S23E04: "Let Them Eat Goo" postshow discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

michaeloptv2

Re: S23E04: "Let Them Eat Goo" preshow discussion

Postby michaeloptv2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 am

Have to rewatch because I missed most of last 3-4 mins.

Mixed Episode. Didn't care for the Cartman Heart Attack Jokes. Noisy Taco's....yeah.
But I LOVED the ripping on plant food and sh*t. Especially Burger King. Those guys suck!
Also I'm sorry but I would DIE being a Vegan. Not trying to be more like Cartman but this dude needs his meat!
Also cool to see sh*tty Wok mention.
Didn't really get the whole "Goo" thing. I mean Vegan Burgers taste like sh*t so if it has cum in it as well it wouldn't shock me lol.

As I said...I'll have to eventually rewatch. Wasn't a fav but not their worst work of season either.
Kinda like last week. Kinda meh. So far the China 2nd episode has been FAR the best up to date.
JamesPolo

Re: S23E04: "Let Them Eat Goo" preshow discussion

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:50 am

So, I didn’t think of how there is the seeds and stems that no one wants to smoke and that you could use that for plant bases meats, that was genius. Leave it up to Toweli to be the smart one.

I would agree but would never try one of those plant-based burgers, but I bet the do taste like sh*t. I think I had one once and it was okay, but I forget.

It was kind of scary seeing Cartman suffer two heart attacks like that. I know I will not be emulating his behavior, or it would cause me to have a heart attack. It was funny to see Cartman walking around in a hospital gown showing off his butt. He is now always naked in front of all the other kids and everything.

The goo man was interesting. He seems like a fun character. I’m not sure how this episode ended. Feels like there may be a continuation of this plant-based meat and the goo man next episode. Not sure there really is much left to it. Only thing that was weird is the goo man was not kicked out of town and the goo is still in all the lunches. So, I see room for a plots to carry over to next week, but I don’t think that they will be that funny. I think they can just leave it.

Now the Tegrity Burgers getting everyone high was funny and a good idea. It would have been weird if kids were eating them because of the drugs. That kind of is probably why the goo man was introduced.

Cartman not noticing that the meat is now incredible meat was funny but then at the end he states that before the food was bad and that is what he loves, seemed like a fun end to put those health nuts in their place. There could have been a little more to show that plant based alternative foods are not that healthy either but whatever.

The teacher high eating the burger was good as that Asian lady is always so on.

Randy and Toweli getting high and then killing all the cows were probably the best scene. It was stupid for the rancher to just leave them there but lots of people would just kill them also.

The episode was nice. I found myself interested in seeing what would happen next a lot this episode. It was definitely a substance abuse episode, so I can understand that if you don’t like drugs or alcohol that the episode would just suck. Still I enjoyed it and so I’ll give her an 8/10
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Big-Will
Board Moderator

S23E04: "Let Them Eat Goo" postshow discussion

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:54 am

First break next week. How was tonight's episode?

Cartman came to the same conclusion I did: processed food, whether it's meat-based or plant-based, is... crap. sh*t. And so, goo is the plant-based equivalent of pink slime.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Mafmaf

Re: S23E04: "Let Them Eat Goo" postshow discussion

Postby Mafmaf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 am

Wonder how I feel about this episode after fifth, tenth rewatch but I give it like 8.5/10. Maybe even 9.

I just finished watching so I might being little overexcited but the first impresion is I haven't had such a good laugh watching SP since like... Cock magic?
NGC6144

Postby NGC6144 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 am

Randy and Towlie illustrate nicely what would happen if vegans got their way. It's only been relatively recently that I have seen where vegans are finally contemplating the logical outcome of their goal in trying to save farm production animals; They would become near extinct. Liberated cows would be too expensive to feed and maintain. Too bad South Park didn't parody that video on Youtube where dozens to hundreds of pigs (In east Asia I think), were disposed of by being buried alive in a mass grave due to swine flu epidemic.
BringBackChef

Postby BringBackChef » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

My favorite episode of the season. 9/10 'Tastes like sh*t. You don't care" I have yet to eat an Impossible burger. Now I must try it!!
mario88

Postby mario88 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:04 pm

The subplot of cartman complaining about the cafeteria food kind of confused me: is this how it works in American schools? Only one kind of meal, no alternatives? Because that's the only way the episode makes sense, with 2 or 3 choices everyone would be happy.

That said, cartman made a good point: quite often, the "healthy" option is as unhealthy as the other ones. To me, veggie burgers taste ok, but are clearly not comparable to the real ones.

Randy selling weed burgers was ok. Quite entertaining, although nothing spectacular.

Personally, I enjoy marijuana based food, although of course I wouldn't make it part of my diet on a regular basis. And even if I wanted too, it would only be possible if I lived in a city like Amsterdam. I had a marijuana cake once there, it was great.

All in all, a good episode. I rate it 7/10.

To those complaining on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube about randy being the main character of this season: south park was clear and honest about it with the new opening song.
He is the record!
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 pm

^^ It's interesting to see how everyone's sense of humor is different. Seeing ya'll loving on this episode has me confused.

For me, very average, if not below average of an episode. Some of the jokes they were trying out just weren't funny. I didn't laugh at Butters and Cartman's 'taco Tuesday' and such jingle, Randy and Towelie shooting the cows, Cartman's heart attacks... it was all kind of blah.

I am of course mad they have Sharon, Stan, and Shelley back on the farm as if they didn't walk out last week!!! Grrr stuff like that annoys me. Don't have Sharon make a big statement and leave with the kids, only to have them return with no explanation! It's not as if Randy did anything to warrant them to want to come back. Why the hell would they want to come back after everything the past few weeks? :roll: That opening scene was of course the funniest. Of course the only idea Randy likes is Towelie's.

Some things are just not very funny when it happens to kids. And seeing a kid, even one as horrible as Cartman, have a heart attack... not very funny. Although him flipping off 'f*ck you Wendy' was humorous.

It was interesting Matt and Trey went after plant-based vegan diets again. They already tackled vegans and vegetarians in the past and they usually don't pick the same topic again. But I guess there's enough new material for such topics to write jokes on. I personally don't know how anyone can be vegan or vegetarian. Maybe I'm just a picky eater and hardly eat veggies anyway. But it does annoy me how righteous those in such categories act. I work in a create-your-own pizza shop and the amount of people that are vegan/vegetarian... and now this 'low-card keto' diet is a huge fad too. They order our low-carb crust yet they load their pizzas with 20 toppings. Are you really eating that much healthier? :roll: Chemically altered food that 'resembles' meat and dairy is just weird to me.

As mentioned before, Randy shooting a bunch of cows was not very funny. Not like I care about cows but it felt like a cheap joke. I thought he would grind up the cows and make new burgers with the meat- since the cows were grazing his weed crop, he'd create a brand-new burger.

I don't know why all the school would be on board with the change in the cafeteria food. I don't see Stan, Kyle, or many other kids wanting to switch to 'incredible' meat. It should have just been a Cartman vs. Wendy/the girls kind of thing.

Not much else to say about this episode. It would be awesome if we get another Halloween episode, one as good as The Scoots, next week. Doubt it, but fun to speculate. So far the first run of season 22 was better than what season 23 is. Shame. Especially since we only get 10 episodes now so my Stan fix is really running on empty...

5/10, not worth re-watching.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:00 am

It was odd that the cafeteria's first attempt at healthier and more sustainable was fish. The way most fish is harvested around the world is the exact opposite of sustainable.

Funny concept to make a "edible" burger out of Tegridy's waste product. But isn't most of the THC in the flower? The leaves and stems are about as potent as hemp, if I'm right.
The funniest part though was Randy and Towelie setting up shop right outside BK; like on their property. Gutsy move, Randy.

Is that the movie theater guy working at Burger King now? Sure sounds like him.

I'm a pretty solid carnivore but even I know the "Well what do we do with all the cows if everyone stops eating meat?" argument is bullshit (pun intended). Nearly all livestock in the United States is artificially inseminated, so you just stop doing that and you no longer have a cow problem.

Fatass wasn't quite as annoying as I assumed he'd be. But once again it's him imposing himself on a much larger group and everyone had better bend to his wants or else he's the victim. And everyone just lets him get away with it; they're all enablers.
You don't like school lunch? Well you can always brown-bag it, dude. You're not living on the crack whore budget anymore from the early seasons.

I think there was a missed opportunity for some sort of conflict between Fatass and Stan since Randy was a big promoter of the non-meat food. I could've seen Cartman getting all pissed at Stan because he blames his dad for losing his meat slurry school lunch. In much the same way he'd blame Kyle for any sh*t started by Sheila. Instead there was all this stuff with this "goo man" which really didn't add anything to the show. Just a reference to that rich assh*le played by Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (that's how I saw it, at least).

My take on the subject matter is it's great if people want eat less meat. But don't try and make not-meat taste like meat. That's doing no one any good.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 am

The episode makes a good, important point, and has some nice bits of little things, but I can't point to anything very funny or even amusing about it.

Is the Goo Man a reference to something? He had a very dark, foreboding sense about him but it didn't travel anywhere. Is he a parody of something I should know? Some '80's movie? With another character named H. W.? It felt like they were building for him to be a villain but that's not exactly where the plot left off.

One of the interesting meta elements for me was seeing Randy and Towelie killing the cows while high, and it reminded me of how Matt and Trey wrote Jimbo and Ned back in the day. I kind of assumed part of why those two characters didn't usually see as much active use is perhaps them not finding the killing jokes as fun anymore, but this was full of them. A little surprised Randy didn't even think of him; the plot obviously, in retrospect, demanded Randy be the one pulling the trigger. A dialogue nod might've been nice though. ("My brother Jimbo's out of town so I guess we gotta do it ourselves.")

The thing is, even though I'm always an advocate of seeing more kids' stories, more stuff at the school, those were the boring parts of this episode for me. The Randy and Goo Man plot, while it involved less interesting protagonists, felt like it had some passion and intelligence behind it, but Cartman's plot felt a little more color-by-number. As wonderful as it was to see the Girls speaking and contributing to a story again, the tension around Cartman's fake heart attacks and his friendship with Butters didn't feel very authentic or consequential. We all know Cartman isn't going to die, and even if he did, it never feels like anyone really has an emotional stake. The ending, at least, is strong, but much of it just fell flat to me. A little bit of banter between the kids could've gone a long way, or replacing one of Cartman's heart attacks with something else.

Randy's plot, meanwhile, was a boring idea executed as well as it could be. I don't like Randy as a protagonist much but seeing him call in Gerald, argue pettily with the Burger King staff member (Movie Theater Guy's back!) and deal with the rancher, all of these are scenes where I expected less but was surprised by a little more. I'm glad Trey was smart to reuse existing characters for both roles, as well as City Wok Guy later, rather than create new restaraunt owners, staff members, and ranchers. I might've liked to see Denkins again instead of the rancher from YGO, but at least it was a familiar face. I feel like we got enough homemade burger jokes in "Ass Burgers" several seasons ago, but it felt like there was a little more thought and passion into this side of the plot.

Movie Theater Guy's name is Rick now. Schlomo is his Jewish name though ;)
The subplot of cartman complaining about the cafeteria food kind of confused me: is this how it works in American schools? Only one kind of meal, no alternatives? Because that's the only way the episode makes sense, with 2 or 3 choices everyone would be happy.
Not exactly. When I was in elementary and junior high school, you had the main option, but a few alternative - such as cold sandwiches. In high school, there were many options, but also students still complained about the food being unhealthy... then the suppliers changed and it was healthier but too expensive. I think that would've been a funny thing to work in.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
marcus0202

Postby marcus0202 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:07 am

Did anyone else catch quoting Lebron James from last week (who was asked about Daryl Morey's tweet in support of the Hong Kong protesters: "We all do have freedom of speech, but at times there are ramifications for the negative that can happen when you're not thinking about others and only thinking about yourself." "[The girls and vegan kid] are causing harm financially,, physically, emotionally and spiritually." I love the comparison. Lebron James, who perhaps had the opportunity to transcend sport, is acting as selfish as Eric Cartman. [And, for those of you who don't know, the Lebron-Morey back and forth relates to China's perceived ability to approve of and control U.S. entertainment, which Trey and Matt forshadowed in the second episode of this season just days before Morey's tweet.]
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:59 am

I took King James's tweet the same way I take this oft-heard statement: "Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences." Sure, you can say what you want, but others can reply to you and shoot you down. That's not the same as government censorship. If James mistook censorship for consequences, then yes, he messed up. And I don't see why Morey would be selfish in regards to Hong Kong, so James messed up there too. But James was probably thinking that if Morey spoke too much, the NBA would no longer be allowed to go to China, and there goes a great opportunity.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:36 am

JVM wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 am
Is the Goo Man a reference to something? He had a very dark, foreboding sense about him but it didn't travel anywhere. Is he a parody of something I should know? Some '80's movie? With another character named H. W.? It felt like they were building for him to be a villain but that's not exactly where the plot left off.
The "Goo Man" is an homage to Daniel Plainview from "There Will Be Blood". In that, Daniel is a ruthless oil tycoon who will do just about anything - including murder - to insure that his oil company is successful. "H.W." is a reference to H.W. Plainview, Daniel's adopted son in the movie.

There Will Be Blood Movie Trailer

I think this homage is paralleling Randy's own ruthlessness with his Tegridy business.
JVM

Postby JVM » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:50 am

See, the joke with LeBron James is the sort of pop culture reference I like more - the kids quoting things from the news, or from movies or history. It makes a sort of sense that they'd pull things like that, real life people do it all the time, and while I imagine it pulls some out of the experience anyway, for me it feels a little less 'dated' that way than some of the other ways Trey and Matt reference contemporary topics. It'll still play in five years. Whereas 'the LeBron James technique' in the Mysterion episodes can be shaky at first without the reference, though Cartman explains it a bit later.

Also, LeBron's statement was very ill-advised. Even if I were in agreement with the views he's trying to express, it just isn't a good look.
Milo Vonnegut wrote:The "Goo Man" is an homage to Daniel Plainview from "There Will Be Blood". In that, Daniel is a ruthless oil tycoon who will do just about anything - including murder - to insure that his oil company is successful. "H.W." is a reference to H.W. Plainview, Daniel's adopted son in the movie.

There Will Be Blood Movie Trailer

I think this homage is paralleling Randy's own ruthlessness with his Tegridy business.
Thank you so much, that's a really interesting homage. On my second viewing, I was certain the "H. W." nod would make it more obvious but I just couldn't place a movie. I think you're spot-on about the intent to parallel Randy, although that just makes me wonder if this character may return or not.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:20 am

JVM wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:50 am
I think you're spot-on about the intent to parallel Randy, although that just makes me wonder if this character may return or not.
In "Banned in China," they had to be careful with how they utilized the Disney characters or risk overstepping copyright boundaries. That's not the case here. "South Park" and "There Will Be Blood" are both the copyright of Viacom (via Comedy Central and Paramount Pictures, respectively). Come to think it, "the Goo Man" is hardly comes across as an homage/parody, he essentially IS Daniel Plainview in animated form. I'm sure as long of somebody at Viacom Inc. is okay with it, Matt and Trey can use him as long as they need to.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”