The Reality TV Discussion Thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

albino.black.sheep

The Reality TV Discussion Thread

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri May 18, 2007 12:17 am

OK, so I know where Jordan (EPAF) and I stand on reality TV. It blows big time. I hate it with a f*cking passion.

1.) It's patronising for viewers. TV producers get good feedback from the first series of a new programme so they milk the sh*t out of it because it's cheap to produce and soon every channel has it's own signature reality show. The people who make these programmes think we are entertained by watching a bunch of fucktards sitting on their arses all day, so that's what they give us. Over and over and OVER again.

2.) It takes up way too much time on TV schedules. To such an extent, that in 2001, Channel 4 decided that there wasn't enough time in their schedule to cover Big Brother and digital channel, E4 was created just so people could watch their favourite desperate wannabes 24 hours a day.

3.) It spawns talentless non-entities who insist that they can sing/act/be sexy, when in fact they can't, but mostly appear on these shows to be attention-seeking moaners. Then when they get chucked off their "rise to fame" programme they go to various tabloid publications and get inordinate amounts of money for their "stories". It also brings us attention-seeking former celebrites; in the case of Peter Andre on I'm A Celebrity: Get Me Out Of Here, who claimed to have made up a song in the jungle, which seemed a little too planned and rehearsed to have been spontaneous. It also glamourises pathetic sex-scandal celebrities, like Rebecca Loos from Celebrity Love Island and The Farm, famous for claiming to have slept with David Beckham (get used to the Beckhams in the US, they're your problem now). Claiming to have shagged celebrities is not a talent.

The most notable would be Jade "I'm not a mingaaaaaaa" Goody, whose rise came on the third series of Big Brother (which she didn't even win) and whose downfall was the fifth series of Celebrity Big Brother. Former of which, she sparked an international controversy, when she, her even more untalented family, a former pop star and a would-be footballer's wife made racist remarks about (the beautiful and more importantly, talented) Shilpa Shetty. I have to say that Jade Goody is the biggest waste of space in the universe, since all she does now is get pregnant but is supposedly the 25th most influential person in the world. She claims she doesn't even know the meaning of the word. :?

This type of programming makes my television cry.
Email notifications do matter, people.
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Fri May 18, 2007 12:32 am

How can I ever thank you for making this thread, albino? :D

I too don't give a sh*t for reality TV. Honestly, who the bloody Hell will remember most of this crap a decade from now? Just because the actions of a show's characters are unscripted will not do wonders to make me more entertained. Scripted TV will always stand the test of time because at least the actors knew how to preform good stories we tend to remember.

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri May 18, 2007 12:36 am

O'Brien wrote:How can I ever thank you for making this thread, albino? :D

You can start by calling me Kate, if you want.
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Fri May 18, 2007 12:40 am

Roger that Kate.

*Goes back to viewing scripted TV programming*

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri May 18, 2007 12:43 am

I may just be saying this because I'm looking to get my own scripts off the ground but, scripts rock!
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:03 am

I'd probably go into more depth about how much reality tv sucks, but I don't have that much time on my hands. So here's my little rant.

The thing I hate most about reality tv is how unreal it is. By the time all of the footage is passed around, messed with, and edited it just becomes totally misleading and fake.

From the beginning (even before filming begins) the whole thing is planned out the way that producers see fit. They pick people based on personality and appearance and how well it compares/contrasts with other peoples' personalities and appearances.

They'll also do anything to encourage wild, outragous (spelling?), and/or crazy behavior among the selected people. Alcohol plays a major factor in that.

And the worst thing about reality tv has to be the editing. Just take a simple 3-week reality show. They have cameras rolling
24-7. So just in three weeks they have 500+ hours of footage. And how much do we get to see? Maybe 10-15 hours? 20 at most. Their is some major editing going on their. And producers and editors only let us see the arguing, fights, sex, and drinking. Pretty much the worst of the worst.

They also edit conversations/arguments to make it to be something that it's really not. The people on a reality tv show are basically portrayed the way that is seen fit to producers. You can actually be a pretty nice person, but be portrayed as a complete assh*le due to the heavy editing of the show. And that's pretty f*cked up.

Again, I would go into better detail with more precise examples of how bad reality tv is, but I don't have the time (or the enegy) right now.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri May 18, 2007 5:59 am

I hate Survivor and Big Brother (although the latter hasn't been on here in some time) with a passion that could fuel a dozen oil refineries... or something similar. However, I think The Amazing Race is done better. It 's simpler, yet more entertaining (I feel like such a fuck-tard, I just spelled "entertaining" with an "i" instead of an "e". :roll:), and you never see the contestants again, unless they do a brief bit on Letterman.
EPAF

Postby EPAF » Fri May 18, 2007 8:29 am

Can we talk about fly-on-the-wall documentary-type reality TV in this thread too?

Anyway, like what Kate has mentioned, what I'm really gunna throw up on, is the fact that for Big Brother, both Channel 4 & E4 (let's hope More4 don't follow suit) will be milking this show to the point that there's nothing left to relate to it. Already they've got:
Big Brother
Big Brother's Little Brother
Big Brother's Big Mouth
Big Brother's Big Brain
Big Brother: Diary Room Uncut (WTF?!)
Big Brother: Nominations Uncut
Big Brother Live (which is usually on about 14 hours a day on E4)
What the hell are they gunna come up with next - I hope our television schedules are limited to just this crap, because I can't take any more BB programmes that take up airing time when they can broadcast something much moreinteresting to watch.

Jesus Christ, I feel like that there's always something reality-based on the TV that makes me vomit. If Big Brother's not on........or worse....I'm NOT A Celebrity, Get Me IN There isn't on (*BLEEERK*)......then a member of the lowest of the low will be broadcast instead - Celebrity Love Island (*BLEEEEEEEEERK*) - and most of the celebrities that appear on that programme are usually either F-List people, footballer's wives or just famous people's brother's cousin's third sister-in-law's friend. :x

Thank you Kate for making this thread - I finally don't have to bottle up my ranting anger now.
crazyQH wrote:Ok EPAF, I'm officially granting you the title of having the best dream ever.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri May 18, 2007 1:41 pm

EPAF wrote:Can we talk about fly-on-the-wall documentary-type reality TV in this thread too?

Go for it. But your live on BBS4, please do not say f*ck or bugger.

EDIT: dammit. I don't know how I managed to post the same thing twice.
Last edited by albino.black.sheep on Sat May 19, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri May 18, 2007 1:43 pm

EPAF wrote:Can we talk about fly-on-the-wall documentary-type reality TV in this thread too?

Go for it. But you're live on BBS4, please do not say f*ck or bugger.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat May 19, 2007 12:13 am

I'm ashamed to say that I used to watch Survivor. I stopped watching it because it had become repetitive and predictable, which it took me about 5 seasons too long to realize. I hear The Amazing Race is supposed to be pretty good, but I've never seen it all the way through. Of course, I have watched quite a few episodes of Fear Factor (which is technically a game show, not a reality show) but that's just because I find it downright hilarious.

There are a couple of main reasons why TV networks love reality shows. First, they don't have to pay a team of actors. Why use actors when you can get a bunch of idiots to fight over a huge payoff that only one of them will actually get to win? Secondly, they don't have to pay a team of writers. Interpersonal soap operas between strangers forced to live together is cheap and usually quite convincing, so all they have to do is bleep out swear words and splice together the dramatic segments.

Of course, if they ever came out with a real life version of Celebrity Deathmatch, THAT I'd probably watch. :D
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Sat May 19, 2007 12:26 am

[quote="Kyle the Skeptic":71e70]Of course, if they ever came out with a real life version of Celebrity Deathmatch, THAT I'd probably watch. :D[/quote:71e70]

Actually, I'd watch that show. If the first match was a Japanese barbed wire deathmatch, with C4 explosives around the turnbuckles and it was any stupid spoiled whore who hates Paris Hilton vs. Paris Hilton, with Mick Foley commentating; I'd definitely watch that.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat May 19, 2007 3:59 am

Who would have thought that the main plot for [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108538/:03e01][b:03e01][i:03e01] a movie[/i:03e01][/b:03e01][/url:03e01] would make such a lucrative TV genre.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun May 20, 2007 9:15 pm

For people who hate reality TV, you all seem to know a lot about it. I hate it, too, but I don't know sh*t about these programs because I never see them.

I watched the first episode ever of Survivor because I thought it was literally going to be a show about a bunch of people trying to stay alive on some island. Of course it's actually a soap opera/game show. Borrrrr-ing!!! And it only got worse from there. At least all I had to put up with were the stupid commercials.

You read it! You can't unread it!
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Sun May 20, 2007 9:20 pm

I only know about them because I wrote a 5000 word essay last year about why they're bad for the TV industry and audience.

Besides, you should know your enemies.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”