The Unofficial PC Principal Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

JVM

The Unofficial PC Principal Discussion Thread

Postby JVM » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:24 am

There were a lot of small one-off threads about South Park's newest major resident, PC Principal, but I thought we could use something comprehensive, especially since it looks likely he'll last through next season, if not remain a permanent fixture of the show to come. This is outside my jurisdiction, so it's an unofficial thread for now :P

I've come to find him a fascinating character at the conclusion of the season. While portrayed initially as aggressive and uncompromising in his beliefs, and standing out little to his fraternity brothers, he's fairly mellowed out within a few episodes and almost immediately seems more human, fitting into the town both in and out of universe better. "Safe Space" showcases this well, as he displays sympathy for Cartman and Randy, and realizes his own mistakes with Butters. He shows real concern for other characters in many of these middle episodes. By the final arc, he's contrasted effectively with his frat brothers, and we see that while he's flawed, he genuinely believes in his cause, and no irony is cast on this when he saves the town in the finale.

I'd still love to see Principal Victoria back someday, but PC Principal has certainly made himself known and carried a solid character arc throughout his season on the show. I'm curious to see what directions he's taken in for the series' future.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
kfgg

Re: The Unofficial PC Principal Discussion Thread

Postby kfgg » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:44 am

Can't stand him. Principal Victoria was better. Only time I liked him was when he put that spam ad (Leslie) to bed. "You're Expelled"
Stan and Kyle :)
KeeperIXX

Postby KeeperIXX » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:00 pm

kfgg wrote:Can't stand him. Principal Victoria was better. Only time I liked him was when he put that spam ad (Leslie) to bed. "You're Expelled"
I agree with you here my friend, I've watching him throughout Season 19, I see almost no reason he shouldn't be strictly a temporary character akin to Ms. Crabtree or Ms. Choksondik from way back when.

Much of Season 19 gave the indication that PC Principal is here just as a representation of the Social Justice Warrior movement, and it shows since he's shown practically no identity outside of his ideology and he seems virtually incapable of comprehending anything that falls outside of (or conflicts entirely with) political correctness. Once Trey and Matt decide they've run out of jokes about political correctness or social justice warriors, where do you think PC Principal's gonna end up when that happens?

How does that make for a three-dimensional character?

Granted, there were moments where he occasionally recognizes his mistakes, but those moments can be counted with one hand and there are several other mistakes and hypocrisies in his actions he's failed to address (though to be fair, the show itself seems to only marginally take note of them and no one in-universe has bothered to call attention to him on those mistakes for some reason.) Heck, if you put me in the same room with PC Principal and I'd immediately list off all his unaddressed mistakes in the hopes it would put him a shock-induced catatonia, and if he attacks me in retaliation, I guarantee that unlike Cartman I wouldn't hesitate to press assault charges on him.

And there's really no reason he should be replacing Principal Victoria in any permanent capacity, especially since she's returned to South Park by the end of Season 19. Even if we argue that Victoria gets a job as a vice principal for South Park Elementary or something like that, all it would do is make PC Principal redundant by the aforementioned time where South Park eventually grows tired of making fun of all the things PC Principal represents.

With all this in mind, why did several fans suddenly decide to deem him likable after "PC Principal Final Justice"?

Seriously, maybe I'm having trouble looking past my own problems with PC Principal, but how do a few fight scenes and a speech that on one half tells us only afew things we already know and the other half says things that PCP has no evidence to properly back up suddenly make people decide "Hey, suddenly this character we mostly found unlikable is now likeable now!"?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:01 am

Just remember: Ms. Crabtree lasted eight years before she was found murdered, and there are four years left on the show's current contract.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
KeeperIXX

Postby KeeperIXX » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:46 pm

You know, I've been thinking it over, and I think I know what my biggest problem with PC Principal is;

He spent much of Season 19 having free-reign of the town !unchallenged!

Seriously, he's spent much of the season harassing both kids and adults in South Park with people giving little to no protest and giving almost no retaliation, and (aside from the 'Sponsored Content' episode) gets away with it all for practically no reason at all.

Sure, there have been other antagonists in South Park that got away scot-free with their actions, but even they had to put up with facing obstacles they had to overcome and mostly they seldom did any lasting damage to the heroes or any lasting change to the status quo (the Super Adventure Club was an exception).

Bottom line; I strongly believe that if you're gonna have a character drastically change the status quo, you should have them earn the change they want to make.

The only time PC Principal has ever earned anything was in 'PC Principal Final Justice' where he killed Leslie while she was trying to set him up to be killed, which seemed to allowed him to earn the town's trust (though what good it does him or the town remains to be seen). But yeah, we had to wait till the season finale for him to actually earn something he was trying to get.

In every other episode (aside from PC Principal Final Justice or Sponsored Content) had him get away with bullying people in ways even the Alpha-Betas from Revenge of the Nerds would call bullsh*t on. This is Villain Sue stuff we're dealing with, people!

With all that in mind, why do some people here find him likable?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:03 pm

If Garrison doesn't become President, he'll come back and deal with PC Principal.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Mick Bynes

Postby Mick Bynes » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 pm

I'm really not a big fan of PC Principal. They might kill him off in a later season. I know something major is gonna happen to him. I thought they would kill him off in the season 19 finale, but they didn't. He's gonna have a pretty unbelievable death, if they do kill him. I doubt he's permanent. I think something will be done to him. Maybe they won't kill him... perhaps they'll run him out of town.
"I've never seen a homeless guy with a bottle of Gatorade" - George Carlin
FLnarRayya

Postby FLnarRayya » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:44 am

I, for one, kind of like him as much as I hate him. He's a hilarious villain, it's just instead of the classic fat kid that tries his
best to manipulate people we have that big douche who thinks he's hot sh*t and is not afraid to f*ck up some people. Every
single time I see him I start laughing of his douchbagness. I showed him on season 19 to one of my friend and we just kept
laughing. I may hate him but I think he's too valuable to kill off.
Eh buddy! I know the Mass Effect reference in my name doesn't make sense here,
but it's my way of showing you what kind of guy I am.
Jesi

Postby Jesi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:53 am

I love this character!

"He is a maniacal idealist who passionately supports equal rights for all, often to the point of behaving extremely rudely and violently to anyone who shows even the slightest perceived sign of intolerance of any kind"

This kind of behavior makes me smile :lol:

Return to “Character Discussion”