The Official Kyle Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

A SouthPark Orange

Re: The Second Official Kyle Discussion Thread

Postby A SouthPark Orange » Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 am

Is it just me or has Kyle been a lot less likeable in the first half of season 12 than in the last couple of seasons? :?
Pip: Besides, I hate french people.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:45 am

I thought he had some good parts in this first run of s12 he seemed the most concerned for kenny in major boobage, and in tonsil trouble he was given aids how would you react.I also liked canada on strike when he was concerned about ike and tried his best to end the stike and the last 2 over logging he figured how to sort out the internet and in the last episode he helped the hostage situation by alerting the police.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
HaPpYSaartje

Postby HaPpYSaartje » Sun May 11, 2008 5:41 pm

I think that if they had killed off kyle, I would have stopped watching, becouse kyle is my favourite character.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun May 11, 2008 7:09 pm

I was merely comparing Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman to Craig's group. Don't see how they match? Watch season 1-3 again,

I thought you meant Kyle as he is NOW, not as he was in the beginning. He was a total jerk back then, but when the seriese TRANSFORMED into it's modern shape after 'Scot Tenorman Must Die," and a little before then in season 4, he's been a mature and moral, almost adult charactar.

I used to really love Kyle, but upon re-watching the episodes, I'm starting to realise just what an annoyingly pretentious, humourless and sarcastic git he can be. He's like Kyle! He really has quite the obsession with controlling Cartman's behaviour too. And for some reason thinks the whole world's his responsability. While I totally identify with him being terrofied of his controlling mum who we never see anymore, he really should've learnt to be less under her thumb. Oh, and not to be so touchy about EVERYTHING too. I love the charactar, just not as much as I used to. Since the transformation, he's had few scenes where he himself has been funny.

WELL, he can be hillarious when he gets totally pissed off. Which he does almost ALL the time. But when he's up on his high horse, he reminds me of his mum.

Is it just me or has Kyle been a lot less likeable in the first half of season 12 than in the last couple of seasons?

Kyle does seem to have regressed a bit back into his old-season ways but... He was WAY too dry and condecendig for my liking tho this season.

kyle almost made me want to convert my religion from Aithism to jewdism

South Park 's dreidle song (among other factors, like curioity and boredom) led me on a wild goose chase through wikipedia land which, after reading almost all the judaism articles, led me to make an OBSESSIVE reserch drive into that faith. The Jewish arguments against the divinity of Jesus made me renounce christianty, though when I realised you needed pure jewish blood to be a full member of the faith, I quit my attempts at that religion and eventually quit religion alltogether. Who says SP can't have a deep effect on people?

Kyle then and now has always been quite different than Token I believe.

Kyle and token eh? They are both annoyingly defensive of their ancestry, have a huge victim mentality and lack humour. Their both quite smart for their age and compared to their classmates, and both seek to be normal more than anything. They both have the same sense of justice/vengance too. They ARE pretty simmilar looking at it.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
DROP TABLE *

Postby DROP TABLE * » Mon May 12, 2008 3:01 am

I really do not see any basis for claiming that kyle is a "annoyingly pretentious, humourless and sarcastic git."

In my opinion, Kyle is shown to be able to handle situations as maturely as Stan but in a different way. I base this off of many occasions where Kyle is met with a situation where his friends do something that makes him feel uncomfortable, and he always responds by walking away.

As seen in Trapped in A Closet, South Park is Gay, and Guitar Queer-O, Kyle is capable of letting go of his friends when he no longer feels like he belongs with them. He never tries (very hard) to change his friends’ opinion about something; which people often claim make him less of a good person. However, it is my opinion that that is a more admirable trait then trying to ‘bring his friends back’ to think like he does. Why should he be responsible for changing other peoples’ minds about something?

He is also put into situations (in Cherokee-Hair Tampons and Cartmanland) where he is in need of others. You cannot relate these episodes to one such as Trapped in a Closet or Raisins where Stan is the one ‘in need,’ because in both of those instances, it was a change in Stan’s character that led him to be unhealthy to himself. In a case like that, it is not Kyle’s or any other person’s responsibility to change Stan back to how he was. In the case of when Kyle was ‘in need,’ those were instances where Kyle was put into a situation rather then him putting himself into a situation. Therefore, people who say that Kyle is less of a friend then Stan are not necessarily correct; mainly because there has never been an instance where Stan was met with an uncontrollable circumstance that forced him to be ‘in need’ of others.

My point so far is that Kyle takes sh!t from nobody, does not try and make other people think the way he does, and is capable of letting things change and dealing with that change a lot better then Stan, or any other character in the show, is.

The only thing I can see wrong with my last statement is when Kyle ultimately tried to kill the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy people. However, he was only led to this conclusion when he found himself in physical danger of others due to the Metrosexual fad (he was beat up pretty bad at school for being different). I take this to mean that he will let others go without a fight, but if they try to hurt him afterwards; he will come back and kick their asses (not literally, obviously; but you get my point).

What I have said so far, I think, is one of the largest characteristics of Kyle’s personality.

Also, Kyle and Stan are the two serious characters of the show. You can’t expect them to be funny like Cartman (Cartman’s humor generally is rooted in his excessive selfishness) or funny like Kenny (who just kind of dies all of the time); or like the other adults in the show (who are mostly extreme stereotypes). I mean, they are not black, they are not crippled, they are not overly selfish, they are not a ridiculous stereotype, and they don’t die all of the time… how do you expect them to be funny? Stand up comedy? Now that I think about it, I don’t believe that Stan or Kyle have ever made me laugh out loud before (example of me laughing out loud: “Stan told me to tell you that you are a cont…. cont…. a cont…” man that was funny :D. I actually rarely laugh out loud, only when things are as unexpected as the aforementioned example). They are still my favorite characters, but that is because of how ‘good’ of people their personalities represent. They still make the show entertaining, more so then any ridiculous stereotype or excessively selfish person could do.

The times where they are humorous are when they _are_ sarcastic. But, like I mentioned before, that sort of humor does not make me actually laugh – it just kind of makes me chuckle on the inside.

The last thing I would like to say, and I know this is slightly off topic but bear with me, is that Kyle doing acid in smug alert is a _perfect_ representation of his personality. I am really surprised that it took Mat and Trey this long to put Kyle in a situation where he does drugs. According to what I believe Kyle represents, he would be the most likely to look around, see others doing drugs who are not all necessarily bad people, and think to himself that perhaps his parents/school lied or blew-out-of-proportion some (or most) of the facts. He would then do more research into the subject, and at that point, if he decides he wants to try drugs, he would not be inhibited by worrying what his friends would think. He is capable of analyzing a situation like that, and doing something that might alienate himself from his friends. Those are facts of his personality, and have been proven in many episodes.

I think that Kyle has the best personality of all of the characters in South Park. I find myself relating to him most with the runner-up being Stan.
Mike; Off-Duty Ninja

Postby Mike; Off-Duty Ninja » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:09 am

Ahh, but drop table, you have forgotten a very important characteristic of Kyle. Kyle may be full of integrety and virtue most of the time, but he has a tendency to become unreserved and even mentally unstable when the situation appears bleak or to disfavor him. This is seen in episodes like "Tonsil Trouble" when he confronted with having AIDS, "The List" where is deemed the ugliest kid in his class and he sees Abe Lincoln, as well as in "South Park is Gay" in which you mentioned he saw it as necessary to mortalize the men of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

BTW Superiorsavior, you're right about Token and Kyle having those similarities. I guess I didn't think about those things. You gotta admit that Token is more accepting of discrimination than Kyle is though.
HaPpYSaartje

Postby HaPpYSaartje » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Well, I think that Kyle is very cute and compassionate to others. For example: when somebody crys, he is allways kind to them. And I've got to admitt that Kyle wasn't that cute in the begining of the show, but I think that we shouldn't just judge on what he was, but on who he is right now. Cartman has allways been a total dick to Kyle, and nearly everybody found that funny, me too sometimes, but when I thought about how it must be to allways been judged about your religion, I... Well, I still laught about it. But it made me thinking about how Kyle reacts sometimes. Shouldn't it be logic that Kyle kicked Cartmans ass in "tonsil trouble". Wasn't it the right thing to do if you were him?Cartman could allways just do ans say what he wanted, without any serious consequenses, so I think it was good that Kyle showed him he had gone too far. And maybe he over reacted a bit, but if somebody had infected me with AIDS, I think I would have reacted kind of the same way. And yes, he laught about Cartman having HIV, but it realy was kind of ironic, because Cartman wished Kyle had HIV a few times before:
In the episode Casa Bonita, Cartman, Kenny, and Stan are all playing video games when Kyle enters and says that he has good news, to which Cartman replies "You have AIDS?"
In the episode Woodland Critter Christmas, Cartman ends his Christmas story with the line, "And everyone lived happily ever after, except for Kyle who died of AIDS two weeks later."
In the episode Red Man's Greed, Cartman suggests giving Kyle AIDS as a potential way to raise money.
In the episode Cartman Joins NAMBLA, while playing a board game Cartman gives Kyle and AIDS card, giving him AIDS in the game.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:17 pm

My view on kyle: I relate to Kyle the most, as he's quite like me as a person, but he's not my favourtie kind of person because i notice many of my flaws on him :p Kyle has his moments, but he's not the funniest charactar, and the best charactar in a comedy IS the funniest. In dramatic episodes (if you think SP was a drama) he has dramatic potential (as the many fanfics delving into his deamons show) because of his defined and consistant personality, but the show (unless i'm mistaken) is a comedy, and so his dramatic potential isn't really to be taken into account.

Mike:off-duty Nija is completely correct about Kyle's perchant to an almost insane state when he's provoked. I think it's a curse all highly moral people face; when their system of morals and justice is challenged and collapses around them, they can't handle it and go off the rails. Look at how he deals with the perceved injustice in Cartmanland! He needs the world to work in a logical way in which the deserving get what he thinks they diserve, or he tries to make them get what they diserve. He can't bring himself to have compassion for those he doesn't think deserve it and sees the irony in people who 'deserve' pain suffering it (laughing at cartman for having aids) sometimes even working towards bringing about their 'lessons' like in Cartman Sucks (Where he makes butters get sexually abused JUST to punish cartman!) and in Ginger Kids (Where he makes cartman's torture continue as long as possible).

I think the reason he abandons his friends (Even stan in TITC) is because he's a very harsh charactar judge, especially with the people he likes, because he has high expectations of them; he acts like if they fail to live up to these expectations they arn't the kind of person he wants to be friends with. He doesn't really put much effort into his relationships, and clearly has more important things on his mind, even in FTE he didn't care much about Stan's odd behavior and just blamed Stan. The person he put up with most from was cartman in Up the Down Steroid, where he actually tried to change his mind, but he phrased it in a "i don't want to be responsable for someone going to hell" kind of way.

Remember Immaginationland where he all but gave up on Stan when he was about to die? I think he has a way of running away from his problems. Like he ran away from his mum for all these years.

Kyle only helped Cartman (in my oppinion) because he didn't want to be responsable for someone dying; like he said, he hates cartman but he himself couldn't help anyone die, because it's against his own personal morality.

OK, stan gave up on Kyle when he 'deserved' what he got and changed his personality; i think drop the table is being a harsh judge as kyle here, and is only supporting Kyle because he shares kyle's views. Kyle clearly thought Stan deserved to be miserable if he had any mental distress, and while Stan gave up on kyle in simmilar situations (South Park Is Gay in particular and the Passion of the Jew also) that just reflects Stan's bad charactar, NOT kyle's good.

Kyle takes sh!t from nobody, but in a bad way; he thinks any imperfection is sh!t and doesn't accept anyone falling from his ideal. He's tried to argue his POINTS but never to help other people, just for the sake of arguing the 'true' thing; such as the whole 'there are no psychics' shananigans.

Sarcasm doesn't do it for me either, and kyle's got a very vindictive, even bitchy, form of sarcasm, that screams I'M BETTER THAN YOU to the person he's targeting. He really isn't my kind of funny unless he's pissed off beyond repair by cartman and has one of his FUBAR moments like Mike says, which lead him into suspiciously cartman terirory, but it's funnier than cartman because he's always arguing against being like that, he's being a hypocrit.

True about kyle being a scientist at heart though, he really is the emporor of empiricism!
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

HaPpYSaartje

Postby HaPpYSaartje » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 am

OK, I have to agree with most off the stuff you said, but I think that you viewed kyle the negative way (wich you like, says your profile), while I mostly view things the positive way. That may explain our different view on the character. Now I can do two things, one: make a list with the positive things Kyle has done, or two: just agree with it, wich is the best selution for me because I'm Dutch and I found it realy hard to make no grammatic mistakes. And don't think that because I'm Dutch I don't understand the South Park humor, because I do, I can nearly perfect talk and understand the language, but I'm not so good writing it. But enough about me, I wanted to say something more about Kyle. Through the seasons, and the movie, I found out that Kyle is realy good with computers, wich is most obvious in the movie bigger, longer and uncut, and in the episode over logging. well, I hope you can agree with that.
Essey

Postby Essey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:59 am

Mike; Off-Duty Ninja wrote:Ahh, but drop table, you have forgotten a very important characteristic of Kyle. Kyle may be full of integrety and virtue most of the time, but he has a tendency to become unreserved and even mentally unstable when the situation appears bleak or to disfavor him. This is seen in episodes like "Tonsil Trouble" when he confronted with having AIDS, "The List" where is deemed the ugliest kid in his class and he sees Abe Lincoln, as well as in "South Park is Gay" in which you mentioned he saw it as necessary to mortalize the men of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Basically. XD Kyle seems to have these anger management issues. *shot* Haha, I guess his reactions to things is sadly why I like him. XD
AgY

Postby AgY » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Kyle is the best!!! I like him very much:DD He isn't annoying! he is funny and sweet :D
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: The Official Kyle Discussion Thread

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Wow, Kyle is really popular here. :) His thread has the most posts out of all the official character threads.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:06 am

That's because kyle has the most to talk about, his charactar is (i find) the deepest, even if it isn't the most funny. He's pretty realistic, and flawed though a sypathetic charactar. People on this site, i think, are inclined to be LIKE Kyle, so like him more.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Hayley B

Postby Hayley B » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:21 am

AgY wrote: he is funny and sweet :D

For the same reason, I like Kyle too. :)

Big-Will wrote:Wow, Kyle is really popular here. :) His thread has the most posts out of all the official character threads.

That is surprising and cool. I would had thought Cartman would be the most talkative character, among the fans.
Hayley B: My own name Location: Delaware,USA
Favorite South Park Character: *too many* But I like Kenny,Kyle,Cartman,Butters,Satan,& Damien.
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:20 am

i soooo wanna join plz! :D

kyle is awesome!
imo, he is the best person in south park, not the best as in the coolest, but rather the best at heart and personality
he is very compassionate, caring, logical, generous and has a very strong moral sense
he also has a lot of character and a very strong will, something i always love in a character

butters is probably equal or better at heart than kyle (he's my second fave btw), but he doesnt know how to stand up for himself, we rarely see him show signs of having any spine and that makes me pitty him and as soon as i do that he really cant be my fave character

kyle also has the bonus of being very smart, responsible, dedicated and cool

thats why i think he is really the best guy you can find in south park :wink:

btw, dude wtf?!!! we have smilies of craig, santa, timmy and paris hilton and we dont have one of kyle?!! :evil:

Return to “Character Discussion”