Ideas for the kid's nationalities

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Hannafechik98

Ideas for the kid's nationalities

Postby Hannafechik98 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:03 pm

This is something I have been wondering about and wanted to put into question

Stan- Along with Craig, I can't actually place. Both of them have black hair.

Kyle- Likely has Irish or Scottish heritage hence his red hair. Also, his last name is Slovak.

Cartman-Very likely he's part German as he can speak it fluently.

Kenny- I can't place the nationality either.

Wendy- Her last name sounds German. It seems right.

Butters- Based on his accent, he is likely from southern descent.

It is stated Clyde has Dutch heritage from his mother's side.

What do you guys think?
JamesPolo

Re: Ideas for the kid's nationalities

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 pm

The Marsh last name is English.

McCormick is Irish and Scottish. Also there is a city named Kilkenny in Ireland.

Leopold is German and or Western European but Stotch is Northern American and or Eastern European.

Donovan is an Irish name.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:39 pm

When I think of Stan’s hair I think of him having Iberian decent. Also think of German Dark Chocolate for what his hair represents for some reason. Craig may be the same. I don’t really know of all the knowledge of hair color and ancestor in Europe. Still a person could have like 100% German blood and not be blonde but have black hair. Still I think that the creators would have the characters ancestries be representative of their outwardly appearance.

Kyle has red hair so yes, he must have Irish and Scottish blood.

Cartman has brown hair but so did Hitler. Though Cartman’s German is just gibberish usually and most German spoken on the show is gibberish.

Kenny is probably Western European as I think he has blonde hair by appearance.

Wendy has black hair and so I think she would have Mediterranean roots like Iberian. Wendy gives me a running of the bulls feel all the way! Sounds like a cool episode.

I’d really like a character to have an episode where they express their Italian ancestry!

Butters looks Western European but also many Eastern Europeans have blonde hair.

Clyde’s brown hair is probably Western European.

I know there is Scandinavian too but I never really think of that. Scandinavian hair I think is brown and blonde mainly but I could be wrong. Also Russian is possible but that can just be the same as Eastern European.

There are people that chat here who live in Europe and so they would know things better.
FilipoSooa

Postby FilipoSooa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:03 pm
This is something I have been wondering about and wanted to put into question

Stan- Along with Craig, I can't actually place. Both of them have black hair.

Kyle- Likely has Irish or Scottish heritage hence his red hair. Also, his last name is Slovak.

Cartman-Very likely he's part German as he can speak it fluently.

Kenny- I can't place the nationality either.

Wendy- Her last name sounds German. It seems right.

Butters- Based on his accent, he is likely from southern descent.

It is stated Clyde has Dutch heritage from his mother's side.

What do you guys think?
You forgot to add Bebe to your list since you had Stan, Kyle, Cartman, Kenny, Wendy, Butters and Clyde as template ideas for the kid's nationalities.
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 am

Kenny's whole family seems pretty Irish to me, and it fits with Kilkenny and all.

I always figured Kyle was intended as Polish? Poland once had a strong Jewish population, and they are sometimes associated with -ski last names? Those names are common in other parts of eastern Europe, obviously, but going more off intention and pop culture than literal right now.

I believe I was told Marsh is specifically Welsh, but it might be from the Netherlands. Something in the UK.

Butters is native Hawaiian ;) It's hard to say what state his family might be from, given neither of his parents speak with an accent.

Garrison's mother is from Alabama, and he grew up in Arkansas.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 am

The idea that Butters is a native Hawaiian doesn't seem very true though. Real native Hawaiians have a browner skin tone, as well as usually having dark hair. Butters would also have a very different sounding accent. What do you think?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:49 am

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 am
The idea that Butters is a native Hawaiian doesn't seem very true though. Real native Hawaiians have a browner skin tone, as well as usually having dark hair. Butters would also have a very different sounding accent. What do you think?
We know he's not from Hawaii. He's from the South, The point of "Going Native" is that his family has a time-share property in Hawaii (Trey has a home there), and it uses the property often enough to consider itself honorary Hawaiians, if not natives. Now, his parents could have come from the South and lived in Hawaii for a time, and during that time Butters was born there, and then they all moved to South Park before Butters started school.

The crew member Butters is named after is Eric Stough, who hails from Mayberry, North Carolina, a Southern state.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Alex Shir

Postby Alex Shir » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Kyle's ancestor was Belarus' jew (BALARUS, hah) really, not polish :lol:
His real name Braslawsky, not "Broflowsky" (this name has not any sense) - in slavic "from Braslaw" , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braslaw
There are a lot of famous people had rose at that land.
Btw, I don't remember any plots with Kyle's family's mysterious East-European roots. Golem (Prague's jews mystery), Kabbala (Carpathean jews history) or Wseslaw the Witcher, legendary ruler of Polotzk's principality, there was situated Braslaw )))
Sorry for my bad English, guys. It's not my native language.
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm

By the way, is McCormick Irish or Scottish?
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

As far as I know Mc is Irish and Mac is Scottish.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:05 am

Big-Will wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:49 am
The crew member Butters is named after is Eric Stough, who hails from Mayberry, North Carolina, a Southern state.
So what you're telling me is Butters is straight outta the The Andy Griffith Show? That's wild.

I stand genuinely corrected on Kyle, but I was only joking about Butters.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:43 am

I'm sure Broflovski is a made-up name, since they spelled it several ways before SP:BLU finally fixed it at Broflovski. Even in later episodes, when they still played with the last name, Broflovski prevailed. But going by -ski, I'd say Polish, and Poland is one of the Slavic countries.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 am

Heidi is Irish according to Doubling Down.
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.

Return to “Character Discussion”