Have a Philosophy?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

AngusMcTavish

Have a Philosophy?

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:25 am

I think as we go on in life, we find ourselves living by a simple phrase or saying of sorts. I realized one for myself just a year or two ago, considering past work experience:

"Don't get too comfortable."

That's become my philosophy. What's yours?

Note: Didn't know if this should be more in Games, since a few of you will probably have all sorts of fun with it, but I couldn't help but get this started, just for larfs.
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:47 am

As an ultra super deep thinker, my mantra changes more often than my clothes, but at the moment its " make Earth as it is in heavan".
Weather I'll physically change this hellish excuse for a society into something someone who doesnt score 100/10 on the evil-o-metre like Adolf Hitler, Marques DeSade and Bill O'Riley could consider paradise is highly doubtable.
Thankfully my second most used slogan is borrowed from the Buhhdah, "with our thoughts we make the world". That is, if we can percieve the same event as great or horrible just by changing our outlook, then we can change the world by changing or outlook.
Some kids consider a friendly joke to be horendous bullying, and some kids consider horendous bullying to be a friendly joke; it's all in the mind.

Note: Didn't know if this should be more in Games, since a few of you will probably have all sorts of fun with it, but I couldn't help but get this started, just for larfs.

Worry not about that, my child; the great Leader, Lord Will shall correct any mistakes you may make in your time within his realm. By moving the tread.
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:30 am

Hmm...it sounds simple and slightly stupid, but here's what I go by besides the basic stuff in the Bible...

"Live by your soul and follow your dreams- life is short, and you've only got one chance to do what you want to..."

I mean...follow your soul and what you feel is right (and fun, if applicable). You'll feel much more freedom and happiness that way, instead of living to please others. Do what you want- live free and die happy. For example, I'm going to try it as a free-lance artist, even if it means I'll be starving on the streets of the SoHo district of New York City...I'll do what I dream, no matter what.

:wink:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:05 pm

I suppose I could dig up any of a number of quotes from my favorite philosophers, authors, Buddhist teachings, or even the book of Ecclesiastes from the bible. However I recently heard a good one from a former Episcopal Bishop and author in my area, that applies to me as well.

"Always seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it will."
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:27 pm

My mantra?

"It's never so bad that it can't get worse."

You read it! You can't unread it!
Craig-and-Clyde

Postby Craig-and-Clyde » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:52 am

"If you are falling off of a building you might as well enjoy the ride down because it's the last one you are going to get."
I don't think i'm very happy. I always fall asleep to the sound of my own screams. And then I always get woken up in the morning by the sound of my own screams. Do you think i'm unhappy?
Lord Dunderhead

Postby Lord Dunderhead » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 am

"Victory requires no explination...
... Defeat allows none."
Jack your stepping on a land mine...
So?
Just checking.
Amplive

Postby Amplive » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:32 pm

"Smoke 'em if ya got 'em"
Kenny_the_best

Postby Kenny_the_best » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:23 pm

'be yourself'
i know-i know it's kinda cliché but i think it's true
and it's just easy to say but a lot of times pretty hard to live this way
Craig-and-Clyde

Postby Craig-and-Clyde » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:58 am

One failure can teach you more than a lifetime of success.
I don't think i'm very happy. I always fall asleep to the sound of my own screams. And then I always get woken up in the morning by the sound of my own screams. Do you think i'm unhappy?
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:28 am

^learn from the faliure of others, so you don't feel faliure yourself
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:34 am

They're not philosophies, but I love this quote from Napoleon Bonaparte (NOT Napoleon Dynamite):

"Never interrupt an enemy when he's about to make a mistake."

Another nice quote is:

"Never test the depth of a river with both feet."
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”