List of characters who are Liberals/Democrats or Conservatives/Republicans

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

FilipoSooa

List of characters who are Liberals/Democrats or Conservatives/Republicans

Postby FilipoSooa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Liberal and/or Democrat
1. Randy Marsh
2. Sharon Marsh
3. Gerald Broflovski
4. Sheila Broflovski
5. Steve Black
6. Linda Black
7. Mayor McDaniels
8. Mr. Richard Adler
9. Chef (don't know if he's fully Liberal like Wendy as Chef might be mainly a Libertarian since he's a live and let live person compared to Wendy)
9. Wendy Testaburger (obviously clear through her support of feminism and activism)
10. PC Principal (let it be known that PC Principal is a parody of the ongoing SJW caricature)
11. Token Black (I presume Token is a Liberal/Democrat since his parents supported Barack Obama, so by that logic, Token)
12. Stan Marsh (since Wendy and Stan have a recurring on-and-off relationship and so it's likely Stan is a Democrat)
13. Shelly Marsh (she was in rage after Mr. Garrison won the U.S. election instead of Hillary Clinton)

Conservative and/or Republican
1. Stephen Stotch
2. Linda Stotch
3. Stuart McCormick
4. Carol McCormick (I think Kenny's parents probably support the Republicans because a handout just isn't going to be enough for the McCormicks)
5. Mr. Garrison
6. Principal Victoria (although she doesn't like fellow Republican/Conservative Eric Cartman, while she sometimes sympathizes with Wendy through most of her battles with Cartman)
7. Jimbo Kern
8. Ned Gerblansky
9. Thomas Tucker
10. Laura Tucker
11. Skeeter and the Bartender
12. Mr. Mackey (supported John McCain despite being also against the war, and even disagreed with Wendy over the whole Photoshop/Kardashian situation)
13. Eric Cartman (obviously clear, and we already know he hates Wendy)
14. Darryl Weathers (redneck from Goobacks episode)
15. The Farmer
16. Ike Broflovski
17. Craig Tucker (I presume Craig is a Conservative/Republican)
18. Kenny McCormick (probably)
19. Butters Stotch (probably)
20. Heidi Turner (being Cartman's girlfriend by Season 20)
21. Bebe Stevens (I don't think she would want some promised handout at all, and I doubt she will just sit at home and do nothing)
22. Kyle Broflovski (maybe)

Honestly, I don't know if Kyle is truly a Democrat or a Republican, because his parents are Democrats/Liberals yet Ike is a Republican/Conservative supporter, and we know Kyle can choose to help Ike over their mom and dad at times, so I probably have to say that Kyle imo could be a Conservative/Republican. I know some of you may think kids like Stan, Kyle, Token, Craig, Kenny and Butters aren't politically active like Cartman, Ike and Wendy are known to do, but I'm just trying to fill out the rest of the spots in case the kids did have flashes of moments where they were politically active.

Of the kids, I think Stan, Shelly and Token probably have the same political allegiance/alignment as Wendy, while Kyle (maybe), Kenny, Heidi, Craig and Butters have the same political allegiance/alignment as Cartman and Ike. As for others like Bebe, we know she can help Wendy most of the time due to being friends, but there are also moments where Wendy & Bebe are at odds with each other, and maybe the rest of the girls, and Bebe's a wild card at best so she's ambiguous politics-wise and thus, I might very well list Bebe as a Conservative/Republican, as she stated that she wanted to grow up to be a lawyer instead of ending up like her mother in the sense of relying on beautiful looks instead of the smarts, and I think Bebe is smarter than people give her credit for.

Besides, didn't Bebe idolize Paris Hilton in the second of three Bebe-centric episodes? Because from what I recall, Paris Hilton went on to support Donald Trump, and assuming I go by that logic, I could think of that reason as to why I think Bebe might be Conservative/Republican.
Last edited by FilipoSooa on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthAl93

Re: List of characters who are Liberals/Democrats or Conservatives/Republicans

Postby SouthAl93 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 pm

What about Kyle's parents?
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
FilipoSooa

Postby FilipoSooa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:52 am

SouthAl93 wrote:What about Kyle's parents?
They are on the list. I just decided to list them individually though, to be honest. Gerald and Sheila are Liberals/Democrats. Sheila because we already know how she was in the early seasons, trying to ban Terrance & Phillip from TV channels just because she thinks it's offensive. That spells 'being overprotective' of Kyle and Ike. As for Gerald, I think he just goes along with her demands, and while he's one of South Park's "Not My Fault" kind of people, Randy has to be the worst of that lot since he gets into fights over disagreements.

I know Ike's a Conservative/Republican, but I wasn't too sure about whether Kyle's a Democrat/Liberal or a Conservative/Republican. Apart from his hatred towards Cartman, I just think Kyle might be a Republican since he doesn't always agree with his parents' overprotectiveness of him and Ike. Stan is obviously a Democrat because he agrees with everything Wendy tells him, and I don't think I can see Kyle as a Liberal/Democrat (except maybe Libertarian, like Chef).
mario88

Postby mario88 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Of course the "About Last Night" episode must be our starting point.

While some characters are open about their political preferences, for many others we can only try to do some guesswork, just for fun and with no chance of knowing for sure whether we are right or not (unless in the future they show it on a new episode),

but first, I have to tell this: FilipoSooa, how trying to avoid that your kids watch nasty stuff on tv makes you a blue or a red? and if anything, if i had to judge on that and that only, i would label sheila as a conservative, cause liberals are usually more tolerant of bad language. BUT ABOVE ALL, we see her a few seconds in About Last NIght celebrating obama's win wth gerard, so she's a liberal.

cartman hates hippies. while hating hippies doesn't necessarily make you a conservative, I find it hard to imagine such harsh hatred for them from a liberal, so i would imagine he is a conservative.

kyle always steps in to tell what's right and what not, that's an attitude more usual in liberals (like me :mrgreen: ).

but apart from ike, it's very hard to guess what the kids are for. stan, he seems to me the one who couldn't care the less about politics. i bet not even him as an adult will now what to vote.

kenny is poor, but not a redneck, therefore he's a liberal i would say. :mrgreen:

token is a tough one... he's black, which should make him a liberal; but his family is rich, which should make him a conservative. maybe a liberal, because he's rich, but not THAT rich and he is black after all. (of course we are only joking with stereotypes here, so no need to be serious about it).

bebe, like stan, doesn't seem to me interested in the slightest in politics.
Last edited by mario88 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He is the record!
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:03 pm

1. Marsh Family I remember that Randy said his household was a giant douche one but this year they were for the turd sandwich. That means they are usually republican. Also Sharon sided with voting for Garrison I believe by saying she was voting for the giant douche and Randy for the sandwich and Shelly for sandwich too. Still people changed their stances a lot.

7. Mayor McDaniels I don’t know if she is democrat but I thought the whole town was more republican so it is odd that they would vote in a democrat like McDaniel’s.

12. Stan Marsh Whale Whores makes him democrat but the first lady is out to killing bullying so who knows?

3. Stuart McCormick I don’t get your idea that the McCormick’s would vote republican other than working class blue collar kind of went republican this time but not all did. The McCormick’s are so poor I think they are on welfare all the time I think they may be more democratic.

I really love your list. I think that you should add in like 100 characters and we can all debate each one’s political affiliate.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Randy Marsh 2016

Postby Randy Marsh 2016 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 pm

JamesPolo wrote:12. Stan Marsh Whale Whores makes him democrat but the first lady is out to killing bullying so who knows?

I think he might be Libertarian since Trey Parker (who he is based of off) is also Libertarian, but my second guess is that he is a Democrat.
FilipoSooa

Postby FilipoSooa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:15 am

mario88 wrote:Of course the "About Last Night" episode must be our starting point.

While some characters are open about their political preferences, for many others we can only try to do some guesswork, just for fun and with no chance of knowing for sure whether we are right or not (unless in the future they show it on a new episode),

but first, I have to tell this: FilipoSooa, how trying to avoid that your kids watch nasty stuff on tv makes you a blue or a red? and if anything, if i had to judge on that and that only, i would label sheila as a conservative, cause liberals are usually more tolerant of bad language. BUT ABOVE ALL, we see her a few seconds in About Last NIght celebrating obama's win wth gerard, so she's a liberal.

cartman hates hippies. while hating hippies doesn't necessarily make you a conservative, I find it hard to imagine such harsh hatred for them from a liberal, so i would imagine he is a conservative.

kyle always steps in to tell what's right and what not, that's an attitude more usual in liberals (like me :mrgreen: ).

but apart from ike, it's very hard to guess what the kids are for. stan, he seems to me the one who couldn't care the less about politics. i bet not even him as an adult will now what to vote.

kenny is poor, but not a redneck, therefore he's a liberal i would say. :mrgreen:

token is a tough one... he's black, which should make him a liberal; but his family is rich, which should make him a conservative. maybe a liberal, because he's rich, but not THAT rich and he is black after all. (of course we are only joking with stereotypes here, so no need to be serious about it).

bebe, like stan, doesn't seem to me interested in the slightest in politics.
I know Kyle steps in to tell right or wrong, every now and then, pretty much as the male Wendy; and Stan (to some fans) might be a Libertarian/Democrat tweener, but then again, that can explain why Wendy can mostly come off as holier than thou to certain people, especially Eric Cartman with whom she hates with a passion, and can even be violent on certain occasions like she did to Ms. Ellen all the way back to Season 1, Episode 12 called "Tom's Rhinoplasty". Kyle was outraged when he found out that Wendy hired a bunch of Iraqi soldiers and paid them to shoot Ms. Ellen into the sun via rocket. Usually, Liberals/Democrats take things too seriously to the point of violence, as I just pointed out with Wendy, but I see Kyle standing up to fellow Liberals whether it's his parents (Sheila & Gerald), Wendy, or sometimes Stan (even if Stan's a Democrat/Libertarian tweener who is only a Democrat because of his relationship with Wendy--a feminist activist--but is resistant to hijinks and wants to maintain his own integrity but can't, making him a Libertarian, a true live and let live person.

Kyle standing up to Wendy at the end of Tom's Rhinoplasty, along with his often run-ins with his parents, kind of does seem like I painted him as a Republican/Conservative more than Stan, despite Kyle's hatred of Cartman but mainly because Ike is a Conservative/Republican. I think because Cartman, Stan and even Kenny were more developed, that could be why Kyle isn't getting much stand-alone episodes apart from Cartman vs. Kyle feud episodes, and Kyle's detractors would think of him as an underdeveloped character who never progressed beyond being Stan's sidekick, the undisputed male voice of reason (a male Wendy, minus the feminism and over-the-top Liberal Soapbox traits) and Cartman's greatest of all-time opponent.

Stan only even had short-lived rivalries with his fellow political allies in Token with his only long-term rivalry being his sister Shelly, but otherwise remained a Liberal/Democrat tweener, while Kyle often had run-ins against his mother and father, not to mention, Wendy. As for The Hobbit, all the girls were against Wendy for being jealous, and that earned her a trip to Mr. Mackey's office, and nearly earned her a trip to Jelly School, and that had to do with Wendy forcing her own opinions (a recurring pattern flaw with Wendy) and that really alienated Butters of all people, and also the girls (especially Bebe). It's just me trying to fill in the holes of political allegiances with the less obvious characters, that's why I kinda assumed that Bebe would be a Wendy clone minus the feminism and OTT soapbox activist trait, and that Bebe is more of a chilled out girl who is capable of having fun and partying like she did in Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset where Paris Hilton made a special guest appearance.

Or (in Bebe's case) if we go the same route as we did with Stan in the sense that he's a Democrat/Libertarian tweener, I think Bebe could either be a Democrat/Libertarian tweener or a Conservative/Republican. She said it herself that she wanted to be a lawyer and that she doesn't want to end up like her mom in the sense of making a career out of coasting in life using only her looks (like Ms. Stevens did), but also because she's more relaxed when it comes to glamorous flashy clothes and the glitz and glamour of having fun and throwing a party.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Worthy effort, but I think you focus a little too much on presidential politics and "handouts" never discussed in the show. We need to keep in mind that the main characters' political opinions vary a lot based on what's plot convenient. Notice how many conservative characters did not appear to support Garrison, for example.

Some ambiguous examples...
- While Sheila has always been presented as "liberal", and Trey mentioned this is an season 1 commentary track, she was originally going to be a conservative in "About Last Night..."
- Much more obviously, Gerald was a believer in 'gods and clogs' in season 2's "Chickenpox", believing poor people are necessary for blue-collar work, which leads to Kyle's flirtation with murdering poor people. He also supports the War on Drugs given "Major Boobage" and was originally going to be a conservative in "About Last Night...", until Trey decided he needed Matt and Trey together earlier. We know now he's obviously no feminist. Obama may have been an exception.
- The Blacks are presented as Obama supporters in "About Last Night..." but appear to oppose traditionally liberal hate crime legislation in "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime", so he could swing either way I think.
- Mr. Adler is an Obama supporter in "About Last Night..." but exhibited negative feelings towards political correctness in "Where My Country Gone?" and was seated with Jimbo and Mr. Garrison, both much more obviously known conservative characters. Obama, again, may have been an exception.
- I've pegged the Stotches as conservative based on "About Last Night...", but we see Stephen wavering between both candidates in "The Damned", so he seems to be more varied than I thought.
- Butters is extremely inconsistent and clearly has no idea how politics even works. I would especially contrast his potential acceptance of government money for his business in season 13's "Butters' Bottom Bitch" and his giving to the needy in "Poor and Stupid" the next year... then put that next to

I think you need a separate category for more libertarian characters, and maybe one for those trickier ones like aforementioned Gerald and Mr. Adler.
3. Stuart McCormick
4. Carol McCormick (I think Kenny's parents probably support the Republicans because a handout just isn't going to be enough for the McCormicks)
Right for the wrong reasons. The McCormicks support the War in Iraq in "I'm a Little Bit Country", oppose Kenny being taken off life support in "Best Friends Forever", and they support Garrison briefly in "Where My Country Gone?" so they would be conservative, but hardly because of 'handouts'.
6. Principal Victoria (although she doesn't like fellow Republican/Conservative Eric Cartman, while she sometimes sympathizes with Wendy through most of her battles with Cartman)
I think Principal Victoria would be more of a moderate Republican primarily concerned with fiscal issues, but not so much with social policy, although some have chalked up Garrison being disallowed as a teacher for being homosexual as her fault.
9. Thomas Tucker
10. Laura Tucker
Season 5's "The Entity" establishes that they are living on welfare, but Thomas definitely sounds like a conservative in season 19's "Tweek x Craig", but he also changes over the course of the episode... however, they both come off somewhat feminist in "The Magic Bush", where Laura is concerned about her privacy, suggests she shouldn't be concerned about shaving because of society, and in "Tweek x Craig", exhibits visible disappointment (watch her face) when Thomas isn't approving of Craig's sexuality.
12. Mr. Mackey (supported John McCain despite being also against the war, and even disagreed with Wendy over the whole Photoshop/Kardashian situation)
Mackey doesn't seem very political in general, and often expresses liberal attitudes on social issues with strong shows of tolerance even for things other characters disagree with, and his main complaint about Obama is inexperience. I would argue he leans libertarian in supporting liberal social policies and an anti-war stance while still leaning Republican potentially on fiscal policy.
17. Craig Tucker (I presume Craig is a Conservative/Republican)
Where'd you get this one from? His folks?
21. Bebe Stevens (I don't think she would want some promised handout at all, and I doubt she will just sit at home and do nothing)
This is making something out of nothing. Bebe not wanting free stuff because of having hooters isn't really comparable to feelings on government assistance. There are people who would accept a handout from a friend or neighbor but not the government, and some who are fine with free government money but would never accept money from a friend.
22. Kyle Broflovski (maybe)
I would argue that Kyle is mostly a centrist Democrat, given that whenever he opposes Cartman, he will always take the liberal position on the issue, and initially favors PCP before caving into PCP's pressure on Caitlyn Jenner, whereas the other boys' opposition seems to start from the beginning.

Some you forgot...
- Ryan Valmer is among Garrison's supporters in "Where My Country Gone?" suggesting he must be highly conservative.
- Rancher Bill Denkins defends his right to shoot the Tenormans in "Scott Tenorman Must Die" using a basic gun rights argument, obviously nervous, so he's very certainly a conservative.
- The Tweeks are conservative to libertarian, as both are happy with a gay son and enjoy the publicity, and clearly want to use liberal tactics in advertising, but Mrs. Tweek opposes business regulation in "Gnomes" and Mr. Tweek favors regulation only to get his competitor out of town.
- Roger Donovan doesn't believe in global warming, so he's almost certainly a conservative Republican.
- Liane Cartman is implied to be accepting government assistance in "Poor and Stupid", IIRC, and casts former President Richard Nixon as something 'spooky' back in "Pinkeye"... and she slept with President Clinton. :)
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
blancowhite

Postby blancowhite » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:41 am

Honestly, I see Kyle being more a libertarian than anything.
He seems pretty pro-capitalist from what I gathered in Margaritaville, and goes with the term, "either it's all ok, or none of it is" during Cartoon Wars. Actually, he may in fact be a conservative libertarian. He did seem very far left this season, although this out of character moment is explained due to his shock and rage of seeing a girl who he liked dearly being turned into a carbon copy of his arch nemesis. And judging by his reaction to it all during the season finale, he's learned his lesson.

Return to “Character Discussion”