A jew and an antisemite

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Bummer_Salesman

A jew and an antisemite

Postby Bummer_Salesman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Okay, so I was watching the movie (again), and I noticed Sheila was about the only other character in the entire show who reprimands someone (Ike, for breaking another window) exactly like Eric does to his bad kitteh (that's a báád kitty, that's a bááád baby). Both Sheila and Cartman are clearly overweight, and at the time Liane was still considered Eric's father. Also, notice that Sheila's last name has both the words "bro" and "lov(e)" in it.
Could it have been an early draft that a jew and an antisemite actually were secretly brothers - maybe even playing with the idea of an evil (unidentical) twin)? Maybe the idea was eventually cancelled because it'd damage the relation Matt and Trey had envisioned for them?
We all know both Liane and Sheila have had their partying days (maybe the Jersey thing hadn't gone from Sheila's usual behaviour completely yet?), and Liane never really showed her wild days were really over, so I don't really see a reason why they wouldn't have hooked up on that fateful Barnfest.

I know it's not really a fanfic as it's usually meant, but on the other hand it's not really put like it's canon either so I just thought I'd dump it here. Also, please keep in mind I'm talking early draft and would've-beens here.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: A jew and an antisemite

Postby Big-Will » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Moving this to character discussion, as it's about two characters.

The notion that Kyle and Eric were brothers was a popular one in the early days, when Liane was a hermaphrodite. Why Eric would turn out fat and Kyle skinny is interesting, since Liane and Gerald are both skinny. Why Liane's family is so fat while she is skinny is also interesting, considering that Eric turned out fat while Liane and Mr. Ternorman are both skinny.

After all is said and done, it's best not to make sense of it and just enjoy the show. :)

An early draft of the movie was leaked after the movie hit the theaters, but it was dated January 1998, at the end of Season 1. By then, the characters as we know them were already established, so Kyle and Eric were never brothers.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Postby JVM » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:24 am

I don't mind this stuff as playful fan speculation, it's my favorite part of broader fandom, but you seem to be inquiring about author intentions, and that's a simpler matter.

I think the easy answer is I don't think Trey and Matt ever intended to revisit the issue of Cartman's parentage, and only did so in season 14 because the two-parter was meant to be a "Greatest Hits" collection. The possibility Kyle's mom was his own was mentioned in an interview with Matt (alongside Oprah!) and in the original episode, but it doesn't seem to me like they intended to revisit it during the movie per se.

We don't know anything about early drafts besides the one hosted at Big-Will's site. Someone named Fruitbowl floated around at one point claiming to have a separate early draft of the script, but all they remarked upon was the role of a background character named Flower, and although Fruitbowl seemed mostly reliable, that bit was fanfic-y as heck.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:42 am

And here is that story. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Character Discussion”