*2102: Put It Down* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

kfgg

Re: *2102: Put It Down* Post-Air Discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Det. Sandy Vagina wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:33 pm
Butters sounded really weird. As if Matt had a sore throat.
He also voices Tweek, who screamed in this episode. A lot. I wonder if they saved recording that scene at the beginning for the end or not. I'd probably have vocal issues if I screamed that much too.
Alex Shir

Postby Alex Shir » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Wow! I've noticed: President killed Kenny! Bastard... )))
00:21:47 - Endless fatalities - One solution.
Sorry for my bad English, guys. It's not my native language.
joshferrell

Postby joshferrell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Det. Sandy Vagina wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:41 pm
Oh and uh what was the deal with that woman showing the song in sign language at the end?
They were making fun of the Florida incedent where they government hired someone during the hurricane to sign language for deaf people and he didn't know what he was doing...lol... I wonder what the deaf lady is saying in this episode?
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Mr. Garrison can not longer be president because he is NOT Donald Trump so now he must quit being president and just get the real Trump to take his place because he already exists in South Park way before the Canadian president! We want Mr. Garrison back and he must stop being treated like Donald Trump because he's VERY different from him!
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:02 am

Vintage Tweek! This episode wouldn't have been far out of place in season 6. Each Garrison tweet was better than the last.
But it's also modern Cartman. Which means his selfishness has that more determined tone than the naive one I enjoyed many seasons ago.

I loved the scene with all the boys laughing at Fatass' voicemail. BigWill hit on the same thing I did; it's just like when he was trying to puss out on his fight with Wendy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Heidi is way too good for Lardo. She's going to become one of those sad, co-dependent people in an awful relationship if she doesn't wake up and smell the ego.

Fatass used to be ignorant of his own selfishness in a way that was still sympathetic. But for a long time now, he's been purposefully selfish and to my eyes, only feigning ignorance if at all. Whereas season 20 kind of departed from this, so far season 21 has been its epitome.
SouthAl93 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 pm
Mr. Garrison can not longer be president because he is NOT Donald Trump so now he must quit being president and just get the real Trump to take his place because he already exists in South Park way before the Canadian president! We want Mr. Garrison back and he must stop being treated like Donald Trump because he's VERY different from him!
Disagree. It's way funnier with Garrison.
And being a background image in one episode 15 years ago doesn't count as "existing" in this crazy cartoon universe.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Shane McCormick

Postby Shane McCormick » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:08 am

This episode had a lot more laughs than any episode since "Where my Country Gone" and is definitely better than the last episode and all of season 20. Tweek was really funny, the moment with the boys laughing at Cartman was great, and it had a good ending. Though this episode was good, it is not flawless.

While this episode is way better than "Tweek X Craig" (that episode was sh*t imo) there are still moments where it really feels like it is pandering too hard towards the Creek shippers. I'm sorry but Craig using terms like "babe" and "honey" feels really out of character and I just prefer to see the two have more of a platonic relationship rather than a romantic one. Some of the moments with Tweek and Craig are good, but I really hope they don't shove Creek down our throats for the rest of the season.

The other moment that got to me was Cartman and Heidi being back together immediately. If they were going to get back together this fast, then the break up from the last episode was completely pointless and makes the last episode even weaker than it already was.

Overall, I'd give this episode a 7.5 out of 10. On it's own, the episode is good, but I don't want to see season 21 become shipping the season.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:39 am

joshferrell wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm
I wonder what the deaf lady is saying in this episode?
Several users on Reddit have said the sign language was accurate - it matched the words being sung.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 am

Cartman rapping was a parody, just found out: http://www.nme.com/news/tv/watch-cartma ... 55-2143497
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:56 am

nall wrote:Only Craig uses this language. And he's uncharacteristically sweet around Tweek in private. Seems like he has developed genuine feelings for Tweek - although it seems ambiguous to me as to whether Tweek feels the same way. (Which is humorously sort of opposite of the common "fannon" viewpoint.). I'll opt not to discuss anything from FBW since it's not out yet and certain things were not supposed to be revealed yet.
Yeah, this is exactly why I've come to love canon Creek despite being ambivalent about it in fanon circles. Even really effective fanon writers have a tendency to portray Tweek as the one wrapped around Craig's finger, and often the more obviously homosexual of the two. I've always shied away because I'm much more an advocate for seeing Tweek develop as an independent character... which is fun to see happening for real. :)
SouthAl93 wrote:But what if they already got back together off-screen?
No clue. I mean, I'm very passionate about those two characters, but I recognize Matt and Trey don't seem terribly interested in them. I'm sure if Trey decided next week he needed one of them for a story, he wouldn't think twice about saying Red's been dating Clyde or something.... but you know how much I'd die to see those two together again, even in the background.

It sounds crazy, but hey, it was crazier before "Skank Hunt" :)
kfgg wrote:The thing about this one is that it was well written. It didn’t seem rushed. It was full of parody, but not to the point of making that take away from what was going on.

They really should be proud of this one.
The thing I noticed is "Put it Down" is the title and that title drop doesn't come until the last minute of the episode - which suggests that Matt and Trey had the ending already planned by Monday night, which therefore suggests they mapped out this episode early on. A lot of episodes, even good ones, suffer from Matt and Trey not being able to stick the landing at the end of an episode, so having an ending in mind is really key, and I think that's what allowed them to write the episode so effectively.

See you guys next week?
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 am

I don't like it, and I don't hate it. That's as good as it's going to get. Last season was such a clusterfuck of nonsense that I vowed to not watch the show anymore at all. Of course, keeping such a promise to yourself for a year is difficult when you haven't had the chance to demonstrate your intentions for the entire duration.

This show at its best would tug at your heartstrings (513), make you giggle at its random silliness (310), or push the limit to what you can expect a TV show will be permitted to do, or will just...do (1801-1810). The latter is why this show even took off in the first place, but it's never why I liked it. It makes it interesting, but they can only do it for so long or go so far before it gets stale. How much more graphic and vile (and frankly, real) can you get once you've reached the point where you nonchalantly depict a 9-year-old get brutally broadsided by a car in an overly bloody and exaggerated but somehow seemingly fathomable manner? Even Grand Theft Auto games omit children. That appeal of the show is gone, at least for me. The most it will do is make you feel sympathy or empathy for fictional characters. But that's also a million times better than sitting through an entire episode while feeling nothing but confusion over what's happening, and disgust over the fact that the show's writers get paid exponentially more money than they ought to be compensated.

I watched this show from the start because I like the characters. That's really why almost anyone would like a TV show. They're a diverse bunch, but there's been an ever-increasing focus on just Cartman, Butters, and Randy - the three characters I never could stand in their current form. Maybe I'm boring. Kenny was funny when he was perverted. Kyle and Stan were funny when they were oblivious as kids that age should be. Cartman is hardly funny at all because he's meant to be the antithesis of reason and virtue. I'd find this humorous if people like him weren't so widespread in society (especially at the RNC). It robs the show of its long-departed innocent humor, which even from the start was subservient to the outlandish humor it was more known for. The only good thing about Cartman is that his character is the only one of all the main characters who has been consistent this entire time. Everyone else changed too much and ended up taking a back seat to his self-righteous behavior. It's probably meant to make him look bad, but it seems more like it glorifies it because you can't escape it.

Tweek and Craig is only a thing because fangirls wet themselves over an episode from the 20th century and tried to connect dots that weren't there. As cute as their dialogues can be, for a lack of better words, their relationship is fake, even when it seems real. And I can't watch it without this running through my mind. They were never meant to be gay, and being gay is not a decision. They were forced into it by their very peculiar society. It's like an arranged marriage.
Alex Shir

Postby Alex Shir » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 am

Niels0827 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 am
Tweek and Craig is only a thing because fangirls wet themselves over an episode from the 20th century and tried to connect dots that weren't there. As cute as their dialogues can be, for a lack of better words, their relationship is fake, even when it seems real. And I can't watch it without this running through my mind. They were never meant to be gay, and being gay is not a decision. They were forced into it by their very peculiar society. It's like an arranged marriage.
Imho, Craig is not gay, but he opens as very good guy and real sbf for Tweek. He sincere cares about Tweek and doing right things, as very mature person. Is it makes him gay? He is kid, sexuality, if it's not predicted by genetics, will be an object of his choise at 12-16 years old. Tweek lookes as personage from Salinger - little intellectual in rural society with mad parents. Who says that his stress has no reasons? ))) especially about mr Presidemt and NK-nuclear danger. Startng scene with piano and Tweek pathetical speach was ingenious - it was scream of collective common sense of society to political establishment.
Sorry for my bad English, guys. It's not my native language.
Garrison4Prez!!!

Postby Garrison4Prez!!! » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am

Great episode!! 9/10 They write such silly yet catchy songs that I love!! Cartman's rap was funny and "Put it Down" is now one of my favorite songs from any SP episode (Make Bullying Kill Itself being my favorite song and video).
How do you think Trey and Matt will bring Mr. Garrison back to South Park?? Or if they do at all?
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:39 am
Several users on Reddit have said the sign language was accurate - it matched the words being sung.
Thanks! I was trying to figure this out.
Niels0827 wrote:
As cute as their dialogues can be, for a lack of better words, their relationship is fake, even when it seems real.
Maybe, maybe not.
Niels0827 wrote:
They were never meant to be gay, and being gay is not a decision.
The original episode was ambiguous as to whether they were gay or not. For some people who are, others figure it out before you, and being confronted or even just realizing it can be a traumatic experience, especially if you lack the support network or people close to you are homophobic.
Niels0827 wrote:
They were forced into it by their very peculiar society. It's like an arranged marriage.
A lot of the relationships in South Park exist because two people were forced together. Like Token and Nichole, or to a lesser degree, Butters and Charlotte, and those relationships thrived and blossomed, at least until the Gender Wars last season.
Niels0827 wrote:
Tweek and Craig is only a thing because fangirls wet themselves over an episode from the 20th century and tried to connect dots that weren't there.
Well, going through the back catalogue of episodes, certain characters have a tendency to appear close together a lot (Tweek and Craig being one of them). Why this particular ship became so popular, I don't know, but it happens with other characters that appear together sometimes too - like Kevin and Red, who were actually shown to be a couple last season.

...But honestly, some of the relationships in the show seem far-fetched before they happen. If a couple years ago, some fans were all into Cartman and Heidi, others would have been all "Nah, that'll NEVER happen."
Niels0827 wrote:
I don't like it, and I don't hate it.
Sorry. Maybe some of the other episodes will suit you better.
Alex Shir wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 am
Imho, Craig is not gay, but he opens as very good guy and real sbf for Tweek. He sincere cares about Tweek and doing right things, as very mature person. Is it makes him gay? He is kid, sexuality, if it's not predicted by genetics, will be an object of his choise at 12-16 years old.
In some cases, it's believed to be environmental; but it's not a choice. Anyway if he's just a SBF, using terms like "Honey" and "Babe" in private is probably taking this too far.
Garrison4Prez!!! wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am
They write such silly yet catchy songs that I love!! Cartman's rap was funny and "Put it Down" is now one of my favorite songs from any SP episode (Make Bullying Kill Itself being my favorite song and video).
YES! Those songs are fantastic. I have "Put It Down" stuck in my head.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:10 pm

nall wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm
Did they bring in a group of people, like a Book Of Mormon cast or something for that? I've been playing it and wondering.
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:51 pm

kfgg wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:10 pm
nall wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm
Did they bring in a group of people, like a Book Of Mormon cast or something for that? I've been playing it and wondering.
Yes, there was a group of kids, actually.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”