The Official Butters Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:29 am

Just a quickie, What is it with this kid, and mellow hits of the 70's?
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:38 pm

XxAbbyMarshxX wrote:
Amen, sister. I know I'm just a noob, but please accept me as A HUGE BUTTERS FAN. He's growing up. (cries) What happened to the Butters I KNEW?!? I'll miss him

Yes. XD
*puts Prof. Chaos hat on your head* Can you smell the freshness?
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
Unhooded Kenny

Postby Unhooded Kenny » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:28 am

You know Butters could easily have been the kid who got the sock bath, but I'm glad that it went to Kenny. Wasn't sure if I should post this in the Kenny thread instead.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:30 am

Unhooded Kenny wrote:You know Butters could easily have been the kid who got the sock bath, but I'm glad that it went to Kenny. Wasn't sure if I should post this in the Kenny thread instead.

Yeah but Butters couldn't be accused because he was the only kid who would have said "And if I had lice what would I say?" All excited like XD. Pluss Butters isn't "poor" so it wouldn't have worked as well.

EDIT: BTW!!!
Since all the kids had lice Butters must have had lice and KNOWN he had lice. His "and if I had lice what would I say?" line was clearly a smooth genious cover-up.

My whole "Butters is a closet genious" theory is totally gaining momentum XDDD It totally supports my theory that Butters knew Cartman was awesom0 all along and that he fakes most of his care-free niavette- for the sake of leaving everyone else off-gaurd for when he takes over as prof. chaos... TOTALLY OMG
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:52 am

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:Since all the kids had lice Butters must have had lice and KNOWN he had lice. His "and if I had lice what would I say?" line was clearly a smooth genious cover-up.

You clearly didn't see the episode. :(

Butters caught on to the self-references Stan, Kyle, and Cartman were making (this is what Stan would do, what Kyle would do, what Cartman would do, what Kenny would do, in a situation like this) and simply asked them what he would do, and they didn't reply.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:Since all the kids had lice Butters must have had lice and KNOWN he had lice. His "and if I had lice what would I say?" line was clearly a smooth genious cover-up.

You clearly didn't see the episode. :(

Butters caught on to the self-references Stan, Kyle, and Cartman were making (this is what Stan would do, what Kyle would do, what Cartman would do, what Kenny would do, in a situation like this) and simply asked them what he would do, and they didn't reply.

Ofcourse I saw the episode (Just not five billion times) but Butters would have known he had lice just like everyone else did and asked "What would I do?" or something like that. (I don't see how I said anything overtly different.) If he knew he had lice then to say "what would I do if I had lice?" would imply he believed he didn't have lice but he must have KNOWN he had lice.

What I am saying is that Butters did something inherritantly smart but that it appeared to be dumb. Acting as though he had gotten into the idea of finding out what everyone would do and leaping in to join when he knew very well what he would do was a good way of eliminating himself as a suspect for lice.

I'll try and explain... er...

Ok say Butters didn't have lice and he heard the boys saying "If so and so had lice" and he felt left out he would probably leap at the "If I had lice what would I do?" idea.

But now we know Butters did have lice and knew he had lice like all the other boys and even though he seems dumb we know he's at least smart enough to attempt to alter the truth for his own best interest as he's done it before.

If an inherritantly honest but stupid guy (which is how Butters portrays himself) knew he had lice he might stay quite about it or he might not even care if anyone knew- but he certainly wouldn't wonder about how he would react if he had lice because he has lice so he already knows.

But if he knew that staying quiet would make him suspect (since he saw the trend of people being accused) and he decided to leap into the argument with "[If I had Lice]what would I do?" Clearly implying that he doesn't have lice while maintaining his "honest dimwit" persona- he'd throw any possible suspiscion off himself.

Ok I rewatched the show and the "If I had Lice" part of his sentence is implied obviously.

Ok if an average Joe knew he had lice (like all the other kids) he would stay quiet about it and hope it passed.

If a semi-idiot-who-thinks-he's-a-smart-ass had lice he would pretend to suspect someone else and try and pin it on them ala Cartman.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:17 pm

I'm saying it had nothing to do with lice. All it had to do with was the boys' reactions in that type of situation. Think about it:

In every situation in which one or more of the boys is guilty, Cartman would blame someone else, Kyle would blame Cartman, Stan would try to smooth things over, and Kenny wouldn't say anything. Butters, not wanting to be left out, asked them how he would react. The scene would be the same if the situation were different - "what if you broke the window?" "what if threw a rock at a fellow student?" "what if..."

At the time of the scene, each student knew he or she had head lice, but didn't know any of the other students did, and so he or she wouldn't admit to it to anyone else, which is why it remained a mystery who had it. You're applying what you know now, after Mrs. Garrison revealed all, to a moment in time when that information was not known yet, which is invalid. You are giving Butters credit where it doesn't apply.

Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:30 pm

Big-Will wrote:

At the time of the scene, each student knew he or she had head lice,

EXACTLY- which means Butters knew he had lice but we as the viewers didn't.
but didn't know any of the other students did, and so he or she wouldn't admit to it to anyone else, which is why it remained a mystery who had it.

RIGHT. We as the viewers were put in the shoes of the students. All of us believed only one student had it.

You're applying what you know now, after Mrs. Garrison revealed all, to a moment in time when that information was not known yet, which is invalid.

I don't see how it's invalid. It was as you yourself say at a point in time where "EACH STUDENT KNEW HE OR SHE HAD LICE" sure we the viewers didn't know... so when I first saw the scene it didn't even occur to me that Butters had lice but remember that the writers did. It's not as if they go into writing these scripts blind.

Just because I the viewer didn't know at the time of the scene that Butters had lice; doesn't change the fact that he did have lice and managed to come off as belieiving he didn't.

In this scene it clearly applied to who had lice even though they were basing this on previous experience with one another.
Thrawny

Postby Thrawny » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:16 pm

Rebecca is right. Butter's knew he had lice and played along with the others. Yes he did what everyone expected him to do, but so did everyone..and everyone had lice. Butters is much more clever then people give him credit for.
--------------------

Thrawny
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:33 pm

Thrawny wrote:Rebecca is right. Butter's knew he had lice and played along with the others. Yes he did what everyone expected him to do, but so did everyone..and everyone had lice. Butters is much more clever then people give him credit for.

Yeees- thankyou XD You took my page of explinations and made it like into one sentence.

Also the more you think about it the more cynical and wise-ass it becomes. "What would I do?" He says knowing damn well what he would do and it shows he also has a wiley understanding of the way people underestimate him. He's toying with them and he knows it at this point- which puts a lot of his previous statements to question.

-Now I do believe he's been played for a fool numerous times such as Jared Has Aids, he gained nothing from that, but in the case of Awesom-O and Cartman Sucks; I'm really beginning to wonder. This episode at least proves without a doubt that Butters is perfectly capable of intentional deception; not to mention using his reputation as a dimwit to his own advantage.
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:51 am

Come on, guys, it's not that hard to lie and try to pretend nothing suspicious is happening with you. D:
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:07 pm

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:which means Butters knew he had lice but we as the viewers didn't.

Did you forget your childhood already?

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:RIGHT. We as the viewers were put in the shoes of the students. All of us believed only one student had it.

See what I mean when I say you didn't see the episode? The viewer had nothing to do with the action on screen.

The rest of your argument doesn't merit response.

Thrawny wrote:Rebecca is right. Butter's knew he had lice and played along with the others. Yes he did what everyone expected him to do, but so did everyone..and everyone had lice. Butters is much more clever then people give him credit for.

By that measure, so is everyone else. :P That argument amounts to nothing.

Infusions wrote:Come on, guys, it's not that hard to lie and try to pretend nothing suspicious is happening with you. D:

Exactly. These people are just making it up now, showing their fandom instead of their reason.

Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:23 pm

There are a couple of things about Butters that would explain why he acted as he did. First, he almost always thinks of the negative consequences of his actions, i.e. "I'm gonna get grounded!" Therefore he probably had some idea of what was going to happen to him if he let it slip. Second, he usually goes along with whatever everyone else is doing, and no one else was willing to come forward either. Had Cartman confronted him directly and forced him to confess, or if Butters had been framed instead of Kenny, he probably would have broken down and admitted it right away.
peoplewhoannoyu

Postby peoplewhoannoyu » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:06 am

What would have been cool in that episode was if Butters was made fun of where he got mad and turned into Professor Chaos. Butters would have been the one who had lice and so to wreck havoc over SP he would give everybody at SPE lice (including Mrs. Garrison and Mr. Mackey)

Ha ha! :chaos: :assface:
Razvy

Postby Razvy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:09 pm

I`ll don`t say much things...
he`s just my favourite... :)

Return to “Character Discussion”