*1003: Cartoon Wars*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Good for you, Makki. It's good to see that people still have a sense of humor. I do agree with you about the Danish cartoons. They were offensive, the artists had a good point, but they went about it the wrong way. South Park was much more effective by showing Muhammad, but treating his figure with respect. I think that they will still be sensitive in the new episode. They need to show that the western world is sensitive, but it is different here. I hope that they are smart about this, I don't want them to get in trouble over a stupid decision that they may make.
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:19 pm

lifeandotherlies wrote:I haven't read all the posts, and I don't know what's been said since my last post, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned...but I don't think there will be a part 2. At least I think they orinally never intended to make a part 2. Maybe by me saying this they will make a part 2. I don't think Matt and Trey read these sh*tty forums much.

its already been stated by comedy central there IS gonna be a part 2 so theres nothing to argue well unless they pull it from airing at the last minute like they did with trapped in the closet but i dont think they'd do that with a new episode my guess is its shown once and never again
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
The Dane

Postby The Dane » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:02 pm

As a Dane I can give a little more insight in the whole affair, and I strongly disagree with what Tweeks_Coffee says and properly alot of other people in here.

The original danish cartoons were made in a context like the one of the "The Super Best Friends", a author of a book for children couldn't find any people who dared to draw muhammed for the books illustrations. Why, because of muslims threats and so on. Thats why the danish newspaper asked people to draw muhammed, they didn't say draw him in a negative way or positive way, just draw him in the way you want to, and they did.

It was a fight against self-censorship, if we cant make fun of, critisize, be non-sensitive to anything, then we cant make a free discussion. Because then the next thing could fx. be that I could not say that it is disgusting that Mohammed had a relationship with Aisha we she was only 9 years... You simply cant tell me what to think and say.

And a funny thing is that noone knows how things work in denmark, in denmark we have a long history of mocking religion, in ways that for outsiders seem harsh. We cant show respect to oversensitive people, or else I will demand that everyone in Islam should stop saying that Jesus was just a prophet, or that Buddha was a heretic and so on and so on.

Muslims has to learn that some people think different than them, and they have to deal with it in a normal way, like believers in all the other religions have done.

Time for some good old Voltaire:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
makki

Postby makki » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:20 pm

The Dane....

Alot of what you said is correct. Everyone has the right to say what they think, or what they believe. Drawing the cartoons were not wrong, but they were offensive, but thats my problem, not the artist, newspaper, or the Danish public.

The Muslims retaliation to the cartoons was toooooo extreme, and wrong. They took it too far, and considering most people protesting hadn't even seen the photos. But both the Dane's and Muslim protestors have the right to express their opinion.

I know this forum isn't one of religon, but i need to clear something up, which alot of people in the west have been misinformed about. 1500 years ago girls matured at a much younger age than girls do these days. Second, Aysha was 9 years younger, and not 9 years old.

And just to let you guys know, Muslims are like any other group of people. NO SEX and SAND, means we need, and have time to watch alot of southpark.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:29 pm

makki wrote:The Dane....

Alot of what you said is correct. Everyone has the right to say what they think, or what they believe. Drawing the cartoons were not wrong, but they were offensive, but thats my problem, not the artist, newspaper, or the Danish public.

The Muslims retaliation to the cartoons was toooooo extreme, and wrong. They took it too far, and considering most people protesting hadn't even seen the photos. But both the Dane's and Muslim protestors have the right to express their opinion.

I know this forum isn't one of religon, but i need to clear something up, which alot of people in the west have been misinformed about. 1500 years ago girls matured at a much younger age than girls do these days. Second, Aysha was 9 years younger, and not 9 years old.

And just to let you guys know, Muslims are like any other group of people. NO SEX and SAND, means we need, and have time to watch alot of southpark.

The Danish cartoons depicted Muhammed as a terrorist so what did the extremists decide to do in self defense? Blow sh*t up. They just made the whole situation worse and right after the Danish cartoon fiasco, what did Iran do? They decided to hold a political cartoon contest and whoever had the most ant-Semetic cartoon wins. Dude, not cool. First, they prove the Danish cartoons true by rioting, then they show they are no better than the Danes for doing what they did.
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!
WyldeJ

Postby WyldeJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:32 pm

I agree with Makki,showing a big religous figure such as Muhammad with no repect is,,Scientology in the other hand i feel is nothing compared to a world wide religion.

BUT

Maybe Catholic's and Christian's may feel the same because they portray Jesus as a killer,"Christmas in Iraq" show's Jesus killing people,which is totally against their religon,but no one reacted to this.

They don't really show respect for one religion and do for another :?
Does not bother me as i'm none-religiousmjust feel it's weird treating religion's differnent to one another.
And if somebody replies about unfair on Scientology or something about no respect for Scientology i'm going to slap you!
It's Official.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:37 pm

WyldeJ wrote:I agree with Makki,showing a big religous figure such as Muhammad with no repect is

They made fun of all the religions except for Ilsam. It's their turn. Like Kyle said in the episode, Muslims can't show cartoons of Muhammed. Non-Muslims can.
makki

Postby makki » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:46 pm

The Muslim protestors did not blow anything up in retaliation to the Danish cartoons. They only burnt Danish flags, which is such a retarded thing to do. And I think the Iranian anti-Jewish cartoons are more offensive, to me as a Muslim, than the Danish cartoons. Because the Iranians prooved that Muslims have double standard, and want special treatment.

I think the only way to argue against the Scientology episode is if "THIS IS WHAT SCIENTOLOGIST ACTUALY BELIEVE" is not true. Although they did call it a global scam, but once again that brings up the whole freedom of speach and opinon thing.
bunnasoo

Postby bunnasoo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:00 pm

Big-Will wrote:
bunnasoo wrote:I put a jihad on you... I loved how he said that in Team America. As I understand it, you don't put a jihad on someone, you put a fatwa on someone.

jihad - struggle, or holy war. al-Zawahri put a jihad on Family Guy and on the nation that makes it. Muslim extremists put a jihad on the West a long time ago, vowing to get rid of it by war or by population growth.

fatwa - vengeance or retribution. Salman Rushdie is still under one for The Satanic Verses

I wanted to find out for sure if I was right or wrong about this, so I Googled "professor islamic studies" and emailed a few this question:

I have a question abut the word Jihad. Is it correct to say, "I put a jihad on you" or "we put a jihad on America." This phrase has come up in movies and tv shows, and from what I understand, that's not using the word correctly. Can you clear this up for me?

I only got one reply so far, from Alan Godlas, associate professor of religion, Islamic Studies and Arabic, University of Georgia, who wrote this:

It is NOT correct to use "jihad" in those sentences; in particular, it is incorrect to construe it with "put." One can, however, "declare a jihad" or "engage in jihad" or "fight in a jihad."

So assuming this guy knows what he's talking about, there you have it... when al-Zawahri said, "A jihad on Family guy and the Family Guy nation" that works, but in Team America when Hakmed the Terrorist said "I'll put a jihad on you" that was wrong. But again, in the context, that is it's said by someone who's pretending to be a terrorist who is so clueless that he wears an actual towel on his head (HILARIOUS!!), and considering the "terrorist bar" scene was so wrong on so many levels (radical muslims don't drink alcohol, listen to music, refer to themselves as terrorists and they'd probably behead that harem girl for her indecency) that I thought the grammatical incorrectness of "I'll put a jihad on you" WAS the joke! It's like saying "I'll put a war on you" or "I'll put a struggle on you."

And I also don't think they're trying to get rid of everybody in the west; they're trying to get the western element out of the Middle East because they want the whole of the Middle East to be one giant Islamic state. At least that's what I've learned from all the Islamist propaganda I can find that's in English. I'm sure there are ones who'd vaporize the entire west if they could, but I don't think that's the mainstream jihadist's goal. If we all got totally out of the middle east; military, product marketing, everything, there would be no more terrorist attacks in the west. Of course if we did and if they then consolidated into one gigantic state run by lunatics who use 21st century technology to keep everyone's head in the 7th century, that might not be such a great thing for the rest of the world either. The more I learn, the more hopeless I think it is, and the more grateful I am to things like South Park and Team America to help me laugh at it. The other day I saw a "Freedom isn't Free" tee shirt, which would normally make me cringe, but I just thought of "if you don't throw in your buck-0-five who will?" and I laughed instead. Thank you everyone who makes South Park for making living on this earth more bearable!

Bonnie
WyldeJ

Postby WyldeJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:04 pm

Well somebodies obviously done their homework!

A-

Good Work!
It's Official.
dup465042

Postby dup465042 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:05 pm

what channel do you lot watch south park on ? paramount ?
WyldeJ

Postby WyldeJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:11 pm

­Cartman wrote:what channel do you lot watch south park on ? paramount ?

As you new,please post questions etc. in the right thread,but you are new soo.. I download SP episodes off iMesh5.
But i did watch it on Paramount.
It's Official.
bunnasoo

Postby bunnasoo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:36 pm

WyldeJ wrote:[color=orange]Maybe Catholic's and Christian's may feel the same because they portray Jesus as a killer,"Christmas in Iraq" show's Jesus killing people,which is totally against their religon,but no one reacted to this.

Rambo Jesus from Christmas in Iraq probably bothered me more than anything ever in South Park (aside from Big Gay Al leading the USO show and execution in the movie) but I think no one reacted to it because the kind of Christians who get offended enough to raise a stink over things (like evolution and public displays of the 10 Commandments and"The Passion of the Christ") are usually also pro-war idiot flag wavers who LIKE the idea of Rambo Jesus blowing away Iraqis.

What I'm surprised at is that no one raised a stink over them ripping on Alcoholic's Anonymous!

Bonnie
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:38 pm

bunnasoo wrote:
WyldeJ wrote:[color=orange]Maybe Catholic's and Christian's may feel the same because they portray Jesus as a killer,"Christmas in Iraq" show's Jesus killing people,which is totally against their religon,but no one reacted to this.

Rambo Jesus from Christmas in Iraq probably bothered me more than anything ever in South Park (aside from Big Gay Al leading the USO show and execution in the movie) but I think no one reacted to it because the kind of Christians who get offended enough to raise a stink over things (like evolution and public displays of the 10 Commandments and"The Passion of the Christ") are usually also pro-war idiot flag wavers who LIKE the idea of Rambo Jesus blowing away Iraqis.

What I'm surprised at is that no one raised a stink over them ripping on Alcoholic's Anonymous!

Bonnie

The most offensive episode ripping on Jews had to be "the Passion of the Jew" but being a Jew that watches SP, I was used to it by then.
WyldeJ

Postby WyldeJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:43 pm

Indeed,the episode "The Passion of the Jew" was harsh on Jew's,
In the episode getting a Jew to think and feel bad thinking that the Jew's were to blame for the death of Christ.
It's Official.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”