*2009: Not Funny* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

*2009: Not Funny* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:08 am

This episode is "Not Funny."
kfgg

Re: *2009: Not Funny* Post-Air Discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:13 am

Wow, Mr. Slave

Matt sounds like he has a sore throat or something this week. Hope he feels better.
Stan and Kyle :)
jamespuppolo

Postby jamespuppolo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:06 am

The episode was fun but it is kind of predictable and a little boring. I guess the continuation thing is cool but I wanted the kids playing super heroes this season.

So where are the member berries? Is this at all explainable or with Lennart or what? One episode left and too much backstory to fill us in with. Maybe we can see the member berries as a separate plot from the trolling and is its own plot tied in with the Garrison winning president and so we can see both next season!

The intro felt old school South Park with the towns people freaking out over an apocalypse. I didn’t see it that Kyle and Ike would get caught running away and we don’t know how it happened they were caught. Still This all creates some of the real intense and funny scenes. Sheila was at the end of her rope like we have never seen before. Just the way she was speaking was getting me worried. She was real emotional. The end was hilarious with Kyle and Ike tricking Sheila into being locked in the pantry. It was kind of like Hansel and Gretel. There has to be more of Sheila freaking out the way she is.

This season has been really about the Broflovski family. We see Gerald come clean with the whole trolling with Kyle and he still backs himself up with it when not in a corner. I don’t know if Gerald will ever be cured of trolling. But I don’t think he will be killed off. It all can be kept a secret and end James Bond like. Possible the Broflovski family takes a family vacation somewhere nice after all the smoke clears.

Heidi seemed cute in front of the giant equation board with coffee. It was kind of silly that she didn’t even know any of the math but most don’t I would think. But what was silly is the emogi business again. But whatever, it seems she has found to just switch to parts of the equation. I guess the whole Heidi emoji thing is that she is a big social media tween. I think she may have been online this whole time. Why would someone who doesn’t use the internet be obsessed with emoji’s?

Cartman and Butter butting heads seems to have cleared Butters for now but Cartman now is questioning dating Heidi. Heidi is smart and it is funny that she can control the biggest troll of the town of South Park with her vagina. She may end up like Lennart but with everyone laughing at Cartman as she kept him from harassing everyone.

The trolls all naked got me to laugh. So was it electric chairs or a firing squad or what to kill them all? And where the hell was Dildo Shwaggins cock and balls? He sure didn’t live up to his name. With those titties, I almost think he is a chick. And wasn’t there a cigar smoking women with the trolls or is that person now a man. I’m confused and will rewatch.

It was nice to have Mr. Slave back and he starts it up to ply Garrison to get him to do what the towns people want, which Kyle got to do too by cussing and being dirty. Not sure if people like this style of calling Garrison at the White House or Pentagon but this could work in future seasons as long as mixed up I guess as to include Garrison and Trump jokes.

Lastly Lennart really is a bad guy and wants to be the biggest troll on earth. Seeking WWIII is hilarious which today it seems we may see it, HAHAHAHAHA. I think Gerald really does think what Lennart did is the better trolling. So we may see a last exchange of words between these two of Gerald telling how really he had been impressed with the WWIII joke but of course Gerald couldn’t let Lennart be the best troll. But he may promise Lennart he will out troll him with a prank or just leave us with Gerald putting dicks in women’s mouths at home and laughing while Lennart is in jail.
Say's The Naked Knight From "Ghosts 'n Goblins"
Female345

Postby Female345 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:13 am

It was a fair episode.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:07 am

Plot-by-Plot! Because no sh*t is too trivial for me to cover!

The town panicking scenes are my bread and butter. It's so nice to see the town again! This season, especially the last few episodes, has focused a lot on characters in their private lives, but the actual people have barely been background. I noticed Laura sounded a bit more nasal-y and closer to her original voice before "The Magic Bush". Kind of funny to see her called a 'blabbermouth' when she was the privacy advocate in that episode. This is also probably the first time in over a decade we've seen a big Church scene lead by Priest Maxi. He's caught lines in the last decade, but never quite been a focus like he is here.

Kyle and Ike... it's nice to see them around, and doing stuff, but their presence felt like a complete reset of two weeks ago. We left off on a nice cliffhanger - Kyle knows the truth! Where are they going? What will Sheila do? There's no real answers. They're back home, and in trouble, and Kyle knowing his dad's identity barely plays into the plot. He might as well not know. It's nice to see Sheila going nuclear again, and I'm curious if that will lead anywhere, but a part of me wishes M&T had just held that nice ending until now, instead of having to use Kyle and Ike escaping as a cliffhanger for a second episode in a row.

Garrison's use here feels surprisingly natural, and despite playing an analogue to a very real public fugre, he's still clearly Garrison, and that was a pleasure. After a lot of dramatic build-up hasn't paid off this season, it was great to see Mr. Slave back and the reference to his and Garrison's relationship, eleven years in the rear-view mirror but still taxing on him emotionally, clearly. That was a stand-out scene, and I don't want South Park to engage in 'member berries' but I do wish we'd see more continuity brought into the plot the way this scene was. It was a good balance between nostalgia for nostalgia's sake and a serious plot ball in the air. I'm a little bummed that Garrison won't be coming back to the fourth grade classroom but they're doing well with him as president, I'll admit.

Heidi, Cartman and Butters at SpaceX is easily one of the best uses of the show's turn in continuity though. While SpaceX sets up a very sufficient background, the context is of little necessity to the core of the story. Cartman's jealousy towards Butters is sparking back his anger issues, but Butters' reassurance he wants nothing to do with Heidi only in turn sparks doubt in him. You can really see it rising when he tries to get Heidi to be funny and she's finally breaking the Math problem despite earlier implication that she might not be as smart as he thought either. The emotional core of the episode is easily here, and it succeeds. I miss Jimmy, but the decision to use Butters was a really smart one storytelling-wise.

I've felt throughout this season the focus on Denmark has been weighing it down more than anything else, no matter how infectious that ludicrous song they keep using is, and my thoughts haven't changed. I continue to argue that the international and global aspects of the show often do more harm than good by taking away from the familiar characters. But Gerald and the trolls are there, so let's talk about that - the big revelations with Lennart were very awkward. It was unexpected, certainly, and it changes the story, but I can't lie, I liked the moral tension of imagining Lennart as a friend of Freja, genuinely upset, and Gerald, a character mostly liked, having done something I couldn't forgive. Now we have black-and-white heroes and villains.

That about covers active plot development. The Gender War is all gone now, almost a background fixture in light of everything else going on. This is really disappointing, and it almost makes me hope it's not resolved so that we might have another chance of seeing the kids settle the dispute themselves, instead of Garrison and Gerald resolving it for them. I'm also going to remind people Randy wasn't really in this episode (he might've had a line or two, but that doesn't really count imo) or the last -- but I think we're seeing at long last that Randy was a symptom of a large problem, but not the problem itself. No sign of Member Berries, either.

Matt and Trey are starting to show through the characters again, which becomes a blessing more than a curse at this point. This episode is full of meta! Kyle gives a thrashing of the show's new structure ("This isn't South Park") while Gerald insists he's really a satirist to justifty his actions, and Dildo suggests he uses comedy to deal with serious things. These all read like throwaway lines, but when Gerald is contrasted with Lennart, they expose the stark psychological reality of this season...

Gerald is essentially standing in for Matt and Trey, with Lennart, in fact, represents how they percieve the presidential candidate running against political correctness. Gerald has used his politically incorrect sense of humor, which he has percieved as harmless, to deal with serious things, and be satirical, for years on end, but upon meeting Lennart, who mirrors him yet looms larger, by trolling on a much greater scale, Gerald is beginning to realize, by seeing how what Lennart does is not funny and very harmful, that his sense of humor is no justification for his actions - that maybe he does harm, and maybe he isn't funny after all.

I think, in the wake of the election, these are real questions Matt and Trey are themselves confronting - realizing they have been at the forefront of the movement against political correctness, but now that they see it manifesting in a way that's not what they intended, questioning their role. It's a lot like back in "Raising the Bar", when they stood back and thought about how, maybe they were the ones who had played a role in lowering it way back in the first place. They're wondering if their twenty years on television could've helped set the stage for the presidency of Donald Trump, a presidency resting for nostalgia and against political correctness.

I don't think they were planning to go this route. I think they expected a Clinton victory, and planned instead to bring Garrison home, defeat the Member Berries and wind down with the Gender War and Heiman, and now they're trying to rewrite themselves a little to match up to what's going on in the real world. It'd probably still be fifty percent the same, but not on the whole. SP is still produced week-by-week, even if ideas exist in advance. It’ll be hard for them to kill off Member Berries at the end of the season, and blame J. J. Abrams, when reality suggests the Member Berries have won the war as well as the battle.

Now, my personal taste? I'm getting cynical. I’ve given Matt and Trey a lot of free passes other fans haven’t, and they’ve run out. While Heiman has really made the most of the extra time to breathe and feel real, the Broflovski stuff and Denmark both have felt like they have constantly been one step forward, two steps back in terms of plot movement. I'm going to lose myself during the hiatus, but I'm desperate for some sense of resolution again. At the same time, I kind of don't want the plots I'm enjoying to revert - I want Gerald's plot to reach it's logical conclusion, and wouldn't mind Garrison resigning, but I kind of want Heiman and the Gender War to cliffhang so they can get better resolutions.

As a final side note, the episode title is surprisingly apt. The titles this season have usually felt a little irrelevant, but this one was really fitting. Gerald's response, harkening back to "Skank Hunt", is that his actions are so 'not funny' that become funny. That's strike one. When he discovers Lennart Bedrager's trolling plan, his protest is that it is 'not funny'. Strike two. But wait - there's more. When Butters casts doubt on Heidi and Cartman's relationship, a key point is that Heidi only seems funny because Cartman insists she is. She tells no jokes on-screen. When Cartman seeks her reassurance by asking her to tell a joke, nothing comes up... he's realizing she's 'not funny'.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 am

8.1/10
It was great to see Heidi showing off her intelligence again, that's for sure! I'm kind of concerned about Butters telling Cartman what Bill Clinton told him though, my fear is that Trey and Matt are going to go and vilify every female on the show beyond redemption. It was nice to see Kyle and Ike fight back against all of the chaos in town, but I can't stand seeing Sheila reverting to her old self and refusing to listen to Kyle and Ike despite the fact that her husband was actually the one who divided the town. A couple of those meta-references were really cool, it was definitely nice to hear from Mr. Slave again and I love how the town tried to unify again to stop TrollTrace. I also got a kick out of all the insults that the townspeople hurled at President Garrison and I think Ike came up with the most brutal insults. I guess it was inevitable that Lennart Bedrager lived up to his last name, huh? Pretty crazy to see the "Troll Hunter" actually turn out to be the world's biggest troll. One thing I'm very disappointed by though is the severe underutilization of the fourth graders on the show aside from Kyle, Cartman, Butters and to a lesser extent, Heidi, the second half of this season. Even Heidi's lines have been pretty thin in the past few episodes, so I'm hoping she gets to speak more often in next week's season finale. It was kind of a bummer not seeing the member berries either, but I'm more upset about the fourth graders being non-entities outside of the four kids I mentioned earlier. It sucks seeing Stan on the sidelines all of the time and worse yet, not even being present. Something else really bugging me is that Kenny, one of the show's original four main characters, hasn't uttered a single word all season and is very much in danger of not having any lines in an entire season of the show in the show's history. Me and a lot of other people want to hear from Tweek as well, so hopefully Trey and Matt pull a miracle and let them at least say one word in the season finale. Going back to the season finale, I'm afraid that Trey and Matt aren't going to be able to close out the season properly or worse yet, drag this same storyline that's almost out of gas into next season and make the show's fans suffer for nine whole months to just watch the same jokes drone on over and over again. I really hope they can put together a near perfect show next week, because anything less won't do this season any justice and perhaps even torture fans by making them wait three quarters of a year for any sort of closure to come through or worse yet, just more of the same. This whole dilemma is why I think Trey and Matt should go back to mostly stand-alone episodes, that and stand-alone episodes give far more opportunities for different characters to get a chance to be the center of attention within the course of a single season.

Fun fact: Heidi has had 103 lines of dialogue so far this season, by far a personal record for her, so she is definitely having a breakout season! Her previous personal best? Just 22 lines combined from a pair of episodes in Season 9 (Marjorine [20 lines] and Follow That Egg! [2 lines]). This season, she has had a line every episode except for Skank Hunt, but she was still a huge part of that episode even though she didn't say anything because her Twitter suicide set many of that episode's key events into motion.
Last edited by nwt000 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:27 am

nall wrote:This episode is "Not Funny."
Whether it's funny or not (pun intended), I hope it will be up on the episode player soon so I can see it. I have to be at work early tomorrow, so I may have to watch it after work. I hope it's a funny episode. I'll let you know after I see it.ImageImageImageImage

[thanks to Big-Will for creating/hosting these Member Berries :D ]
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:45 am

Not funny, huh? And why is that, I wonder? That's right, Kyle, because it's not the South Park we used to know. Maybe it's time to clean up all this neverending serialized mess and move on to something more traditional, like... playing superheroes. Enough of the trolling already. You have made your point, guys. The world is going crazier by the hour. Everyone is a complete nutjob acting out of character. So, what else is new?

You might say I'm addicted to member berries, but I think this soap opera bullcrap experiment should come to an end next week. No need to tie up loose ends, just get it over with. There has to be a simple way out of it. What if it's all just a bad dream? Cartman's hallucination, perhaps? He got beat up pretty badly at the beginning of Season 19. A severe head injury could very well be causing these convoluted serialized hallucinations. Wakey wakey, big lazy bones! Time to remove the fucking face-warmer. Time to make South Park funny again. I'm seriously, you guys.
Last edited by VACOOLA on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 am

I kind of like the serialized format that Matt & Trey are experimenting with, I just wished these stories were more polished.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Got quite a few things to sort out in episode 10 this episode was ok I liked the stuff with Ike Kyle & Shelia.
The only way I can see this being sorted out quickly is if this entire season was a dream just like season 9 of Dallas, I could just see Kenny waking up and saying "what the f*ck was that dream about".
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
joshferrell

Postby joshferrell » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:33 pm

I agree with the posters above that say that Kyle seems to be not liking this new format by saying this is not South Park etc, I have a feeling Matt and Trey are tired of the serialized episodes at least that's what I picked up from this episode, maybe it was harder to do then they thought..This episode had a lo of frustration in it, Kyle was frustrated, Cartman was Frustrated, Mr Garrison was frustrated and Sheila was VERY frustrated lol.in fact it seems like one of the most frustrated episodes in the series as far as characters getting frustrated and angry.I may be looking too much into it but it may be that Matt and Trey are frustrated and placing it in the cartoons.....lol
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:48 pm

kfgg wrote: Matt sounds like he has a sore throat or something this week. Hope he feels better.
I noticed as well; Kyle sounded a bit gruff, especially in the scene at the church.

Trolltrace being an elaborate troll of the entire world is not something I saw coming. Now when I look at the head Danish guy, I'm starting to see a caricature of Trey Parker. Might have something to do with the voice he used; a very lightly accented version of his natural speaking voice.

I am amused that Heidi actually is super smart and it's not just Fatass trying to score points with his gf. I was right he's torpedoing his own relationship, but for a different reason.

I'm left wondering who will take the fall in the Brovfloski house in order to patch everything up. If Sheila discovers the troll is really Gerald and he tried to pin it on Ike, that marriage should be over. Kyle knows too much and the boys should not have to suffer for Gerald's crimes. So where does that leave them?
Sheila has been going so ballistic it has me worried for her health. A big woman like that is gonna give herself a heart attack if she keeps flipping out like that.

You read it! You can't unread it!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:44 am

Random but related; I find it difficult to take the scenes in Denmark seriously (well, as seriously as you can with it being South Park & all) without thinking that someone's been watching a lot of Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett Show lately. :lol:
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:27 pm

BRMBug wrote:Random but related; I find it difficult to take the scenes in Denmark seriously (well, as seriously as you can with it being South Park & all) without thinking that someone's been watching a lot of Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett Show lately. :lol:
Mr Tudball

It was funny when three people were on the phone for the president, the first two world leaders/politicians and the third Mr. Slave. Mr. Slave's call was taken :mrgreen:

Then later, two leaders/politicians, and line 3 was Kyle. Kyle's call was taken :)

'Member when the poster in Kyle's room shows McDreidal? I like the authenticity of the hebrew letters on the dreidel: The same letters that are on EVERY dreidel outside of Israel: the letters Nun, Gimmel, Hay, and Shin, reading the poster in Kyle's room from right to left. That's an acronym for: Neys Gadol Haya Shaw, which means: "the great miracle that happened there." "There" is Israel, and the great miracle was that the Maccabees only had enough clean oil when they regained the temple to burn for one day, but it lasted for eight days, hence Chanukah is an 8 day holiday. I'm glad M&T put the correct letters on the dreidel poster.

Inside Israel, however, the Shin is replaced with a Pey for the acronym Neys Gadol Haya Po, that is, "the great miracle that happened here" (in Israel).

'member when Heidi's emoji analysis indicated that the troll was an adult? That emoji analysis sure is versatile as she also used it to solve the equation for a spaceship to Mars 8)

Maybe I'll try a little emoji analysis myself at work today :P
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:24 am

zzyzx 2 wrote:
BRMBug wrote: 'Member when the poster in Kyle's room shows McDreidal? I like the authenticity of the hebrew letters on the dreidel: The same letters that are on EVERY dreidel outside of Israel: the letters Nun, Gimmel, Hay, and Shin, reading the poster in Kyle's room from right to left. That's an acronym for: Neys Gadol Haya Shaw, which means: "the great miracle that happened there." "There" is Israel, and the great miracle was that the Maccabees only had enough clean oil when they regained the temple to burn for one day, but it lasted for eight days, hence Chanukah is an 8 day holiday. I'm glad M&T put the correct letters on the dreidel poster.
That is a nice detail I did not know about. That poster has been in Kyle's bedroom since the beginning.
But I must point out that it's "MC Dreidel" not "McDreidel". As in the name of a fictional musician; either a rapper or a DJ based on the "MC" moniker.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”