Grats on the Emmy Nom!

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:56 pm

...meanwhile a rapid amount of whiney bitches complain about the South Park episode....

:roll:
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:00 am

Jay C wrote:What other cartoon episodes have been nominated? Just wondering...

From what I remember (pshh, looking stuff up), there was also Family Guy (PTV), Camp Lazlo (... something), Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (Go Goo Go), and, uh, that's all I remember. Maybe that was it. I dunno.

And honestly, you know I think the whole "magic" and "heart" thing is a load of crap - basically it came down to this: that Simpsons episode entertained me way more than the SP episode did, and it had better writing.

And Killa, what are you talking about? Thus far I've been the only one not cheering for South Park to win this (on this thread, at least), so what rapid amount of whiny bitches are you talking about? Besides, you seem to ignore the fact that I did state that I still liked the episode. I just don't think it's deserving of an Emmy.

And I'd still like to know why it was such a great episode, instead of you people just saying it was, commotion aside (because honestly, commotion caused from this show is awesome).
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:36 am

...meanwhile a rapid (what?) amount of whiney idiots actually want South Park to be a good show.

:roll:

Yeah, I could've picked several episodes that were actually funny to nominate. I think Cartoon Wars would've been a far better choice, it maintained some comedy, yet made a rather important point. As opposed to TITC, which the major point was, "OMG, THOM CRUS SUX!!!!".
general disaray

Postby general disaray » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:04 am

I hope Trey and Matt thank Xenu if they win
To alcohol, the cause of and solution to, all of lifes problems
Nintendorkus

Postby Nintendorkus » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:01 am

Trapped in the Closet was great because scientology is such freaking crap. Anyone who believes that bullsh*t is just f*cking retarded, and the episode made a great point. I think having a whole episode based around that was good because of how widespread this crap has become, and people need to realize how stupid it is. And that joke at the end with "Fine! Go ahead and sue me!" and then having the fake names in the credits was hilarious.

By the way, this is in response to ice's post that was responding to my post. Sorry for the lateness. But I would agree with you ice if scientology wasn't as widespread as it is.
ImageImageImage
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:59 am

See, I liked that particular episode too. However I would also have to agree with the sentiment that the primary reason it got nominated was because it was controversial, not necessarily because it was the best episode of the latter 9th season run. To illustrate what I mean, here are all of the episodes in said run:

908. Two Days Before The Day After Tomorrow
909. Marjorine
910. Follow That Egg!
911. Ginger Kids
912. Trapped In The Closet
913. Free Willzy-x
914. Bloody Mary

TITC didn't really have any laugh out loud moments the way the others did for the most part. Nor was it the only episode to tackle a controversial issue, since the same could be said for 910 and 914. Yes Scientology deserved what they got, and more if you ask me. I just think that the other episodes may have gotten overlooked because they didn't appear all over the news the way TITC did.

I would have nominated Bloody Mary if I were forced to choose. It exposed 12-stepping for what it is, the story had a decent moral, and the scene with Pope Ratzinger was priceless. Plus paredolia is funny enough on its own. :D
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:04 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:the same could be said for 910 and 914

908, too - didn't that episode win South Park a Peabody, or am I misplacing information?

Still, I repeat: is it too early to nominate something from season ten? Because I agree with TC on Cartoon Wars. Extremely controversial, got this board in about just as much as a tizzy as 912 did (maybe not quite as much, though), and was an episode of higher quality.

(Apparently Emmy nominations are just sucking in general this time around, though. Nominate House but no Hugh Laurie? The hell?)
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:07 am

iceiwynd wrote:908, too - didn't that episode win South Park a Peabody, or am I misplacing information?

Can't remember... one of the episodes did win that award... but I remembered loving that episode. I thought 2 days was good, but that's about it.

I agree with KtS on this... I would have chose Bloody Mary over TITC. But, I guess that kind of shows that making fun of show-business is more controvertial than insulting AA and basically the biggest religion in the whole world.

I bet the world back in the 16th century never expeced that, eh?

I'll surf the Emmy awards site tomorrow in school to see exactly what got nominated for stuff... this is starting to get me interested in this, actually.
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
Cedric Digsby

Postby Cedric Digsby » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:54 pm

The Peabody Award was not for a particular episode, the Peabody folk merely praised South Park's satire and cited several targets of the show's humor:

The Peabody Awards
Year: 2005
Title: South Park
Producing Organization(s): Comedy Central

No aspect of modern society is exempt from the scathing satirical campaigns mounted by the raucous children of South Park. Institutions, individuals, and ideologies – all are targets. So, too, is the series itself. Constantly doing battle with critics, with those whose values it challenges or lampoons, and with its own network, this cartoon for adults continues to push the boundaries of what is meant by "freedom of speech." Censorship, the largest thorn in the side of creators/executive producers Trey Parker and Matt Stone, is attacked regularly, and in its ten years, South Park has broken down the barriers of television censorship, created new ones, and subsequently shattered them again. Victims of the show's irreverence range from religious leaders and icons of all faiths to presidents and political leaders to celebrities. Moses and Mel Gibson, Saddam Hussein and Paris Hilton all have taken their lumps. In the process of unapologetically ridiculing individuals and groups, the series pushes viewers to confront broader issues such as racism, war, mob mentality, consumerism, and religious fanaticism. Simplistic yet surprisingly expressive animation enables the show's creators to produce episodes in less than a week, blending immediately topical subject matter into each installment. In addition to Parker and Stone, who write, direct, produce, and provide voices for each episode, South Park relies on the work of producers Frank Agnone and Jennifer Howell, executive producer Anne Garefino, and director of animation Eric Stough. For pushing buttons and envelopes with stringent social commentary, South Park receives a Peabody Award.

Apologies for taking up even more space here, but it's interesting to note how the other nominees for this year's Emmys have included so many of the people involved, whereas South Park mentions only five.

58th Annual Primetime Emmy® Awards Nominations
Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour)

Camp Lazlo • Hello Dolly / Over Cooked Beans • Cartoon
Network • Cartoon Network Studios
Joe Murray, Executive Producer
Brian Miller, Executive Producer
Mark O’Hare, Supervising Producer
Jennifer Pelphrey, Supervising Producer
Shareena Carlson, Producer
Merriweather Williams, Story by
Steve Little, Story by
Kaz Prapuolenis, Story by
Mike Roth, Written by/Director
Kent Osborne, Written by
Clayton McKenzie Morrow, Written by
Cosmo Segurson, Written by
Brian Sheesley, Animation Director/Supervising Director
Lindsey Pollard, Animation Director
Phil Cummings, Sheet Timer
Maureen Mlynarczyk, Sheet Timer

Family Guy • PTV • FOX • Fuzzy Door Productions in
association with Fox TV Animation Studios
Seth MacFarlane, Executive Producer
David A. Goodman, Executive Producer
Chris Sheridan, Executive Producer
Danny Smith, Co-Executive Producer
Michael Rowe, Supervising Producer
Kara Vallow, Producer
Shannon Smith, Animation Producer
Alec Sulkin, Written by
Wellesley Wild, Written by
Peter Shin, Supervising Director
Dan Povenmire, Director
Chris Robertson, Assistant Director
Andi Klein, Timing Supervisor

Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends • Go Goo Go •
Cartoon Network • Cartoon Network Studios
Craig McCracken, Executive Producer/Director
Brian Miller, Executive Producer
Lauren Faust, Supervising Producer/Animation
Director/Written by
Jennifer Pelphrey, Supervising Producer
Vincent Aniceto, Producer
Robert Alvarez, Animation Director
Eric Pringle, Animation Director

The Simpsons • The Seemingly Neverending Story • FOX •
Gracie Films in association with 20th Century Fox
Television
James L. Brooks, Executive Producer
Matt Groening, Executive Producer
Al Jean, Executive Producer
Matt Selman, Executive Producer
Carolyn Omine, Executive Producer
Tim Long, Executive Producer
John Frink, Co-Executive Producer
Don Payne, Co-Executive Producer
Dana Gould, Co-Executive Producer
Kevin Curran, Co-Executive Producer
J. Stewart Burns, Co-Executive Producer
Michael Price, Co-Executive Producer
Bill Odenkirk, Co-Executive Producer/Writer
Joel H. Cohen, Co-Executive Producer/Writer
Laurie Biernacki, Animation Producer
Rick Polizzi, Animation Producer
Ian Maxtone-Graham, Written by
David Silverman, Supervising Director
Raymond Persi, Director
Shannon O’Connor, Assistant Director
Richard Gasparian, Animation Timer

South Park • Trapped in the Closet • Comedy Central •
Central Productions
Trey Parker, Executive Producer/Director/Written by
Matt Stone, Executive Producer
Anne Garefino, Executive Producer
Frank C. Agnone II, Producer
Eric Stough, Director of Animation
Now accepting sig requests
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:07 pm

Ohhh. I had heard somewhere that it was cited on its Hurricane Katrina episode, but my mind might've just been making things up.

And I would believe that the lack of a huge list of names for South Park is probably because it's just a few people running absolutely everything, whereas the other shows mentioned have more people because they've got longer to do the episodes. In a week's timespan, you'd have a few people working around the clock to get everything through, so I guess those would be the ones mentioned.
Cedric Digsby

Postby Cedric Digsby » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:17 pm

And in response to another bit you raised; yes, Cartoon Wars met the time frame for nominations:
"Nominations for the 58th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards for the period of June 1, 2005 through May 31, 2006."

No doubt 'Trapped' was selected over 'Cartoon Wars' because it's easier to refocus attention on 'f*ck Tom Cruise' than reignite the whole 'Mohammad Cartoon Censorship Debate' - even though the latter was arguably the better episode.
Now accepting sig requests
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Family Guy's PTV is great and if it were up to me, I'd have that win purely because it made me laugh so many times. But as for smartness etc, it's probably going to be South Park...
Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:04 pm

iceiwynd wrote:And Killa, what are you talking about? Thus far I've been the only one not cheering for South Park to win this (on this thread, at least), so what rapid amount of whiny bitches are you talking about? Besides, you seem to ignore the fact that I did state that I still liked the episode. I just don't think it's deserving of an Emmy.

And I'd still like to know why it was such a great episode, instead of you people just saying it was, commotion aside (because honestly, commotion caused from this show is awesome).

Maybe calling some of you whiney bitches was a bit too much. Regardless, It's called a figure of speech and of all places, whenever an episode is brought up in discussion anywhere on this board, there's always a hand full of people who like to express their disapproval. *Yawn*

The fact that some of you discuss the episodes as if they were in the same realm as Lost or 24 will always exclude me from participating. The message and writing speak for themselves, dissecting and critiquing only insults their work. (IMHO)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:16 am

iceiwynd wrote:
Kyle the Skeptic wrote:the same could be said for 910 and 914

908, too - didn't that episode win South Park a Peabody, or am I misplacing information?

No. "Best Friends Forever" did that. It also won the Emmy last year.

iceiwynd wrote:And I'd still like to know why it was such a great episode

No idea. But eps aren't submitted for their greatness, they're submitted for the messages they aim to send. In this case, the message is that Hollywood stars seem to be taken in too easily by Scientology (and yes, Scientology owns a lot of buildings in Hollywood), and Matt and Trey tried to show everyone what Scientology is all about.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
matts_diva_bitch

Postby matts_diva_bitch » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:39 am

Big-Will wrote:No idea. But eps aren't submitted for their greatness, they're submitted for the messages they aim to send. In this case, the message is that Hollywood stars seem to be taken in too easily by Scientology (and yes, Scientology owns a lot of buildings in Hollywood), and Matt and Trey tried to show everyone what Scientology is all about.

I love you Will :)
ImageImage

Return to “General South Park Discussion”