The BBS 2006 Post-Season Fanfic Competition - Closed!

Put your fan fiction here, and keep it nice.

Moderator: Big-Will

Kyle the Skeptic

The BBS 2006 Post-Season Fanfic Competition - Closed!

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:52 am

I've just finished running this idea by Nommel, so here goes. It's time to kick off the third BBS Fanfic Competition of the year!

Here's what I hope we can accomplish this time around.

First, while it might seem like a more balanced approach to wait until maybe some time next year, I don't think that would be fair to many of the fanfic authors who are currently frequenting this site right now. I've noticed a lot of good authors coming and going, and several of them missed out on the last contest that was held over the summer. The section has grown at an increasing rate since April, and it would give recognition to some of the newer writers.

Secondly, one of the objectives of the last competition was to allow different authors to critique each others' work and share suggestions and ideas. That didn't seem to work out too well, and I noticed that a lot of the people who took interest in the competition only offered cursory praise or criticism. I happen to believe that blind praise is a greater disservice to authors than blunt honest criticism. One cannot improve if there is no room for improvement given, and anything we can do to raise the bar can only be a good thing.

Third, I think it would get more people interested in fan works if these contests were held regularly. I know someone mentioned in the first thread that NYGuy and Robert used to hold them all the time. The last two that were held on the BBS seemed to generate a lot of positive attention.

Here's what I had in mind in terms of rules.

1. Same seven categories as before: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Mystery/Horror, First Fic, Political, and Action/Adventure. If there are any additional categories you can think of, they can be added, provided that there are enough potential entries to fill it. There should be at least 3 in order for it to qualify as a category.

2. No nominating other authors, especially if they don't frequent this site, since it may end up where an author is nominated, their work receives criticism, and he or she will never know about it. Therefore it will be by personal entry only, and only one entry per author per category. There is no limit to the number of categories you can sign up for.

3. There will be no maximum limit to the number of entries in any given category, as there was last time. However, unlike last time, you cannot enter the same fic in more than one category.

4. Eligible fics include those posted here or on fosff.net. In the interest of fairness, fics posted on ff.net will be allowed, so long as links are provided. Fics can either be finished or in progress, although for the latter there should be enough of the story completed so that readers have something to go on. In other words, no unfinished preludes or abandoned intros.

5. Slash fics are allowed, and they would go into the Romance category. If people post smut, they simply won't get voted for. I may create a separate category for Slash if there are enough of them plus Romance entries combined to split into two categories.

6. No entering anything that was already entered in a previous BBS contest, even if it didn't win anything or get voted for. However this is more to prevent an author from reentering a fic that has already won. There's no reason to use the same fic regardless, because if you wrote something like that once, you can do it again.

7. Although I don't think I have to mention this, you can only enter South Park fanfics. If it has nothing to do with SP, then it won't be eligible.

Anyone can participate, and anyone can enter. Just provide a link to your fic, and specify which category you want it in. The list of entries will be added onto as more people join.
Last edited by Kyle the Skeptic on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:24 am

Good idea KTS, I'd like to try to participate in this competition, since last time I never got around to finishing anything worth submitting.

One request/sugestion I may add: Could there possibly be a catagory for short stories, ones that only consist of one chapter? I have something I'd like to enter, but it's only a single chapter and I don't know how that would stack up against other, longer stories.

(Sorry for incoherence in this post, I can't think straight, I'm really tired.)
Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:43 am

Good Idea KTS. I think I might sign up, I've been looking for a reason to start writing fics again.
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:46 am

Cartman_91 wrote:Good Idea KTS. I think I might sign up, I've been looking for a reason to start writing fics again.

Isn't enjoying writing them enough?

Anyway, how do we go about posting which fics we wanna enter?
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:11 am

Wow, I might even consider entering my mess of a 75k+ word fic that's still in progress and might only be halfway done at this point in time.

Except people might not want to read through that much.

Still, maybe. I'll check back and see if I should.
Orange_Kenny

Postby Orange_Kenny » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:16 am

:D Ah, so good to see that my legacy of Fan Fiction on this site is still not in vein. Very nice to see such dedication to the writing world even when I've been gone for a year. I have not forgotten you guys, I've just been without the internet for a long long time. I'm in the real world living on my own and probably won't get the internet back for a while. Oh well, keep this stuff up you guys!
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:19 am

^Nice to see you again! :)
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:19 am

Nommel wrote:Anyway, how do we go about posting which fics we wanna enter?

Same way as before. Start a list and enter the names of your fics under their respective categories. Each successive entrant will update the list as we go. I'm thinking that this time it might be a better idea to put the links in the list itself, so that I don't have to run around digging them up like I did last time.
Orange_Kenny wrote::D Ah, so good to see that my legacy of Fan Fiction on this site is still not in vein. Very nice to see such dedication to the writing world even when I've been gone for a year. I have not forgotten you guys, I've just been without the internet for a long long time. I'm in the real world living on my own and probably won't get the internet back for a while. Oh well, keep this stuff up you guys!

Holy crap! I thought you were dead!

j/k :lol:
KylezGirl4Ever

Postby KylezGirl4Ever » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:51 pm

This is a great idea. I might enter in my most popular Fics a bit later, since I didn't enter them in last time.
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:23 pm

:cartmanlaugh: That's sooo funny!
Spielautomaten kostenlos spielen durch meine Homepage!

DieAchse: Hier finden Sie Alles über Roulette online.

Ein Einarmiger Bandit macht immer spaß!
Hier gibt asSpielautomaten Spiele online!
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:53 pm

XD I'll take a stab at it, even though I've only written, like, one SP story for fosff. Plus I've seen some stories around here that should have been entered in the fanfic competition but were sadly posted too late.
crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:55 pm

Athena1999 wrote: Plus I've seen some stories around here that should have been entered in the fanfic competition but were sadly posted too late.

*cough TBLTYCERA cough* :)

I'd love to actually participate in this this, I think it'll be fun.

I still didn't hear any response on the whole "short stories" catagory? Is that a no-go? :?
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:40 am

I'll take it into consideration, although we're going to need at least two other potential entries for Short Stories in order to make it into its own category. Otherwise they'd just have to be categorized by genre like any other fics.

Also, I was thinking of what TB and DA16 said back in early August, about wishing to enter TBLTYCERA in the contest. The deadline had already passed at that point, but I told them it was practically a shoo-in for Romance, if and when we get around to holding another competition. Now the only problem is that we're going to need at least 2 other romance authors willing to go up against them, in order to make it fair, because it can't exist in a category by itself.

And no, other romance works by either TB or DA16 will not be eligible for said category if they choose to enter TBLTYCERA. They'd both have to take credit for the one. However, they are certainly free to enter other fanfics in other categories.

Speaking of which, you can go ahead and post your entries already. Category, title, author, and link.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:59 am

If you want another romance work, I can throw mine into the mix. I'll wait for posting a link just to see who else comes beforehand, but... Yeah. I'll probably end up entering.
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:09 am

I'll be entering, soon as I choose which ones to enter.

I don't think I'll have a chance in romance though. :lol:

Return to “FanFics and Episode Ideas”