Why so many slash stories?

Put your fan fiction here, and keep it nice.

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Why so many slash stories?

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:35 am

Let me preface by saying I have no problem with slash. Is it my thing? No, but it can be done well enough to make it worthwhile.

HOWEVER.....
Look on page one of Fanfiction.net's South Park page. So many slash stories that it boggles the mind. It continues for a while, the OCCASIONAL humor story with the rare action story. It continues. And it continues.

So, my question is this: Why is it that slash stories are so common? Many authors write multiple slash stories and that's fine, but why is it that almost every South Park story I see now is slash? It used to be that slash was a niche category that was written well. Now it seems as if for every 2 slash fics, the rest opf the universe puts forward 1 non-slash fic.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:47 am

I know, its the main reason I don't read fics, I've been burned to many times!Its like this...

"this story seems a little overly sensitive, but its not that bad,Kyle touched stans thigh AWWW! WHAT THE f*ck... ugh, I need to take a shower now"

I wish I could write, things would be different.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:49 am

Maybe because slash is fun to read.
Stan and Kyle :)
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:57 am

My guess is, somehow (and this part baffles me), South Park managed to attract a pretty good fangirl base. I really have no idea how it did, but it did. And several fangirls tend to like slash, because they think it's hot. Re, myriads of slash.

I don't know why South Park is such a target for fangirls. I really have no idea, but because it is, well... In comes the slash.

That and come on, it's ff.net. I'm sure FOSFF (gag) doesn't have nearly as much slash.
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:26 am

Those stories make me die inside. ;__;

I, for one, can't stand slash stories. Especially the most OOC slash pairings.

[Cartman+Kyle? WTF people?]
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:40 am

Yeah, its not even that there gay, its that there vastly out of character. Your selfishly twisting the characters to your own likings, hence, ruining the them for others!
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:41 am

Can you at least make them not so....."gay"? :P
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:54 am

Wow. The thread was specifically started as just a curiosity thread, not a "let's assume every single slash fic is alike and bash bash bash it!" thread.

Nice.

"Selfishly twisting the characters to your own likings, hence, ruining them for others." Beautiful.
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:02 am

Don't you know by now that 90% of threads end in vicious arguement? :P
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:02 am

No, they don't. Also, that wasn't funny.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:13 am

It's simple. A large number of fan writers (including fanboys) have latched on to the idea that slash = instant popularity, so in an attempt to establish themselves as fanfic writers, they churn out sub par slash stories in hopes of scoring a hit. Likely there were some that were well written enough to earn popularity on their own merit, which would certainly explain the trend we see now.

As for why slash exists, I think it has to do with how fangirls don't want to have the female characters 'competing' for the male characters they have crushes on, so all the boys are turned gay to prevent this from happening. It's kind of like how some men are turned on by watching lesbians "go at it" for lack of a better term.

Personally I don't mind it, as long as the story itself is well written. I've seen it work well as angst drama or romantic comedy. Just so long as it's not shallow noobish smut, though that applies to het as well. Besides, it's not THAT far fetched for every guy in town to turn gay in South Park. Remember "Goobacks"? :D :D
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:38 am

iceiwynd wrote:No, they don't. Also, that wasn't funny.

That emote wasn't there to indicate something was funny. It was there to make the post seem positive. :D

Just like that one there!

But seriously, think about it. If you made a couple of characters that were famous worldwide, but at least 65% of those fans [More? Less?] totally ripped apart their personalities and made them do whatever the hell they wanted, don't you think you would get a bit annoyed as well?

I mean, hell, I didn't even make the characters, and constantly seeing:

Stan sat across the couch from red-haired boy. He quickly glanced at Kyle, who noticed, and glanced back. The two blushed and Kyle inched closer to Stan. Stan tried to turn away, embarressed, but couldn't help to bring his attention back to that face.

--Annoys the hell out of me. >:C

Why must all the best writers in the world be so totally blinded by a character's actually personality? D: It's neat if you wanna make your own fan character and such, or character in general, that's nice. Go ahead, make your own [fan] characters have as much buttsecks as you want.

But to take already exsisting characters that aren't your own and totally screw up their whole personality and joy in seeing that character.

That's just evil. :0
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:46 am

The funny thing is though, in SP itself there is a running gag throughout the show that hints at the two being gay. Granted this is done as a joke, but I can hardly blame slash authors for reading into it. And why not? The absurdity of it all is part of what makes it humorous. Even Matt and Trey often joke about being gay for each other.

If the characters were so rigidly set in stone that you can't extrapolate on this inference, then that would mean that a lot of fanfics in general are committing the same error whenever they build on an existing character.
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:02 am

iceiwynd wrote:No, they don't. Also, that wasn't funny.

I realized that I may have started an arguement, so I said that in an attemped to lighten the mood, and undo the damage I caused. so for some one who scorns people for starting conflict, you sure don't seem that interested in stoping it. :D
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:04 am

... I fail to see how that was positive, but alrighty then. It came off as a more "amusing" post to me though.

... Also, when was the last time I scorned someone for starting a conflict? I love those things. But your wording that I quoted was just bad.

Infusions wrote:don't you think you would get a bit annoyed as well?

I do get annoyed. Which is why I perform the simple task of simply not reading them and letting those who like it enjoy it. Besides, I probably do that myself, and I'm sure it pisses some people off, too. Yet not one person has bitched me out for that, probably because they don't see the efficiency in yelling at someone for having fun. Or at least I hope so.

Also, not all slash = omgromanticscenes!! I write a small bit of slash myself, but if anything, it's more psychotic.

Also, what KtS said.

Return to “FanFics and Episode Ideas”