S22E08: "Buddha Box" postshow discussion.

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S22E08: "Buddha Box" postshow discussion.

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 am

What'chall think?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Re: S22E08: "Buddha Box" postshow discussion.

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:40 am

I noticed a lot of little things in this episode, but I'll save it for the wiki. The responses I've seen so far in my corner of whatever seem a little chilly.

EDIT: I added my trivia to the wiki page last night.
Last edited by JVM on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:03 am

Not a fan of the repetitive things (We already had one with constant use of crying babies and it’s as annoying to listen to as the people it is a satire of) but the episode overall was fine.
JOSHSKORN

Postby JOSHSKORN » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:18 am

Now I'm a little upset that there was already an episode on Ritalin because this easily could've been a two-part episode.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:52 am

Fatass wasn't quite as annoying as I was worried he would be this week. Instead, his selfishness was indistinguishable from everyone else in town with their 'Buddha Box'. Which tells me the message of this episode is that your goddamn phones are turning all y'all into a bunch of goddamn Cartmans.
It makes sense to me since the American landscape is overpopulated with Eric Cartmans these days. At least a quarter (if I may reference a particular episode from not so long ago.)

I find it interesting how they are slowly forcing PC Principle and Strong Woman into a "normal" relationship. Not through any overt judgement, but merely by revealing that to be the easiest path forward for their nascent family. It feels like an observation of both Matt & Trey's individual decents into parenthood. One can try to forge their own path raising children, but the easier, more traditional routes tend to be too seductive to resist.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:41 pm

I saw the episode, it was funny, good job!
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:22 pm

*In the Budda Box* :lol:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Okay...On a more serious note. We absolutely have an obcession with our phones. It's a major problem. But it wasn't just our phones...we've had problems for years. It started with Television....then we pounced on the internet....started to use headphones when they introduced MP3 and later Ipods. Now it's our phones. We have been obcessed with our media surroundings and it is taken away our quality of life. I mean...part of it is good being in more connection with our friends online, being more knowing with the news around us and learning about things and places to go that we haven't been before...but we've also lost that special thing of being there when important milestones happen or knowing more about our family. There are fewer "Sunday Dinners" happening and less excitement over our kids games and piano lessons because we are obcessed with our own problems online. This was an extremely powerful episode and I applaud them. Because it really is a problem that must be addressed for our future is how much time one spends with media attachments. I spend too much time online...and yes, I have manic anxiety. (it's an actual disorder people....look it up *General Anxiety Disorder*). Yeah it can be an excuse but it's also a pain because I do miss a lot of the things around me at times. It also begs the question of who's paying attention to us anymore...or who cares?? We are so obcessed with what others are doing but yet that aren't as willing to letting us in and sharing what is going on in their lives as people have been in the past. I mean yeah we still DO care about things but many things today are turned with a blind eye. The entire season involving shootings....racial/PC tensions....our President (WHERE IS G-TRUMP BTW?!?)...Sexual Misconduct...we see it but we aren't acting anymore. We just tend to go "Meh"....and move on with whatever cute cat video we are seeing on YouTube. :/

I do wonder if someone will catch PC/Strong woman in the act....or if anyone cares due to their iphone obcessions. As for me, I'm not in a relationship right now. And having to deal with kids lately has me wondering how well I would actually be with kids. I'm obviously not ready. So for right now NAMASTAE!! *Gets back into budda box*
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes, ever since the first headphones came out we've had these problems - obsessing over the quality of our audio and shutting out everyone else. It's gone from headphones to VR. I don't know that you actually wear a cardboard box over your head though. The episode reminded me of "Grounded Vindaloop" as well as our headphones and earbuds.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
mario88

Postby mario88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 am

i wish there were another way to define this episode other than "lame". yeah, i get it, people's faces are stuck to their phones, so you made an episode which is an almost 20-minute long and not funny joke about it.

and again, you use cartman's abusive ways to get your point across.

i only really enjoyed the last minute and a half, when p.c. principal and strong woman finally start acting like human beings. i wonder what direction it will take, if any.
He is the record!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”