Is Homelessness an option?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Dr Sleep

Is Homelessness an option?

Postby Dr Sleep » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 am

Well because I don't want to take to much space and time, so here it goes.

Well I got my high school diploma, thats the good part. Lets just say life in Detroit is iffy. I call it Salem's Lot. And lets just say I kind of hate my step parents and and my step father struck me down, so I broke his nose.

Now for a long time I've wanted to run away. But thats being homeless. Which is exactly what I'm gonna do. However some folks have told me if I become homeless there is some advantage to it. They say if your homeless, you can do more than just beg money. You can travel from state to state and do odd jobs and rent a hotels. I might do that.
My neighbor says he did it, and i believe him. because he was homeless

And the reason I'm doing this is so I can find myself, because I feel trapped where. Everyone thinks I owe them a limit. so...

Is it the best way to do? because I'm out of options. I've got enough money though and i'm bringing my diploma, all in a backpack. and the next to West Virginia leave in a week
Zazaban

Re: Is Homelessness an option?

Postby Zazaban » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 am

Well, if that's what you've decided to do, good luck, and I hope you see a lot and I hope things work out. It will be tough though.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:12 am

Huh, my aunt lives in Detroit. Shes a video store called VID on Main Street.

So your delibratly choosing to be homeless. Thats insane
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:15 am

Good luck dude. Homelessness is an option if you want it to be. It's a choice, an any option should be.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 am

Like suicide, it's always an option, but in most situations it isn't a good one. I don't know the details of your situation, but it'd have to be very bad for homelessness to be the way out. It's a really big decision you can't take back, so calmly look at all the risks before deciding. If you're being beaten or raped, then go for it. Sorry you have to actually consider this. If you do take that route, prepare as much as you can so you can survive and hopefully get out of it.

I'm skeptical of the idea you could do odd jobs from town to town, make sure you're not romanticizing it too much. You might feel more trapped in that situation than this, and wouldn't have as many options, so make sure you look at the risks.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:37 am

If you are thinking of making that choice to find yourself, and you just got out of high school, I would reconsider..Back in the day, when I was 21, and some of my friends were a couple years younger, a few of them made the choice you are thinking of. Yeah, it sounds like you would have a lot of freedom, and yes, you wouldn't have to go to a regular job..But, there are a lot of dangerous things and people out there too. Lots of people in that lifestyle are into drugs ( and I am not just talking pot, harder drugs), and some of them got into that kind of life style, because they have a violent past..And they had no other options..People like that also often use people..They will play mind games if they think they can get something out of you.And, if they feel like it is ok to use and deceive other people to get what they need, of course they are going to target someone like you. You sound young,and very idealistic, and honestly, some people prey on people with those qualities.Do you have enough life experience to see people like that for what they really are, before something bad happens to you?

Listen, there are other paths to find yourself. There are other, safer, options. And, if you are still going to choose this lifestyle, don't do it alone. At least if a friend goes with you, you might be a little safer.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:31 am

You can be homeless but you will get a little harassed by the government and law enforcements "oy! you cant live there! go somewhere else!!" stuff like that. I bid you luck

god bless ya, kid.
Last edited by (ugly)Bob on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
CrocoDuck

Postby CrocoDuck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 am

Look you can be homeless if you want but consider this first.
Do you have a car where you can sleep in at night, Because homeless people are prone to assault, death and anything in between by crack heads and people that just want to hurt people.
Do you have any money to survive? Begging will only get you a little bit of money for food and water.
Also get out of Detroit if you're going to be homeless for obvious reasons.

No one is ever going to take you in. Find a job and move out if you find it necessary to leave your house.
Hit me up if you're in So Cal.
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Not to mention, you'll have to how to defend yourself from people who try attack you. Homeless people are more than likely to be killed by some crackhead. I have a boyfriend who was victim of hate crime. They left him bruised up from to toe, but he's okay. There is a lot of racism going on where I live, there's a neo-Nazi Skinhead a couple blocks away from me and a black panthers movement. Everyone here in South Carolina is ignorant. But if they can do this to someone who's not homeless, its not gonna hard for them to do to someone who is.

But yes. I think you should definitely reconsider, take it from M00ndragon69, Unassumption, or CrocoDuck. They seem like really smart people. I don't know you that well, but I think it would sad to hear one of our own go the way the dodo bird (... dead). Well, we would never know anyway.

But if you decide to walk that road, God be with me.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 pm

A bold move.
If you're considering being a drifter, do your homework first. There are lot of successful people without a permanent home.

If you have a job you can do at home (like web developer), it may even be cheaper to move from place to place than having permanent place you have to pay for.
You don't have to pay for hotel rooms. Have you ever heard of couch surfing? Check it out.

Every year there's an international volunteer camp being held in my town. Few volunteers from all over the world come here and do some work. Some of those volunteers don't have a permanent home. They travel from country to country doing menial tasks. Volunteer camp provides them with accommodation, food and even some pocket money.
Finding odd jobs yourself is hard. This way you can relay on other to find it for you.

As I've said. Do your homework, especially regarding legal terms. There are a lot of people doing it. Get in touch with online communities. And if you still think you're up for it, do it.

Good luck.
CrocoDuck

Postby CrocoDuck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Also you should look into joining the Job Corps.

They take you in and help you learn and get certified in a career.
That way you'll become independent and with a modest income.

http://www.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx
Hit me up if you're in So Cal.
Bonshaquitalafondria

Postby Bonshaquitalafondria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:35 am

This is exactly how I feel, just make sure you're planning things out. Who knows? Maybe we'll run into eachother. I really want to visit a hippie commune, though.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:26 am

Thank you..Yeah, I am sure there are a lot of people into the homeless life style, who are just nice hippies..But, there are dangerous people in those situations too..And, what scares the f*ck out of me, is my friend ( and yes, this is the same friend I mentioned who was made paranoid by internet conspiracy theory assh*les), is currently homeless in Hawaii..With this abusive guy he is dating, who has beaten him up..He also had charges against him for beating up his last boyfriend, and he has even held a knife to my friend's throat before. Last year, and he came back here to Washington for a month..Then he went back to Hawaii with the assh*le, and they ended up homeless, because the assh*le did something to piss off the chick they were living with. Yeah, the fact that my friend is in this situation, and he won't listen when someone tells him to get out of it, that scares the sh*t out of me. And, he was one of the people who decided to get into the homeless life style 10 or 12 years ago, and I even tried talking him out of it then. And, he has even told me he has been beaten up more than once, he doesn't know by who, and ran into some creepy people who wanted to have sex with him. And what made things worse was he decided to go on long hitch hiking trips with the same people I bitched about in the Occupy Wallstreet thread..The ones who were into meth, psycho, and were posting a bunch of sh*t on Facebook about how they wanted to start sh*t with the cops at a protest. Ever wonder why I am such a bitch? My friend's friends..He was awesome before he started hanging out with them, and frankly, I am worried if he continues this lifestyle he is going to end up dead..And I have told him so many times that a lot of people who aren't f*cked up care about him, and he needs to get away from that life style. I wish he would listen. So, you can understand why I would tell people not to do the same thing he did..You might have a lot of freedom..But, it is dangerous..You could be in situations where you have no protection from some very dangerous people. And, some times people can't tell if someone is dangerous, and not to be trusted, until it is too late.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:10 am

dude, i really really you should have a serious-honest thought about this. its a BIG move and things can and will go pear shaped. even if things are sour in your home, (if there is no form of domestic violence) i really would try and stick it out until you have a certain stream of cash headed your way that won't be short term or immediately cut off, causing you to practically starve to death. Depression WILL set in (when unprepared or slightly unprepared) and you will most likely be forced to move if you lay around outside public high traffic pedestrian areas. If you do find yourself packing and heading for the world of rain and money gripping, seek out shelters for the homeless and actively try and get shelter above yourself and actively move onto your next station. be wise and beware of crack heads and of course people who frown upon the homeless (they do exist and they are NASTY) i do not recommend your choice of action so try and seek out as OCD as you possibly can. if there is another way out. because. being homeless, i am SURE of it, is not what people usually WANT to be. Good luck and i hope your domestic problems cease and i hope you find a good way out.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Dr Sleep

Postby Dr Sleep » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Alrighty folks. I've reached a verdict: I'm still gonna do it.

I leave on Thursday. But until then, I'm gonna post like crazy. And I'm truly sorry to your stories, M00ndragon69 and maytess12. I hope your friend finds his wait or you help him. And f*ck those punk ass bitches. I know you'll do your best M00ndragon69.
maytess12, sorry to hear yours too. Its shameful that people are still living in the 1950s. We have it all in Salem's Lot, racism, sexism, and homophobes. Don't you mean "God be with you"? I'm just picking on you. Your cool with me :D
Bonshaquitalafondria, maybe we will run into each other, maybe we will.

I'm prepared for the worst. I'm gonna quote Metallica: Life is ours, we live it our way. All these words I dont just say, and nothing else matters.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”