Intro to season 5

Got an SP question you think other people know the answer to?

Moderator: Big-Will

rponton

Intro to season 5

Postby rponton » Tue May 23, 2006 12:30 pm

during the multitude of clips that flash on screen during the intro song, there is a live action shot of a dude getting thrown by an explosion. Its right after the shot of chef as a zombie. Any idea where this live action clip came from? It seems familiar.
Stovepipe_Jam

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Tue May 23, 2006 1:32 pm

Actually I'm pretty certain that is from the Season 4 opening credits.

And the clip is, at least I think it is, from the show A-Team, although I could be very wrong.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Tue May 23, 2006 1:35 pm

Stovepipe_Jam wrote:Actually I'm pretty certain that is from the Season 4 opening credits.

Four and five. That opener starts off from the episode Fourth Grade, when they were "teching it up."

And sorry, I don't know what it's from (although I've always thought it was pretty funny, just randomly throwing that thing in there). Just came in to state the above. :3
Stovepipe_Jam

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm

Thanks for the correction. :D

I think this might be a good question to submit to FAQ's. I think I'll go do it now.

But I swear to God I've seen that clip somewhere before.... :?
Cedric Digsby

Postby Cedric Digsby » Tue May 23, 2006 2:23 pm

The FAQs on the venerable scriptorium provide two rather conflicting answers:

http://www.spscriptorium.com/SPinfo/SPStudiosFAQ2.htm
August 4, 2001
Q: What movie is that explosion scene in the intro from?
A: It's not from any movie, it's just stock footage.

http://www.spscriptorium.com/SPinfo/SPStudiosFAQ4.htm
March 1, 2002
Q: Since the contract on the image of the guy flipping in the air in the intro ran out, will those episodes of South Park never be shown again?
A: Yes, we have the rights to rerun those episodes in perpetuity. We just can't use the clip on shows that aren't covered in the contract ("4th Grade" to "Kenny Dies")
Which means that clip won't appear in the opening sequence when the eps make it to DVD and VHS.

Yet on a Fan Site, someone in Feb 2003 said:
The bit with the guy jumping away from the explosion in season 4-5 is a clip from the film "Battle Royale" which is one of the best films ever made. So that intro wins just for that. Anyone who hasn't seen it - WATCH IT NOW.

It looks a tad modern and well-done for The A-Team.
Now accepting sig requests
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue May 23, 2006 7:39 pm

Battle Royale, eh? If I can get the movie, I'll put up a screen shot or two.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Cedric Digsby

Postby Cedric Digsby » Tue May 23, 2006 10:37 pm

No idea if that old fan post is correct; I can no longer find the site from whence it came. Maybe it was just a random bit of footage to spice up the re-energized intro for 4th Grade, although given Trey's fondness for things Japanese and sci-fi, it's quite possible he saw and enjoyed Battle Royale and felt it would be good to snip a bit into South Park. The film sounds like a dark version of South Park at its most macabre:

Battle Royale
Directed by Kinji Fukasaku
2001 -- 114 min
In a future where society is on the verge of collapse, the government takes drastic action against the problem of rebellious teenagers in this violent sci-fi opus from Japan. In the year 2002, Japan's economy has taken a dramatic turn for the worse, and massive unemployment and inflation have thrown most adults into a state of chaos; the nation's youth culture responds with unprecedented violence, delinquency, and truancy. Desperate to restore order, the Japanese parliament responds by creating the Millennial Reform School Act, in which groups of junior high students are selected at random, sent to an isolated island, and forced to play a rigorous war game, in which all but one of their number are killed. Kitano (Beat Takeshi) is an embittered school instructor who guides the 44 students of the Zentsuji Middle School's Class B through the deadly game known as "Battle Royale," as they struggle to survive against the elements and each other. Battle Royale proved to be both successful and highly controversial in Japan, where it set box-office records and prompted political leaders to call for stricter controls on violence in Japanese entertainment; the film was initially rated R-15 (no one under 15 admitted), unusual for violent films in Japan, though director Kinji Fukasaku later prepared a re-edited version that earned a more lenient classification.

But wait a minute.... 'Fourth Grade' first aired November 8, 2000. And according to info from this site: http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/movie/ Battle Royale premiered in Japan on December 16, 2000. A Special Version was released theatrically in April 2001. So how could footage have ended up at South Park Studios prior to the film's release?
That earlier fan post could well be a crock.
T&Paresweetsupersweet

Postby T&Paresweetsupersweet » Wed May 24, 2006 3:50 am

that thing about not being on the dvd....

bullsh*t

its on the dvd!
First sig made w/ pirated Photoshop. Yay piracy!
Good at Photoshop or GIMP? Click Here!
Cedric Digsby

Postby Cedric Digsby » Wed May 24, 2006 4:32 am

Yer darn tootin. The mystery is, where did that live-action footage come from? If Big-Will can't get the answer, then there's only one person who can solve a mystery like this...

This looks like a case for... Inspector Butters!

Butters: [salutes the BBS Q&A, gives stovejam the finger] Inspector Butters is on the case, ma'am! [walks away, whistling the tune of Monty Python's Spam song]

[Butters at home, night, in front of the TV, watching and rewinding the South Park Season 5 intro on DVD. He is focusing intently on a snippet of live action footage showing a dude commando-leaping from an explosion]

Butters: [taking down notes from the intro] Hmm. No, that's not Mr T, not wearing enough gold. Oh boy! Maybe it's Alf, I think he was Japanese... I'm sure I've seen this footage before. Uh, I should get to Bennigan's and look for some clues."

etc........
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed May 24, 2006 4:43 am

T&Paresweetsupersweet wrote:that thing about not being on the dvd....

bullsh*t

its on the dvd!

Is it on the Season 5 DVDs? I can see where it's on two of the Season 4 DVDs. Hm...

...sure is. I guess they got permission to keep it in the opening credits. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Cedric Digsby

Postby Cedric Digsby » Wed May 24, 2006 5:07 am

And on the Season 5 DVDs. Thank goodness. [strays off topic] The original intro had been getting so stale then - that montage and groovy new arrangement of the theme tune improved things hugely.

[saunters back on topic] And Inspector Butters is going back in the car and into the river again if he fails to solve this case.

Given that this thread is mostly about Season 5, mostly, hopefully someone will inquire about the UK release date for Season 5. If ever a question needed to be stickied... Anyway, with Matt and Trey doing the UK and Europe this year, surely one of their profit-oriented handlers will see the wisdom in speeding up the foreign release dates for the DVDs.
rponton

Postby rponton » Thu May 25, 2006 11:34 pm

I had always wondered where it came from, and recently I just got season 5 on DVD, and after watching all the episodes in one day, it really started to piss me off. I MUST KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM!!!!

Return to “Q&A”