*2003: The Damned* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

mario88

Re: *2003: The Damned* Post-Air Discussion

Postby mario88 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:29 pm

Biolum8052 wrote: If I want to watch a drama

well, you're right about that: the way it is developing, south park is not a comedy show anymore. or at least not just that or not always. like it or not, it is a 10 episodes drama with comedy in it. of course some people don't like that, while some do. i personally like it and i do not think the show is stale. i mean, it's not like they can't make a comedy anymore, they just don't want to. after so many years, you either change the show features or you go down the simpsons' way (best show in its glorious days, now unbearable). that being said, the political parts were funny imho, the way they depict the two candidates is so close to how they are in reality.

garrison is totally like trump and so are his supporters: no matter how stupid, racist and f*cked up what he says is, they will still support him.

i enjoyed the episode, except i am surprised the danish woman took her life, she looked strong and secure. i wonder if she's actually dead. i mean, they could have staged her death as a part of denmark counter-attack.

and so, cartman has a second shot at crushing some puss (he was kissed by wendy decades ago), to say it PC-like. good for him. i guess finally showing some human vulnerability instead of always being super-aggressive makes him more interesting to ladies (at least that is the way i see it) but i still find his behaviour a bit fishy, not in this episode maybe but in the first one, when he pulled all that "girls are cool" stuff.

beside the political parts, i also liked the suspended atmosphere in the episode. my vote is 8

nwt000 wrote: In conclusion: HEIMAN FOREVER!

close enough?
He is the record!
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Little bit of deja vu here sorta
Stan and Kyle :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:48 pm

'member this?

Wait till Cartman finds out. :lol:

Hedi wears the same kind of jacket Kyle does, so she's an acceptable substitute for him if people don't wanna see Kyman. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
maedhros21

Postby maedhros21 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm sorry but the first three episodes this season have been ho hum at best.....maybe they will get better but right now it feels like they are being mailed in.
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:25 pm

South Park is starting to look and feel more like The Boondocks with each new season.

In regards to the last scene, I gotta say, Cartman's got games skills. :D
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Big-Will wrote:"The Damned" are anyone who has lost his or her online presence or quit social media, and this goes back to Kip Drordy, who didn't have any friends online. Member when that happened? :)
True, but I also think "the damned" are the electorate forced to choose between two undesirable candidates.
I'm sure Randy will be doing some more sleuthing next episode that will start to expose why we are stuck in that position.

I was a bit harsh on my feelings about Fatass maybe having a girlfriend (or at least a girl friend). It's just that he's done so much terrible sh*t over the last decade or so that I don't feel like he deserves any happiness. But I totally love the story idea of unplugging from "The Matrix" of social media and having real world experiences with other flesh & blood human beings. Like we used to do. 'member that?

You read it! You can't unread it!
CharonDynami

Postby CharonDynami » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:41 pm

The first episode this season was a little lame, but I think these last two made up for it. I loved the Cartman/Heidi line and that ending was one of the funniest things to happen on South Park (but let's not forget Butters has seen one already, member?). I still want to see where Gerald's line is going. And I disliked Stan moping around for Wendy. He's done that before. But I think that scene was more to set up that everything sucks (not just his relationship) and get Randy's story moving....HOLY sh*t. This season is adult heavy and the kids are falling to side characters.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:00 am

triplemultiplex wrote:True, but I also think "the damned" are the electorate forced to choose between two undesirable candidates.
I'm sure Randy will be doing some more sleuthing next episode that will start to expose why we are stuck in that position.
Maybe they'll used "the damned" in 2 - 4 weeks to address us voters. For now, here's what it means:

Driver: Look at them, Martha. Do you see them?
Martha: What are they?
Driver: Lost souls who have quit Twitter. Damned to just wander the earth and hang out and stuff.
Martha: They seem so lonely.

zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 am

Big-Will wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:True, but I also think "the damned" are the electorate forced to choose between two undesirable candidates.
Maybe they'll used "the damned" in 2 - 4 weeks to address us voters. For now, here's what it means:

Driver: Lost souls who have quit Twitter. Damned to just wander the earth and hang out and stuff.
In watching the episode, I was actively looking for what or whom the damned might be. I was thinking along triple's line of thought about the election, until M&T explicitly said (as Big-Will just quoted), that the damned are to just wander the earth and hang out and stuff because they have quit Twitter.

I think it's both - I disagree that
Big-Will wrote:For now, here's what it means:

is the only group for now because while it is true this was explicitly stated, South Park (the show) is more that that. Subtle and not so subtle indications are always present, leading us down a garden path in the wrong direction.

To summarize: Those in the park who gave up Twitter are the damned, as we were told, but so are other groups. The election is another. Perhaps there is a third with the split of the girls/boys. Seven episodes to go until we know for sure!

But yes, those in the park/gave up twitter are definitely one of the groups who are damned.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:18 am

Nobody wants to hear it from me, but ever since Bill Hader went full time, I swear the way the seasons have been going I call the Bill Hader effect. Last season is an example.

Some absolutely love it. Others despise it.

This serialization of the show is ruining things. At least in regards to how this show was between 1997 and I'm going to say 2014. Not completely. But honestly, why do they have to keep doing this? Being able to reset and do something new allowed more ideas without having to worry about what happened last week. More variety.

As for this episode, it had it's good moments. But it all (as I mentioned above) had to be a continuation of what began in the first episode of the season.

It's gloomy.

I'm stubborn though. We have the rest of this season and a couple more to go. I remain hopeful.
Stan and Kyle :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:40 am

Took a while for that to happen. He's been in and out of the writers' room since Season 12, and was most involved in seasons 13 (2009), 15 (2011), and 17 (2013) so far as a producer and a creative consultant. Other than that, he's just been a voice. This season so far, he has been a producer.

John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 am

CharonDynami wrote:And I disliked Stan moping around for Wendy. He's done that before. But I think that scene was more to set up that everything sucks (not just his relationship) and get Randy's story moving....HOLY sh*t.
What? It makes perfect sense, Stan is pretty clingy if you think about it.
CharonDynami wrote:This season is adult heavy and the kids are falling to side characters.
Really only applies if you're talking about the first episode this season. It's fairly balanced overall.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:36 am

A pretty good episode. At first I didn't like continuity, but I do now. The whole season is one long episode. It creates suspense. The only problem is that now we have to wait two weeks for the next ep.
So it seems memberberries are to blame for how everything sucks so much.
I liked that the police used Cartman's picture from How To Eat With Your Butt, and the old creepy guy from Butter's Very Own Episode. Member that season?
But aren't Danes Canadians of Europe? How come they look normal now? :P
marcus0202

Postby marcus0202 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 am

I have been trying to figure out where the member berries/Garrison plot line is going. I will predict that Garrison (Trump) is George W. Bush 2.0 or perhaps Ronald Reagan 2.0. Member berries make people nostalgic for things form their past (e.g., Star Wars). That is why JJ Abrams can copy the plot from the Original Trilogy and make a 2 billion reboot. In this past episode, Randy figures out that member berries are making Garrison (Trump) popular. Garrison (Trump) is also referred to as "Douche" which obviously refers to the 2004 school mascot debates, which was a parody of the 2004 presidential debates between GWB and John Kerry. Perhaps all this means is that Garrison (Trump) has merely mass appeal on South Park because he reminds people of "Giant Douche". But I think it's a deeper commentary on real life. I predict that Trump's mass appeal will be explained as nostalgic for a former president, n other words, Trump is a reboot. Trump is thought by many to be incompetent (USA Today announced this morning he's unfit for president), the same argument could be made about GWB (or perhaps former 'Bedtime with Bonzo; actor Reagan since member berries make so many 80s references). Maybe JJ Abrams who just rewrote the national anthem is secretly in charge of Garrison's campaign.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:47 pm

about the danes, i guess they wouldn't have made for a credible enemy with a canada face, so they had to drop that.

by the way, why the Danes? i mean, was it a more or less random pick or was there a particular reason for which it had to be a danish woman and then the whole denmark?
He is the record!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”