Dr. Mephesto and Family

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

JVM

Dr. Mephesto and Family

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm sure these characters have had threads before, but with their recent feature in South Park: The Fractured but Whole (which I'm mostly treating as secondary canon) and Terrance's appearance in South Park: Phone Destroyer, along with his family appearing in the menus, I thought I'd start a new thread up.

Did you like these characters? Would you like to see them back? Glad they're absent from newer seasons? Father, but not either son? Wish they'd just be killed off for good? Maybe if they get rid of the multi-assed animals? etc.

I completely understand why they don't appear very regularly anymore but do wish they could show up once in a while for old time's sake. I think Mephesto's only made one cameo in-series since "201". I would absolutely love to see him appear at a PTA meeting or something, a context re-affirming him as the father of a child, even if it was just for a background cameo without lines. I'd obviously love to see Terrance but despite my frequent jokes, not holding my breath. Kevin was absent in the game, oddly. There's even been a few episodes where genetics were a factor, like "Eek, a Penis!" and "Holiday Special".
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Det. Sandy Vagina

Re: Dr. Mephesto and Family

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Apparently Terrance died in Mecha-Streisand despite having numerous appearances since then, lol. I don't really care for Terrance myself, but I'd be all up for having him get a recurring role, since they've killed or ignored so many characters fans want to see. It's sad when they shove a lot of characters to the side that people clearly like. Pip being a primary example.

I like Mephesto but he's not someone I feel like I need to see more of. I'm not sure how much use you could get out of a creepy man with a genetics lab.
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:53 am

Det. Sandy Vagina wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm
Apparently Terrance died in Mecha-Streisand despite having numerous appearances since then, lol. I don't really care for Terrance myself, but I'd be all up for having him get a recurring role, since they've killed or ignored so many characters fans want to see. It's sad when they shove a lot of characters to the side that people clearly like. Pip being a primary example.

I like Mephesto but he's not someone I feel like I need to see more of. I'm not sure how much use you could get out of a creepy man with a genetics lab.
I've never understood the show's penchant for introducing new characters and getting rid of old ones on such a wildly frequent basis. The animation tools are all available, Matt and Trey are still available. I sort of get that sometimes they don't find certain characters interesting, that's creating, but you see examples like Billy Miller in "Medicinal Fried Chicken" whose filling a virtually identical role to Loogie in "The Tooth Fairy Tats 2000" and it might've been logical just to use him again.

Since it conflicts with what we've see on-screen, and Terrance is in PD anyway, I rule that he's alive unless Matt, Trey or Nall were to say otherwise directly. I mean, nobody has to listen to me, I'm still just a fan, but ...

I mentioned in the previous post there's been a few episodes about genetics where he could've proven somewhat useful again... that obviously shows how far he is from active use right now though, lol
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 am

Det. Sandy Vagina wrote:
Apparently Terrance died in Mecha-Streisand...
I've scanned the original video of that episode and don't see when he died.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 am

Big-Will wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 am
Det. Sandy Vagina wrote:
Apparently Terrance died in Mecha-Streisand...
During a late quest in South Park: The Fractured But Whole, the player and the main characters enter the South Park Genetic Engineering Ranch in pursuit of the game's villain. The ranch looks wildly different than it ever has in the show, as a sprawling 'Mephesto's Tech' scientific facility more in line with the Jurassic Park Visitor's Center or Half-Life with dozens of employed scientists. During the tour, in contrast to his open remarks about wanting to be left alone in "201", Mephesto shows off his laboratory to tourists, completely absent his assistant Kevin for no stated reason, and begins by showcasing genetically-altered animals (as customary, with additional asses, plus Bunnyfish) and then on the third floor, promises to show how this technology can helps humanity. This exchange occurs:
Mephesto: ...you'll see some genetic mutations of my dead son. Most people don't remember that I once had a young child named Terrance. (passing vials containing recognizable mutations of Terrance, complete with his purple suit and thick eyebrows)
Stan: Oh yeah, I remember that kid.
Kyle: Yeah, I always wondered whatever happened to him.
Mephesto: Terrance was killed tragically when some children in tow nwere playing with a relic belonging to Barbra Streisand.
Mysterion: (to the others) Oh jeez, I think that was us.
Wendy: So you're doing all of this in order to bring back your dead son?
Mephesto: Bring him back? Oh no, I'm just trying to add extra asses to his dead corpse so he can finally rest in peace. On to the fourth floor...
It's remarked upon once later in gameplay, again as "my dead son".

I don't really treat the sequence as canon for a variety of reasons, but focusing explicitly on Terrance: the reference is unmistakably to the first season, but he's appeared in dozens of episodes since then, including tonight's episode, twenty years after his supposed death, and he's also alive and well, with new dialogue no less, in South Park: Phone Destroyer, where he can also be see on menus with his father and brother. PD is also published by Ubisoft to boot. The ranch level is fun as hell to play but it doesn't gel well with canon so I disregard it there.

So, in my conclusions, Terrance is alive, unless the show addresses it outright... which it almost certainly won't.
Det. Sandy Vagina

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:07 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 am
It was mentioned in The Fractured But Whole. Mephesto specifies that he died while "some kids were playing around with a relic belonging to Barbra Streisand"
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:41 am

I saw the quest - The Many Asses Of Dr. Mephesto - on YouTube. So much reveal there, but Mephesto's assistant Kevin should have been there instead of Terrence.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 am

Big-Will wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:41 am
I saw the quest - The Many Asses Of Dr. Mephesto - on YouTube. So much reveal there, but Mephesto's assistant Kevin should have been there instead of Terrence.
The lab looks different, Terrance is still in background shots, Kevin is absent, and Mephesto acts differently... I've been treating it as non-canonical myself.

I wouldn't have minded as much if Terrance were killed off onscreen, but the 'he's been dead for twenty years' idea is much more annoying to me.

Return to “Character Discussion”