What are your favorite cartoons from the 1980s?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Kyle the Skeptic

What are your favorite cartoons from the 1980s?

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:27 am

I was trying to look up the name of an obscure 80s cartoon that I remember seeing bits and pieces of from, and I came across this site:

http://www.80scartoons.net/toons/index.html

I was a bit surprised at just how many of those I recognized (and I'll have to go through that list again, once they're done with the site maintenance). Some have undergone revivals in recent years, when they were re-aired on cable cartoon networks.

Anyway, my personal all-time favorite has to be ThunderCats. It was one of several western cartoons of the era that was done anime style. I used to watch it all the time.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:56 am

The cartoons I liked when I was a kid are Danger Mouse and Count Duckula, and they made me laugh! I really miss them now. :cartmansad: :cartmancry:
Still the same as it ever was.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:46 am

^ All of DangerMouse is out on DVD now, if you're looking. Duckula only put out the first season so far, and no word has been mentioned yet for the next.

Yes, I have those!

I also liked:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Transformers
DuckTales
Real Ghostbusters
Last edited by AngusMcTavish on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
general disaray

Postby general disaray » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:47 am

Duck Tales
Transformers
Ninja Turtles
M.A.S.K.
DangerMouse
GI Joe
Count Duckula
Voltron
Thundercats
The Real Ghostbusters
To alcohol, the cause of and solution to, all of lifes problems
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (let's not get lazy with that title people :) )

Inspector Gadget

Holy crap, David the Gnome. I remember that sh*t. I was a big fan of that show.

Oh I used to watch Muppet Babies, sorry to say.

Danger Mouse

Transformers

Duck Tales (I could probably sing that theme song right now)

Then there's one I completely forgot the name of. The only thing I remember about it was the characters riding around in a giant airship. It was like a sailing ship suspended beneath a blimp. Damn, if that's familiar to anyone, I'm itchin' to know what that show was.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:14 am

^That could be one of several. Was it a western cartoon or an anime adaptation?

Anyway, there are plenty of others that I recognize, but the ones that I liked (as in saw regularly) were:

Beetlejuice
Dino-Riders
Dinosaucers
Garfield and Friends
Ghostbusters (both Filmation and The Real GB)
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Inspector Gadget
She-Ra: Princess of Power (on occasion)
Simpsons (is that really an 80s cartoon?)
Super Mario Brothers (but not that stupid-ass live show that came with it)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
ThunderCats
Transformers

While I did see many of those Disney series, and became quite familiar with them, I never considered myself a fan, because my elementary school had an annoying habit of playing them (really loud) while I was waiting after school to be picked up. All the kids I used to hate would sing along with the intro themes too, which didn't make it any better. :evil:
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:44 am

^ Yeah the Simpsons began late 80's. My favorite of the 80's is Danger mouse.
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:50 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Oh I used to watch Muppet Babies, sorry to say.

YES! Muppet Babies, in retrospect, is a lot better than it gets credit for. Unfortunately I continued to watch it well into elementary school. That was rather odd of me.

I was a pretty stereotypical little girl, watching pink-hued stuff you would expect little girls to watch. I did watch some Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters and such on occasion, though.

I'm getting nostalgic, and now awaiting a whole new thread about 90's cartoons.
MaxwellsSilverHammer

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm getting nostalgic, and now awaiting a whole new thread about 90's cartoons.

eeeee, indeed.. nostalgia is nice..

maybe this thread should just be titled "favourite childhood shows." most of the things i'm gonna list are actually from the '90s, considering that's when i grew up. it just seems pointless to start another thread just for '90s shows.

* DARKWING DUCK.. that was my favourite cartoon EVER.
* Garfield & Friends
* Super Mario Bros. (but yeah, the crappy-ass live-action sequences needed to go. those guys didn't even LOOK like Mario and Luigi.)
* Doug
* AAH! Real Monsters!
* Inspector Gadget
* Beetlejuice

and i know these aren't cartoons, but just all of that '90s live-action Nickelodeon stuff like Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Clarissa Explains it All, Legends of the Hidden Temple, All That, Salute Your Shorts.. i could go on and on..

EDIT: forgot to add REN AND STIMPY. hello.. that's the reason i still laugh at fart jokes.
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:59 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:^That could be one of several. Was it a western cartoon or an anime adaptation?

It couldn't have been anime because I don't remember watching any show back then that I would now classify as anime.

I do remember getting a toy version of the air ship in the cartoon for Christmas one year and being totally stoked about it.

Both the protagonists and the antagonists had an airship and I believe they engaged in air-to-air combat at one point. It was like a 17th Century naval battle in the sky. Some of those final levels in the old Mario Bros. games had airships that reminded me of this show I can barely remember. Maybe if you just start thowin' out names, I'll recognize one.

AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:24 am

I almost forgot one.

Galaxy Rangers

Unusual space cowboy series that blended CGI graphics whenever they looked stuff up on monitors. Very good for its time.

I don't remember if there was a blimp-ship on that one, but tmp, does that sound like the one you were thinking about???
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:23 am

Okay, let's see. Non anime, both sides had an airship, and they had a line of toys. The closest match is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Advent ... ddy_Ruxpin

I never saw it myself, but I know that it was originally based on an animatronic toy. Is this the one you were thinking of?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:59 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Okay, let's see. Non anime, both sides had an airship, and they had a line of toys. The closest match is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Advent ... ddy_Ruxpin

I never saw it myself, but I know that it was originally based on an animatronic toy. Is this the one you were thinking of?

By God, I believe that's it!
I'll be goddamned.

Thanks Kyle, now that won't be bugging me anymore.

kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:07 am

From The 80s:

Care Bears
My Little Pony

When I was maybe 4 I had an obsession with the Care Bears movies and TV show.

My Little Pony (I think its partially early 90s) was my obsession in 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade. I always loved how Teddy & Sweetheart were like boyfriend/girlfriend.

Heading into the 90s

All Dogs Go To Heaven (TV Series. I loved the movies and then WCGV and WPWR started playing the TV series at 4AM. Loved it)

South Park

Rocko's Modern Life (1997-1999 was the peak. In 5th grade it would be on before school. Didn't think much of it until I saw Camera Shy. I thought man this is funny!)

Angry Beavers (Norbie/Treeflower is what got me into it when I saw Bummer Of Love.)

Hey-Arnold (1999-2003. Harold being Jewish is what first cought my attention. I was 12. Then in 2000 I saw Summer Love with Arnold/Helga getting along for a short period and later became OBSESSED with it)
Stan and Kyle :)
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:04 pm

Well, as I grew up in the 80's, I'm just going to run down the list and see what I can remember watching.

-Teddy Ruxpin

-Alf / Alf Tales

-Pound Puppies? I think I did. I remember seeing it anyway.

-I don't know anyone my age that didn't watch Alvin & The Chipmunks... or Beetlejuice

-The Berenstain Bears (They started showing it again recently on Channel 27)

-Any and all incarnations of Scooby Doo, except for the crap that's out now.

-I remember Bigfoot and The Muscle Machines, but I don't remember if I watched it.

-The California Raisins

-Camp Candy (well, anything involving John Candy after Uncle Buck)

-Care Bears :oops:

-Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers

-The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley :o I loved this one!

-Dennis The Menace (this was on recently too)

-Oh my god... Denver the Dinosaur. I'd watch it even though I thought it was retarded.

-Disney's Gummi Bears/Winnie the Pooh

-Duck Tales, and the spin off TaleSpin, but that was '90 and '91.

-Fat Abbot, UH... I mean Fat Albert

-Wow! I forgot about Fantastic Max.

-I'd watch the original Flintstones, and the Family Hour, but I felt that Flintstones Kids was a bastardization of the franchise. I think they only did it because Muppet Babies (which I did watch) was such a big hit.

-Garfield and Friends

-Ghostbusters (both versions, although I didn't like the later version as much.)

-Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats (lol, the link isn't working, but I remember seeing the big cat in a fish costume one time, and the way his face looked sticking out of the fish's mouth gave me the idea to stick my face in the Venetian blinds. It took dad a couple of hours to straighten the aluminum out again. What? I was four for Christ's sake!)

-Incredible Hulk

-Inspector Gadget

-Punky Brewster (I don't know why though, I liked the live action show much better)

-Legend of Zelda? I might have.

-The Little Rascals/Richie Rich Show

-Wow, The Littles. This is still on at like 5am on CW33. I loved this one, and watching it now, I can't see why. (but I still watch it to this day)

-M.A.S.K.? I think I did. It's funny that I'd watch that, but not GI Joe.

-Pac-Man

-Pink Panther / and Sons

-Pole Position

-Police Academy

-Did I mention Popeye?

-Richie Rich

-Rude Dog and the Dweebs

-Shirt-Tales? I think.

-Simpsons (although early on my parents didn't like me watching it.)

-Smurfs. Once again, I don't know anyone who didn't watch it.

-Strawberry Shortcake :oops:

-Super Mario Brothers (both incarnations)

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Although it sucked after they blew up the channel 6 building. The one that's out now was ok until they went into the future. :roll:

-ThunderCats

-Transformers

God damn I used to watch a lot of TV. Well, I still do, and I don't even have cable.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”