The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

peaches123
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby peaches123 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 am

Stan may have saved Kyle's life, life in Super Best Friends, but Kyle has also saved Stans life, like in the one episode when Stan wanted to save the veal and he was ill, with loads of pussys on his face. Kyle saved him then.

Kyle also abandons Stan a lot, like
Super Best Friends and You're Getting Old
but don't forget the times when Stan has abandoned Kyle, like in Guitar Queer O's

:D peoples always blame Kyle, but thats biased, you have to see both sides of the argument, I mean, come on, Stan sees Kyle as a walking piece of sh*t...
...MEEP...
NeuroHeart
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby NeuroHeart » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 pm

HAcoreRD wrote:
203177 wrote:i didn't like how his friends were ignoring him in your getting old. i felt bad that everything to him looked like crap to him. weird disorder if you ask me.


shows the quality of 'friends' he had after all, huh? He saved Kyle's life atleast twice, and Kyle dumps him because he's cynical?

Not to sound cold, but have you ever dealt with someone like that? They're really difficult to be around. Kyle tried really hard to find something Stan wanted to do, but couldn't, and then he just wanted to see a movie sans commentary on level of shittiness, and then when Stan insisted on coming along and couldn't keep his negativity to himself, Kyle started to give one of his little speeches and Stan got negative about that, too; saw his friend as sh*t and walked away. Don't put all the blame on Kyle. I've been where Kyle was, and I've also been somewhat where Stan was, and both positions suck ass. When someone has reached the level where they can't say a good thing about anything, and you try to help them but can't, and they just bring you down every time you see them, eventually you'll start avoiding them. It's not easy to tell someone you care about outright that you don't want to be around them anymore, but dodging a phone call or two, not calling yourself, saying you're busy, and so on are all things that will start happening, almost out of self-preservation instinct.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
HAcoreRD
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby HAcoreRD » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm

NeuroHeart wrote:
HAcoreRD wrote:
203177 wrote:i didn't like how his friends were ignoring him in your getting old. i felt bad that everything to him looked like crap to him. weird disorder if you ask me.


shows the quality of 'friends' he had after all, huh? He saved Kyle's life atleast twice, and Kyle dumps him because he's cynical?

Not to sound cold, but have you ever dealt with someone like that? They're really difficult to be around. Kyle tried really hard to find something Stan wanted to do, but couldn't, and then he just wanted to see a movie sans commentary on level of shittiness, and then when Stan insisted on coming along and couldn't keep his negativity to himself, Kyle started to give one of his little speeches and Stan got negative about that, too; saw his friend as sh*t and walked away. Don't put all the blame on Kyle. I've been where Kyle was, and I've also been somewhat where Stan was, and both positions suck ass. When someone has reached the level where they can't say a good thing about anything, and you try to help them but can't, and they just bring you down every time you see them, eventually you'll start avoiding them. It's not easy to tell someone you care about outright that you don't want to be around them anymore, but dodging a phone call or two, not calling yourself, saying you're busy, and so on are all things that will start happening, almost out of self-preservation instinct.


thankfully, i yet to experience this. Though i suppose it's because I outgrew people I had less in common with (and I'm sure my old friends did the same to me too).

peaches123 wrote:Stan may have saved Kyle's life, life in Super Best Friends, but Kyle has also saved Stans life, like in the one episode when Stan wanted to save the veal and he was ill, with loads of pussys on his face. Kyle saved him then.

Kyle also abandons Stan a lot, like
Super Best Friends and You're Getting Old
but don't forget the times when Stan has abandoned Kyle, like in Guitar Queer O's

:D peoples always blame Kyle, but thats biased, you have to see both sides of the argument, I mean, come on, Stan sees Kyle as a walking piece of sh*t...


I think Cartman saved Stan, as he negotiated for Stan to get medical attention, Kyle was just tending to his sick friend, as Stan did to Kyle in "Cherokee Hair Tampons".

RichardV1150 wrote:For Stanley to get over his own cynicism he would have to find something that he still likes, do you remember what he said that was? He said it was his friends. Kyle would be the one I would think to come to the rescue, however I don't believe this will happen. I think Eric is just preoccupying Kyle so that Stan leaves, thus eventually making Kyle see what he's done and goes after Stan. Getting Kyle out of the picture has been Eric's goal since the beginning, so if he can't get rid of Kyle directly, than the next option is to go after Stan and Kyle would follow. Think about it.


Stan has other likes than friends, but I agree that friends are his strongest motive.

Even if He doesn't have Kyle, Kenny or Eric he still has (speculative): Wendy, Butters, Clyde, Token, to name a few. Honestly, if they use friends to 'heal' him, since he can only see/hear Kyle as crap, I'd say Wendy or Butters will save him, as Butters woke him from his goth style in "Raisins", and Wendy does seem to sincerely care for him, depression and all.

Though it's unknown if what he reads looks like crap, so I suppose anyone can write him letters and it'll be legible to him.

Otherwise, Stan does enjoy sports, animals and video games. Though I'm sure he'd just bury himself in these activities to hide his pain of his family falling apart.
cynthia325
Posts: 485
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby cynthia325 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:41 pm

NeuroHeart wrote:
HAcoreRD wrote:
203177 wrote:i didn't like how his friends were ignoring him in your getting old. i felt bad that everything to him looked like crap to him. weird disorder if you ask me.


shows the quality of 'friends' he had after all, huh? He saved Kyle's life atleast twice, and Kyle dumps him because he's cynical?

Not to sound cold, but have you ever dealt with someone like that? They're really difficult to be around. Kyle tried really hard to find something Stan wanted to do, but couldn't, and then he just wanted to see a movie sans commentary on level of shittiness, and then when Stan insisted on coming along and couldn't keep his negativity to himself, Kyle started to give one of his little speeches and Stan got negative about that, too; saw his friend as sh*t and walked away. Don't put all the blame on Kyle. I've been where Kyle was, and I've also been somewhat where Stan was, and both positions suck ass. When someone has reached the level where they can't say a good thing about anything, and you try to help them but can't, and they just bring you down every time you see them, eventually you'll start avoiding them. It's not easy to tell someone you care about outright that you don't want to be around them anymore, but dodging a phone call or two, not calling yourself, saying you're busy, and so on are all things that will start happening, almost out of self-preservation instinct.

This got me thinking... even thought I felt for Stan in the last episode because I've been in his position... I felt for Kyle reading your post. I have a friend who was cool in middle school and high school, but once we got to college she was negative nancy about EVERYTHING. In every conversation we had she never once asked how I was doing. Or what was new in MY life. she just started complaining about everything in her life. So I just had it with her. Started dodging her emails and phone calls. Haven't spoken to her in 1-2 years now. I can understand how both characters feel in this episode. Man, growing up sucks! lol.
HAcoreRD
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby HAcoreRD » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:51 pm

cynthia325 wrote:This got me thinking... even thought I felt for Stan in the last episode because I've been in his position... I felt for Kyle reading your post. I have a friend who was cool in middle school and high school, but once we got to college she was negative nancy about EVERYTHING. In every conversation we had she never once asked how I was doing. Or what was new in MY life. she just started complaining about everything in her life. So I just had it with her. Started dodging her emails and phone calls. Haven't spoken to her in 1-2 years now. I can understand how both characters feel in this episode. Man, growing up sucks! lol.


That's the sad truth of life. As Sharon said, people grow older, people grow apart. Guess that's why my parents have such few friends.
RichardV1150
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby RichardV1150 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Growing up definitely sucks for Stan, as it does for many of us. I used to have many friends in high school, but I realized that they were just trying to use me, so I left them. Giving the cold shoulder is a hard thing to do to your friends. I was always acting older than I was, even if I was only a year older than them. So I started hanging around my co-workers more often and now we're like family! But now as I start to graduate from High School and go off to college, I feel that I may lose their friendship for a while too. Some have it worse, as a child their parents, or rather divorced parent, move around a lot. This makes it hard for that child to make any good friends and really messes with their head. I hope that since this transition of Randy and Sharron separating may be permanent, that Stanley doesn't have to move around and possibly leave South Park. They already moved into one house, but might only be renting.
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
The Silver Banana
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:03 am

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby The Silver Banana » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm

I think I see your point. I'm a pessimist myself, and I probably couldn't hang out with myself for 20 minutes. People online, however, seem to like me for some reason. Maybe Stan becomes a forum mod at terranceandphillip.com? ...oh, right, he hates that too now.
________________________________________________________
It's not pedophilia if they should be your age by now.
Stanluv25
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 am

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby Stanluv25 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:13 am

HardcoreHD: You're right, Cartman was the one who told the negotiator Stan was sick. Kyle didn't save Stan, he was just there to comfort him while he grew more and more ill.

It's just easy to blame Kyle. I'm sure it is hard to be around someone who's so negative, but the way I look at it... Stan and Kyle are closer than brothers. It seems as if Kyle is giving up too easily on Stan. This is Stan. Super Best Friend. Although no one said their friendship was over, it was implied that way at the end of the eppy. Stan is always the one who tries harder in their relationship and gets hurt easier when they 'break up.'

Which raises the question.. what could Kyle or anyone do to save Stan? How can Stan get over his condition if all he sees is sh*t? I really want to know now how it will be resolved because I do not feel Stan is doomed to be cynical the rest of his life. Hm...
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Ex1lepr0
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 am

^^There's only one cure for cynicism. Time.
Can't we all just get along?
The Silver Banana
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:03 am

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby The Silver Banana » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:05 am

What, like Stan's completely incurable?

He can go back to being the most popular person in Internet history.

He can accompany his dad on dates.

He can find a kid at his new school and show them how to become popular in less than a week (be normal, but also be a complete busybody, involving yourself in everything), and then immediately get everyone pissed off at him, because he didn't want to actually become popular, he just wanted to prove that he could.

He can take revenge on everything that ruined popular culture, especially Spongebob (Don't believe me? Did you see what happened to Cartoon Network since they started trying to compete with him?).

Best case scenario, he could give up on everyone else's ideas of entertainment, but become a writer. We all know the kid can co-author.

Worst case scenario involves tender loving medication. Heavy medication.
________________________________________________________
It's not pedophilia if they should be your age by now.
HAcoreRD
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby HAcoreRD » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 am

Stanluv25 wrote:It's just easy to blame Kyle. I'm sure it is hard to be around someone who's so negative, but the way I look at it... Stan and Kyle are closer than brothers. It seems as if Kyle is giving up too easily on Stan. This is Stan. Super Best Friend. Although no one said their friendship was over, it was implied that way at the end of the eppy. Stan is always the one who tries harder in their relationship and gets hurt easier when they 'break up.'

Which raises the question.. what could Kyle or anyone do to save Stan? How can Stan get over his condition if all he sees is sh*t? I really want to know now how it will be resolved because I do not feel Stan is doomed to be cynical the rest of his life. Hm...


I think it was writer's intention to have Kyle be the one everyone directs their hate to, only because of the history they shared and how fast (in term of episode time) they went from singing "Happy Birthday" to blowing him off, and eventually becoming a turd himself. Stan is easily the most emotional character, he's also depressed frequently, and if I'm not mistaken, he hates rejection and being hurt more than any of the boys, Kyle included.

As for how Stan can get over the cynical nature he adopted? Well, unless the writers make it silly, logically, he'll either become severly depressed until he forces himself to change, due to hatred of being alone. Failing that he'll find new joy elsewhere, or he'll find that there are good thing in life, while hard to find, he had them all along (Wendy?).

I'd honestly be shocked if come October he's not back in the fold by episode 9. I do not recall the last time people were so abuzz about this (Kenny is S5?), but I knew this was special when I wore my Stan shirt outside the other day and had seven people come up and talk about the episode with me.

We all want a happy ending for Stan, but like the kid with cancer at the end of "Stanley's Cup", we might not be entitled to our happy ending. At the very least, they may vacation Stan to push Butters or another character for a few episodes (Season 6 style). But again, this is all speculation. Time will tell.
Stanluv25
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 am

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 am

^ Stan so deserves a happy ending. Depression is a serious illness and problem and it would be horrible to see Stan suffer through that again, although it appears he already is. It's tough being the sensitive one of the group. I'm the sensitive one in my family, so I feel for the poor kid. :( The cynicism could just be something silly. A silly diagnosis that has a silly cure attached. I hold on hope Stan will be happy once again and get his friends back. *waits anxiously for Oct* :tweek:
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
NeuroHeart
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby NeuroHeart » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 am

Agreed that depression is a serious problem, and it just makes one more cynical, which leads to further depression. Having struggled with that sort of thing for years, I myself have found a solution in tryptophan and a few other important acetic acids necessary for the proper function of messenger systems in the body, and also the interest in neuroscience the whole experience spawned. I sort of doubt Stan's problem will be solved with tryptophan; it's not all that mainstream. So my guess would be he finds some sort of hobby. I would bet it goes one of two ways: either he becomes involved in reading and writing poetry until he works through his emotional state, or he becomes very dedicated to logic and math and things that are concrete in order to put the emotional state into a perspective of mattering less and dealing with it that way. I would bet more heavily on the former, just because it's a more kind of classic drama thing.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
HAcoreRD
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby HAcoreRD » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:53 am

Stanluv25 wrote:^ Stan so deserves a happy ending. Depression is a serious illness and problem and it would be horrible to see Stan suffer through that again, although it appears he already is. It's tough being the sensitive one of the group. I'm the sensitive one in my family, so I feel for the poor kid. :( The cynicism could just be something silly. A silly diagnosis that has a silly cure attached. I hold on hope Stan will be happy once again and get his friends back. *waits anxiously for Oct* :tweek:


I feel you, Stan is my favorite, mostly because he relates closest to me, which is because he's your average joe. If they really want to make Stan a psychological dumpster, he could end up bi-polar, though that'd be a bigger leap down the pit for Stan.
AwesomeSouthPark
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:14 am

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby AwesomeSouthPark » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Stan is the normal boy in south park because you got Eric who likes Hitler and Kenny cannot die.

Return to “Character Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests