Randy and Jimbo

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

notbillygrandpa

Randy and Jimbo

Postby notbillygrandpa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:19 am

Randy and Jimbo are brothers right? You know since Jimbo is Stan's Uncle. According to Cartman's Mom is a Slut (first half of the cliff-hanger) Jimbo says that he never knew his father then again he did remember his father and they went fishing and hunting. His father is Grandpa Marsh right?

You know what's weird is that there hasn't ever been an episode where they said out loud that they are brothers, I wonder why?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Randy and Jimbo

Postby Big-Will » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 am

Probably because they are cousins, not brothers. Jimbo's last name is Kern: Randy's dad is Jimbo's uncle. To Stan, Jimbo is an uncle. You wouldn't expect him to say "Hi, first cousin once removed!" would you?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:48 am

I heard they were half-brothers. Same mom, diff dad.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:20 am

That's an interesting alternative.

NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:26 pm

I had heard that Jimbo was originally intended to be Sharon's brother, but then they gave her a different maiden name, so they changed it to him being related to Randy. Them being cousins makes a lot of sense, because they're quite different. Half-brothers (or even step-brothers) would make some sense, too, but in that case I would expect some mention of being brothers.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:37 am

This is the thing I'm confused about, all this time I thought Randy and Jimbo were half-brothers, one of those official, unofficial things in the fandom? Like Karen McCormick. It's news to me they would be anything else. :?
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Well, if they had an episode that cleared things up with Karen McCormick, maybe they should have one to clear this up. Maybe they could also clear up where Grandpa Marsh is. He just kind've vanished like Tweek.
Can't we all just get along?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Ex1lepr0 wrote:Maybe they could also clear up where Grandpa Marsh is. He just kind've vanished like Tweek.

That's easy to do:
Tweek moved away. (when was the last time he was in the background?)
Grandpa Marsh passed away at the age of 103.

(but I bet they'll bring Grandpa back sometime in the next five seasons, heh)

Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls

Postby Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Ex1lepr0 wrote:Maybe they could also clear up where Grandpa Marsh is. He just kind've vanished like Tweek.

That's easy to do:
Tweek moved away. (when was the last time he was in the background?)
Grandpa Marsh passed away at the age of 103.

(but I bet they'll bring Grandpa back sometime in the next five seasons, heh)
I think you can see Tweek's hair in A History Channel Thanksgiving. EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong.
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
Female345

Postby Female345 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:29 am

They're half brothers according to South Park Wikia. Same mom but different fathers
Randys Father

Postby Randys Father » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:30 am

Please Trey and Matt,

Make Randy do remakes of all the classic songs, like a full version of "Carry on my wayward son", or "Message in a Bottle", "We didn't start the fire". That would be Hilarious, You could sell it on itunes as well and make a bit of dough. It would be awesome if you made videos of him doing some of these songs instead of just mp3 files, you could do some funny sh*t.

please consider
From a loyal fan,
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:24 am

Sot of a re-bump, but this topic's not been answered thoroughly. I think it's been said somewhere that Jimbo was indeed originally intended to be Sharon's brother, but Nall said around five or so years ago in the FAQ that Jimbo was actually Randy's half-brother with a different parent. Can't recall which.

Today, Jimbo would need to be in his mid-sixties or so to have served in Vietnam, whereas Randy is in his forties, and even when he ages, the nature of Vietnam will force Jimbo and Ned to be perpetually older. This means Randy would be Jimbo's younger half-brother, separated by probably twenty to twenty-five years.

I imagine, if the decision does back to Matt and Trey, it was made since Randy and Jimbo are comparatively closer characters than Jimbo and Sharon have ever been.

Jimbo's an odd character. He's almost never a big player in plots these days - even in "Where My Country Gone?" he's somewhat generic - but Matt and Trey are still very aware of him, as shown in SoT and even some of his one-off lines in recent episodes. I wonder why they never try to showcase him and Ned in episodes anymore. Matt Stone's characters in general, save Butters, mostly suffer these days in my experience.

EDIT:
nall: wallyosu asks, if Jimbo is Randy's brother, why do they have different last names?

MattStone: They are half brothers with different dads. I think that's the only way that works out right?
11/15/05 fan interview here at SPS
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.

Return to “Character Discussion”