BP vs DP

Got an SP question you think other people know the answer to?

Moderator: Big-Will

Lauren0117

BP vs DP

Postby Lauren0117 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:34 am

If anyone could answer this question I would greatly appreciate it. Why do they keep switching back and forth between saying dp and bp oil?
zzyzx 1

Re: BP vs DP

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:37 pm

In the first of the trilogy, they used BP to indicate British Petroleum's part in this past summer's oil spill. But then to make BP seem a little less, the name was changed to DP. Now in the show, they never used the term: "British Petroleum." In reference to BP/DP, they used: "Beyond Petroleum, to Dependable Petroleum." Makes DP sound less culpable for some reason than BP was.

But, the inside joke here is that DP refers to a type of, let's say, sexual position. You can read about it in any of wiki articles here

And yes, in the following trilogy episodes, I did notice M&T using BP/DP interchangeably for some reason, which was confusing to me :?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Lauren0117 wrote:If anyone could answer this question I would greatly appreciate it. Why do they keep switching back and forth between saying dp and bp oil?

No reason. Just like there's no reason for anyone to refer to Fedex Office as Kinko's except that that's what it was once.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:18 pm

I don't know :?

When a company changes their name, there is a customer's point of view and the company's point of view.

With FedEx Office, FedEx actually bought Kinko's. From a customer's point of view (pov) it's still Kinko's. But from the new owner's pov, it's FedEx Office. FedEx (to my knowledge of what I've seen in ads and such) never refer to FedEx Office as Kinko's. Maybe in the beginning, something like formerly Kinko's, but not now.

But in the Coon and Friends trilogy, BP deliberately changed their name to DP to make the situation sound not as bad as it was. I can see the customer's pov still calling DP BP, but as it was the company itself who changed the name I don't think from the company's pov DP would ever want to be referred to as BP again. But as the OP was referring to, it was the company, not the customers (or even others) who interchanged BP/DP. This is what makes no sense to me. It is the company interchanging BP/DP after the company changed the name to DP.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Maybe it's the company's way of saying that they themselves think the name change was meaningless, although not all of them agree, and some want to keep up the "DP" image.

Or... plothole.

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:10 am

Originally they wanted to be called DVDA, but the name had been already taken.
AP1028

Postby AP1028 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:04 am

I know when I saw that I wasnt thinking of DP as a sexual way. But when my sister pointed it out I soon figured out what she meant.

I felt like an idoit after that.
lexybam

Postby lexybam » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

The foundation of everything is important. If you have problem with your foundation, you will always have little problems. Initially they wanted to be known as dpva but the name was not available again. I guess that is the genesis of their problem.

Return to “Q&A”