The Official Butters Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Master_Of_All

Re: The Official Butters Discussion Thread

Postby Master_Of_All » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I disagree. I think his main problem is that he's not all that strong on his own, like he needs a dynamic between him and another character for him to work. Like he needs Cartman to have a storyline with him.
kittylover77

Postby kittylover77 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:08 am

i bet that butters i really spiderman. he disguises himself as proffesser chaos so he can get close to general dissary and he is really working with the coon and creg who is obviously mysterion
[code][/code] HENRY BROWN[list=]
    [/list]
    Master_Of_All

Postby Master_Of_All » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:20 am

...what?

i didn't understand that at all.
    pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:17 pm

Master_Of_All wrote:Oh my god, Butters isn't a good character.

1. He's a pussy

2. He's overused.

3. He's not funny.

4. "Oh my god, you killed Kenny!" is way funnier than "Butters, you're grounded!"

5. Did I mention he was a pussy?

6. He's very gullible

etc, etc

I think that some of the things mentioned above is what makes him a good character. If he wasn't liked by most of the south park fans, he would have ended up like towelie or Mephesto...

The gullible personality is what makes him funny, and I don't see how putting balls on your chin and going on national tv, or jumping off the top of a truck over a large fence, or kicking a girl in the crotch makes him a pussy.... he is just kinda - naive - which is partially why I like his character so much. I hope to see more Butters in the next few remaining seasons.

But I have to stand for Butters, he is my fav.
    me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
    2+2=5

Postby 2+2=5 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:48 pm

He wouldn't have ended up a mephisto if the fans disliked him; matt and trey absolutely adore him, he's the show's wesley crusher. However, unlike Stat Treck's annoying little tyke, butters is actually a fun character to see on screen who really fills a niche in the cast.

1. He's a pussy

Someone's a shallow little bully :I Even if you hate "pussies" in real life, it doesn't matter on screen; Cartman isn't the sort of person (most of us) would like in real life but on screen he makes some hilarious situations we can enjoy from afar knowing they're not real. Plus he isn't really a "pussy," sure he isn't a macho macho man, but he does stand up for what he thinks is right when everyone opposes him (as in Cartman sucks and britney's new look) and if you think someone like that is a puss for not being in the football team then you sir are mr shallow.

2. He's overused.

So are Randy and Cartman, and he isn't really *that* overused anymore.
    3. He's not funny.

Subjective. Since he's so overused, saying he's not funny is tantamount to saying a lot of the show isn't funny. His character is so different from most of the cast that it opens situations up that would otherwise have been inaccessible, and he can be pretty funny on his own since he is just that, none of the other characters would agree with him, which can lead to funniness in it's own right.
    4. "Oh my god, you killed Kenny!" is way funnier than "Butters, you're grounded!"

Overused catch phrases arn't funny at all to some people :I And neither are really used at all anymore.

5. Did I mention he was a pussy?

You did, and it shows a lot more about you than it does about butters that you really let his "pussyness" bring him down as a charter in your eyes, when apart from superficial things (not being in the football team) he's not really a pussy.
    6. He's very gullible

As are a lot of real kids. His interactions with Cartman can lead to some funny situations thanks to this trait, which is lacking in the rest of the cast. Gullibility is not a bad thing in itself.

I think his main problem is that he's not all that strong on his own

Not that much of a problem since he's not really on his own that often.
    SuperMaids/superiorsavior/PIPaul strikes again...because he forgot his Passover. Again.
    Master_Of_All

Postby Master_Of_All » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:58 am

I think you misunderstand...I was kinda joking about the "pussy" thing..kinda.

I think that some of the things mentioned above is what makes him a good character.
    I have to admit that you're kinda right on that one, but I still don't like him :/

Someone's a shallow little bully
    I'm really not...:(

and he isn't really *that* overused anymore.

Before season...4 maybe he was just a very slight background character.

Since he's so overused, saying he's not funny is tantamount to saying a lot of the show isn't funny
    I'm not saying that any episodes that have him are bad, I'm just saying things that center around him (His very own episode for instance) are.
    And neither are really used at all anymore.
    I guess so, but there was still a whole episode on being "ungroundable"

As are a lot of real kids. His interactions with Cartman can lead to some funny situations thanks to this trait, which is lacking in the rest of the cast. Gullibility is not a bad thing in itself.

At that point I was really just pointing out personality flaws... :oops:

Not that much of a problem since he's not really on his own that often.
    I'm talking about the character himself.
    pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:25 pm

Everyone knows it's Butters!
    :chaos:
    Love chaos as well...
    me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
    Master_Of_All

Postby Master_Of_All » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 pm

And I don't.

<Off topic: It seems like you don't post here a lot. Why?>
    gonk

Postby gonk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Happy Birthday to Butters for tomorrow, folks!
    Master_Of_All

Postby Master_Of_All » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:00 am

Oh yeah...was the 2001 incident really just a birthday present gone wrong? :P
    blueguy003

Re:

Postby blueguy003 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:15 am

nuttersforbutters_021 wrote:I LOVE BUTTERS!!!!!!! no more butters bashing!
    RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:29 am

Butters is rad, he didn't really replace Kenny... ever since season 1 Kenny has just been a prop and he still is except he actually says stuff, Butters replaced Pip, who was a sh*tty character.
    Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:57 pm

I hate the 'Butters replaced Pip' idea that is generally accepted. It implies that Butters is an 'improvement' on Pip. But watch any episode that has Butters and Pip and you'll see they're two distinct characters playing different roles.

Pip is the proper social outcast, and Butters is the stupid, mouthy kid who babbles too much and makes himself look like an idiot whenever he interjects.

Notice the shift in Butters' character between the end of season 5 and the beginning of season 6. When Cartman told Pip to 'get the fudge out' that was basically it for Pip. With Pip gone, Butters was molded into the insufferable pussy he became.

Cartman and Stan genuinely hated Pip, but neither of them actually hated Butters.
    RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Well Matt and Trey said he replaced Pip and Butters was better so I just kinda copied what they said to seem smart.
    SPDude666

Postby SPDude666 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:17 pm

But PT, you're post makes it look like you hate Butters, but he's not a bad character, and I never liked Pip anyway.
    Taking the banner of the holy Marsh! Death to the vile lard!

Return to “Character Discussion”