'South Park' guys still upset -- CNN ARTICLE

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Killahertz9

'South Park' guys still upset -- CNN ARTICLE

Postby Killahertz9 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:01 pm

'South Park' guys still upset

Friday, July 14, 2006; Posted: 10:11 a.m. EDT (14:11 GMT)

PASADENA, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- The creators of "South Park" lambasted Comedy Central Thursday for removing an episode that lampooned Scientology and Tom Cruise from the network's repeat schedule and for blanking out the image of Muhammad during another episode.

"So there are two things we can't do on Comedy Central: show Muhammad or Tom Cruise," Trey Parker said during the MTV Networks portion of the Television Critics Assn. summer press tour.

Parker and Matt Stone said they had no doubt that the "Trapped in the Closet" episode was yanked as a result of Cruise's starring this summer in "Mission: Impossible III," the movie from Paramount, Comedy Central's sister company.

However, a Comedy Central spokesman countered that all episodes get rotated in and out of the schedule on a regular basis and indicated that it was always the plan to restore the episode into the schedule. The episode will repeat Wednesday.

Stone added that the duo chose not to grant any media interviews at the height of the controversy several months ago.

"We didn't do any press because we were just going to get in a pissing war with Tom Cruise, and we didn't want to be in the same article as that guy," he said. "But we picked the wrong guy to parody because we're going to be asked about Tom for the next two years."

They added that they have not been contacted by Scientology representatives but did sit down the week after the episode aired with a "very upset" Isaac Hayes, a Scientologist who portrayed the character of Chef. Hayes has since exited the show.

"We didn't want to be hypocrites," Parker said. "We thought it could piss Isaac off, but we had to do it for that very reason" of not being labeled hypocrites.

Regarding the decision not to air the image of Muhammad during the "Cartoon Wars" episode, the pair said it was a corporate decision that could become a slippery slope if other groups begin making threats and affecting content. They also noted that Muhammad seems to be off limits, while it is "open season" on Jesus, who happens to be a "South Park" character. (Depictions of Muhammad are strictly prohibited in Islam.)

Comedy Central president Doug Herzog admitted, "It's tough, but I think I would say we did overreact. ... Matt and Trey enjoy a fair amount of creative freedom. History might show that we overreacted, and we will live with that."

He added that the image probably will not be shown on the DVD version either, but "I look forward to the day when we can uncover it."

http://www.cnn.com
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:06 pm

...Huh...

I really hope they win this Emmy now. That would be an excellent way for them to say "F*ck you" to Tom Cruise and his religion.

Edit: Also that sucks that Muhammad most likely will still be censored on the DVD. Only time will tell, I suppose.
Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:08 pm

I'm a really dissapointed in C.C. and even though they have admitted what they did was wrong, they still won't show a pic of Muhammad....not even on the DVD at this point.

The fact that they put Tom Cruise in the same catagory as Muhammad is asinine.

Discuss....
SouthParkMaster66

Postby SouthParkMaster66 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:03 pm

DevilAngel16 wrote:...Huh...

I really hope they win this Emmy now. That would be an excellent way for them to say "F*ck you" to Tom Cruise and his religion.

Edit: Also that sucks that Muhammad most likely will still be censored on the DVD. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Oh they will win it. Best Friends Forever won, so TITC should win. Besides, Tom Cruise needs to let this thing go, Paris Hilton didn't even care when they made fun of her. And I hope they don't censor the Muhummad image on the DVD.
This is a misfits rejection of a life in submission
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:02 pm

I posted a CNN article and it got locked? Sucky.. But this article was better anyway.. even though it wasn't new either, just some new statements..

EDIT:

I realy hope they put the uncensored clip on the DVD, but not in the episode itself, because it wasn't in the episode? so that would be lame.. it should be in the extra materials or something.. Extra material we haven't seen that much of on the DVD's lately, what's up with that?
Spielautomaten kostenlos spielen durch meine Homepage!

DieAchse: Hier finden Sie Alles über Roulette online.

Ein Einarmiger Bandit macht immer spaß!
Hier gibt asSpielautomaten Spiele online!
Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:10 pm

I don't see why they can't put Muhammed on the dvd, I don't think many people in the middle East watch South Park and even if their are people who worship Muhammed in America I doubt they will start a riot, I mean I believe in God and I saw God as a f*cking rat on South Park and you know what I laughed
randyhart

Postby randyhart » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Man that news sucks they really need to stop being asses and let them do what is right

I just have one question:

Did CC not even allow a Canadien Muhammed to be shown?
If you want Faith+1 go here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19823&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dont ever leave me Jesus I couldnt stand to see you go
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:59 pm

randyhart wrote:Did CC not even allow a Canadien Muhammed to be shown?

Not even a Canadian one.

MLZS__DA_SP_FAN wrote:I posted a CNN article and it got locked? Sucky.. But this article was better anyway.. even though it wasn't new either, just some new statements..

It's the new stuff that kept this thread open. Your article just mentioned the episode finally airing again, for which there has been an announcement in place for a month now.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:06 pm

Looks like it's time to post this link again.

Depictions of Mohammed in Arab Art

So the Islamic fundamentalists who claim that it is forbidden to depict Mohammed, or who respond to such depictions with violence, are obviously full of sh*t.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:14 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Looks like it's time to post this link again.

Depictions of Mohammed in Arab Art

So the Islamic fundamentalists who claim that it is forbidden to depict Mohammed, or who respond to such depictions with violence, are obviously full of sh*t.

Those Islamic fundamentalists would call these artists INFIDELS and wouldn't care what you argue.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Big-Will wrote:
randyhart wrote:Did CC not even allow a Canadien Muhammed to be shown?

Not even a Canadian one.

MLZS__DA_SP_FAN wrote:I posted a CNN article and it got locked? Sucky.. But this article was better anyway.. even though it wasn't new either, just some new statements..

It's the new stuff that kept this thread open. Your article just mentioned the episode finally airing again, for which there has been an announcement in place for a month now.

Al-right-io
Spielautomaten kostenlos spielen durch meine Homepage!

DieAchse: Hier finden Sie Alles über Roulette online.

Ein Einarmiger Bandit macht immer spaß!
Hier gibt asSpielautomaten Spiele online!
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:16 am

Seriously, no one got pissed off when "Super Best Friends" was aired, and that depicted an uncensored image of Muhammad AND poked fun at Scientology. I understand that the Danish-cartoon controversy was not afoot, but still, no one seemed to have thrown a hissy-fit when it aired.

Seriously, they should not censor the image unless it was intentionally written in the script for humor purposes, not because CC told them to.
SerialGoth

Postby SerialGoth » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:21 am

I think Matt and Trey have handled this situation perfectly (as they have in other instances in which SP has come up against 'controversy') by not engaging in a "pissing contest" with our new Lord and Savior, His Royal Highness, Tom Cruise. I admire them even more for talking about it now with their typical honesty and candor too. If only CC had handled the situation better. Kowtowing to Tom Cruise and his insane demands was a big mistake, and sets a bad precedent. What, or who is next? Of course now that the show in question is nominated for an Emmy, CC can't exactly run from it anymore, can they? Obviously since 'MI:3" did'nt perform as well as the studio expected, and in light of the Emmy nom, the powers-that-be decided to tell Cruise to shove it and stand up for SP after all. Hello! That's what they should have done to begin with! the fact that all other religions are fair game except that wacky Scientology is bullsh*t. Matt and Trey have strictly adhered to their original idea that everything (and everyone) is fair game, and CC should support that, if for no other reason than the fact that SP is their most successful (and most profitable) show.
The censoring Mohammed thing is a little touchier. This goes beyond some pissy celebrity refusing to promote a movie; this is about a population of people who are not afraid to kill or be killed for their beliefs. In the post-9/11 world, I guess CC does'nt want to be tried and convicted in the media for being responsible for any terror attacks that could happen if the image of Mohammed was shown. On one hand this may seem like overreacting, but the Muslim people are'nt playing around when it comes to this. CC's thinking might be that these are the Muslim people's beliefs, and they're not going to change anytime soon, so why take a chance and bait them? If something were to happen as a result of the Mohammed image being allowed to be seen, CC might REALLY overreact, and the knee-jerk reaction could be to pull SP altogether. I for one certainly don't want to see that happen.
Bottom line is, I think CC is just trying to protect THEIR bottom line and stay out of global conflict. As for the Sir Tom Cruise issue, I think CC ought to remember what side their bread is buttered on and stand up for their artists.
What do you fear most?
TP: Germans.
MS: That's not a bad f*cking fear, I must say.
TP: They're going to freak out and try it again.
Sharpy69

Postby Sharpy69 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:50 pm

to what serial goth said about mohammad is damn right

CC are just looking out for themselves
what would be the benefit of showing mohammad...

nothing reallly
only 'supporting freedom of speech' and even then it isn't exactly a big step...

but look at the bad stuff

being sued...after all this is america you are talking about mohammad

multiple jihads on western society as a WHOLE
(kinda what was shown by PEOPLE burying their heads in sand, and extremeists bombing everyone even though it was only family guy)

being boy cotted

etc etc

big risks and little gain
high chance of failing
low chance of success

could begin WW3

that is alot for one 5 second clip of handing over a football helmet

but still you have to give the extremeist just a little bit so you dont provoke them

you can only make fun of yourself and not others

ISLAM extremeists are also racists
western civilaisation can make fun of christ even if they are not christian
but when it is mohammad.....

i live in barking...bnp...i hate those facists
but some arab called me white trash so i nutted him and i didn't get in trouble as he called me a racist name and racism > violence

the system is evening out racist punishment

BNP even helped me out personally

BNP may be extreme but they know how to change political correctness and i said to their spokeperson that i thank you for helping me over this PC stuff but i thought the BNP should all get cancer and i hate them more than my ex girlfriend who is a dirty dirty slut

but if i wasn't as educated i would of easily joined them and bought a SS uniform

WW3 is bound to happen
RIDING IN MY CLIO, POPPING MY COLLA
SEE SOME FINE BENCHES I HAFTA HOLLA
italic BOLD AND THE ALMIGHTY galla
I'M SHARPY kraut THE ORGINAL BALLA
BUST OUT MY NINE DO YA FOLLA?

FeCK THE POLICE
randyhart

Postby randyhart » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:01 pm

If they dont show Muhammed they are basically giving in to terrorism which is what they want
If you want Faith+1 go here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19823&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dont ever leave me Jesus I couldnt stand to see you go

Return to “General South Park Discussion”