How Will You Survive the Fallout?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

maytess12

How Will You Survive the Fallout?

Postby maytess12 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 pm

I was watching this shocking movie with my best friend Miranda last night. It was called The Road, and it was on Netflix. It shocking and left a tornado of thoughts in my mind. I don't believe in all that 2012 sh*t. But there is a question I'm curious to hear from you:

How will you survive in a post apocalyptic world? How will you use your everyday skills or what new tactics would you develop to ensure your survival?
Zazaban

Re: How Will You Survive the Fallout?

Postby Zazaban » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:54 pm

I will melt their icy hearts with a cool island song.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is one of the best answers I've heard in a while!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 pm

maytess12 wrote:How will you survive in a post apocalyptic world? How will you use your everyday skills or what new tactics would you develop to ensure your survival?

As an inhabitant of a dense urban neighborhood in a large city, I hope to be incinerated by a thermonuclear explosion in the opening moments of an apocalypse and not have to deal with some ol' Road Warrior shit.

But if I'm unlucky enough to survive, I do have a number of skills I can draw upon.

I'm familiar with the local flora and fauna and I know something about how much of it is edible and how to collect/catch it and prepare it.
I can make fire with flint and steel.
I have encyclopedic knowledge of the geography of a huge area of this part of the continent and could easily find my way without maps or a GPS. This includes scenarios where I need to put as much distance between my dense urban neighborhood and me in the shortest amount of time when everyone else might be trying to do the same thing.
I can find my way with a compass.
I own a vehicle with off road capabilities and am experienced driving off road.
I know how to improvise a weather resistant shelter.
I've got all this camping shit that I can use.

I'd probably have to be a fast learner in dealing with guns. Since everyone's fantasy about a society-collapsing apocalypse involves stockpiling disturbing amounts of guns, that will probably come up pretty fast. I don't own guns, I don't shoot guns, I don't know much about guns and I don't particularly like guns (they make killing too easy). But since everybody else is going to be using their guns after an apocalypse, I'll need to figure it out pretty fast. I guess I'd try and hole up in the woods somewhere for a while and let the people with loads and loads of guns all shoot each other in those first chaotic days/weeks/months, and go from there.

Lastly, I think there are certain things about my lifestyle and personality that would be conducive to surviving. I won't go into any detail, but I will say that it would be relatively easy for me to pick up and leave if needed.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Dr Sleep

Postby Dr Sleep » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 pm

From the Book of Revelation to The Road Warrior; The Book of Eli to The Road; I Am Legend, its seems the apocalypse always plays a part in everyday lives. I don't know why, but the apocalypse is just one of those things I really want to see unfold before I die.

I learned some stuff from step father who was in Vietnam. Hes obsessed with Yellow Stone. He showed me everything he knew: how to handle resources, how to fire a rifle, how to purify water, hunt animals for food... and cannibalism (well no he didn't show me, but he told me stories about cannibalism by soldiers in Nam)

Actually maytess12, the question that's on my mind is: Would you do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdWA0Xw7uM (or anyone)?
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:01 am

Oh god Dr Sleep I hate that scene!
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:03 am

Dr Sleep wrote:Would you do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdWA0Xw7uM (or anyone)?

Gimmie a hundred bucks first.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:14 am

I'll start killing all the double-faced graphomaniac trolls that will keep coming over to this board no matter what, and survive on their meat. Plain and simple.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:37 am

You don't want to see Threads then!

Never be a lone wolf, it's not what we evolved for. I'd try and band together with other people, for defense, and make sure i stayed in a fairly settled area. We'd have to band together to keep safe, maintain the technology we had, and ensure access to food. GET A WATER SOURCE. The groundwater would probably still be safe as long as the water pumping station (~ 10 miles away) was safe and could keep power, maybe we could rig it to solar pannels? We've got a bunch of wind farms off the coast, we could probably keep electricity going for the smaller population just with them, to maintain our farming equipment, water pumping, cooking, lighting and stuff. Ensure everyone's psychological health is as good as can be given the situation too! I think we could rebuild pretty quickly, at least to a 18th century level, on the local level

I'm in the countryside, though the nearest town is the first to get nuked in 1984 (due to it's garrison) so we might get fallout depending on the wind direction.

Most people would be in the same boat, so I doubt there would be much competition. We'd still have the knowledge, even if our infustructure was f*cked, to try and stay clean and cook our food and stuff that our ancestors (who survived sans infustructure) didn't know. I'm sure the lack of a government to keep order and technology to maintain the food supply wouldn't DOOM me.

Many hiroshema and nagasaki inhabitants survived, the areas are still lived in, areas around them didn't get totally destroyed, so the radiation wouldn't doom me (maybe any kids i had but i wouldn't have them). Kids would drain resources, not trying in this life certainly not in radiation ville!
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
CrocoDuck

Postby CrocoDuck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 am

If I would survive I would form a raider camp composed of associates I know and their associates.

Pretty much just the same thing as those cannibals in the road but with more agriculture and structure.
Hit me up if you're in So Cal.
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 am

Not everyone's gonna be prepared for when sh*t hits the fan. Are they? We're so f*cked :(
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I think more people would be better served if they just prepared for the common natural disasters in their area than trying to survive the total collapse of civilization. If a person or family or other group of co-habitaters have the ability to get by for a couple days without electricity and/or running water that is the kind situation they are much more likely to encounter.

Knowing a few simple things about the ecosystem of your part of the continent will go a long ways toward preventing some disaster from totally surprising you.
Do you live on a historic floodplain?
How common are wildfires?
If you're near the coast, how high are you above sea level and what's the quickest path to higher ground?
How common is severe weather?
Do earthquakes happen in your area?

Snow/ice storms probably affect the most people of any natural disaster in the US since they can occur over wide areas and happen every single year. And being ready for a day or two of blackout from an ice storm or being snowbound in your house for a day or two means you are also prepared for any number of other incidents.

I'd also recommend that anyone interested in disaster/apocalypse survival go camping at least once a year (actually, I think everyone should). This activity routinely uses skills and equipment that overlap nicely with disaster preparation. Plus it's super fun to loosen civilization's grip on your life for a weekend.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:34 pm

If you think civilization has collapsed and join a mad max gang, then find out it's just a local disaster, you'll feel so silly, you silly goose.

Natural disasters, in my England?
Being in England is the best way to avoid those common disasters, that's how I'll survive the common fallout.

I'll be the mayor of smiley town. Civilization will rebuild, however small and local, I'll get in quick and run it. Need to stop camping and learn the social skills to be the tribal chief, which will help survive the fallout of the disasterous circumstance that socity doesn't collapse as well :P
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Dr Sleep

Postby Dr Sleep » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Unassumption wrote:If you think civilization has collapsed and join a mad max gang, then find out it's just a local disaster, you'll feel so silly, you silly goose.

Natural disasters, in my England?
Being in England is the best way to avoid those common disasters, that's how I'll survive the common fallout.

I'll be the mayor of smiley town. Civilization will rebuild, however small and local, I'll get in quick and run it. Need to stop camping and learn the social skills to be the tribal chief, which will help survive the fallout of the disasterous circumstance that socity doesn't collapse as well :P

I don't know Unassumption. Crazy sh*t has happened in the past.

http://www.photosfan.com/images/panoramic-high-definition-picture-of-london-after-1.jpg

As for me, well, I'll be ready.
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:09 am

Dr Sleep wrote:As for me, well, I'll be ready.

Well of course you're gonna be prepared, your the one who decided to live homeless lifestyle. I still think its utter ludicrisy.

I'm saying this because dude, you're like the ONLY interesting person on here. (beside Unassumption, M00ndragon69, and (ugly)Bob)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”