who bullies her husband.

love how females are getting curves and nice bodies now. I just love how Sharon's friends looked in Medicinal Fried Chicken at the end. Modern, and not like everyone else. But it does make me wish they would update the boys' moms. Sharon is supposed to be the sexy one, give her boobs so we can see what the others see! Even make Liane look more of a slut.

Yeah, I know. Actually in "Mysterion Rises" (#1412) from the side view Carol has gotten some shape now. But yeah, none of the female characters from the first season except Ms. Ellen had any breasts or cleavage. Sharon got some shape, but it doesn't show in her normal outfit. Sheila... I don't think we want to see her shapes :P But the female characters could definitely use a little cleanup.

One idea me and a friend started writing involved the kids ranking all of the mothers by attractiveness XD
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:20 pm

JVM wrote:

Although I don't believe this applies much to the mothers themselves, Matt and Trey have said in interviews that they do sometimes build stories off characters. It's not often, but it happens. Per example, "Timmy 2000" (#404) was built entirely around Timmy's sudden popularity with fans.

The mothers could easily be built into funny characters. Sharon, per example, we got a taste of this season - she's the straight woman to Randy, but "Creme Fraiche" (#1414) showed she could have her own adventures.

Sheila's got plenty of jokes one can go for - her Jersey heritage, her appearance, her habit of making big deals out of small things.

Liane is a slut. That's easy.

Mrs. McCormick is a clean slate aside that she drinks and uses marijuana. She easily be developed into the world's greatest mother trapped by a lack of funds, or just as much into a bitch who bullies her husband.

love how females are getting curves and nice bodies now. I just love how Sharon's friends looked in Medicinal Fried Chicken at the end. Modern, and not like everyone else. But it does make me wish they would update the boys' moms. Sharon is supposed to be the sexy one, give her boobs so we can see what the others see! Even make Liane look more of a slut.

Yeah, I know. Actually in "Mysterion Rises" (#1412) from the side view Carol has gotten some shape now. But yeah, none of the female characters from the first season except Ms. Ellen had any breasts or cleavage. Sharon got some shape, but it doesn't show in her normal outfit. Sheila... I don't think we want to see her shapes :P But the female characters could definitely use a little cleanup.

One idea me and a friend started writing involved the kids ranking all of the mothers by attractiveness XD

True, once in a while episodes are developed so a character can develop. I do love how Sharon can obviously hold her own head and doesn't have to rely on Randy to live her life. Creme Fraiche showed she is independent and strong.

I think Carol would still be pretty much the same kind of mother if the McCormicks had more money. I don't think more money would stop Kenny's parents from drinking and doing drugs.

Sheila... I don't think we want to see her shapes- HAHA :lol: But yeah, I wanna see the moms look more like what other claim them to be. The hot mom, the slut... let us see this please! I wanted Sharon to be in a bikini or something in Creme Fraiche since she's the hot mama. (yes I am aware of how lezbo that sounded, I am straight, I assure you :P )

A little clean-up, that's all we ask for the mothers! :D

Haa, I love that line.
JVM

Postby JVM » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:24 pm

^ Eh, well the McCormicks are tough to judge. That's really why I want to see more of them. I try to go both ways with their behavior - good at heart, but corrupt. And in "Chicken Pox" (#210) and "Best Friends Forever" (#904) Carol is somewhat shown as the voice of reason within her family. We also see in "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" (#406) that they are a loving family deep down, even under the fighting.

I think more animation change will come as time does. Season Ten or so everything old stayed the same aside Pip, but since Season Eleven we've slowly seen a lot of clean-up - Jimbo got his fancy pockets, Mackey got some new details, Gerald got a new color and yamulke, Garrison's second sex change gave him a belt and a new collar, Dr. Mephesto got some basic clean-up in "201" (#1406), Sheila even got a very subtle clean-up in "It's a Jersey Thing" (#1409) and the McCormicks themselves in "Margaritaville" (#1303)

The kids though haven't changed at all really besides a few adjustments in the first season and Pip gaining a fringe under his hat sometime after his titular episode.

(I apologize for the ridiculous lecture XDD

And don't worry. Personally I like to think Kenny's mom is #2 under Sharon :P)
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Hotcocoseeds

Postby Hotcocoseeds » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 am

My favorite mother has to be Sharon.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:39 am

JVM wrote:^ Eh, well the McCormicks are tough to judge. That's really why I want to see more of them. I try to go both ways with their behavior - good at heart, but corrupt. And in "Chicken Pox" (#210) and "Best Friends Forever" (#904) Carol is somewhat shown as the voice of reason within her family. We also see in "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" (#406) that they are a loving family deep down, even under the fighting.

I think more animation change will come as time does. Season Ten or so everything old stayed the same aside Pip, but since Season Eleven we've slowly seen a lot of clean-up - Jimbo got his fancy pockets, Mackey got some new details, Gerald got a new color and yamulke, Garrison's second sex change gave him a belt and a new collar, Dr. Mephesto got some basic clean-up in "201" (#1406), Sheila even got a very subtle clean-up in "It's a Jersey Thing" (#1409) and the McCormicks themselves in "Margaritaville" (#1303)

The kids though haven't changed at all really besides a few adjustments in the first season and Pip gaining a fringe under his hat sometime after his titular episode.

(I apologize for the ridiculous lecture XDD

And don't worry. Personally I like to think Kenny's mom is #2 under Sharon :P)

Hm, I'm going to have to look out for these changes because I haven't really noticed them. I guess the only change you can say Sharon went under- they gave her eyebrows!! XD It bothers me a lot in the older seasons when she didn't have any. It doesn't look right. They made a major goof and forgot her eyebrows in a scene in CF! I was like, what the hell..?

Anyway... 8)

Haa, I love that line.
loafward

Postby loafward » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:25 am

I'd like to discuss Liane Cartman. Clearly Ms. Cartman is a bad mother figure (no pun intended). Although lately she appears to be setting more boundaries for her little poopsikins (punishing Coon for beating up Mosquito and Mint-Berry), all in all she's raising a sociopathic monster.

I guess what I really want to know is where does Eric learn his hate speech-- his relatives in Nebraska? He probably wasn't born with his attitudes on race or the incendiary vocabulary, but Liane Cartman doesn't seem to exhibit these attitudes or the vocabulary. Where does Cartman pick it up?

One thing I can think of... I took this class on rhetoric once. Plato uses a word: "anemnesis," (anem-nee'-sis). Loosely translated, anemnesis could account for Cartman's violently xenophobic attitudes appearing from nowhere. That is, he's a child prodigy of sorts with special memories from a former life, or memories from a realm before life (not the ideal realm of forms of beauty of which Plato speaks, but perhaps another, evil ideal realm).

But that's crazy talk. I believe that Cartman's mom does harbor racist attitudes and sends little subtle signals that Eric picks up on. I haven't detected any of these signals yet, but they may be there. That woman certainly demonstrates at least mild psychological instability; she may even be schizophrenic. Has she never heard her son's violent words, words that condemn particular figures-- with whom Ms. Cartman's been intimate-- for their particular genetic and ethnic attributes? How do we reconcile mother and son?

Perhaps he picks up the attitudes from TV or other media, and then perhaps his hateful antics are attributable to his acting-out against his mother for several obvious reasons, the first being the absence of his father?

I refuse to indict Cartman, the fourth grader, for attitudes that he didn't create, but that he only parrots. It's either the Nebraskans, anemnesis, TV, or mom.

Thoughts?
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

-J.M.

I'm so seriously, you guys.

-E.C.
JVM

Postby JVM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 am

^ It's from Liane. There's actually quite a few times in early seasons when he would begin racist statements with "My mom says..." The only example I have off the top of my head is in "Starvin Marvin" (#109) when he says "My mom says there's a lot of black people in Africa." We know from Liane's, ahem, activities, that she has a hidden side to her. It's possible these racist tendencies were only displayed when Cartman was young and have been suppressed since as well.

My psychological profile for Cartman has always been compensation. Without a proper male figure in his life, Cartman has had no idea how to assert his masculinity - as a result, he overdoes it and puts on an exaggerated tough guy facade to mask himself from being labelled feminine or soft. He's overcompensating for his lack of a father, but on the same token, his lack of a father makes it impossible for him to know his social limits.

@Stanluv: Good luck. They're subtle, but once you know they're there, they're easily spotted. And yeah, it's weird seeing Sharon with no eyebrows now. Then again, most characters keep their eyebrows constantly now. I don't mind it with the adults since their's are natural-looking, but with the kids I find it a little more odd since their eyebrows are just black and not even part of their designs XD
loafward

Postby loafward » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks, JVM. I'll go back and watch for that.

I just knew Cartman's mom had to be the source of his racist attitudes. But now I must determine if her own attitudes, now apparently hidden, are due to some psychosis. Her infamous promiscuity and inability to commit to a relationship may be indicators of sexual trauma, perhaps during adolescence. Cartman himself demonstrates disturbing sexual behaviors (not unlike Butters), which, as you say, JVM, may be due to an overcompensation for lack of a male role model. But Cartman also demonstrates misogynistic tendencies--is mom to blame for these as well?

Keep your eyes peeled and your ears open for signs of Ms. Cartman's dark side.
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

-J.M.

I'm so seriously, you guys.

-E.C.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 am

^ His misogynist tendencies I can't particularly explain I'm afraid.

Liane, I would have chalked up a year ago to her being intersex, but that issue's in the air right now - "201" (#1406) pretty highly implies the whole thing was a lie, but it's possible the fabrication was only related to the actual parentage. If not that though, I can't think of much besides basic sexual abuse.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes more peeled though.
lilskip80

Postby lilskip80 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:45 am

I would poo on Cartmans mom's chest :unhoodedkenny:

Return to “Character Discussion”