Should "under God" be removed from the Pledge?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 pm

I never thought it was possible for a thread to show up that revolves around two words. It would be a waste of time and effort to remove it, it's just two words. Even if students who are atheist have to say it or hear doesn't mean they have to believe it if they don't want too.
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Sizzling Lynn wrote:A guy in my grade eleven Bio class last year was dared to lick a rat's balls and he went along with it...is that considered manly?

No, that is the opposite of manly.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 pm

Just one click is enough to erase a thread revolving around two words. :)

Oh wait, you mean removing them from the Pledge. Yeah, that's a lot of government red tape and taxpayer money. Fuhgetaboutit!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Fri May 18, 2007 6:52 pm

I saw a good bumper sticker the other day:

ONE NATION
UNDER-EDUCATED

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Aym_Dand wrote:I saw a good bumper sticker the other day:

ONE NATION
UNDER-EDUCATED

:roll:

whatever the f*ck that's supposed to mean
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:20 pm

LOL...Whatever you want it to mean..LOL...
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri May 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Aym_Dand wrote:I saw a good bumper sticker the other day:

ONE NATION
UNDER-EDUCATED

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND MEANS
ALL CHILDREN LEFT BEHIND
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Sizzling Lynn

Postby Sizzling Lynn » Sun May 27, 2007 3:01 am

"I pledge allegiance,
To the hag
Of the United States of Fart."
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun May 27, 2007 3:29 am

Only in America would bullsh*t like this become a major political issue. What about that whole war thingy that was so ill conceived and poorly executed? Or perhaps the recession in the economy and the increase in gas prices and the cost of living... what does our government plan to do about that? Unfortunately, too many of the voters are more concerned with bullsh*t issues such as gay marriage, prayer in schools, the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance and "In God We Trust" on our money, abortion, stem cell research, that giant rock with the ten commandments in the Alabama Supreme Court, and other heavily religious-based issues. Really, I just don't care. I have opinions on these issues, but there are bigger issues that seem to be ignored in the midst of these retarded issues. We can worry about where we draw the line between church and state when things return to the way they were in the 90's: peaceful and prosperous.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:48 am

i saw a funny bumper sticker today

GO VEGAN!

:roll:

morons
ClydesGirl

Postby ClydesGirl » Wed May 30, 2007 3:27 am

I think they should keep it. Even if they don't keep it I'll keep saying it.

I understand why people are getting upset, but if they dont want to say it then don't. That simple.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:05 am

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:Only in America would bullsh*t like this become a major political issue. What about that whole war thingy that was so ill conceived and poorly executed? Or perhaps the recession in the economy and the increase in gas prices and the cost of living... what does our government plan to do about that? Unfortunately, too many of the voters are more concerned with bullsh*t issues such as gay marriage, prayer in schools, the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance and "In God We Trust" on our money, abortion, stem cell research, that giant rock with the ten commandments in the Alabama Supreme Court, and other heavily religious-based issues. Really, I just don't care. I have opinions on these issues, but there are bigger issues that seem to be ignored in the midst of these retarded issues. We can worry about where we draw the line between church and state when things return to the way they were in the 90's: peaceful and prosperous.

Yeah, there are much bigger issues. It is kind of disappointing really. Think about it, the war, and the f*cking gas prices, and our economy are much bigger problems that affect people in this country of all religions and sexual orientations..Maybe if people would pull their heads out of their asses and pay more attention to those problems some of them might get fixed..But, so many people would rather waste time, energy and money into these religion based issues.
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Wed May 30, 2007 6:09 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:Think about it, the war, and the f*cking gas prices, and our economy are much bigger problems that affect people in this country of all religions and sexual orientations.

Hmmm..... I'm not getting blown up or shot at due to some war in the Middle East, nor am I required to go out to fight or actually support the troops with material goods like food and ammo. Sure higher gas prices are a mild inconvenient truth but hey, we still have both cars and gas. How can the economy be so bad anyway when I still have a home and can go out shopping whenever I damn feel like it?

The point is that Americans will never be truely concerned over the important issues as long as they are only affected to a small extent. For most they're nothing more than mere talking points; a catagory which religious issues also fall into. Sure we can gripe about Iraq, how the fundies are brainwashing us, or even how much POTC 3 sucked, but frankly we can't be bothered to do something until it's too late. :?

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:21 am

Well, ok maybe those aren't your problems, I don't know you so I am not going to make assumptions, but if you can go shopping whenever you want, you are probably doing better fiancially than alot of people.
If someone is in the Army or they have family members in the army, or if they are low income and they need to put money in their gas tanks to get to work to earn what little money they have coming in, those are pretty big issues. And, that is alot of people's reality right now. Espeically for alot of people I know..We are poor.

But what you said does illustrate something. People don't care about the crap other people are going through until it is their problem.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Wed May 30, 2007 6:41 am

Well, my point wasn't about whether or not the issues are my problem or not. It was about their general importance. I'm not over in Iraq getting my brains blown out, but I have enough compassion for those that are that the issue is important to me (even though there's nothing I can do about it except complain and vote Democratic in the next election). The gas prices are affecting me, and considering I'm planning to take a trip to Ohio to see friends during Labor Day weekend, it's quite an inconvenience knowing that gas might be up to $4 a gallon by then.

I'm still more fortunate than most of the world, and I'm thankful for that, though if this problem is inconveniencing me so much, I can only imagine what it's doing to lower income people who have even farther to drive to get to work than I do. For me, the trip to work takes about 8 minutes in ordinary traffic. Others have to commute farther. Many of my co-workers can't even afford their own telephones, whereas my family has not only a telephone for the house but individual cell phones for each of us. I know people who live in the ghetto, and well... they have to pay the same price for gas as me, and even I think that gas prices are a pain right now, so... I feel for them.

But yeah, the point I was trying to make is that issues like the words "under God" in the pledge aren't really that important to me. Not only do these religious issues not affect my life or my ability to worship (or abstain from doing so) in any way, but they don't have that affect on anyone else either. They're just something for fundies (both theist and atheist) to bitch about to each other. If they wanna bicker, that's fine, I just hate it when those issues are made out to be oh-so-important around the time of an election. Another thing, even if a candidate is for or against something, it doesn't mean that he's going to do anything in regards to his opinion on the issue. In other words, just because you voted for a Republican who opposes abortion doesn't mean he's going to make abortion illegal. It's a waste of votes when people are swayed by these types of issues into voting for whatever candidate shares their views on minor issues.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”