Coronavirus COVID-19 Discussion Thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

JamesPolo

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 Discussion Thread

Postby JamesPolo » Fri May 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Well, I like Trump and would vote for him again. He makes mistakes but so does everyone.

As far as coronavirus, I don't think it would have mattered who was the President being either a Democrat or Republican. Trump kind of went with what the majority wanted with COVID-19 and I feel others would have done the same.

The problem now is reopening and if we should and when. I think we need to reopen now as US National Debt is out of control. The US is adding like $1 Trillion a month while on lockdown and I am worried of the future consequences that will pose. People of the Right want to reopen now as people are suffering with no money and so is the economy. People of the Left at least say they don't want to reopen over lowering loss of life, but really it comes across with just acting contrary to whatever Trump wants to do.

I think the US should fully reopen and we should just allow some people to die. The problem is making sure there are enough hospital beds and care. Worst case scenario would be there are more sick then bed capacity.

Elections are coming up soon and Biden has not really been doing much but is getting attacked over old sex crimes or something where he propositioned a women 30 years ago. Trump has been stressed and overworked dealing exclusively over the coronavirus. I really don't know who is going to win the election.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
mario88

Postby mario88 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:13 pm

no, pal. too easy to say that everyone makes mistakes, and that the person in charge would not have made a great difference. off the top of my head, i can name several countries that did waay better than the u.s.: australia, new zealand, canada, the scandinavian countries except sweden, germany, south korea.

the person in charge makes a world of difference: for instance south korea and germany, thanks to their good work, have saved thousands of lives and their economies have reopened.

you have a clown in charge, and it shows.

p.s.: regarding the sex assault affair, it's not the matter of this topic, but if you want to, in another topic, we can talk about the one case biden is accused of, in which he has had at least the decency of addressing the topic in an interview, and also about the several cases of sexual assault trump is accused of, in one case even bragging about it.
He is the record!
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri May 08, 2020 6:44 pm

If you look at fatality rates of all countries and the US, the US is like 6% and that is not that bad when compared to other nations. I don't see how Trump handled things too wrong. Early there was not a majority wanting to shutdown the country if that is your argument. The US was already underprepared with ventilators and masks and plans in place. Trump inherited a broken plan for a pandemic where no one saw the errors of it until the event was progressing.

I'm not interested in the Biden sexual assault case. I was just pointing out that once this coronavirus stuff started there has been not much talk of politics and the election and the atmosphere is kind of hazy as to what will happen.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 pm

JamesPolo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:44 pm
If you look at fatality rates of all countries and the US, the US is like 6% and that is not that bad when compared to other nations. I don't see how Trump handled things too wrong. Early there was not a majority wanting to shutdown the country if that is your argument. The US was already underprepared with ventilators and masks and plans in place. Trump inherited a broken plan for a pandemic where no one saw the errors of it until the event was progressing.

I'm not interested in the Biden sexual assault case. I was just pointing out that once this coronavirus stuff started there has been not much talk of politics and the election and the atmosphere is kind of hazy as to what will happen.
all the countries i mentioned, and a few others, have far lower death rates than the u.s., the wealthiest and more powerful country in the world. the u.s. could and had to do much better.

trump was warned of the risks of the incumbent pandemic in january at the latest, and had before his eyes the thousands of deaths in europe, yet he didn't take action when it mattered the most, at the early signs of the spreading infection.

other countries did, and now they have already opened up again.

trump always blames the others for his failures, and usually simply makes up stuff in doing so. other leaders of other countries acted responsibly and that showed.

on a side note: you mention biden sexual assault case, then say you are not interested in it? :roll:
He is the record!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun May 10, 2020 6:13 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Oh Jeez, you don't see how he handled things wrong?

First, he downplays the threat of coronavirus for two months until the death toll was too high for him to ignore.

Then he talks about inheriting a broken plan for a pandemic, but that plan was just fine and in place when Obama handed the Presidency over to him. Then he goes about dismantling everything Obama handed him, especially this: The Trump administration fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018 to cut costs. This was over a year before the coronavirus appeared. The "broken plan" he inherited is one he broke himself. Now he's trying to blame Obama for everything having to do with the virus when it appeared long after Obama left office and thus had no role in handling this virus. Nobody saw the errors of this "broken plan" because Trump destroyed it to save money without exercising any foresight, and so had nothing to replace it with.

Much like Obamacare and the Trumpcare he keeps promising to replace it with.

Do you see the pattern here yet? He keeps promising stuff and comes up short every time.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:13 am
JamesPolo wrote:
Oh Jeez, you don't see how he handled things wrong?

First, he downplays the threat of coronavirus for two months until the death toll was too high for him to ignore.

Then he talks about inheriting a broken plan for a pandemic, but that plan was just fine and in place when Obama handed the Presidency over to him. Then he goes about dismantling everything Obama handed him, especially this: The Trump administration fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018 to cut costs. This was over a year before the coronavirus appeared. The "broken plan" he inherited is one he broke himself. Now he's trying to blame Obama for everything having to do with the virus when it appeared long after Obama left office and thus had no role in handling this virus. Nobody saw the errors of this "broken plan" because Trump destroyed it to save money without exercising any foresight, and so had nothing to replace it with.

Much like Obamacare and the Trumpcare he keeps promising to replace it with.

Do you see the pattern here yet? He keeps promising stuff and comes up short every time.
I still think that Trump did things fine. Other countries are lying from the Third World of their infected and death counts. US statistics are close enough to other nations to where I don't see much of a difference if you realize the US has 330 million people and look at how many citizens other countries have.

Past coronaviruses like Ebola, MERS, SARS and others were never this bad and were just fun jokes for comedians like from The Daily Show. Most people didn't at all expect the virus to be this disruptive.

I don't know if Trump took money out of a pandemic response team or not but that would be an error but it happens. As far as I remember with the task force or not there really were no people wanting the country on lockdown until March started anyways so I'd think the task force would have ruled similar.

Every President promised the moon and delivers nothing. Obama only gave us Obamacare and really nothing else. Trump will do similar. There is no bipartisanship in this country and no President can get much done.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:16 pm

JamesPolo wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 pm
There is no bipartisanship in this country
i have to agree on this: it was made particularly clear by the Senate Majority Leader, the republican Mitch McConnell, who dismissed the request for federal funds by New York as a "blue state bailout". it was one of the most disgraceful things i've ever heard, too low even for the low standards of politics. and that is, even ignoring the fact that New York State every year gives in taxes more than it takes.

back on topic, how ridiculous it is to complain about broken tests inherited by the previous administration? this disease emerged 3 years after Obama left.
He is the record!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed May 13, 2020 6:13 pm

JamesPolo wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 pm
I don't know if Trump took money out of a pandemic response team or not but that would be an error but it happens.
Oh, he not just took money out of it, he fired it. And it was a documented error. Did Trump Administration Fire the US Pandemic Response Team? But it happens.

mario88

Postby mario88 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:18 pm

"Florida COVID-19 data chief says she was removed from post after refusing to censor data"

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-covid-19 ... v6GiRQQGgi

"Rebekah Jones, the architect and onetime manager of Florida's COVID-19 dashboard, said on Monday she was removed from her post after she would not censor data.

In an email to CBS12 News, Jones said she refused to "manually change data to drum up support" for Florida's plan to reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic".

man, i wish we had south park right now. i would love to see their take on the whole coronavirus issue.
He is the record!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:51 am

100,000 dead Americans and Trump looks desperate trying to find someone else to blame for his incompetence.

China's stupidity in the early days has nothing to do with how terrible Orangeface and his cronies f*cked this up a month later. He can't stop lying. I have never seen a less credible President than his spate of daily 'briefings'. Can you imagine if FDR spent every address whining about how the economic crisis was a plot to personally undermine him? It's insane.

Regardless, though, the people have reached the point where they are giving up on the quarantining. It was inevitable, in all honesty. People held out for as long as they could, but at this point, the risk from financial doom is worse than the risk from Corona for most people. The data on who is dying or getting hospitalized shows the risk is still overwhelming to the old and weak. Yes there are handfuls of 'healthy' 'young' people affected, but compared to the whole, it's manageable.

I think if we can maintain good public hygiene and hold off a little while longer on mass events like sports and concerts, we'll be fine.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Looting in the time of COVID-19

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:59 am

And now we have protests over the death of George Floyd. Coming with those protests are riots and looting. The riots aren't as bad as they were in L.A.1992, but they're more widespread, striking cities from coast to coast and in Europe. The President's effort at powerful policing with the National Guard was met with a yawn, protesters' efforts at telling rioters and looters to stop it and go home are met with "You do you, I do me" and the rioting and looting continues.

triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 am

I thought there was going to be a repeat of a scene from the Rodney King riots when that dude in Minnesota almost ran people over with that semi. I remember they really layed into some white dude driving a truck in the wrong place at the wrong time in '92. Only the bravery of a few prevented a straight-up murder. So then when that asshat decided he was coming thru downtown Minneapolis even though the freeway was closed, I expected the worst. Because this time, the trucker may have deserved it. But again, cooler heads prevented it from becoming something that can't be undone.

I saw some interesting things during protests in my city (on TV of course; I don't have the passion or motivation to get that involved).
Multiple times I saw people in the background of live news picking up trash in the middle of the protest/riot and throwing it in the garbage. I saw a guy try and stomp out a garbage fire lit by the one jerk in the crowd. I saw a dude berate a young woman after she kicked at a window of a business.

In the most dramatic incident, there was one assh*le who lit a cop car on fire. Some dude tried to put it out with an extinguisher, but it didn't have enough juice. So then another guy got into the squad car, started it up, and moved it down the block, away from all the people and further from buildings, stopping in the middle of an intersection where it would be the furthest from any other structures, cars, or people. This turned out to be a great idea as a few minutes later, some bullets or something stored in the car started popping off in the heat of the fire. The news made a big deal about this guy driving a burning police car but I could see at the time, this wasn't some showboat, he knew what the situation was and risked harm to himself to move this danger away from where it would have caused more harm.

Lot of drama and crowds and surely by the end of the month, there's going to be a big Corona uptick. I am optimistic it will be worth it, but who knows. The news will surely blame it on the protests, but just as much will be from Memorial Day partying. Those crowds and that traveling swamps the protests by a long shot.

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Indeed, there are more cases now, thanks to the spikes and more openness, so some states have started to push back, requiring residents coming back from high-risk states to take the two=week quarantine that's been around for three months now. I fully expect the anti-maskers to lose their sh*t over this.

triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:49 am

We're supposed to wear masks around the office these days per county order. But it feels pointless with so few people in the building. Eh, whatever. I hardly rate this mild annoyance as some sort of assault on my "free-dumb".
The anti-mask protesters are the equivalent of someone defying gasoline rationing during WWII. You're helping the enemy, you stupid dumbass!

triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:29 am

I wonder if the Trump people would consider it a 'good job' if 200,000 Americans died from Corona under President Hill-Dawg...
The bar is so low for this douche.

With all these people working from home, I'm starting to forget what some of my coworkers look like. They are only their avatar on Microsoft Teams. (Or their initials if they're too lame to have picked an avatar by now.) Just a disembodied voice coming from an image of their cat or a sports team logo or an obscure anime character.
For the record, my work avatar is RCMP Ike Brovfloski riding his Saint Bernard. :lol:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”