S23E05: "Tegridy Farms Halloween Special" postshow discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S23E05: "Tegridy Farms Halloween Special" postshow discussion

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:12 am

No posts to move over tonight? Strange.
How was the ep?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JOSHSKORN

Re: S23E05: "Tegridy Farms Halloween Special" postshow discussion

Postby JOSHSKORN » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:32 am

The only good thing about it was the ending. Terrible.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:15 am

Well I liked the episode but it was not the best. The mummy bit was weird. I don't know why Butters was to blame for the mummy destroying sh*t I guess I was suppose to watch old ass movies to understand that part. I liked Shelley in the episode. The Halloween Special should have not been to blame for all the monsters as a hallucination. I wish there were real monsters that Shelley was able to summon. I don't know, it was okay. Really I watched the World Series game 7 and got super drunk so I will have to watch this episode sober to take it in more fully.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
vanrandy

Postby vanrandy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:17 pm

First Time Post

I have been reading a lot of South Park fans are not happy with this season so far... In my opinion I have been a die hard South Park fan for the last 20 years since it first aired and I like what Matt and Trey have done so far this season compared too other seasons. I tend to feel like fans have way too high of expectations for every new season and episode is under a microscope. This season to me is showing they are trying something new again and its less edgy and more thought out then past seasons. One complaint I keep seeing is a lot of people are upset Cartman has not had his own episode yet. I think fans forget Cartman has had plenty of stories and episodes based on him over the years and they are trying something new with older characters that do not get as much screen time which I appreciate. Every season is always focused on the kids and this seasons its more about Randy and the farm. Realize that over the years South Park has touched on everything and anything to make fun of and now that has been played out they are going out of their comfort zone and trying something new and I have enjoyed it.

I give it an 8/10
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:00 pm

The best moment was the reveal that Randy and Towelie were hallucinating all those dead cows and Winnie the Pooh and so on.

Everyone gaslighting Butters for the mummy tearing sh*t up; that was frustrating. I suppose that was the point, but it's the kind of thing you see married people droning on about in 'normal' TV shows. Makes me think someone at the Studios is dealing with some marital non-bliss.

Missed opportunity here because Shelly is basically a witch. She conjures up a potion that makes the weed mutate, then cures it with a hilarious white trash remedy. All it was missing was Campbell's chicken noodle soup and it would have also cured their SARS. ;) I know they already did the witch thing 2 years ago, but it would still work. Hell, they could have even played off of the events of Sons a Witches. Regardless, it still seems like they left something on the table there with Shelly.

Sharon was too MIA for this episode. For f*ck's sake, she let Randy put Shelly in JAIL? Sharon should've never got back together with Randy at the end of Assburgers. They need to end this season with another divorce.

I enjoyed PC Principle's rant about Halloween costumes. I'm surprised there wasn't some comment about being offense to Egyptians when the mummy burst in. :lol:

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:28 pm

JamesPolo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:15 am
I don't know why Butters was to blame for the mummy destroying sh*t I guess I was suppose to watch old ass movies to understand that part.
Or you could listen to the tour guide (who has been the mechanic and a few other characters in the series) "You don't wanna put that stamp in your sticker book. It's got a curse on it. Ancient love cure not fit for any child."

Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm

What an improvement over the last couple episodes of this season!!

It was very refreshing to see Butters being his cute child-like self without any kind of manipulation or distraction from Cartman. I knew he'd shine through without fatass around. This is the kind of Butters I love. And his cute Halloween pajamas! I loved all the jokes concerning the mummy as if Butters was in a relationship with it. Of course no one believes anything he says and goes on like he's responsible for the actions of the mummy. He is but- not in the way they were thinking. And very funny to see the mummy drive off in a car- because of course he has a car! :lol: Reminded me of when Abraham Lincoln drives off in a car after talking wtih Kyle in 'The List.' lol

Loved the Shelley storyline!! They don't utilize her enough so I really liked seeing her pissed off and doing sh*t again. Although I'm still waiting for her to give Stan a good whack like old times. Shelley's supposed to be the toughest character out there so I want to see her get violent again. It was nice to see Randy trying to form a relationship with her- and in turn Shelley does seem to want one with him. But of course it didn't pan out. I lol'ed at the jokes of Shelley having a 'drug problem' even though the problem she has is everyone is using it! And locking her in jail at night would do anything like a scared straight program lol. Randy- 'Did you know Snoop Dog does weed?' lol

I actually laughed at PC Principal this time. His rant about costumes at the assembly was great. No one should dress like a bum. And Cartman to Kenny- no Halloween for you then Kenny! :lol: I wish we got to see the boys dressed up though. I guess Stan had a normal trick-or-treating then despite the sh*t happening on the farm. I had a feeling Randy was tripping balls towards the end! LOL Then he makes a comment how some 'fat angel' saved him. And Sharon- 'It's 8:30 in the morning. November 3rd.' lmao. Sharon sounds pretty pissed off this season so far. Maybe she'll flip her sh*t at the end of the season for good. That'd be fun to see. I agree with Triplemulitplex. ^ A third divorce would be nice.

This episode had a lot of funny one-liners and felt light and loose, as if the crew had a good time making this one. Will re-watch for sure. 8/10
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
mazzlynn

Postby mazzlynn » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 pm

Enough with Tegridy Farms. Bring Stan back to South Park please!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:44 am

mazzlynn wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 pm
Enough with Tegridy Farms. Bring Stan back to South Park please!
I'm afraid Tegridy Farms is this season's story arc. Next year will be something completely different.

Stan still goes to school in town.

JVM

Postby JVM » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:45 am

I liked this one a lot, and it might be my new favorite of the season.

The Tegridy Farms runner has worked best when it's allowed Matt and Trey to pick apart how it affects other characters - like Stan in "Band in China" and here with Shelly. It's those situations that justify making these things last a season or more instead of for one episode. Randy's business situations are all right, but it's letting it dig into the dimensions of the Marsh family where it really shines. I certainly hope an episode like that with Sharon is coming. I don't realistically expect to see Marvin, Jimbo, Ned or Sparky on the farm (Jimbo's been there, but I mean as a family member) but it'd be nice to go there. This is the first episode to explore Shelly's relationship with her dad in five years though, and it's a welcome reminder the Marsh family goes beyond him.

Matt and Trey celebrate Halloween by making the smarter decision to lean into the inherently supernatural nature of South Park and a heavy dose of absurdity. The last four episodes have all tied themselves to headlines, and while some of them made for excellent satire, it's nice to kick back and just enjoy the characters, the world, and the silliness without some bigger point that twists everything to fit. It would have been easy to do the same jokes with Butters and the Mummy on a set of characters like Stan and Wendy, Randy and Sharon, or Cartman and Heidi, but by planting the 'realistic' relationship humor ("ancient love curse") on an unusual situation, it becomes a lot funnier, at least for me.

Randy's hallucinations allowing him to get his comeuppance for being a greedy businessman ties the first half of the season together in a fun way, and might hopefully lead to a bit of positive development back to normalcy for him. It was funny to see Pooh and the Cows haunting him again; could've used some of the home-growers from the premiere, too. I've never been big on rape jokes, but I really do want to say... Harvey Weinstein, really, three years later? Could they have not found a more recent or current example to use? It's really not my humor but if it felt like it was going after someone less obvious I think I might've chuckled anyway.

I will say the "Did everyone enjoy the Halloween special?" "No, only you did." "That was my target audience anyway." joke felt like an odd sequel to the exchange in "Shots!!!" about how "people aren't stoked on Tegridy Farms anymore", as if Trey is ready to simply write into the text that he isn't concerned with how others feel about the season. He certainly seems to like writing metatext as Randy.... I hope this is a misreading on my part.

This probably sounds like a nasty, critical review, but I'd give it pretty healthy score. I'm just having more trouble putting my positives into words.
One complaint I keep seeing is a lot of people are upset Cartman has not had his own episode yet.
Who is saying this? Cartman was a chief focus in "Shots!!!" and "Let Them Eat Goo" with a strong role in "Mexican Joker" as well. He's been around plenty.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Wirxaw

Postby Wirxaw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Well, that was a disappointment. Last year's Scoots was far more intriguing. This is just... What was the point of Mummy? A play on words "mommy"? The sarcastic reverse psychology is really getting old. They've done it back with Sarcastaball and it was good, but this is effing stale. Shelly's drug problem was also supposed to be a good joke? Wow, golf clap right there.
Besides - who cured Towelie? What happened to the transformed people(assuming that people WERE supposed to feel bad from this drug)? Did Randy actually collect bleach-covered weed?

Sure, it's an effing halloween episode, but that kind of lousy writing is too terrible even for this excuse. Hell, aren't special episodes supposed to be special? Not "specially bad"?

I carp you not - this felt like Family Guy. Not just the season - but this particular episode, its pacing and narrative. Imagine them manitees picking up "butters and mummy", "shelly and witch" and that's it. A few notes around and you've got an episode.
If being compared to Family Guy is not the worst insult to South Park - then I don't know what is.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:20 pm

Wirxaw wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 pm
What happened to the transformed people(assuming that people WERE supposed to feel bad from this drug)?
Oh, they still got sick from it, but they didn't transform. Since we got to see how things looked from Shelley's point of view, we saw that it was all in Randy's imagination. Up until then, we were looking at things through Randy's point of view. We were in on his hallucinations.

Mafmaf

Postby Mafmaf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Don't know what the f*ck was that but it felt like I am watching different show. I like how the guy above me compared this to Family guy. But compared to Family Guy it wasn't even close to be funny as that. If I gave it 2/10 I'd be very generous.

There are episodes I've fallen in love much later (like Everything seem, sound and taste like sh*t episode). This one probably never will.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”