Conventional Lovin' (Angus' First FanFic!)

Put your fan fiction here, and keep it nice.

Moderator: Big-Will

AngusMcTavish

Conventional Lovin' (Angus' First FanFic!)

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 am

AMT presents his first SP FanFic

Conventional Lovin'

A "How-To" narrative involving sci-fi conventions

Featuring Kyle, Stan, Cartman, Kenny, Butters, Ike and Narrator

(For Narrator, just imagine the off-camera voice as anyone you prefer, be it James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, or whoever.)

INTRO (Fade in to a randomly-chosen hotel exterior)

At a certain time each year, thousands of people flock to certain hotels to attend a weekend-long event. It is an event filled with entertaining panels, fun games, interesting guests, and people in all sorts of costume. The annual Science Fiction Convention!

(Hotel lobby, where the five boys are looking around, confused. A sign points to further into the hotel announcing "UnlimiCon 12.")

Stan: What the hell is this?

Butters (lugging suitcase): Why, don't you know? There's some spooky voice guy explaining it all to us. Funny I haven't spotted him yet.

Cartman: He said something about a convention. Doesn't look like one. Aren't they supposed to be about business and crap like that? ("Klingons" walk past, in full costume)

Kyle: Oh, brother. Well, we'd better listen and see where we're going next. Come on, Ike.

Kenny: (Yeah, let's just go.)

Normally, it is suggested that minors be accompanied by an adult and supervised at all times.

Cartman (looking to where he guesses the voice came from): And you're gonna be our supervisor, huh?

Err...yeah, sure, you could say that. For now, let's just get you to the registration stands.

(The kids make their way down the lobby hallway.)

Sci-fi conventions, or "Cons," as they're often called, are unlike any other experience. And in order to take part in a Con, you will need a wild imagination, a sense of adventure...and a badge indicating you are part of it all, and you get those at the registration windows.

Kyle: Whoa, dude! Look at all these people in line!

Stan: All this just to register?

Butters: I'll see you in a bit, fellas. I pre-registered two months ago, so I gotta get into another line.

Kyle: You what?

Butters: Sure! We're spending the whole weekend here! Why'd you think I grabbed the suitcase? Loo loo loo...

(He goes to the Pre-Reg line, which is much shorter)

Cartman (looking after Butters): God, I hate him.

(Time lapse, as the lines move on)

Whether you are just registering or have done so ahead of time, you will need to determine how long you are staying, be it one day or the entire weekend. Depending on the Con length and calendar weekend, Cons tend to run anywhere from three to five days, some longer if there's a cruise involved, for example.

Your badge name can be pretty much anything you want it to be. Many participants get their ideas from any kind of sci-fi media, like books, TV, movies, comics...you get the idea.

(Time lapse; the boys all get their badges)

Kyle--Sentinel of Justice
Stan--Prince Adric
Cartman--Bulrog
Kenny--Loc Nar
Ike--Happy Noodle Boy
Butters--The Professor

(Continues)
Last edited by AngusMcTavish on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
teh-lolrus

Re: Conventional Lovin' (Angus' First FanFic!)

Postby teh-lolrus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Cute. I'll go along with the premise (absurd as it might be), it seems rather unique and it sounds like what really happens at a convention somewhere. Kudos for taking a different approach with the fanfic (not the same old slash/drama/action stuff, huh?)...

:wink:
._.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Ah! The professor! I'd prefer it to be a Terrence and Phillip convention, but considering Cartman's considerable love of Klingons (see Fun With Veal) this could go places. Like your descriptive eye. Evil narative voices kick ass!
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:06 pm

I can only imagine what would happen if the boys ran into Worf! :lol: Keep goin'.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:38 pm

(Time lapse; the kids are at a nearby table, sorting through the bags they received)

Upon registering, you can also expect to get a bag of free stuff as a welcoming gift. Most of it consists of promotional items for movies and books, as well as upcoming conventions in other locations. But the one thing you'll want to find is the schedule of events and panels during the Con. This way, you can find what interests you and plan your times accordingly. You can choose from anything, from book readings to movie showings to games to guest panels, or whatever else is planned.

Stan: Hey, there's something on making a short film here tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll check that out.

Kyle: Ike, look! "Make Your Own Monster Costume." I can help you with that this afternoon.

Ike: (gibberish)

Butters: I'm heading to the "Hitchhiker's Guide" video showing tonight. It's the BBC version, not the newer film, so I'm curious about that!

Stan: Hey, they have a local author for a Q & A panel at 6 tonight. Anyone else wanna come?

Cartman: Whatever...Hey, anyone see Kenny?

Stan: Yeah, he said he was looking in on the possibility of Volunteer work, so he stayed behind at the tables outside Registration.

(At the tables, Kenny is looking over all the Con exhibits)

Yes, it's true. Any Con member can also volunteer to set up for any event he or she so chooses. It's a good way to meet others involved and get to know more about the related event. However, this is only volunteer work, and no pay is involved.

Kenny: (What?! Aw, screw this!) (walks away)

(Time lapse; Stan, Cartman and Kenny attend the Author's panel)

Guests can vary from Con to Con, and can be known through books, art, movies, TV, and sometimes even music, wherever fantasy plays. It is important to emphasize that when attending a Guest panel to know what kind of question is good to ask.

Stan: Yeah, I've got one. You must have other authors as inspiration for your ideas. Who would you recommend?

(Author replies, but is overshadowed for the narration)

Ah, that's excellent, Stan! Yes, it is a good idea to ask about outside sources. You can look for connections between authors and their works.

Cartman: Yes, when you said that...

(fast forward)

One thing you do not want to do is get overly technical about what had been written. It's a sign of ignorance on the fan's part, and after all, it's just entertainment and nothing but. If you learn not to pick a story apart like some do mushrooms on a pizza, you may enjoy it more.

Kenny: (long muffled question)

Stan (shocked): Dude!!

Cartman: Heh heh heh...

Uhhhmm, perhaps we should move along, now.

(Time lapse; after costume crafts panel)

Kyle: Come on, Ike. You look great.

Ike: Ohhh, 'kay. (exits room, looking like a purple jellyfish monster)

You are more than likely to see all sorts of people walking the halls in costume. Some are more lavish and detailed than others...

(A man in full knight's armor walks past)

...while others may look like things were just thrown together.

(Another trying to look like Doctor Who [Tom Baker] is seen talking to a woman in a Xena outfit, while Butters, as Prof. Chaos, looks on)

It may come as disturbing as to how far they go or how much they know about certain aspects of sci-fi/fantasy, like the Trekkies of long ago, but it is important to clear any misconception of how many of the attendants lack a life. Some of them may have made the money needed to have these outfits made, and may not necessarily act out as the proverbial "geek."

(Guy in Snape outfit sees Ike's outfit)

"Snape": Whoa, cool costume, kid! (to Kyle) Hey, he looks just like the ocean monster in episode 308 of "Prince Victor's Alias," where Vic's gotta battle a sea monster, but it just turns out to be...

Well, there are always exceptions...

(Continues)
Butterslover21

Postby Butterslover21 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:16 am

nice fanfic!
honk if you're f*cking steve carell (cause i really wish i was!)

"i like girls with big fat titties, i like girls with deep vaginas" - kenny
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:41 am

It's enjoyable. Doesn't seem to be going anywhere currently, but I await the next part.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:41 am

Thanks, guys, for the feedback! Moving along...

(Butters continues to stroll around in his Prof. Chaos outfit)

There are two things to remember about Con members in costume. First, there's the occasional person who is so impressed that they absolutely must take a picture.

(Man as Red Dwarf hologram, "H" on head, approaches Butters)

RD Fan: Man, cool threads! Okay if I get a picture, bud?

Butters (Chaos voice): Sure! (strikes evil pose with cape) Gaze upon the physical form of Chaos! Heeehhh hahahahahahahaaaah!

(RD Fan gets perfect photo and thanks him)

It is considered courtesy to ask before taking the picture.

(Butters approaches one table where some conversation takes place with a volunteer and a "knight")

The other thing to remember is while the costume may not be complete without a replica weapon, like a sword or a phaser, it is stressed that no such weapons are allowed on the grounds.

Butters (to narrator): Oh, that's okay. I don't have to worry about that. (to evil voice) Professor Chaos has no need for weapons! (laughs as he slinks away)

(The next day; a large room with tables and merchandise, filled with people)

Ah! The Dealer Room! Vendors from all over the region and beyond come to these events, selling anything fitting for the Con. Action figures and comics. Books and videos. Costumes and T-shirts. And whatever other things relating to sci-fi, fantasy, Japanese anime, and whatever.

(The boys are seen at different tables, looking over what they'd like to get. Time lapse; they exit the DR)

Stan: I got this shirt for Battlestar Galactica. What'd you get, Kyle?

Kyle: This book is the first in a "man-ga" series for "In the Balance," where a guy fights impending doom with a diamond sword.

Cartman: I got this sweet Battlestar Galactica DVD!

Stan (reading DVD): "Copyright 1979..." (to Kyle) You wanna tell him or should I?

Kyle: No, let him figure out the difference. I got Ike a build-your-own model of a ship from Stargate. He'll have fun with that.

Kenny: (I got all this!)

Stan: A deck of gaming cards and a set of dice?

Kenny: (Yeah! I'm heading to the gaming room tomorrow. Wanna come?)

Cartman: No way, dude. I hear people go in and never come out. They sit there for days until it smells like feet in there.

Kenny: (Well, fxxk you, Cartman! I'm gonna go study the rules.)

(Time lapse; evening in the hotel halls)

If you think things get a little crazy during the Con, wait until you see the parties in some of the hotel rooms at night.

Cartman: They have parties around here?

Butters: Oh boy! Let's go check 'em out!

(They approach one room with one person standing outside the door)

Doorman: Hey, guys. I'll just need to see your badges...

Cartman: Ah, yes, the badges. (He and Butters raise them into plain view) I think you'll find they're well in order, suh.

Doorman: ...and your IDs.

Cartman: Why, of course, suh, if it'll g........wait, IDs?

Doorman: Yep. You gotta be at least 21 to get in here, since they're serving drinks in here.

Butters: Aw, hamburgers! Is there a party for people our age?

Cartman (wincing): So help me, Butters, I'm gonna rip your...

Doorman: Sure, back up the hall a ways, there's one that's just right for you.

(Time lapse; they're sitting in a room with three other kids, '80s music playing overhead and a guy mixing Kool-Aid packets for "mixed drinks")

Cartman: Lame. So very lame.

(One of the other kids sits next to Cartman, wearing a Stewie-as-Darth Vader shirt)

Kid (to Cartman): So, you like Family Guy?

Cartman (getting irritated): So...very...fxxking...laaammmme....!!

(Meanwhile, Kenny continues to study the rule book for tomorrow's gaming)

(Continues)
McCormick Fan

Postby McCormick Fan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:04 pm

When you say Red Dwarf Hologram, you mean Rimmer?

Anyway, it's an intresting FanFic, and i am liking it! Hope to see more. =)

At least your getting feedback =(
The Most Under-Rated FanFic Writer since "Cyberdemons on Holiday" was banned.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm

HOW DARE YOU IONSULT OLD STYLE BATELSTAR GELACTICA?!!!!

Other than that, a great piece of advice for anyone cinsidering prostituting themselves to the Convention.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:32 pm

:thumb:
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:19 am

@McCormick Fan: Could be like Rimmer, but doesn't necessarily have to be him, just any old space hologram will do.

@superior: The opinions given to any character may not necessarily reflect on those of the author. (Hee hee...)

@Bug: Right back atcha, bud!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(The next day; Kenny gears up for the big day at the gaming room, packing his cards and dice like an arsenal)

Kenny (a la "Army of Darkness"): (Groovy.)

(Time lapse; Kenny comes up the hall to the GR)

Yes, it is true that no Con of this nature would be complete without the Gaming Room. No matter what you may favor, be it with modules and maps or cards and dice, many a gamer will spend as little or as much time as desired. Whatever the game, be it the "old school" Dungeons & Dragons or the variety of Magic or Pokemon, you'll find it here.

(Kenny enters the room and meets up with pimply guy in toga)

Kenny: (You play "Alien Scum?") (shows the deck)

Gamer: "Alien Scum?" You bet! Pull up a chair, kid.

Kenny: (Woo hoo!!)

(Playing starts, but we only see scenes of it, along with a clock showing a couple of hours lapsing)

(Meanwhile, Stan enters another area)

Be sure to also enter the Art Gallery while you visit. There, you will find many different styles, taking on many great aspects of the genre.

(A few cut scenes as Stan observes: A dragon made of welded copper, a "Lord of the Rings" lithograph featuring an all-hamster cast, and a trip to outer space made with a 3-D computer program)

Stan (musing): They have quite an imagination, I'll give 'em that.

(Another exhibit catches his eye. It is an old-style painting set in a forest with some small, pointy hat creatures. Two of them look to be carrying a white piece of clothing. Stan moves in to see the signature.)

Stan (in sudden surprise): Tweek?!

Tweek: AH! Over here, Stan!

(Stan looks behind him to see Tweek standing there, jittery as always)

Stan: Dude, you did that?

Tweek: Yeah, dude. (whispering) These people just think it's art, but they don't know it's really a warning.

Stan: Well, how many people do you think have Underpants Gnomes problems like you?

Art fan 1, male (off to the side): I don't get it. Did it just get cooler in here?

Art fan 2, female: What are you talking about? And why are you feeling around your midsection?

Tweek (sudden shock): AAAGHGHGH!! They're here!

Stan: Where? (looks around, then stops) No, wait, dude. You're standing next to the air vent, just down along the wall?

Art fan 1: Oh! Thanks, kid. (steps away)

Stan (looks over to Tweek, then sighs): Jesus, dude.

(Time lapse; Kyle, Ike and Cartman approach Gaming Room)

Cartman: Why the hell are we going in there?

Kyle: We're not. We're supposed to meet with Kenny for lunch.

Ike: Peeeeyeewwww! (gibberish)

Cartman: I told you, dude. The closer you get to the gamers, the more it smells like feet. Or is it ass?

(They enter the doorway and see Kenny and Gamer at the table)

Gamer: Okay, it's your Military Cannon against my Saucer Lasers, and you are down to four hit points.

Kenny (picking up 20-sided die): (Let's do it!)

Gamer (rolling his die): 16! You're gonna need a 13 or better to survive.

(Kenny rolls his die. There is a slow-motion scene as the die bounces across table. You see his eyes follow, Kyle watching curiously, and Cartman's hand moving across his face, still fussing about the smell)

(The noise stops. Kenny has rolled a 3.)

Gamer: Ooh, sorry, little guy. Better luck next time.

Cartman: Wait, what just happened?

Oh, my God! They "killed" Kenny!

(Kenny looks around, confused by the statement)

Kyle: You...bastards???

(Time lapse; ballroom)

Remember all those costumed folk? Well, there's even a day for the best of the bunch. There's a contest for the best contestants, different age groups, and a grand Masquerade ball for all!

(Butters received a 2nd place medal for his Chaos outfit, and he's showing it to the others.)

Cartman: Meh. I just got here. So, who got first?

(Ike, in his garb, bounces in with his blue ribbon. Cartman tries to keep from laughing...and fails)

(Next--and last--day; main lobby. The kids all gather and are ready to check out)

Like all other good things, the Con must end as well. And so it is we must take the long trip back to reality...whatever that is.

Stan: Wait, wait. So, was there a story to all this or not?

Cartman: Beats the hell out of me.

Butters: Sure, there was!

Kyle: Really??

Butters: Yep! See, this is just a condensed look at the general goings-on at a Con. Not the adventure of just one person, but the overall outlook of the entire event! What to expect, the different experiences...it's all the fun you can have, whether you're a serious geek or not.

(pause)

Stan: So, it was just a bunch of stuff thrown together for an educational purpose.

Butters: Why, sure! What's wrong with that?

Kyle: I never really liked those kinds of stories. It seems like there's too much thrown in at once.

Cartman: Yeah, that's really lame! I only hope whoever had this sick idea never pulls that kind of sxxt again.

(bus pulls up to take the kids back home)

Kyle: C'mon, Ike. (They board; Butters is last, as he looks back at hotel and smiles)

Butters: Well...it was still fun. I'll definitely be back next year. (boards bus)

Yes, and hopefully so will you, the reader, with a little more knowledge and anticipation for what's to come at the next Convention. See you then!

(The End)
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Cool. It's almost like a fanfic tutorial for conventions! I liked this a lot; it was unique and I've never seen a fanfic done in this style. It also appealed to my short attention span, which is hard for fanfic writers to do if each chapter is gynormous. The grammar is generally spot-on and the characters' personalities work well.

Overall, great job.

:mrgreen:
._.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:20 am

teh-lolrus wrote:Cool. It's almost like a fanfic tutorial for conventions! I liked this a lot; it was unique and I've never seen a fanfic done in this style. It also appealed to my short attention span, which is hard for fanfic writers to do if each chapter is gynormous. The grammar is generally spot-on and the characters' personalities work well.

Overall, great job.

:mrgreen:

Thanks, lolrus! That's exactly what I was going for. Different, I know, but I figured it's something I can relate to, and that helps get the ideas down easier.

I even had written down the ideas on a note card and translated it to more or less their method of storytelling, although the Art Gallery was a last-minute add-on. (Yes, I admit that.)

Glad you liked what you read.

:wink:
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:08 am

...Niiice.

Return to “FanFics and Episode Ideas”