The Danish Mohammed Cartoons

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:39 pm

Due to the last two episodes I feel like posting about my experiences as a Dane on the "Mohammed-Case" (as we call it here in Denmark), the thing about the Danish Cartoons with Mohammed.

-------------------

I'm from Denmark, and I'm PROUD of it! Most people from Denmark are proud of being Danes, and until recently Muslims all around the world saw Denmark as a very neutral place and welcomed us open minded. But since we showed these cartoons, that you all probably heard about, they started to 'hate' us.

See the drawings here.

And I'm SICK and TIRED of these cartoons, all of our tv channels never showed anything else than news in the "Mohammed-Case", extra news shows and so on... Then they started to protest, burn our flag, burn down our embassies, boycott our dairy product (which they loved before) and KILL each other :shock:

But if you want to know the story, here it is: A childbook writer wanted to make a book about Muslims, and he wanted a drawing of the prophet Mohammed in it, but no one dared to draw him. The Danish news paper "Jyllands Posten" heard of this and just couldn't believe it, so they contacted all of their animators and told them to do a drawing of Mohammed each, twelve of them agreed to make one. See the drawings here. A few days later all of the pictures was published in the paper, and NOTHING happened, not until THREE MONTHS LATER. And the reason for the Muslims to get all pissed of was MUSLIMS. The Imams (Some kind of Muslim authority) travelled to the middle east showing Muslims pictures to everybody saying the Danes didn't respect there religion. But furthermore they showed a picture of this guy in a pigs mask saying he was a Dane too, but it later came out that it was from a French party or something. And that's why they got pissed of, mostly because of lies and exaggerations.

Pictures from a demonstration in London:

"Be prepared for the real holocaust!"
"Behead those who insult Islam"
"Europe you will pay. Your 9/11 is on it's way!"

Picture of the burning embassy in Syria:

That was the kind of anger we saw on TV every day! And that's what the big guys at comedy central are afraid of, and I can see why.. But still I think they should have permitted Matt and trey to show Mohammed.

And now South Park takes up the subject, but somehow I feel they don't know enough about. And in some way I find it hard to pick sides, because in some way I feel it is just provoking, but still when he's just standing there it's gay that they HAVE to censor him. And there's the risk that they'll get pissed again.
But they won't get pissed unless someone blows the story up, as I wrote before, the case in Denmark wouldn't have gotten this big if it wasn't for those Imams to travel the Middle East getting everybody pissed of.

Maybe some of you watch 60 Minutes, I did once, because it was about the Mohammed Cartoons. And now I HATE 60 Minutes. I mean, they told about us as if we were this fairy tale country way back in time that thinks it's protected from the rest of the world, they say "it's time for Denmark to wake up". That's f*cked up, that kind of things pisses me so much of! That's just stupid, that kind of TV/reporting makes europeans think americans are unintelligent. Fact is that Denmark is one of THE RICHEST states in the WHOLE WORLD! And leading in research, in areas like the hydrogen-car.

Another "funny" thing: In Denmark there's a political party called "Dansk Folkeparti" (The Danish people's Party) that has very strong politics when it comes to immigrants.. And that party witnessed a huge increasing of their number of members.

A post by 'the proud dane' Martin (MLZS)
Spielautomaten kostenlos spielen durch meine Homepage!

DieAchse: Hier finden Sie Alles über Roulette online.

Ein Einarmiger Bandit macht immer spaß!
Hier gibt asSpielautomaten Spiele online!
.Stoch

Postby .Stoch » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:02 pm

You win the badass game.

+7 to amazing.

my new favorite.
gregh2k5

Re: The Danish Mohammed Cartoons

Postby gregh2k5 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:24 pm

MLZS__DA_SP_FAN wrote:Then they started to protest, burn our flag, burn down our embassies, boycott our dairy product (which they loved before) and KILL each other

Now you know what it's like to be an American. Kind of pisses you off when you see your flag burned, doesn't it? We see our flag burned, and people disrespecting us all the time. Hell, even you just insulted me by calling americans unintelligent, but I'm used hearing that kind of crap from europeans on the internet.

By the way, most Americans thought the muslim reaction was bullsh*t. In opinion polls, we stood behind the danish (60 minutes doesn't speak for the whole country)
I don't have to conform to everyone else and make a signature!!! oh... sh*t!
nojo

Postby nojo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:10 pm

And there you have the cause of the rioting: an editorial cartoon.

By the way, Americans who want to ban flag-burning are no better. Disrespectful? Yes. But surely we have bigger balls than that.
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:09 pm

gregh2k5 wrote:By the way, most Americans thought the muslim reaction was bullsh*t. In opinion polls, we stood behind the danish (60 minutes doesn't speak for the whole country)

I know, never said the oposit. But still.

And you wrote something like "now you know how it's like to be an american" but the Danish flag, I think, means much more to Danes than the american flag does to americans. It is called Danebrog and we treat it with respect and there are a lot of afficial laws on how to use it and so on. In denmark, for instance, it's illigal to put up an american flag, if you want to put anything but the danish flag ud you have to seek permission, but even though you get the permission you have to put up the danish flag above it and at least double as big.

.Stoch wrote:
You win the badass game.

+7 to amazing.

my new favorite.

'Que?

Kenny Da King

Postby Kenny Da King » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:46 pm

those muslims should just freaking chill out. I know its very offensive, but people bitterly insult jews and christians all the time (like matt and trey were trying to get at) and they depict jesus or abraham or whatever badly, and you don't see jews or christians getting all radacal. Seriously all you out there that follow islam just chill, your not all terrorists but don't get all funky about sh*t that happens like this.
KirstenFromHell

Postby KirstenFromHell » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:13 am

[quote="gregh2k5":05759][quote="MLZS__DA_SP_FAN":05759]Then they started to protest, burn our flag, burn down our embassies, boycott our dairy product (which they loved before) and KILL each other[/quote:05759]

Now you know what it's like to be an American. Kind of pisses you off when you see your flag burned, doesn't it? We see our flag burned, and people disrespecting us all the time.
[/quote:05759]
You know, this sort of condescending attitude isn't the sort of thing that exactly endears us to the rest of the world.

[quote="gregh2k5":05759]
[b:05759] Hell, even you just insulted me by calling americans unintelligent[/b:05759], but I'm used hearing that kind of crap from europeans on the internet.
[/quote:05759]

No. He did not call Americans unintelligent. Please go back and re-read what he wrote. He said that the sort of reporting like the piece 60 minutes did on this subject, is the sort of thing that makes Europeans [i:05759]in general[/i:05759] think Americans are unintelligent. He wasn't saying that that was his personal opinion. I'll refrain from the obvious joke here.

Excellent post MLZS__DA_SP_FAN.

-KFH
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:27 am

Kenny Da King wrote:those muslims should just freaking chill out. I know its very offensive, but people bitterly insult jews and christians all the time (like matt and trey were trying to get at) and they depict jesus or abraham or whatever badly, and you don't see jews or christians getting all radacal. Seriously all you out there that follow islam just chill, your not all terrorists but don't get all funky about sh*t that happens like this.

I second that, but then again it's in the Koran (Is it spelled like that in English?) that your not allowed to make any kind of picture of god or his prophet.
But that's in the bible too! Like Michelangelo picturing the creation, at first he didn't wanted to paint it, because no one should paint god or jesus, but then he was threadened to do it, or sumthing (can't remember the whole story). But today we paint Jeus and God at such things all the time, and that is what I call civilization! Christians moved on! Just like, today, we don't burn people because we think they're avil anymore!

KirstenFromHell wrote:Excellent post MLZS__DA_SP_FAN.

Thank you man! Longest post I ever made on the BBS I think.. And thank you for backing me up ;)

brownCHEESE

Postby brownCHEESE » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:49 pm

I can see what you mean MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

I'm from Norway myself (Vi fra Skandinavia må holde sammen :D). We have a newspaper called "afenposten" who published some drawings of mohammed. About 2-3 months after that, we saw muslims burn our falg on TV.

To be honset, I think all this is pretty messed up! Not to long ago, I heard of a school somewhere(I never catched where it was, but it's true) who had a drawing of a pig a kid had made on the wall. The school was forced to take it down, because the muslims at the school thougt it was too offending! I mean, come on!

from my side, the muslims looks like rebels, and they are pissed off, and need to express their anger in some way, so they find some stupid thing to protest about, and there you have it!

It's wierd to think about it, but it's like my brother said right after we saw that burning flag on TV "so the reason for world war 3 is going to be some drawings..." off course I don't think it will end like that, but it seems we can't do anything, can't draw anything, we can't say anything without someone getting pissed off and burning flags, and making terrible threts!

Yes, I can see that it's offendig when they're not supposed to see or draw the mohammed drawing, but that's THEIR laws, not ours! Here in Norway, the constitution says that we have free speach! That's our law! if someone somewhere else on this planet don't get to say what the want, we norwegians can't burn their flag just because our law says we have free speach and their don't (I know it's a stupid example, but it's all I got at the moment) !
COOKY36

Postby COOKY36 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:25 pm

Thankyou for the origional post. We have, so called "freedom of speech" in the US but if the media decides not to show something we are stuck. Most Americans are with you in spirit. These Extremists realy piss me off.

Keep up the good fight
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:05 pm

If anyone's interested here's an archive of Mohammed images throughout history, some of which were done by Muslims themselves in Arab countries.

http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/
cailindana

Postby cailindana » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:57 pm

Great post and I totally agree. This is not about the illustrations but the media's portrayal of it all.

Hardly any of the international news channels fully explained the timeline and that it was the Imam's who kicked it off by stirring emotions and whipping up people's anger on their tour of the ME.

The media in Europe handled it somewhat better. Most of the liberal papers ran the illustrations (in particular the French who ran them many times to be sure, to be sure and have a huge Muslim community of their own).

The Muslim reaction was indeed extreme and whilst I obviously don't condone or support it, they were whipped up into a frenzy by these people and are also sh*t sick of being target/abused/murdered for their beliefs at the hands of the British and the Americans. Before anyone starts - no, I am NOT anti- American but anti the phoney war, so don't even go there.

The American media was extremely lax but that would mainly be because of their illegal war and the fact that they are scapegoating the Muslims for their
War on Oil so it was a perfect story for them coupled with the fact that the major media and news & ents corps (incl. CC) are presided over by organisations who have historically donated to Bush's campaign, so of course they would come down on his administrations side. (AOL acquired TW in 2000 so you'd need to check who they donate to, can't find it but in the past TW did fund Bush's re eclection)

The commercial channels in America are all about advertising and presenting the government in the best possible light, there is very little criticism of them so, in my opinion, a story like this was a coup for them.

BTW I think the Danish PM ROCKS for saying that it wasn't his place to interfere with a free press, that the State and Press are separate so his govt could not be hold accountable for their actions.

Go forth and buy LEGO!

TIME-WARNER TBS - AOL (donated 1.6 million to GW's 2000 campaign)
America Online (AOL) acquired Time Warner–the largest merger in corporate history.

Television Holdings:
* CNN, HBO, Cinemax, TBS Superstation, Turner Network Television, Turner Classic Movies, Warner Brothers Television, Cartoon Network, Sega Channel, TNT, Comedy Central (50%), E! (49%), Court TV (50%).

GENERAL ELECTRIC --(donated 1.1 million to GW Bush for his 2000 election campaign)

Television Holdings:
* NBC: includes 13 stations, 28% of US households.
* NBC Network News: The Today Show, Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, Meet the Press, Dateline NBC, NBC News at Sunrise.
* CNBC business television; MSNBC 24-hour cable and Internet news service (co-owned by NBC and Microsoft); Court TV (co-owned with Time Warner), Bravo (50%), A&E (25%), History Channel (25%).

The "MS" in MSNBC
means microsoft
The same Microsoft that donated 2.4 million to get GW bush elected.

Read more: http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530.php
Pog mo thoin
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:33 am

brownCHEESE wrote:I'm from Norway myself (Vi fra Skandinavia må holde sammen ). We have a newspaper called "afenposten" who published some drawings of mohammed. About 2-3 months after that, we saw muslims burn our falg on TV.

Good to see there's more of us on here ;)
Hehe, atually because they had so many danish flags they just painted some blue colors on the danish flag and wrote norway on 'em and then burned them.
And while we douldn't sell our diary products down there we sold more flags than ever!! :D

cailindana wrote:Great post and I totally agree. This is not about the illustrations but the media's portrayal of it all.

Hardly any of the international news channels fully explained the timeline and that it was the Imam's who kicked it off by stirring emotions and whipping up people's anger on their tour of the ME.

That's right, most countries didn't tell about the imams.
cailindana wrote:The media in Europe handled it somewhat better. Most of the liberal papers ran the illustrations (in particular the French who ran them many times to be sure, to be sure and have a huge Muslim community of their own).

Yeah, the French were great! What was it now? God saying "relaw they make cartoons of me all the time" or something.
cailindana wrote:The American media was extremely lax but that would mainly be because of their illegal war and the fact that they are scapegoating the Muslims for their
War on Oil so it was a perfect story for them coupled with the fact that the major media and news & ents corps (incl. CC) are presided over by organisations who have historically donated to Bush's campaign, so of course they would come down on his administrations side. (AOL acquired TW in 2000 so you'd need to check who they donate to, can't find it but in the past TW did fund Bush's re eclection)
TIME-WARNER TBS - AOL (donated 1.6 million to GW's 2000 campaign)
America Online (AOL) acquired Time Warner–the largest merger in corporate history.

Television Holdings:
* CNN, HBO, Cinemax, TBS Superstation, Turner Network Television, Turner Classic Movies, Warner Brothers Television, Cartoon Network, Sega Channel, TNT, Comedy Central (50%), E! (49%), Court TV (50%).

GENERAL ELECTRIC --(donated 1.1 million to GW Bush for his 2000 election campaign)

Television Holdings:
* NBC: includes 13 stations, 28% of US households.
* NBC Network News: The Today Show, Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, Meet the Press, Dateline NBC, NBC News at Sunrise.
* CNBC business television; MSNBC 24-hour cable and Internet news service (co-owned by NBC and Microsoft); Court TV (co-owned with Time Warner), Bravo (50%), A&E (25%), History Channel (25%).

The "MS" in MSNBC
means microsoft
The same Microsoft that donated 2.4 million to get GW bush elected.

Read more: http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530.php

[/quote]

I didn't know that! That's gay :/

THANK you all for the responses!

cailindana

Postby cailindana » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Yeah, it's all true. I did a project on it 11 years ago so I find some of the propagandistic 'news' channels AMUSING.

I hate Sky News as Murdoch owns it.

Howver, James Rubin (American) now anchors the World News at 8pm every weeknight and he ROCKS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Rubin

Also, his wife Christiane Amanpour is on CNN and as much as I detest the American one (the European one is ok), I'll watch out for her next time I get it.

(in Persian: کریستین امان‌پور) is chief international correspondent for CNN. Based out of CNN's London bureau, Amanpour is one of the most recognized international correspondents on American television. Her willingness to work in dangerous conflict zones has reportedly made her one of the more highly (if not the highest) paid field reporters in the world. She speaks English, Persian, and French fluently. Forbes magazine has named her one of The 100 Most Powerful Women.

Also, wait for this now.....did you know????

[b]
On the television series Battlestar Galactica, the character of news reporter D'anna Biers (portrayed by Lucy Lawless) is loosely based on Amanpour.

How cool is that??!! And she also:

called current events in Iraq a disaster on a CNN show with Larry King in January 2006.

So, we just gotta go with the good reporters and f*ck the rest of them. They are in the pockets of the govt and have also made donations in return for access to press conferences. They often ban the 'difficult' reporters from White House press conferences.
FACT[/b]
Pog mo thoin
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:07 am

cailindana wrote:They often ban the 'difficult' reporters from White House press conferences.
FACT[/b]

That's wrong man. And when they start doing this kind of stuff their allmost as bad as the goverments in the 'not free' countries in the middle east.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”