The Official Kenny Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Wed May 23, 2007 1:15 am

Time for another Kenny-related topic of discussion! :unhoodedkenny:

I've expanded on my theory of Kenny as an archetypal messiah figure. I recently raised the subject during a chat about theology with Cerisa, Crow, and later Athena. Here's the latest parallel I've come up with.

First of all, messianic thinking entered the Jewish mindset around the time when they were living in exile in Babylonian captivity. They dreamed that one day a great hero would rise up, help them overthrow their captors, and allow them to return to their former homeland of Judea. As the generations passed, the stories they told about the splendor of their homeland became more and more hyperbolic and exaggerated. This was the context in which the prophecies of First Isaiah were written. It was later, during the reign of the Persian king Cyrus, that the Jews were freed and given the opportunity to reclaim their homeland.

However, when they finally got there, they found a desolate land, which was nothing like what they had dreamed of, and the temple was crumbling and overgrown with weeds. The crushing disappointment the people felt made its way into the writings of the time, including Second Isaiah. Second Isaiah included the famous story about the suffering servant, which was actually intended to be an allegory about Israel itself, not a prophecy about Jesus, even though it was retroactively used to describe Jesus later on.

He had basically given up all hope that the nation of Israel would ever be restored, so he came to view the trials and tribulations of his people as part of a divine purpose. Isaiah's "servant" would suffer as a result of the sinful state of the world, which would in effect drain the world of anger, and thus restore not Israel but God's creation itself. Basically he cast the servant as a divine whipping boy.

This is where I see the parallel to Kenny's character. Whenever something bad happens, Kenny always takes the brunt of it. Fate always finds ways to screw him over, but in the process he's saved the world from the legions of hell on two separate occasions.

I only wish M&T would explore this aspect of him further. If they don't, however, I can always say I thought of it first. :D

I'll post more of my long boring theory later. :twisted:
Laforge

Postby Laforge » Sat May 26, 2007 9:21 am

People!Could you tell me where I can find Keny's fotos,without his hood?
Kennyfun_ilovehim!

Postby Kennyfun_ilovehim! » Sun May 27, 2007 1:32 am

Sscls wrote:I love kenny i want he was real and was here i would find it sooooooo nice if kenny was my brother. But he's just fiction :cartmancry:

Would you like to be Kenny's brother? :lol: I would like Kenny be real to be my best friend and then he we marry, he should be the most perfect husband of the world. :D

"If you not fight, then you will meet your destiny"
Darth Vader

My birthday in on May, 23rd Happy Birthday to me!
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Sun May 27, 2007 2:16 am

I know this is from a couple days ago, but I wanna see some more. :evil:

[quote="Kyle the Skeptic":92e15]Time for another Kenny-related topic of discussion! :unhoodedkenny:

I've expanded on my theory of Kenny as an archetypal messiah figure. I recently raised the subject during a chat about theology with Cerisa, Crow, and later Athena. Here's the latest parallel I've come up with.

First of all, messianic thinking entered the Jewish mindset around the time when they were living in exile in Babylonian captivity. They dreamed that one day a great hero would rise up, help them overthrow their captors, and allow them to return to their former homeland of Judea. As the generations passed, the stories they told about the splendor of their homeland became more and more hyperbolic and exaggerated. This was the context in which the prophecies of First Isaiah were written. It was later, during the reign of the Persian king Cyrus, that the Jews were freed and given the opportunity to reclaim their homeland.

However, when they finally got there, they found a desolate land, which was nothing like what they had dreamed of, and the temple was crumbling and overgrown with weeds. The crushing disappointment the people felt made its way into the writings of the time, including Second Isaiah. Second Isaiah included the famous story about the suffering servant, which was actually intended to be an allegory about Israel itself, not a prophecy about Jesus, even though it was retroactively used to describe Jesus later on.

He had basically given up all hope that the nation of Israel would ever be restored, so he came to view the trials and tribulations of his people as part of a divine purpose. Isaiah's "servant" would suffer as a result of the sinful state of the world, which would in effect drain the world of anger, and thus restore not Israel but God's creation itself. Basically he cast the servant as a divine whipping boy.

This is where I see the parallel to Kenny's character. Whenever something bad happens, Kenny always takes the brunt of it. Fate always finds ways to screw him over, but in the process he's saved the world from the legions of hell on two separate occasions.

I only wish M&T would explore this aspect of him further. If they don't, however, I can always say I thought of it first. :D

I'll post more of my long boring theory later. :twisted:[/quote:92e15]

Interestingly enough, I agree with you. I know I'm not the first, but Kenny sometimes struck me as a sort of Christ Figure and whipping boy even though that's probably a deeper character level than the creators were aiming for. It would be incredibly awesome if they followed this...it could lead to some [i:92e15]very[/i:92e15] interesting character development, to say the least.

I didn't find this at all boring, mostly cause it reflects some of my own views on Kenny. I'm eagerly waiting for you to continue on. :D
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Cold Machine wrote:It would be incredibly awesome if they followed this...it could lead to some very interesting character development, to say the least.

Believe me, Matt and Trey would never look into Kenny's character that deeply. They don't care enough about him to expand and develop more of his personality.

That's the way I see it anyway.
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Tue May 29, 2007 2:13 am

Oh yes, I know. I'm merely pointing out that it *would* be interesting. Not saying that it'll actually happen.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:11 pm

The site for the various chracter armies has been made. THERE IS NOTHING HERE YET. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO BUILD CRAP ON A WEBSITE, CONTACT SCHANTRAC.
http://wars_of_park.phpnet.us/
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Unhooded Kenny

Postby Unhooded Kenny » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:12 am

Time for more kenny chat.

Some Kenny firsts:

first time seen without his regular orange hood and the first episode he didn't die in: The first Mr Hankey Christmas one. In this one Kenny wears an angel costume that's all white including the hood.

first time in an episode where Kenny's hair is seen: the tooth fairy episode and he's got nothing on too, another first.

first time Kenny spoke without hood on; the Jeffersons.

first time we see Kenny's house: Thanksgiving Episode.

first time we see Kenny's dad: Death, although he looks different.

first time we see Kenny's mom: Thanksgiving Episode, also his brother.

first time we learn his last name was McCormick: Big Gay Al
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:44 am

Unhooded Kenny wrote:first time we see Kenny's dad: Death, although he looks different.

I wouldn't really count that as Kenny's dad, seeing as he was killed in that episdoe.
Unhooded Kenny

Postby Unhooded Kenny » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:58 am

swellman7 wrote:
Unhooded Kenny wrote:first time we see Kenny's dad: Death, although he looks different.

I wouldn't really count that as Kenny's dad, seeing as he was killed in that episdoe.

Mr. McCormick died and came back in a later episode, but as a less generic character. But this was the only time he died. I think this was a one time gag to show a relative of Kenny bite it.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:36 am

Unhooded Kenny wrote:
swellman7 wrote:

Mr. McCormick died and came back in a later episode, but as a less generic character. But this was the only time he died. I think this was a one time gag to show a relative of Kenny bite it.

Or it was a complete coincidence.
Last edited by swellman7 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson3.0

Postby Thompson3.0 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Kenny is amazing-period
I love him :zombiekenny:
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:09 am

first time in an episode where Kenny's hair is seen: the tooth fairy episode and he's got nothing on too, another first.

first time Kenny spoke without hood on; the Jeffersons.

Yea...but the first time he actually spoke and his hair was seen was in BLU.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:43 am

in new episodes kenny never dies why is that?
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Haven't we gone over this before?

He stopped dying because that gag got old. Real old.

Return to “Character Discussion”