Moderator: Big-Will

mukhtarkiani

Re: Star Wars

Postby mukhtarkiani » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:40 am

Am I the only one who didn't watch Star wars in my life? :D :D
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:31 am

It sure is reasonable for Rogue One to have the Fett. It's the right time period. And we have never seen adult Bobba Fett without the helmet, so they can cast whoever the hell they want.

If that's the case, my first guess is he'd be cast in the "anti-hero" role; the bad guy we root for. Like Walter White or Tony Soprano. They do bad, even vicious things, but we are still on their side because some other a-holes are even worse. That seems like a pop culture role custom made for Bobba Fett.

The risk will be over-playing the Fett. Part of his appeal has always been his mystery. He's stoic and committed; we only have little hints as to the man behind the helmet. It is going to be hard to strike the right balance between fleshing out his character and turning him into a overly-emotional eye-roll (like Anikan Skywalker.)

This is going to be a hard movie, I think. They are inserting themselves into the canon of original trilogy with Rogue One and that is a minefield of style and tone ready to blow up in our collective faces. The desire to appeal to modern audiences with action and special effects means they are going to compromise what we are used to in that time period of this universe that has been created. In order for this movie to work, canonically, the action sequences would have to suck by today's standards. They won't do that. So hardcore fans are going to leave the theater saying, "Oh, come on!" And casual viewers will say, "Yeah okay; whatever. Go, Space Wars."

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:32 am

mukhtarkiani wrote:Am I the only one who didn't watch Star wars in my life? :D :D
Probably. So why did you reply to this thread?

Also, change your sig or you'll be banned. We don't approve of sigs that promote online courses.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
jfast94

Postby jfast94 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:38 pm

mukhtarkiani wrote:Am I the only one who didn't watch Star wars in my life? :D :D
No. My girlfriend never has and by the looks of it (since she passes out faster than a Cosby guest when I put it on) never will.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Finally saw the film. What's with this image from the film:

At the end of Episode VI, Darth Vader removed his mask and he looked like a humpty dumpty head to me:

In the current movie, you see something like a skeleton, with teeth! Makes no sense.

And why did R2-D2 wait until the end of the movie to reveal that he had in his memory banks 99% of the map? BB-8, the focus of the entire movie, only had 1% of the map. If R2-D2 would have revealed his 99% earlier in the film, the Resistance certainly could have flown to the unmapped 1% and would have found Luke Skywalker hanging out in Ireland.

I'm a Star Trek Fan as well; glad J.J. Abrams is now doing both franchises. Waiting now for Star Wars Episode VII in 2017, and the next Star Trek on July 22, 2016 called: Star Trek Beyond.

/off topic

J.J. Abrams, with his second Star Trek "Into Darkness" being voted the worst Star Trek film in the franchise history, has given a protege, Justin Lin, the director's chair for Star Trek Beyond as Abrams was busy with Star Trek VII.

/on topic

Star Wars is now a Disney enterprise. I'm surprised the Death Star in the film was a planet, and not this:

And Walt Disney, known for films of "and they lived happily ever after," would not approved, imho, a son killing his father in cold blood as when Kylo Ren killed his father Han Solo. This is a Disney "happily ever after" moment?

jfast94

Postby jfast94 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Yeah, some plot holes big enough to fly yet another Death Star through. I think Abrams was too beholden to the fans on this one. The lore is well know, I don't think there was any reason to rehash so much. Plus, you can't get stuff like that wrong.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:42 am

ZZYZX 2 I see that the first picture you have posted is Darth Vader's helmet that must have been recovered after the Death Star blew up. I don't think it is suppose to be Anakin Skywalker's head.

I found R2D2 having most of the map data to be stupid too. I think BB-8 having all of it would have been just fine.
What seems to be the officer problem?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:38 am

Wasn't R2-D2 shut down most of the movie, reviving only long enough to reveal the rest of the map?

JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:48 am

R2D2 was like in sleep mode the whole movie because Luke was missing as far as I remember it. I don't remember anything that said or suggested that R2D2 was to go back to sleep mode after revealing the map. I expect all three robots in the next movie. R2D2 kind of came across as a total dick with the whole map business.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:19 am

I guess he was waiting for Luke to come back for him. When that didn't happen, he woke up when BB-8 showed the piece of map it had in its memory.

jfast94

Postby jfast94 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Big-Will wrote:I guess he was waiting for Luke to come back for him. When that didn't happen, he woke up when BB-8 showed the piece of map it had in its memory.
Another no explanation point in the movie (like CP3O's red arm, why?!!) I just think they could have done something better, like have Rea fix R2 somehow instead of R2 hibernating. Overall, the movie wasted a lot of time with pointless scenes when they could have used that for better character development.
jfast94

Postby jfast94 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Since I have Star Wars on my mind, how'd you all feel about the light saber battles? This one reminded me more of Empire where it was little finesse mashed with just wild brute force, where the prequels were more choreographed. What do you guys and ladies prefer? I kind of like the Empire/Force wakens style.
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:41 am

Filming for Episode VIII has commenced:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/10/st ... production
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:55 am

jfast94 wrote:
Big-Will wrote:I guess he was waiting for Luke to come back for him. When that didn't happen, he woke up when BB-8 showed the piece of map it had in its memory.
Another no explanation point in the movie (like CP3O's red arm, why?!!) I just think they could have done something better, like have Rea fix R2 somehow instead of R2 hibernating. Overall, the movie wasted a lot of time with pointless scenes when they could have used that for better character development.
I forget about C3PO's red arm but I think that it will be covered in the comic books or maybe a movie but the info on it is available online.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:59 am

jfast94 wrote:Since I have Star Wars on my mind, how'd you all feel about the light saber battles? This one reminded me more of Empire where it was little finesse mashed with just wild brute force, where the prequels were more choreographed. What do you guys and ladies prefer? I kind of like the Empire/Force wakens style.
I think as far as light saber battles go I liked the prequels though the force wakens was good to. I just didn't like mark hamell's acting with him against Darth Vader and with a light saber for some reason.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”