Crab People

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:49 am

I liked Crab People the first time... however, I don't feel they have any replay value. They don't need to become recurring characters. Part of what made them special the first time is the randomness of them. If they're used too much, then they won't be random anymore. That's one of the problems with the new episodes of Family Guy: too many old characters who were originally part of one-shot gags are becoming regular sideliners. Ollie Williams was funny because he was random. Now he's just annoying. Matt and Trey are better writers than Seth and his team though and I'm sure they won't reuse Crab People unless they're just absolutely stoked for ideas, which was the whole reason they came up with Crab People in the first place.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:02 am

I liked the reference they made to the crab people in TDBTDAT, but I wouldn’t take it any further than that. Some of you d00s seem to be yet to realize how things can be killed to death so easily.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Rooster_Costume

Postby Rooster_Costume » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:14 am

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.....NO!

Crab people are gay. They were the worst idea ever. They couldn't come up with anything clever, so they came up with crab people. It's an idea that was made as a safety idea, and when they use it, it's obvious they can't come up with anything good. It was OK for one episode (I guess), but I couldn't take another episode with God damn crab people.
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
jawmht

Postby jawmht » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:56 am

Crab people were one of the worst ideas I've even seen on the show. I think that they are a shame to the writes. I would expext this crap from Family Guy or even *shiver*American Dad

They have been mentioned in what, 3 episodes? Only on of which was relevent to the plot, so how could anyone possible say they are cool.

And will someone please explain to me how they find that crap funny.
∞◄♫‼░☺♥♦ ¿Jawmht? ♣♣☺ ░‼♪►∞
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:22 am

jawmht wrote:Crab people were one of the worst ideas I've even seen on the show. I think that they are a shame to the writes. I would expext this crap from Family Guy or even *shiver*American Dad

They have been mentioned in what, 3 episodes? Only on of which was relevent to the plot, so how could anyone possible say they are cool.

And will someone please explain to me how they find that crap funny.

You sound like the kind of person who’s more into the political side of SP. That’s cool, don’t worry, I’m not criticizing you for it, I’m just saying it’ll make you stand out from other people on this site. You need to remember a lot of things in South Park, especially the older episodes, are based off of random and absurd randomness. Things like Crab people and the Sexual Harassment Panda and Underpants Gnomes and the Knights of Standards and Practises and a bunch of other things are funny because of the fact that they’re so random and absurd. Ok, some of them may be more politically based, but they’re still random. But hey, nobody said EVERYONE has to be amused by them.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Wishful_Thinking

Postby Wishful_Thinking » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Crab people were funny the first time after I found out that it was out of procrastionation. Using them in TDBDAT and Quest for Ratings was also funny. But I think if they are used once or twice more in season 10, it'll get old really quickly.
Novacaine15

Postby Novacaine15 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:37 pm

I don't like the crab people. They only used for like blaming stuff that one of the boys did or for something else.
crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:00 pm

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:I liked Crab People the first time... however, I don't feel they have any replay value. They don't need to become recurring characters. Part of what made them special the first time is the randomness of them. If they're used too much, then they won't be random anymore. That's one of the problems with the new episodes of Family Guy: too many old characters who were originally part of one-shot gags are becoming regular sideliners. Ollie Williams was funny because he was random. Now he's just annoying. Matt and Trey are better writers than Seth and his team though and I'm sure they won't reuse Crab People unless they're just absolutely stoked for ideas, which was the whole reason they came up with Crab People in the first place.

Exactly. Definately better as a one time thing, but if they keep using them, it will just become old.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:46 pm

The Crab People reference in Quest For Ratings was pretty funny, seeing as Matt and Trey were parodying themselves through the boys in that episode, and then Cartman suggests Crab People. :P
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:40 pm

I didn't really think of them as random, only as something you'd see in a saturday morning cartoon; "living under earth... trying to destroy our society...". It sounds familiar somehow. A bit like the morlocks, or those novellas from the 1920s where there are giant monsters living underground, and cults that are always singing.

I once had a dream where they made an episode of South Park where the Crab People and their mortal enemies, the Lobster people, fought for underground supremacy. (Yes, I am that lame to the point of dreaming aboot South Park episodes... but, I had watchd 13 episodes right before going to bed).
This is not a sig.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Crab People vs. Lobster People... that would be an interesting idea for one of those Million Little Fibers type episodes, y'know, where Matt and Trey just made an awesome kickass episode (i.e. Cartoon Wars Part II) and are completely burnt from it and so they have to throw something together and they end up doing something really f*cked up involving one of their show's weirdest creations. Yeah... probably wouldn't be a hit with the fans, but nevertheless, it's an interesting idea in theory. :P
AesopRockOn

Postby AesopRockOn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 pm

CRAB PEOPLE, CRAB PEOPLE, TASTE LIKE CRAB, TALK LIKE PEOPLE!
What's the matter? Was your mother abusive? Did she slap your thighs with cold cuts and stick umbrellas up your ass?
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:13 am

Thank you for that valuable post, we had no idea what the lyrics to the Crab People song were.
elenastd

Postby elenastd » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Wishful_Thinking wrote:Crab people were funny the first time after I found out that it was out of procrastionation. Using them in TDBDAT and Quest for Ratings was also funny. But I think if they are used once or twice more in season 10, it'll get old really quickly.

I completely agree. Crab people were funny, but if they use them more, all the fun will be gone.

Return to “Character Discussion”