*1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

djongpoy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:12 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby djongpoy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Brendle wrote:
djongpoy wrote:M&T should really explore more on what makes Cartman who he is. All the past ep. barely hit the mark on the totality of his mind. They should really make an ep. with him having an interview with a psychiatrist

They did. It ended with Cartman framing the psychiatrist for underage sex, and making his wife kill herself.



Yeah I know its T.M.I.

But its not enough
MrMcKenzie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby MrMcKenzie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Brendle wrote:The insult was conditional. I was only calling you an idiot IF you thought there was no irony in the episode. It turns out you didn't. You're clearly NOT an idiot, judging from your reply to me.

:mrgreen: That's a big difference indeed.

Brendle wrote:Your attack on the GoT reference is unfounded IMO, since it was just a throwaway gag in the background while the REAL joke plays out (Cartman trying to court Nicole and Token in classroom). Trey just thought he'd make Garrison say something mildly amusing, because his voice is just filler in the background.

And the joke of the gag is that Garrison is indulging in his own love for Game of Thrones by talking about it in great detail, rather than doing his job and teaching the children valuable things.

The main reason I responded to you (regrettably harsh though) was because you said they "weren't trying to be funny." There is a mountain of evidence to suggest they were.

I see your point, and I had basically the same thoughts, but from a more negative view.

But I admit that I was mainly disappointed because I'm kind of a GoT fan, and I was thrilled when I saw those names on the board. But then nothing happened, apart from Cartman beeing an idiot, which felt like seen-100-times-before-and-better to me. And I think, M&T are geniouses enough to add a Garrison gag in the scene without overloading it, if they want to/have the inspiration.

It's hard to describe what really makes the most new episodes so lame for me...they just feel like breaking the formula (Mysterion, Butters being a full member of the gang, Cartman becoming a jew...) on the one side, and recycling old gags on the other. It feels like they don't really know where to go with their show anymore. And I'd understand that - They've made so many great episodes, some day they have to reach a point where they run out of ideas.
Like the episode with this training device - basically two gags (the device being like a di**, and the cooking shows being like porn for Randy), and those stretched over the whole 21 minutes.

I also noticed, that many of the newer episodes lack real side plots...like, for example, in 'The Entity' there was Kyles Cousin Kyle, and there was Mr. Garrisons monowheel-storyline. Nowadays there is often only the main plot. A side plot is not absolutely necessary, one of my favourite episodes is the straight-forward Warcraft episode; But it could help to prevail such episodes from thinning out story-/gagwise. Just thinking.

I don't know, South Park doesn't feel fresh anymore. Like the Simpsons, it's just 'going on'. There are some positive examples, T.M.I. was imo pretty oldschool and I enjoyed that. But episodes like that get pretty rare. :-/
maxbjr
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby maxbjr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

djongpoy wrote:I don't think that's enough to explain his insanity. Does he have a multiple personality disorder or something?

For crying out loud he threatens to kill jews, killed his father and didn't feel sorry about it, talks to stuffed animals like they were alive and now has an imaginary friend called cupid me.

M&T should really explore more on what makes Cartman who he is. All the past ep. barely hit the mark on the totality of his mind. They should really make an ep. with him having an interview with a psychiatrist


Yes Eric does have multiple personality disorder. There's been Jenifer Lopez, Mitch Conner, "young asian whore", Clyde Frong, Polly Prissy Pants, Rumplestilskin, Streach Armstrong, Panda Bear, and now Cupid-me. (and possably others I don't recall right now.) Everytime he "kills" some of them off, we soon see another personally show up to fill in the gap. And when Eric dresses up or takes on a role, he really plays the part. We may never know the true extent of Eric's insanity or how it all started, but there's certainly enough evidence of it to earn a few doctors degrees writing papers on it. :cartmanko'd:
InfectedStyles
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby InfectedStyles » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:32 pm

maxbjr wrote:
djongpoy wrote:
Yes Eric does have multiple personality disorder. There's been Jenifer Lopez, Mitch Conner, "young asian whore", Clyde Frong, Polly Prissy Pants, Rumplestilskin, Streach Armstrong, Panda Bear, and now Cupid-me. (and possably others I don't recall right now.) Everytime he "kills" some of them off, we soon see another personally show up to fill in the gap. And when Eric dresses up or takes on a role, he really plays the part. We may never know the true extent of Eric's insanity or how it all started, but there's certainly enough evidence of it to earn a few doctors degrees writing papers on it. :cartmanko'd:



Well most of those characters you got the name wrong....

I think that the name Nichole may have been inspired by Nichelle Nichols, who played Uhura on the original Star Trek series. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they reference the series.
nancy_tangerine
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nancy_tangerine » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Awesome mid season finale! It made me laugh and cringe and smile in the way only South Park does.

This episode leaves SO much room for speculation to do about Cartman. First off, his mental state. Sometimes I simply think fatass is some cold, unreachable sociopath, "and screw him". But when they show him being legitimately vulnerable (like in the 1% episode or now with his "cupid-me"), it makes me feel so bad for him. That kid is all kinds of messed up.

About the matchmaker thing, Cartman was mostly projecting his own emotional needs onto those couples, hence the whole thing becoming such a huge deal for him.

However, I think Cartman stumbled upon a potentially real "something" he might have for Kyle. That love confession wasn't completely pulled out from nothing, there has been a build up to this. He didn't have trouble coming up with the "we're a couple" story on the spot, he probably tapped into some possessive feelings that he really has for his friend, even without realizing it. Cartman WOULD have a hard time realizing he's capable of caring about anyone else besides himself. Anytime.

Now I can't wait for the second part of the season. Hopefully we'll have more episodes focused around Stan and Kyle, because I miss them. In the meanwhile I'll curl up in my bed and cry over how perfect for each other they are. :lol:
"Oh my God, what's up with this cartoon?!"
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18818
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm

djongpoy wrote:M&T should really explore more on what makes Cartman who he is. All the past ep. barely hit the mark on the totality of his mind. They should really make an ep. with him having an interview with a psychiatrist

Do you really wanna go down that road? Again?

Trey created Cartman to be all the things we don't want to be but would cheer someone for being from time to time. Trying to analyze that would raise far more questions than it would answer, so, do you really wanna go down that road?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
nall
Site Admin
Posts: 1646
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 2:52 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Heads up for those interested, they've been tweaking the schedules.

1608 will premiere the last Wednesday of September.
Felixa
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Felixa » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 pm

nall wrote:Heads up for those interested, they've been tweaking the schedules.

1608 will premiere the last Wednesday of September.


That's tits! Now I don't have to wait until October!
forbidden_moose
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby forbidden_moose » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:42 pm

SajiNoKami wrote:There are some people talking about being disappointed that Kyle did not get revenge. In the past anytime Kyle needs to get revenge on Eric, he usually has to stoop to Eric's level to do it and the few episodes i remember Kyle going there, becoming more like Eric, always ended badly for Kyle. Usually the result helps or makes Eric happy, in other cases, it put Kyle's world in danger. He will have to plan very carefully in a future episode for revenge, which would make him even more like Eric or he needs to just get over it and move on, which would make him less like Eric.

It's interesting you say that. i've noticed since season 15 that Kyle is becoming more and more tolerant towards Cartman when his plans have a negative effect on him, and is less often out for vengence. It's it's similar to Wendy being quick to forgive Stan's misbehavior in Bass To Mouth.
Stanluv25
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:08 pm

nancy_tangerine wrote:Awesome mid season finale! It made me laugh and cringe and smile in the way only South Park does.

This episode leaves SO much room for speculation to do about Cartman. First off, his mental state. Sometimes I simply think fatass is some cold, unreachable sociopath, "and screw him". But when they show him being legitimately vulnerable (like in the 1% episode or now with his "cupid-me"), it makes me feel so bad for him. That kid is all kinds of messed up.

About the matchmaker thing, Cartman was mostly projecting his own emotional needs onto those couples, hence the whole thing becoming such a huge deal for him.

However, I think Cartman stumbled upon a potentially real "something" he might have for Kyle. That love confession wasn't completely pulled out from nothing, there has been a build up to this. He didn't have trouble coming up with the "we're a couple" story on the spot, he probably tapped into some possessive feelings that he really has for his friend, even without realizing it. Cartman WOULD have a hard time realizing he's capable of caring about anyone else besides himself. Anytime.

Now I can't wait for the second part of the season. Hopefully we'll have more episodes focused around Stan and Kyle, because I miss them. In the meanwhile I'll curl up in my bed and cry over how perfect for each other they are. :lol:


I don't know, I think fans want to think there's something between Cartman and Kyle but I see it as nothing more than another chance to humiliate him. And he had time to think of 'we're a couple'. He could have planned it after finding out Nicole liked Kyle. Nonetheless those moments were awkward. While funny everyone thought Kyle was gay, it was still weird simply because I hate the two as even friends. And they've been too friendly lately.
It would have been funny to see Stan's reaction to Kyle 'gay' for Cartman.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18818
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Just remember: "That fat turd up there..."
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Lyon82
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Lyon82 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 pm

nancy_tangerine wrote:However, I think Cartman stumbled upon a potentially real "something" he might have for Kyle. That love confession wasn't completely pulled out from nothing, there has been a build up to this. He didn't have trouble coming up with the "we're a couple" story on the spot, he probably tapped into some possessive feelings that he really has for his friend, even without realizing it. Cartman WOULD have a hard time realizing he's capable of caring about anyone else besides himself. Anytime.


Cartman never chooses the most straightforward solution to any problem. He is good at scheming and usually does himself in due to his lack of foresight. It's not exactly out of character for him to pull something ridiculous out of his ass to keep his plan afloat. I mean, he did convince the town to revive the civil war just to win a bet against Stan and Kyle as just one example. His proclaiming a gay relationship was probably one of those since it would very definitively keep Kyle out of the equation and never even thought how it would reflect on himself, much like when he took pictures of Butter's balls in his mouth just to make Butters look gay. Cartman is pretty much every 'bad' personality trait rolled into one pudgy 10 year old.

Of course some people are already saying how they confirmed that pairing using very selective memory. They seem to ignore that Kyle had a crush on Nichole and was not at all displeased with the extra attention the girls were giving him before finding out about the rumor Cartman spread. Even before you get to his reaction to the public announcement I think it was made somewhat clear that Kyle is fond of girls.
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18818
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 pm

After his encounter with Stacey, I think he'll be gay4lyfe! :lol:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
maxbjr
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby maxbjr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:24 pm

InfectedStyles wrote:
maxbjr wrote:
djongpoy wrote:
Yes Eric does have multiple personality disorder. There's been Jenifer Lopez, Mitch Conner, "young asian whore", Clyde Frong, Polly Prissy Pants, Rumplestilskin, Streach Armstrong, Panda Bear, and now Cupid-me. (and possably others I don't recall right now.) Everytime he "kills" some of them off, we soon see another personally show up to fill in the gap. And when Eric dresses up or takes on a role, he really plays the part. We may never know the true extent of Eric's insanity or how it all started, but there's certainly enough evidence of it to earn a few doctors degrees writing papers on it. :cartmanko'd:



Well most of those characters you got the name wrong....

I think that the name Nichole may have been inspired by Nichelle Nichols, who played Uhura on the original Star Trek series. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they reference the series.


Ok, I went back and fixed the list:
Mitch Conner, Jennifer Lopez, Clyde Frog, Polly Prissypants,
Muscleman Marc, Rumpertumskin, Peter Panda and now Cupid-Me.
nancy_tangerine
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nancy_tangerine » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:15 am

Lyon82 wrote:Cartman never chooses the most straightforward solution to any problem. He is good at scheming and usually does himself in due to his lack of foresight. It's not exactly out of character for him to pull something ridiculous out of his ass to keep his plan afloat.


Yep, this is true. But I still think that a bit of a Freudian slip happened with him there. Personally, I see some strong gay tendencies in Cartman, so my interpretation on his actions is based on that.
Cartman also always has had some deep hatred for Kyle, but since things are getting nicer between them lately, maybe his feelings are developing into some kind of fondness/possessiveness. I don't think he realizes it though.

Lyon82 wrote:Of course some people are already saying how they confirmed that pairing using very selective memory. They seem to ignore that Kyle had a crush on Nichole and was not at all displeased with the extra attention the girls were giving him before finding out about the rumor Cartman spread. Even before you get to his reaction to the public announcement I think it was made somewhat clear that Kyle is fond of girls.


I think that saying that they're a pairing is a long stretch. Kyle doesn't seem to reciprocate Cartman's (fake or not) feelings at all.
But about Nichole, I'm not sure Kyle really had a crush on her. I think he was more excited about the cute new girl liking him. Last time the girls stated what they thought about him, it was to say he was the ugliest boy in school. So when all the girls in school seemed to notice him, he was really flattered. But who knows, right? Anyway, his mini date with Nichole was really cute and made me smile!

Now *puts shipper hat on* I do think that Kyle cares a lot about Stan.
"Oh my God, what's up with this cartoon?!"

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests