Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

RubberDuckyDiscoMan
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:25 am

Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby RubberDuckyDiscoMan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:42 am

I got the most awesome and eco-friendly gift for the holidays this year. a 50 sheet notebook, made out of elephant turds! Apparently, the waste was first sanitized by boiling it in water, then compressed into little thin sheets. It's supposed to even be safe to eat, but I don't want to find out...

Some of you germ-aphobes might find this disgusting, yet I'm amazed over the mere fact that humans can make waste into something that's actually useful. However, that's just my two cents.

Anyway, here's my question:

Do you think elephant turd paper will be helpful to the advancement of human civilization or will it make some particular aspects of our society worse?
http://www.greasymoose.com
WHERE GREASE IS GOD!!
Zubby
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby Zubby » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:51 am

Nature has the ability to make waste into something that's actually useful in ways that go way beyond what humans can do now.

Paper made from elephant sh*t sounds like a cute diversion as we grapple with how to reduce, reuse and recycle. I don't expect that it will be helpful to the advancement of human civilization or make society worse. I expect it to be a novelty item with limited appeal. Elephant waste made into fertilizer would be more practical and less fuss to produce.
Zubby
RubberDuckyDiscoMan
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:25 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby RubberDuckyDiscoMan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:57 am

Zubby wrote:Nature has the ability to make waste into something that's actually useful in ways that go way beyond what humans can do now.

Paper made from elephant sh*t sounds like a cute diversion as we grapple with how to reduce, reuse and recycle. I don't expect that it will be helpful to the advancement of human civilization or make society worse. I expect it to be a novelty item with limited appeal. Elephant waste made into fertilizer would be more practical and less fuss to produce.


What about trees? I think it would be nice not to cut them down. And hell, more trees, more air!
http://www.greasymoose.com
WHERE GREASE IS GOD!!
Zubby
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby Zubby » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:04 am

RubberDuckyDiscoMan wrote:What about trees? I think it would be nice not to cut them down. And hell, more trees, more air!


Me too. I'm all for cutting down less trees. But, all the elephants in the world wouldn't produce enough sh*t to have a significant impact on trees used to make paper. Then there's the problem of collection as well. I doubt that other animal's feces would work as well, as elephant feces is about 60% undigested grasses.

What WOULD work is comprehensive recycling, including legislation that makes it mandatory to use recycled paper only for all toilet paper, newsprint, and other coarse papers.
Zubby
RubberDuckyDiscoMan
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:25 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby RubberDuckyDiscoMan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:45 pm

While we're on the subject of elephant sh*t, what do you think is a more useful alternative energy source?

Hydro Electric?
Solar Power?
Wind Energy?
Hamster Wheel?
Iraqi Oil?

Poll: What do you think is the best?
http://www.greasymoose.com
WHERE GREASE IS GOD!!
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby BRMBug » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:24 am

Hamster Wheel. Think about it, there are millions of the little buggers ain't there? And many times they'll eat their own poop, so it's recycling!

...Every time I see this thread title, I think of a Hybrid made from Elephant sh*t, not unlike the Adobe car from the old SNL skit.
polymorph
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 pm

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby polymorph » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:54 am

RubberDuckyDiscoMan wrote:While we're on the subject of elephant sh*t, what do you think is a more useful alternative energy source?

Hydro Electric?
Solar Power?
Wind Energy?
Hamster Wheel?
Iraqi Oil?

Poll: What do you think is the best?


Solar, the sun's not going anywhere anytime soon
Image
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
triplemultiplex
Posts: 6146
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Solar would be very effective in places that get a lot of sun, that's for sure. But I think hydrogen fuel cell technology is the next destination for energy; especially in motor vehicles.

Ultimately, though, civilization must learn to diversify it's energy sources. A combination of solar, wind, hydrogen, bio-fuels, and even a few hydrocarbons will mean the world's economy will no longer be tied to the price of a primary energy source. Diversification, baby.
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
teh-lolrus
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:22 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby teh-lolrus » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:27 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:Solar would be very effective in places that get a lot of sun, that's for sure. But I think hydrogen fuel cell technology is the next destination for energy; especially in motor vehicles.

Ultimately, though, civilization must learn to diversify it's energy sources. A combination of solar, wind, hydrogen, bio-fuels, and even a few hydrocarbons will mean the world's economy will no longer be tied to the price of a primary energy source. Diversification, baby.


Agreed. Diversification helps with the fuel issues, although I don't think the government is giving hardly a rat's ass about biofuels these days...

When we did the stock market project last semester in Economics class, we invested in a solar company and the stock earned us a good ton of money. If not for the environment, then it's good for economic reasons.

:P
._.
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:30 am

Re: Elephant s***, The new Hybrid Car?

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:15 am

similiar to SP?
Image

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests