do south park fans read?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:49 pm

I am not much of a novel reader. The only novels I have read recently are a couple mysteries by Val McDermid. Most of my current reading has been based around learning about religions. Up next I have a book that is supposed to be a day to day telling of the Civil War, should be interesting.

Hey, M_E, random question here, but what stations do you listen to?
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:35 am

Yes, of course I read! I've been reading for fun whenever I had the time (and SP even inspired me to read Great Expectations for fun this summer... ^^; )

BTW, to answer your initial question, music elitist, I don't care about Thomas Pynchon, but I have heard of him. And I'm pretty sure most non-SP-watchers haven't heard of him, either, wise-ass.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:15 am

Thomas Pynchon makes Tom Wolfe look like George Plimpton.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
music__elitist

Postby music__elitist » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:39 am

anyone who thinks i've gotten "pwned" is seriously delusional...

anyway, to answer any real questions: i'd recceomend V. or The Crying of Lot 49 to start. or why not jump on board with the new one, placed between the chicago worlds fair of 1893 till the epilogue of world war 1. pynchon can seem like a formidable read at first, and then he may seem even more difficult as the characters and settings change so often. you'll need a dictionary, and you'll need your memnory working. we're an adroit enough species & it's worth the effort. once your accustomed, you'll just revel in his world with all its humor and paranoia and brilliant sentences and characterization.

and to the person who asked something like what stations i listen to? a. i don't live in ohio, our stations differ.
b. i rarely listen to the radio, but when i do, i listen to a listener supported boston station. i usually find most of the music i listen to by looking around online. CAN's a band i've been quite into lately, and the new Yo La Tengo and Thom Yorke solo album.
music__elitist

Postby music__elitist » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:45 am

and anyone who has any interest in reading pynchon and might like to start with the new novel, there's going to be a wiki page filled with info on the novel that goes live midnight on Tuesay.

http://www.pynchonwiki.com/
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:47 am

anyone who thinks i've gotten "pwned" is seriously delusional...

Do you read real literature Mr. “I’m-too-good-for-capitalization-and-punctuation”? How about Pyle? Tennyson? Know who Lord Acton is? How about Tacitus? Heroditus? Gibbon? Thucydides? Yeats? Anything worthwhile at all?

Maybe some more popular names? Bradbury? Kirsch? Gabriel Garcia Marquez? Vonnegut? (I’m just reading off my book shelf right now. ^.^) Charles Fort?

NO?! Oh let me guess... Steven King? (Yawwwwn) Piers Anthony? (Puke) Ann Rice? (Double puke out every orifice) Auel (hey she has hot sex scenes and a little anthropology I’ll give you that...) Marion Zimmer Bradley? Alice Sebold?

If you’re such a history buff, have you read anything other than this guy? You don’t seem interested in anything else that anyone else has read. According to you- we’re only worth your snot if we’ve read this crappy old fart.

You probably only know who the assh*le ThOmas PrickNipple is because he promoted himself on *le gasp* the Simpsons. Ooooh! You take your reading advice from network television. Bravo Mr. Aristocrat.

Once again; go back to your “Lovely Bones”and “Ayn Rand” pseudo-intellectual novel. I’m sure it’s the only source of pride you have or ever will have.

FYI: I’m not claiming to be an “intellectual” but I am moderately well-read and take offense at the implication that “pynchon” is the only man worth reading. Furthermore, I happen to think Gibbons is the most important writer anyone should be reading in this generation, but I don’t go around insulting people. I mean- sheash- Athena never bashed you because you haven’t read Dickens.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
music__elitist

Postby music__elitist » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:06 am

I'm not sure any of that's worth replying to because the ignorance in that comment was is so completely excessive, that I don't know where to begin.

So here goes: you're wrong about everything you wrote.

That was easy. Yes, I've read Dickenson. And Gibbons, if you're referring to Dave Gibbons.

This topic is meant to be about Pynchon's new novel, so I haven't really been discussing any further literature.

But no, Pynchon isn't the only author I feel is worth reading.
And as I said, you were wrong about everything you wrote so any accusations you've made have been answered: you were wrong.

here are some other of my favorite author's I'll be sure to discuss if you'd like:
James Joyce, Kurt Vonnegut, Cormac MaCarthy, Don DeLillo, Franz Kafka, William Gibson, J.D. Salinger, George Orwell, Salman Rushdie, Phillip Roth, Anthony Burgess.

Or for the non-fiction or philosophical reader: Noam Chomsky, Harold Bloom, Richard Dawkins, Satre, Bertrand Russel, Nietzsche, Søren Kierkegaard.

Or for the comic book fan: Alan Moore, Niel Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Frank Miller.
music__elitist

Postby music__elitist » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:08 am

I see you updated your post to add Vonnegut and Bradbury. Now I'm not sure why you're challenging me. You'd probably find Pynchon to be exactly the sort of author you'd like...
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:12 am

music__elitist wrote:So here goes: you're wrong about everything you wrote.

Pride before a fall my little minded friend.

That was easy. Yes, I've read Dickenson. And Gibbons, if you're referring to Dave Gibbons.

Edward Gibbons, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

This topic is meant to be about Pynchon's new novel, so I haven't really been discussing any further literature.

Then that should have been the subject head you Pompus, self-infatuated, assh*le. You asked do south park fans read? Here we're answering you. Nuts for brains.
Kyle the Skeptic will be happy, I am so making a place for you in my sig- :twisted:

I am going to read Pynchon just like with Da'viiiiince code so asshats like you can't give me crap for not reading it. But if it's crap- ><;; IF IT'S CRAP- and it probably is- I am so gonna be pissed off.
music__elitist

Postby music__elitist » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 am

my first post was pynchon related. and here i'm going to say: stop. you're making a fool of yourself by believing your in an argument, and furthermore in an argument you might win. you, like so many other who have posted here, are obsessed with defeating me because i pissed you off with one of my posts. big deal. get over it. i didn't know the message board had to be so PC.

based on the authors you listed, i am now only making a reccomendation. pynchon isn't what you seem to be implying he is with your name calling, not at all.
music__elitist

Postby music__elitist » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:22 am

i really should warn you pynchon is pure literature. not da vinci's code. as i said, you're showing your ignorance on the subect, which would be fine, except you're assuming things. pynchon my very well be the most challenging author you've ever read unless you've read joyce? if anything, the way you're going into the book (or so you claim?), you won't be prepared for just how much of a bodacious literary virtuoso pynchon is. whatever book you read by him will have 1 of two likely effects: 1. you won't understand the language and put it down. 2. pynchon will immediately become your favorite author, and his brilliance wll awe you.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:38 am

music__elitist wrote:you won't understand the language and put it down. 2. pynchon will immediately become your favorite author, and his brilliance wll awe you.

Oh I get it. If I don't pretend to think this is the greatest book ever written- I'm an idiot and it's too "sophisticated" for me?

Okaaay- tell yah what- I'll read Pynchon and you read Edward Gibbon. Kay? I believe that Edward Gibbon will give you a sense of vindication. *If* you can “understand the language”.
music__elitist

Postby music__elitist » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:47 am

i didn't say anything about pretense. that's lame, don't do that. i'll get to reading gibbon at some point, but won't have time at the moment as this topic shows... again, tuesday. good luck if you do decide to tackle pynchon.
aristottlesdeathwish

Postby aristottlesdeathwish » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:48 am

music__elitist wrote:the point of this thread shares the same point as any thread: the hope that some users here might answer, "yes", followed by a discussion on his earlier novels and after tuesday, dialogue about against the day.

and if anything, i, like parker and stone, am making commentary. what about? about the narrow-minded, likely young audience of south park. i'm trying to see what types of people watch this show now that it's such a scatological, shoddy, much less shrewd, obvious waste of time.

So in other words, your here to be a pretentious prick and put down the show and make us all pissed off because your one of those people who poke a bee nest for the fun of it. Asking if we read seems to be insinuating something if you ask me.
"When you do something right, no one knows you have done anything at all"=Futurama
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:52 am

music__elitist wrote: i'll get to reading gibbon at some point, but won't have time at the momentchon.

*sniffs the air* I smell chicken.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”