S22E02: "A Boy And A Priest" preshow discussion.

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S22E02: "A Boy And A Priest" preshow discussion.

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am

SOUTH PARK
TITLE: "A Boy And A Priest"

Sunday mass brings the community together. Fr. Maxi is filling the pews each week. A very special relationship has developed between Butters and Fr. Maxi. When the town finds the church doors locked and no sign of the pair, they call in the Catholic Church.

Press Release

Boy, looks like Matt and Trey were serious about focusing on the kids this season. I wasn't expecting the pedophile priest scandal to make another appearance on the show, but here we are 16 years later. Sometimes we need a reminder of what's still wrong in the world.

(We know who the parish priest is, so I edited the synopsis to reflect that)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
zzyzx 2

Re: S22E02: "A Boy And A Priest" preshow discussion.

Postby zzyzx 2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:52 am

Big-Will wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am
. . . . .but here we are 16 years later. Sometimes we need a reminder of what's still wrong in the world.
Some things never change. My parents like to watch Johnny Carson reruns on Antenna TV. The monologues dealing with the current events of 30 years ago are as current today as if the monologue was being written today. Just change the names from 30 years ago to current names and it's spot on. Here's to a great Season 22.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am

The banner is using the "A Boy and His Priest" title, so we'll see where the coin lands on that one. Two weeks in a row they've offered two titles.

--

So, my speculation -- I'm expecting that Priest Maxi and Butters develop either a genuine friendship, or work together on a project, and that the parents are overreacting somehow assuming it to be something worse. I'm not sure what to expect from the alternate title (which may not be relevant?) or the reference to the Catholic Church -- the show's consistently depicted them negatively, but to wildly different degrees. Perhaps they invite the Church out of concern for Butters, and they go after the other kids? That sounds too creepy and too easy to be funny.

Still, I'm hopeful for one thing - Priest Maxi has hardly been a big part of the show in ten years (a couple of lines but only one serious speaking role) so hopefully he gets something interesting or useful to do... and isn't a pedophile, as some are assuming from the press release. Butters interacting with a new character has a lot of potential as well as he's so often being used against Cartman or his father. I love when the show explores new character dynamics.

The press also suggests a busy and full church, "the town", and I wonder if this might indicate something a little more than the image's suggested appearance of the boys' parents. It'd be nice to see some of the other adults factor into this - even if it's just Mr. Mackey or Det. Yates or something, seeing these other characters adds a touch of variety and it's always nicer to see the whole town working together. There's also the question of whether the kids will be included or concerned, or be off doing their own thing. I'd love if they took this as an excuse to throw in some cameos but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully the well-beloved Randy only fulfills an appropriate role.

I'll wait on our preview clip, but it'd sure be nice if we could get the full press images again...
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 am

True, it might not be Fr. Maxi, but either a visiting priest, or a new priest.

JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:16 am

So now, we have a press release with two titles, a banner that says "A Boy and a Priest"... which links to a preview clip titled "The Boys Are Missing". I suspect that's how the titles will land but we'll see.

The preview clip has a link online, with the banner, but it refuses to play for me and it's not on YouTube yet. The description tells us "Randy calls Stephen in a panic when he learns that the boys went camping with a Priest".

I set up the wiki page tonight, btw :)
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Sounds like the episode will be fun. Priests are gross if they spend time with kids. I wonder why Butters or the other kids would want to hang out with a priest? He better have lots of money to spend and free candy.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:27 pm

On a side note, the film The Nun is doing well in theaters. Will it be to see something like that, that can make this a Halloween episode? Well Butters likes to play pretend so I think that is his motive, like he wants to be a Priest when he grows up. It seems like the whole episode will be gay priest jokes of Maxi and Butters. I don't think that either will be gay though. I guess Butters near the middle of the episode confides in Maxi about a problem and so Maxi decides to take the day off to help Butters with his problem. This leads to the towns people thinking that Maxi kidnapped Butters and is raping him. Looks like it will be just an okay episode. I don't think reviews for this one will be much better than the opener. I think of fishing for some reason, so maybe Maxi is taking Butters fishing?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Now we just need PR images.

Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Hmm, this will be a curious subject to tackle. I wonder what they will do with it that hadn't already been said and done in the show already. We know, priests are known to be pedophiles. What else is there to say? Will they be following a linear storyline or not? PC Principal is still there and Mr. Garrison is still 'missing'. I just need to know what happened to Stan from last week!
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 pm

So Priest Maxi took the boys camping? That is just what kidnappers do like the guy who took Hannah Anderson. Maybe the Priest really is sexually attracted to boys and takes them on a camping trip to kidnap them and run away and get some last minutes with the boy he loves. Sounds like its much more of a funny plot for Maxi to really have a crush on Butters.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:57 am

It would be going against canon to have Father Maxi actually up to something untoward with one of the boys. After all, he confronted the Queen Spider to address this very issue.

I'm hoping the guys will be able to have a new funny angle on the Church sex scandal. The bar was set pretty high by Red Hot Catholic Love. If they lean too hard on the one-liners, that could prove unsatisfying. But at the same time, I kind of want some references to that classic episode. It might be cheap nostalgia, but there was a lot there to jump off from. At the very least, I'd enjoy a cameo by the Gelgameks. :lol:

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:46 am

Might be like last week's ep, but instead of Randy getting the wrong idea about and overreacting to Sharon's concern over school shootings, the town gets the wrong idea about and overreacts to Fr. Maxi taking the boys out camping.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”