What's your opinion on "the Return of Chef"?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Quentown

Postby Quentown » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:04 am

I agree with most people here that it was a good/funny episode, but seeing Chef get killed (sorta) at the end was a bummer. It should have been the Super Adventure Club that fell down the clift and got attacked by a lion and bear.
kaileykorn

Postby kaileykorn » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:09 am

angeldeb82 wrote:
MCkormick2 wrote:I was astounded by Chef's death. It didn't make me actually sad, or angry, just shocked that they'd show something so graphic about a character in the show. I didn't really mind, because, after all, Kenny died violent deaths all the time during the first half of the show. Just because they cared about Chef, and, as they said, it wasn't his fault, but rather the club's, that brainwashed him, that he died. It was better they making it a violent death, such as one of Kenny's or mrs. Crabtree's, then making a sad, emotional episode (Even Kenny dies turned out to be a plot by Cartman to make money).

Yeah. Even reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince reminds me of the topics of Danny Phantom's "Double Cross My Heart" (with Sam snogging, or kissing, "Gregor") or the sex-change (especially in The Fairly OddParents' "The Boy Who Would Be Queen" or South Park's "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina"). But most of all, the whole part in the book reminds me of "The Return of Chef". Like Chef, Professor Albus Dumbledore keeps leaving Hogwarts and coming back, and Harry, like the kids of South Park, knows that something is wrong with Dumbledore (of course, Chef never had a burnt hand like Dumbledore, or the latter never wanted to "make love to the children" like the former :lol: ). Anyway, when it gets to the part near the end, when Dumbledore is killed by Professor Snape, it left a hole in my heart that Dumbledore's death, like Chef's, is so tragic, so violent. And like Chef, it wasn't Dumbledore's fault, but rather the fault of Voldemort and Snape and the Death Eaters whom the Dark Lord hired, that he died (Voldemort and the Death Eaters are like the Super Adventure Club, sometimes). Of course, most Harry Potter fans are skeptical about Dumbledore's controversial death and wanted to believe that he's still alive somewhere, but I don't give a damn about what they think. I like to say about Dumbledore the way Kyle says something about Chef, and I quote, "In the end, I know that somewhere up there, there is a good part of Dumbledore... that is, his spirit... that is still alive in us all." :cartmansmile:

Aha, I see you're a fellow Harry Potter fan... nice. :) I must say, however, that when I read Dumbledore's death, I was sobbing (it was 2 in the morning, I love Dumbledore, cut me a break :P), but when I saw Chef being killed, I was horrified. I agree with KSWF - they didn't need to kill Chef off in that violent of a manner. I wasn't crying, I was just... astounded. I think my initial response to that episode was something along the lines of, "AAAH! MATT AND TREY, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!"

For me, though, Dumbledore's death was so much sadder. I was honestly depressed for a week, that's how much of a dork I am. With Chef, however, I simply decided that I never wanted to see that episode again and got over it in about half a day.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:20 am

kaileykorn wrote:Aha, I see you're a fellow Harry Potter fan... nice. :) I must say, however, that when I read Dumbledore's death, I was sobbing (it was 2 in the morning, I love Dumbledore, cut me a break :P), but when I saw Chef being killed, I was horrified. I agree with KSWF - they didn't need to kill Chef off in that violent of a manner. I wasn't crying, I was just... astounded. I think my initial response to that episode was something along the lines of, "AAAH! MATT AND TREY, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!"

For me, though, Dumbledore's death was so much sadder. I was honestly depressed for a week, that's how much of a dork I am. With Chef, however, I simply decided that I never wanted to see that episode again and got over it in about half a day.

So, you might have seen "The Return of Chef" and read through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at the same day, then? It seems a little weird to do that at the same time, though.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:42 pm

Oh, by the way, here are symbolisms to killing Chef off, in comparison to Isaac Hayes when he quit:

1. Struck by lightning= Struck down by God
2. Set on fire and falls down a cliff= Will burn in hell
3. Pierced through the heart with a stake= Could be how he hurt Trey and Matt with his betrayal
4. Hit by stone or gunshot= Shooting his mouth off about the treatment of Scientology after all this time
5. Face is ripped off= Two-faced
6. Arm and leg are ripped off= Church of Scientology is costing him an arm and a leg
7. Craps himself= He's full of it

Didn't you catch the symbolisms in the show too?
Tiggalow69

Postby Tiggalow69 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:07 pm

Killing Chef was f*cked up :!: and turning him in to a pedofile b4 he died just destroyed everything Chef stood for, they could of written him out with out killing him, although i am glad they didnt try keep Chef with a different voice like they have with other characters in the past, R.i.p Chef :cry:
Tiggz
pimpcartmen316

Postby pimpcartmen316 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:15 pm

i feel u up there u must be black

R.I.P. Chef
ryan.duffin

Postby ryan.duffin » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:46 pm

if they wanna kill chef off that's cool with me,but this episode just took away every last bit of dignity and respect that chefs character stood for, i mean he could have been torn up and have his guts out and shown to him for all i care but that whole child molester thing is wrong dude
Shiek927

Postby Shiek927 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:00 pm

angeldeb82 wrote:Oh, by the way, here are symbolisms to killing Chef off, in comparison to Isaac Hayes when he quit:

1. Struck by lightning= Struck down by God
2. Set on fire and falls down a cliff= Will burn in hell
3. Pierced through the heart with a stake= Could be how he hurt Trey and Matt with his betrayal
4. Hit by stone or gunshot= Shooting his mouth off about the treatment of Scientology after all this time
5. Face is ripped off= Two-faced
6. Arm and leg are ripped off= Church of Scientology is costing him an arm and a leg
7. Craps himself= He's full of it

Didn't you catch the symbolisms in the show too?

What BETRAYAL? I don't understand why people are so angry about. He didn't "betray" them. They had 10 wonderful years together and he felt it was time too leave. I mean, after Seasons 5 and 6(or so), The songs stopped coming and Chef just dissapeared, I'm not suprised that Issac left, I'm even more surprised that he didn't leave sooner.

Think about it, Issacs only role in the show is the voice of Chef and whenever he dosen't have a role in a specific episode, he probably just sits around waiting for the episode too air in hopes he'll get a bigger role next week. Now imagine doing that for more then ONE SEASON.And mind you, he's not a robot. South Park is a show where nothing isn't skewered, and even those working on the show have treasured things that they wouldn't want made fun of by the show. I know Matt and Trey go on and on about freedom of speech(They would probably look at mass genocide and not mind), but not everyones like them. I don't think there is one single person on the planet who has dosen't feel bad about anything at all and neither is Issac.

If he really did leave because of Trapped(or whatever), well then buddy it was nice knowing you and after 10 years and a movie that you helped give us, I think it's time we started paying YOU back.
Through the years we all will be together...if our fates allow...

"Whats your name?"
"What's in a name?"
Kyle and Rebecca.
miller man

Postby miller man » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:54 am

Thing is, he didn't die :?
I mean sure, he most likely is gone for good. The character of Chef is gone. But the Darth Vader thing at the end means he didn't die as a result of the carnage at the end.
It was probably just some brutality to lead into the Vader reference. Why would he need to be robotized because of some casual way of dying. I just thought it paralleled Anakin's brutal "death" in ROTS.
I can appreciate you guys' sentiments over a beloved character, but I really do think his "death" is the least of it. I much more agree with the notion that having him as a molester was wrong.
Having said that, this is South Park, and you have to remember that anything goes on this show. There is no sacred, only profane 8)
southparkmaster777

Postby southparkmaster777 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:38 pm

Dude, come on. Kenny used to die in every episode. I hope you didn't cry every time that Kenny died.
Mop24

Postby Mop24 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:07 pm

what happened in the episode after chef got turned into the darth vader guy? is that the last you see of him or is the darth vader version still in the episodes?
Aww tats dude, 2 bucks
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:16 pm

It's the ONLY episode of South Park that has Disappointed me. Chef was a favorite of mine. It was a shame that he died. :(
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Am I the only person who didn't like Chef? I mean, I really got bored with his jokes. There might've been only a few times that I laughed or chuckled at something he did. And usually, it always involved the boys leading up to that joke.

And I thought the killing was pretty funny. I mean, they go through all that rescuing, heroic junk and everything only to have Chef die in the most brutal way possible. They didn't want to settle for just '"Fall off an cliff and die", they needed an entire scene to show his death. To me, that was pretty funny. They just kept going on and on with the death, makes you wonder how he stayed alive for the first ten seconds.

Come on, guys. It's their own character, Trey and Matt can do whatever the hell they want to Chef. It's not like they showed God getting torn to pieces like that or something.

And about the 'Child Molestor' thing, give the guys at South Park a break. Their voice actor left, and the only thing they were able to use was a bunch of pre-recordings. Half of what Chef talks about is "makin' love" or something along the lines of that. It probably could've been one of the only ideas they could come up with that would fit nicely into the story.

Hey, you guys try doing better. :/
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:18 am

The episode itself was an average one for me; not my favorite, but I still liked it as a whole.

However: When I watch TV, I have no problem separating actors from the characters they play. I know Isaac Hayes' voice is legendary, but on South Park, he's just Chef. Not a Scientologist, just horny, fat, musical Chef. I know some people can't do this, and the episode probably worked more for them. But because of the (assumed) lack of imagination or general laziness on the audience's part, Chef was Isaac. Not the other way around. Because of that, the character suffered.

But artistic problems aside, a characters' death is usually the best way to deal with an actor's departure. Screw the pansy "moving away to Alaska" or "throat cancer" excuses. I guess because I'm (temporarily) an English major, I tend to side with writing quality rather than overall product.

southparkmaster777 wrote:Dude, come on. Kenny used to die in every episode. I hope you didn't cry every time that Kenny died.

It was sad because Chef's death had real implications. He wasn't coming back in the next episode.

As for the grizzly (pardon the pun) death, that was just over-the-top funny. I've no complaints about it.
Kaffe

Postby Kaffe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:40 am

Quentown wrote:I agree with most people here that it was a good/funny episode, but seeing Chef get killed (sorta) at the end was a bummer. It should have been the Super Adventure Club that fell down the clift and got attacked by a lion and bear.

But the SAC surviving and Chef dying is suppose to tell something about Isaac Hayes and Scientology. The person that was Hayes dies.

I don't see any problem in Chef's being a child molester. He was brain-washed. As for his death it was quite funny.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”