Help identifying an episode

Got an SP question you think other people know the answer to?

Moderator: Big-Will

Professor Eric

Help identifying an episode

Postby Professor Eric » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:03 am

Hello SP Fans,

I have a question about a specific episode, but before I get to the question let me tell you why I’m asking it. As my username suggests, I’m a college professor. Like many of my fellow professors (more than you might think, believe me) I often use a SP episode (or part thereof) to illustrate some point I’m making in a class.

As it happens, I’m teaching a class in libel law and I’m looking for a very specific scene from a SP episode. Unfortunately, my memory of the episode and the scene is extremely foggy. All I remember is that a couple of the boys (I think Cartman might have been one of them) are reading a book (or magazine or newspaper). At any rate, on the last line of one of the pages of the book the author makes a statement that seems clearly to be libelous. One of the boys (again, possibly Cartman), reads this line out loud but then immediately turns the page and reads out loud the phrase “some people have said” (or some phrase like that). The whole point of the scene is that authors who write books containing libelous statements can avoid litigation by simply saying that others have made the statement. That’s all I can remember about the scene, and almost all of what I remember might be completely wrong. But I am positive that one of the boys turns the page of the book and reads a short phrase that (theoretically) immunizes what was on the previous page from litigation. I want to find this scene because the point it attempts to make, though widely believed, is legally incorrect.

That’s all I’ve got for anyone reading this post to go on. But if there is anything to the theory about the wisdom of crowds, someone reading this will know the scene I’m referring to, even if I’ve gotten a lot of the particulars of the scene completely wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Help identifying an episode

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:38 pm

You might want to ask this on reddit. This place is pretty dead, even during the season, while reddit is pretty active.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 pm

I can only think of episode "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs" as that is the only one that deals with books that I can remember. Also episode "a million little fibers" deals with books.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:37 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 pm
I can only think of episode "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs" as that is the only one that deals with books that I can remember. Also episode "a million little fibers" deals with books.
"A Million Little Fibers" doesn't feature any of the kids.

"The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs" is about people reading things into books that just aren't there. Butters' books are about conservatives? No. Butters' books are about liberals? No. In that episode, the boys try to get Butters' book banned for vulgarity, but the State Assembly focuses on the mention of Sarah Jessica Parker (465 times) in the book, and why she should be mentioned that much. The boys tell the Assemblypersons that it's only because she's so f*cking ugly, but the Assemblypersons don't buy that. Towards the end of the episode, people react so violently to the books that the Kardashian sisters and Sarah Jessica Parker end up dead. The boys decide to avoid books and just stick to watching TV.

I didn't find anything addressing libel in my transcripts or other content.

stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Could it be "Butt Out", when Cartman is reading the lines while recording the anti-smoking commercial for Rob Reiner?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:20 pm

stevesut1 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:59 pm
Could it be "Butt Out", when Cartman is reading the lines while recording the anti-smoking commercial for Rob Reiner?
Nah. When he learned what being a hero would be all about, he bolted and hid from Rob Reiner, who wanted to make a sacrifice out of him to show how bad second-hand smoke can be. Another of those self-control vs. government control episodes.

Return to “Q&A”