*1904: You're Not Yelping* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

*1904: You're Not Yelping* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:57 am

Now airing on Comedy Central.
kfgg

Re: *1904: You're Not Yelping* Post-Air Discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:40 am

That was good. Always great to have original songs and great to see the City Wok guy two episodes in a row.
Stan and Kyle :)
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:42 am

This episode was fun with boogers and cum. The end song really made the episode. I felt sick and happy at the same time. I always wonder how often my food has human waste in it. I really liked when Whistling Willie kicked out every yelper. Than the yelpers destroying the businesses was a nice touch. The ISIS and Al-Qaida vids were okay. It still ended with a progressive thought but I guess I need to remember to expect that. I really have never known a yelper and I would say I agree with most of the people’s opinions. Still it was great to get to see them take it. So I guess David is sticking around. I guess South Park will have many new minority characters. I felt bad for Cartman. I can’t wait to see an episode where Cartman gets to end it with a high note but it can’t happen much. I’ll give this episode an 8/10. The song was the best part and one to listen too again. I hope I don’t get boogers and cum in my food for rating this episode!
What seems to be the officer problem?
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:49 am

6.8/10
I felt like tonight's show fell a little flat, but it's far from the worst episode I've ever seen my many miles. I just a lot of things could have been executed better and more (familiar) characters could have factored into the episode's story line. The Yelpers basically becoming the Islamic State and the song at the end we're still pretty funny, along with Whistlin' Willie's burst of rage and even getting to hear Wendy speak to that new Asian girl. Could their presence be foreshadowing what might be coming up later on this season? I don't know, but I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see what takes place. Also, is Ike going to clown school away from South Park or is he staying in town? Hopefully he doesn't fade out of the picture, he's my favorite Canadian on the show and just a pretty cool character in general.
Female345

Postby Female345 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:31 am

It was a decent ep.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 am

How do you get the Red avatar?

nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:07 am

John_117 wrote:How do you get the Red avatar?
Simply read the three words underneath her and you'll understand why.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:48 am

I was hoping last week we'd get to see more of South Park's usual restaraunts -- and I wasn't totally wrong. City Wok is still here, Skeeter's Bar is referenced twice, and Nueva Familia is important for the episode, anyhow. Whistlin' Willie's is a star of the show and comes back during the final montage, and even when it's closed, it's thematically important. We never see the inside of the newly-renovated Skeeter's Wines though, nor see Skeeter (who's yet to be see in the series as the bar owner) and Tweek Bros. Coffee seems totally excluded from things. No signs of Buca or Cafe Monet... no idea if the new progressive/hipster places will be here to stay.

This episode got some great comedic fodder from the self-absorbedness of Yelp reviewers, which was used to great effect, but I was kind of hoping they'd go beyond the restaraunt analogue and maybe examine the concept of criticism itself, something that could ironically use some serious, balanced critique. The smugness shown could easily be applied to movie reviewers or even Let's Play-ers as well - yes, many of them are cool dudes, but not every 'local critic' is a douche either. David's an interesting character and it was cool to see a new kid stand up for himself -- and funny to see Kyle be a little problematic himself. I'm still curious if these Mexicans are actually staying... and Liza, too. We also have Mrs. Nelson -- keep forgetting that one.

It was fun to see some adults besides Randy -- Gerald's been overdue for a big role and this is the first starring 'civilian' role for our lead detective - he's a great choice for it, too. Seems like he's back to old Harrison Yates again, with the same wife and house he had in season 8's "The Jeffersons". Guess they're going with my excuse that 'Harris' is short for Harrison :P We also see the old police break room from season 10 and they use the computers. Harris with his jacket seems to be his civilian outfit. So glad to see Maggie back though! As the only expert on the Park County PD there is, I have to note that while Captain Barkley is referred to as 'Mitch' this week, he has the same voice and role as Det. Murphey (who reappeared in "The City Part of Town") and Officer Adams in "#HappyHolograms", both of which are also called 'Mitch'. Starting to think Yates just calls everybody on the force that :P

Also making his return? Dr. Horatio Gouache snatches one in the episode's final montage. Though he appeared last week, and was cut from season 17's "Ginger Cow", he hasn't spoken in five years ("Medicinal Fried Chicken") and I think his absence goes back a few years more save that episode. Still, I was happy to see him again! It's also great to see Sheila again but her voice seemed to waver a lot... maybe this is why Matt and Trey rarely use her? Mona Marshall's a great voice actress as I've seen her in other program but she seems to have trouble with her South Park characters.

Absences? Mr. Garrison, Jimbo, and Ned are still out on the campaign trail, though not referenced directly this time. More surprising? No sign of PC Principal. Mr. Mackey and Jimmy were pretty big players just two years ago but have mostly been marginalized this season. Randy's also limited here, which I'm sure lots of fans are happy about. Don't think I spotted Kenny, either.

Cameos: You can spot Nichole and Leslie when there's sh*t on the floor and an increasingly rare Francis at the school in the background during "Bad to the Bone".

So, in conclusion - fun episode.

EDIT: Why is Whistlin' Willie's green? WHY

EDIT 2: Noticed in my second viewing -- geographically, Whole Foods is a block behind City Wok now, with Skeeter's Wines to the right and Red Lobster across. No idea to the left. Carol the Geologist is visible in some places. Oddly though, despite a photo of Mayor McDaniels with President Obama in her old office in the game, the new gold office instead has a photo of her with the Bush administration.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:04 am

JVM wrote:Mona Marshall's a great voice actress as I've seen her in other program but she seems to have trouble with her South Park characters.
She's pretty consistent with Linda and that one color that mixes with yellow to make orange. 8)
JOSHSKORN

Postby JOSHSKORN » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:33 am

Well it started off pretty good, then fell flat, but the ending was just pure awesome. Unfortunately, it couldn't make up for the boring parts of the episode.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:37 am

That was the cityest ending I have ever seen...

:cartmanevillaugh:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:54 am

South Park found something squarely in its wheelhouse this week: calling out douchebags for being douches by utilizing a classic role-reversal. They put the Yelp reviewers in a position where they are reacting like the restaurants they review. Fatass and his criteria for grading restaurants was fitting for him. The long version off the Mr. Hankey song from season 3 sticks out in my mind. ;)

The song at the end was fantastic; best one we've got from the show in years. Even better is it involved Fatass getting what's "cumming" to him. Not the first time he's eagerly downed that particular fluid.

Ike needing to go to clown practice got a way bigger laugh from me than you could have predicted. It was so random, yet still perfect for Ike.

I also enjoyed the 'graphic' video of Whistlin' Willy's beheading. Nice misdirection there because I thought it could go either way as that shot started.

I think my only problem was with what happens when all the self-important Yelp people start seeing each other around town with the same badge. Just sort of ignored that.

At this point, I think it's my favorite this season.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:41 am

JVM wrote:No signs of Buca or Cafe Monet...
The relocated Buca de Faggoncini is over on the block to the right, next to the relocated Steed. But Café Monet isn't shown. Skeeter's Wine Bar took over City Sushi's old spot, and thus the Tower of Peace is gone.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:48 am

A very entertaining episode. 10/10 for pure enjoyment.

Yelpers got what was coming to them.

I liked City Wok delivering to Cartman at school.

Did you notice a "blooper," in that when Cartman walked in Butter's living room, the portrait on the wall of the Stoch family is missing? There is no portrait on the wall at all. However, in Cartman's house, the family Cartman portrait with Mt. Rushmore in the background is there:

ImageImage

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”