The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Ex1lepr0

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:00 am

Stanluv25 wrote:haha, no I do not. He's just my fav character. And don't worry, I'm not one of those creepers who finds him 'hot.' I find him a cute little boy because that is what he is. I tend to get very excitable about the things I love 8) And defensive about them.

Well the way I've always seen it is that SP is both a comedy and a soap opera. There are people like me who prefer the comedy aspect, which is why I like Kenny and Cartman, and then there's people who prefer the drama aspect of it. MOST of the time but not ALL of the time, I've noticed that people who like Stan and Kyle like the drama side of it more.
NOTE: this is my opinion please don't spam my comp. It took a month of working at McDonald's and black friday shopping to get it.
Can't we all just get along?
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:16 am

I love both aspects of the show. I do love the conflict part of the show, most of the time. The drama is fun for me. But in general I do not like drama in reality shows. I don't want people to think I don't like humor or SP humor. God I love it!! :D But Stan in general, his personality and characteristics, is what I love. I don't think it has much to do with the drama as I think Stan is very funny. 8)
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 am

I will admit, Stan has made me laugh quite a few times. Like in Spontaneous Combustion when he mixed up the bible and Star Trek II.
The other moment I really liked him was in Whale Whores when he blew up the Japanese ship. The things I like in a character is if they're funny, and if they're bad-ass. I don't see that in Stan as much as I do in Kenny, and he's nowhere near Cartman in terms of hilarity.
Of course, I also fail to relate to him in any way, so that may be a portion of it. He also killed a 5 year old, if you remember Stanley's Cup.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:36 am

Ex1lepr0 wrote:I will admit, Stan has made me laugh quite a few times. Like in Spontaneous Combustion when he mixed up the bible and Star Trek II.
The other moment I really liked him was in Whale Whores when he blew up the Japanese ship. The things I like in a character is if they're funny, and if they're bad-ass. I don't see that in Stan as much as I do in Kenny, and he's nowhere near Cartman in terms of hilarity.
Of course, I also fail to relate to him in any way, so that may be a portion of it. He also killed a 5 year old, if you remember Stanley's Cup.

Oh of course Stan isn't as funny as Cartman, no one is! :D But he is funny. But Stan defiantly is bad-ass. I think Whale Whores proves it. He always goes above and beyond to fight for what he believes in. I think Stan's stubbornness is what makes him bad-ass. He is fearless when it comes to saving animals and simply doing what he believes in. (Douche and Turd.)

Sadly Kenny is forced to be bad-ass. If he didn't always die I don't think he would be bad-ass and fearless. He has nothing to fear since he knows he will come back to life. Stan has much to loose and fear yet still goes through with it.

That's how I see it anyway 8)

Haa, I love that line.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Eh, I'll just agree to disagree. Kenny's my favorite, Stan is yours. They're radically different personality wise, so I don't think either of us will win. 8)
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:06 am

Oh I know B) Ah well, can't win them all. B)

Haa, I love that line.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon May 16, 2011 7:15 am

Stan's a great character, but I worry he's being used more and more as one to bounce off other characters and less as much as an individual - he's a very reactive character, and he doesn't drive plots by himself much anymore. Nonetheless, he's still an awesome character and my second favorite.

My other worry is he's gaining too many Kyle traits - his temper's a lot shorter, he's a lot smarter and he's going against trends. The two are such good friends they're starting to blend together a little too much.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:05 am

^ Again, I agree. I would love to have Stan ask Kyle about something for once, see him fail at something, be into the next trend while his super-best-friend is not. And that temper... Stan is the calm one, let's have some more of calm, collective, street/people/animal smarts Stanley Marsh again shall we? And something epic from him again like Whale Whores or Trapped in the Closet. :D Anything that does not involve Randy the dimwit please. :roll:

*holding on hopefully for such a thing next week* :roll:

Haa, I love that line.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 am

Stanluv25 wrote:^ Again, I agree. I would love to have Stan ask Kyle about something for once, see him fail at something, be into the next trend while his super-best-friend is not. And that temper... Stan is the calm one, let's have some more of calm, collective, street/people/animal smarts Stanley Marsh again shall we? And something epic from him again like Whale Whores or Trapped in the Closet. :D Anything that does not involve Randy the dimwit please. :roll:

For once, I agree with you. Randy is really starting to piss me off. 8)
John_117

Postby John_117 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:19 am

Ex1lepr0 wrote:
Stanluv25 wrote:^ Again, I agree. I would love to have Stan ask Kyle about something for once, see him fail at something, be into the next trend while his super-best-friend is not. And that temper... Stan is the calm one, let's have some more of calm, collective, street/people/animal smarts Stanley Marsh again shall we? And something epic from him again like Whale Whores or Trapped in the Closet. :D Anything that does not involve Randy the dimwit please. :roll:

For once, I agree with you. Randy is really starting to piss me off. 8)

Yes. I liked him better up until S7, when he was actually intelligent before he suffered severe head trauma and went full force down the retard train.

It's rather disappointing.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 am

You mean like in Spontaneous Combustion? Yeah he was pretty good in that episode.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:35 am

Ex1lepr0 wrote:You mean like in Spontaneous Combustion? Yeah he was pretty good in that episode.

I think "Something You Can Do with your Finger" would be the best example, but you get the idea.

And the "getting severe head trauma" thing never actually happened prior to S7. Or I think not.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:41 am

John_117 wrote:
Ex1lepr0 wrote:You mean like in Spontaneous Combustion? Yeah he was pretty good in that episode.

I think "Something You Can Do with your Finger" would be the best example, but you get the idea.

And the "getting severe head trauma" thing never actually happened prior to S7. Or I think not.

If you ask me, it's been going downhill overall since S7. They returned everything back to normal and there were fewer curveballs. The characters are fairly static and don't change much. SP needs something to change the Status Quoe again, because it's getting repetitive now...
JVM

Postby JVM » Tue May 17, 2011 3:21 am

Ex1lepr0 wrote:
John_117 wrote:

If you ask me, it's been going downhill overall since S7. They returned everything back to normal and there were fewer curveballs. The characters are fairly static and don't change much. SP needs something to change the Status Quoe again, because it's getting repetitive now...

While I believe you're correct, I don't think status quo is quite the right term. Status quo has changed a few times:
* Mr. Garrison for three seasons was female.
* Stan and Wendy broke up, and got back together
* Ms. Crabtree died.
* The Mayor lost an aide.
* Chef died
* Pip died.

Pip and Ms. Crabtree were out of the game and the aides are more visual than actual characters, but Chef's death, Stendy and Ms. Garrison were pretty big changes to an otherwise hunky-dory at that point status quo.

^ Again, I agree. I would love to have Stan ask Kyle about something for once, see him fail at something, be into the next trend while his super-best-friend is not. And that temper... Stan is the calm one, let's have some more of calm, collective, street/people/animal smarts Stanley Marsh again shall we? And something epic from him again like Whale Whores or Trapped in the Closet. Anything that does not involve Randy the dimwit please.

*holding on hopefully for such a thing next week*

I'm sure we'll get a Stan episode before the end of the run. M&T usually manage to give us at least one glimpse of the big three per run. And if we don't see Stan, I'll... I'm not quite sure what I'll do. I'll give you an IOU.

Yeah, I think a good example of Stan's newer personality is "You Have 0 Friends" - Great episode, one of my favorites of last season, but Stan is spending most of it being pissed off and trying to dodge a trend, which is a lot more of a Kyle-thing to do. But I know they used Stan since it was based on Trey's experiences, and I let it pass because it's a great episode, but yeah.

Randy works fine in minute amounts, but the only Randy-centric episode I liked was "Creme Fraiche". I do have a soft spot for "Pinewood Derby" since I was in a real one of those but the problem with Randy is he can't support an episode himself. He works better as a running gag.

Personally in future Stan plots I'd like to see something more involved with Shelly, and more stuff with animals.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:52 am

^ Ya, there has to be a Stan episode soon. I'm just getting anxious and want one so bad!!

I have a soft spot for Pinewood Derby too. I don't think it's as bad as everyone says it is. There are a lot worse episodes that are too crazy. But again, Randy had to take over. His idiotic-ness is getting old and it's unfortunate fans would rather see him do something stupid instead of Stan taking over. He is one of the five main boys. :roll: Creme Fraiche was great because Sharon had her own story and Stan was clearly on her side. He was the one who wanted his mother to return home and seemed to notice she was gone in the first place. It was great to see because it made it very clear Stan respects his mom a lot more than his dad. :)

A Stan and Shelley episode would be sooo good. I would be sooo happy :mrgreen:

Haa, I love that line.

Return to “Character Discussion”