Do any of you really like family guy?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

GOPGuyCA

Postby GOPGuyCA » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:45 am

I like Family Guy but I do find it cheap.

The characters in FG are all one-dimensional, and really not that interesting other than Stewie and Brian. Simpsons on the other hand has true to life, 3 dimensional characters. All of which are interesting. I'd watch a spin off featuring any character from Springfield.

South Park doesn't have the 3-dimensional characters, but unlike FG, South Park is filled with interesting and diverse characters. You get the 3-dimension from the fact every character is so extreme they just even each other out.

FG, I feel, also lacks passion. SP and Simpsons.. You can see and feel the passion that the creaters and writers have for the show. They NEVER sacrifice the integrity of their characters in hopes to get a few cheap laughs. FG.. I feel FG sacrifices their characters integrity all the time to get some cheap laugh.

The FG movie, for instance.. Lois being drunk and Meg being some guy.. That wasn't funny to me. All it looked like to me was the writers being out of ideas and sacrificing these characters integrity for a cheap laugh.

Comes down to the fact that no one in FG stands for anything. The characters are just there. As where in SP and Simpsons every character stands for something. You can always expect Stan and Kyle to take the high road. Cartman to be a racist ass. Kenny to be a sexually educated young man who dies. Marge is always responsibile and caring. Homer acts like an idiot but does love his family. Bart the trouble maker. Lisa the smart liberal.

FG... You never know what to expect. The only thing we can expect is Quagmire being a perv.

Also, watching some of the commentries on FG... The writers and creater are so disconnected from the show. They didn't know any of the characters in the show or remember their previous episodes. It's like, huh? It's quite obvious to them it's quick money.

I feel the movie was thrown together at the last minute to make profit right when FG was super hot when it first returned. And then these box sets... "Volumes" WTF is that? Boxsets are supposed to be released in seasons not volumes.

Clearly they are just releasing this stuff ASAP to cash in on the most money. And it shows as there is a real lack of extra features in these box sets.

I do enjoy FG though. It's just not at the same level as many other shows. If the writers and creater cared more about the show rather than their back account, maybe but. eh
trammbotic

Postby trammbotic » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:14 am

First off let me say that I agree with the points they made on this show as I often do. I am addressing the shots taken at Family Guy.

Help me out here. I am very confused about something. How can South Park dare criticize Family Guy for outlandish jokes that have nothing to do with the plot? South Park has done this many times. I seem to remember an entire song about what ice skater Brian Boitano would do. WTF was that about? How was that connected to the plot exactly? It was funny, mostly because it came out of left field and just dumbfounded the viewer for a moment. That in itself sometimes makes jokes like that hilarious. And come on guys, talking poo and towels!? This show likes to think of itself as a moral guide to life, it is just a cartoon like any other. It is for entertainment value.

Quite honestly I tired of south park a year or so after the movie. It just isn't funny anymore. It is pretentious crap. The shame is South Park has had so many wasted chances to be funny. The whole scientology thing was a golden opportunity squandered. I couldn't wait to see them take a shot at scientology. What did we get, an episode about chief that was not funny in the least. Sorry but these Cartoon Wars episodes make Matt and Trey sound like a couple of desperate jealous whores. They are no longer the hot sought after cartoon of the land. That is just how it goes. They should have closed up shop when the show was still strong. Instead of trying to attack shows that have overtaken the top spot they once held, maybe they should concentrate on making the show funny again.
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:49 am

trammbotic wrote:Quite honestly I tired of south park a year or so after the movie. It just isn't funny anymore. It is pretentious crap. The shame is South Park has had so many wasted chances to be funny. The whole scientology thing was a golden opportunity squandered. I couldn't wait to see them take a shot at scientology. What did we get, an episode about chief that was not funny in the least. Sorry but these Cartoon Wars episodes make Matt and Trey sound like a couple of desperate jealous whores. They are no longer the hot sought after cartoon of the land. That is just how it goes. They should have closed up shop when the show was still strong. Instead of trying to attack shows that have overtaken the top spot they once held, maybe they should concentrate on making the show funny again.

Wow, if you haven't liked South Park since season 3(when the movie came out), then why the hell are you on this board?
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
trammbotic

Because

Postby trammbotic » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:56 am

I made the mistake of listening to the hype and watching again. I am all up for lampooning any and everything. But for godsake, make it funny. Yes AIDS is finally funny, but south park isn't.
Lovefist233

Postby Lovefist233 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:04 am

family guy is ok, i never watched it much but stewie is class,

"damn you vile woman, you've impeded my work since the day i left your wretched womb"

heh heh, southpark is funnier tho
religion is for idiots
ledzeppln2021

First off, I think it is a little lame to bash Family Guy

Postby ledzeppln2021 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:06 am

First off, I think it is a little lame to bash Family Guy, but Matt and Trey have not only made some very hilarious episodes, and haven't gotten stale at all. If any show has gone tired, it is The Simpsons. The jokes have just gotten old. I never thought that Mr. Hanky was funny but there have been plenty of episodes with underlying intellectual views on the world, and deffinately a very leftist one also. I equally respect Family Guy and South Park but I think it is lame for them to bash one another.
CaN_o_WhOoPaSs

Postby CaN_o_WhOoPaSs » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:14 am

yea i like family guy, even though its dumb hilarity and no plot or story at all its still pretty funny
"Dude,This is pretty ƒucked up right here"
-Stan-

Re: First off, I think it is a little lame to bash Family Gu

Postby cartman8213 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 am

ledzeppln2021 wrote:First off, I think it is a little lame to bash Family Guy, but Matt and Trey have not only made some very hilarious episodes, and haven't gotten stale at all. If any show has gone tired, it is The Simpsons. The jokes have just gotten old. I never thought that Mr. Hanky was funny but there have been plenty of episodes with underlying intellectual views on the world, and deffinately a very leftist one also. I equally respect Family Guy and South Park but I think it is lame for them to bash one another.

How is it lame to bash family guy? It's funny. I like both shows. I don't like the new episodes of family guy because they have gotten way too random. Half of the show is flashbacks. Matt and Trey hit the parody of them right on.
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
Blinky56

Postby Blinky56 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:42 pm

I haven't even seen a eppy.. :lol:

Kyle: Dude, what are you doing?
Cartman: Not much. You know, just hangin' out. How've you been, man? Good?
Kyle: Dude, get away from me!
Cartman: Yeah. It's nice talking with you, Kyle. See you around
Mrs._Stan_Darsh

Postby Mrs._Stan_Darsh » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE LOVE LOVE South Park...

and family guy is ok

but I do sometimes like the fact that I can watch pure fart jokes without it getting preachy and up its own assh*le with messages...
like that truckdriver said...

But South Park totally kicks its ass
I Iearned something today, and it's that America is our home team, and if you don't want to root for the home team then get the hell out of the stadium.
xrusader

Postby xrusader » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:04 am

It sucks!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:44 am

I'm not around when it's on, so I don't have an opinion on it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
gmac

Postby gmac » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:49 am

I actually like family guy, it's funnier than south park, but not better if you know what i mean.
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:53 am

I have never liked Family Guy. Even before the Cartoon Wars episode, M&T's perception of the show was similar to mine. Stewie really is the only character in the show I like and even he doesn't have many great lines. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud at Family Guy at all though.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
Stovepipe_Jam

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:47 pm

I like Family Guy a lot, and I also like South Park a lot. But to me Family Guy is just a comedy, while South Park is (or was) more than just that.

I know it's just joke after joke, but that's why I like it. i mean, at least it's not like it's all preachy and up its own ass with messages....

I have no problem with South Park making fun of Family guy; in fact I really liked the second part of Cartoon Wars. It's fun to have someone rip on the stuff you like once in a while. Like religion.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”