Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

SterileEyes

Postby SterileEyes » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:35 am

I thought Jesse Jackson was great with some 'slow' parts, Cartman Sucks was a classic, and then everything after that, for me, just STUNK.

Lice Capades I didn't laugh once.

The Snuke had a funny concept and I liked the idea of a 24 parody, but I got maybe one or two laughs out of the whole thing.

These last three all completely bored me.

And I've loved every season up until now, not just 'old' South Park.

For me, it all started going downhill with "Go Dog Go".

I just feel like the whole 'week to write an episode' pressure is finally getting to them. I could count on my hands the episodes that I disliked from seasons 5-10. Most 7 episode runs there's maybe one or two that I don't love. This time, there was 1 I loved, 1 I liked, and 5 I just really didn't like.

Just my opinion, but I hope they're not running out of gas.

Correction for MagicMike - the killing Jesus scene was cute. That's one minute out of 22. The scene in last nights epi where the guy shot himself 100 times was also cute. Again, one minute out of 22. For me, that's not very good for South Park standards. But again, its my opinion.
Last edited by SterileEyes on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
magic13mike

Postby magic13mike » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:09 am

You can't tell me you did not think the Fantastic Easter Special was not hilarious.... I mean come on

Kyle killing Jesus and making sure to tell him not to tell Eric

The Pope when he said, "ok bill, I really don't think killing Jesus is very Christian"

The whole concept of mocking the DaVinci Code

The Return of Jesus

There's more I just can't remember it

That was the best episode in a long time. How could you not like it.
Screw you guys...I'm goin' home!
sk8terzrock

Postby sk8terzrock » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:28 am

It Just goes to Show How Much Something Can Evolve
But I Always Will Love South Park Maybe With The Exeption Of a Few Episodes Season 11 Not Bad So Far Maybe Lice Capades Was A Little Bit Bad But Still Got Another Half Season To Go So Who Knows :?:
ERIC THEODORE CARTMANImageImage

http://www.madmaxtaylor.piczo.com
have msn add mad_max_4000@msn.com
PiP92

Postby PiP92 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:31 pm

No way, I think all the newer episodes are funnier than the older episodes. Their just different types of humor.
Rooster_Costume

Postby Rooster_Costume » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:54 pm

I thought season 10 was great, but this season isn't doing as much for me as the last season. Two pretty weak episodes have shown up in this first run compared to only one weak episode - granted, it was extremely weak - in the first half of season 10. But I'm confident M&T can turn it around. After all, they didn't have much to work with. Still, it hasn't been bad.; not even bad for SP. With Apologies to Jesse Jackson, Cartman Sucks and The Snuke were great.
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
ImMrDurp

Postby ImMrDurp » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:55 pm

I feel like writing about this on a forum doesn't matter, but it really depresses me the direction South Park is going in. It's stopped being about the every day escapades of some 3rd graders, and now it spends all its time spoofing everything...in some respects, it's become too much like the Scary Movie series where it's less concerned with being legitimately funny, and more reliant on recalling recent events/pop culture phenomenons.

It's still good, and I live for that occasional episode that isn't spoofing something specific (Cartman Sucks was the best episode this season), but lately it's all been about either NONE of the boys, or like one or two of them dealing with something happening to all of south park, not having their own adventures.

I wish there was a panel somewhere I could ask Matt and Trey about the direction they're taking it...but for the meantime I just have to hope that they'll see that the new direction isn't as funny, and that the show is simply more entertaining when it's about the crazy adventures of a bunch of 3rd/4th graders.
BrittanyRose

Postby BrittanyRose » Fri May 11, 2007 2:45 am

I do like the newer episodes but i really miss the way the old ones use to be. A few of the episodes this season have been funny like cartman sucks. I really hope the rest of the season is centered around Kyle, Stan, Kenny and Cartman. The only episode i didn't like was the lice one. It could have been so much better! But i still love the show......and i miss Kenny dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gazm

Postby gazm » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:25 am

Season 10 and 11 are poor, the show is so glossy and stuck up its own arse all they can do is rip the sh*t out of anyone and anything. The irony is, of course, that in doing so they have open themselves up to parody and ridicule and I hope somebody slaps them back down to earth quickly, so they can get on with making funny, inventive stories involving the inhabitants of a small mountain town.

PS This is tough love, SP Season 1-8 is the greatest cartoon ever - I just want them to return to that form, and quick.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:37 am

it is funnier than earlier episodes. It's prime was season 8. Nowadays the storylines do not leave room for the conflicting personalities of the characters
xP3rfEctCircUsx

Is South Park Not As Funny?

Postby xP3rfEctCircUsx » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:28 pm

I sort of agree with you. The beginning episodes of south park were, as you probably already know, classic. But I think season 8,9,10, and soon to be, 11 were all HILARIOUS!!! :P I think you will love the next seven episodes of south park. OCTOBER 2007, BABY!!!!!!!!
*Zippy For President*
xP3rfEctCircUsx

Postby xP3rfEctCircUsx » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:29 pm

oh yeah, I also think kenny should die in every episode. Thats my favorite part in every one in the early years...
*Zippy For President*
xP3rfEctCircUsx

Postby xP3rfEctCircUsx » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:31 pm

gazm wrote:Season 10 and 11 are poor, the show is so glossy and stuck up its own arse all they can do is rip the sh*t out of anyone and anything. The irony is, of course, that in doing so they have open themselves up to parody and ridicule and I hope somebody slaps them back down to earth quickly, so they can get on with making funny, inventive stories involving the inhabitants of a small mountain town.

PS This is tough love, SP Season 1-8 is the greatest cartoon ever - I just want them to return to that form, and quick.

your stuck up south park f*cking rocks. season 1-8 was good, but 8+ f*cking ROCKS!!!!!!! GO CONTROVERSY!!!
*Zippy For President*
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:20 am

^Uhm, can we not triple post, please?

Season 9 stunk. 10 was decent and 11 was pretty good. So things are getting better all the time!
ericbauer

Postby ericbauer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:25 pm

Everyone can have their opinions on south park how it's funny now or early in their seasons. I can say it has their slow moments in their seasons, but the south park is just to funny for me.
Eric Cartman "You're My Hero!!!!"
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Well, I think 9 was meh, 10 wasn't much better, and 11.1 is gaining momentum.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”