*1201 Tonsil Trouble* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

.Stoch

Re: *Episode 1201 Post-Air Discussion*

Postby .Stoch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:17 pm

DevilAngel16 wrote:
jeqis wrote: :shock: I cant beleive Cartman gave aids to Kyle, it is unbeleivable how Cartman would think that he would get even by giving Kyle Aids... This must be the worst thing Cartman has ever done, I think its even worse from when he killed Scott Tenorman's parents.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. I gotta say, Cartman injecting that needle into his arm and then into Kyle's mouth has got to be one of the most f*cked up things they've ever done on South Park.

And about the HIV positive joke, it was funny at first in a corny kinda way, but then it started getting annoying, until Kyle finally called Cartman out about it. "This isn't funny, so shut the f*ck up."

I think I laughed the most during the scene when Kyle is kicking Cartman's ass and Mr. Mackey steps in. His classic line worked perfectly there. "Break it up, mmkay!!" I dunno, I just thought it was really funny. XD

Oh, and about the new intro, I like the fact that they compiled many episodes throughout the series into it. And the boys popping up from the sides is kinda cute, but I'm definitely gonna miss the whole them being built with construction paper thing.

I think the HIV positive joke, it got really funny at the end imo. I think giving Kyle AIDs is WAY worse than killing that kids parents. And I also enjoyed the new intro, I'm not a fan of the music to the song though, haven't been since last season. Oh ya and I think sooner or later Cartman is going to deal with a "bisexual" faze or something. I don't think they will make him gay, but they keep hinting at him liking both girls and being interested in guys.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:42 pm

This is one of the least funny episodes of South Park I've seen in years. I liked it, laughed my head off at some points, don't get me wrong, but it's still down there with Jackovasaurus and Stan's cup. Why?

Because most of the humour was in the form of geeky in-jokes for fans, that the avarage joe would never understand. You need a strong understanding of the Kyle Cartman dynamic and of Butters to get the joke. This leaves the episode in scarilly simmilar teriroty to the latter Simpsons episodes, which fall. prey to comic-book guy levels of geekery.

It also leaves the jokes quite dispersed. The mock-drama thing didn't really work, and it was obvious from the start that money would be the cure for aids.

Kyle's outbursts were somewhat predictable and it altogether seemed like one long joke with a lame-ish punch line, because the punch like (money cures aids) has been said before so many times.

Some great moments redeem it, such as Mackey's tattle tale thing (i hate how skools try to punish both sides in EVERYTHING :evil: ) and the "aids is so retro" thing but the episode was, as cartman would say, rather WEEEEAAAAAK.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Aids Burger

Postby Aids Burger » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:20 pm

I checked out some Jimmy Buffet fan sites to gauge their reaction to the show, and the ones that talked about it were pretty cool. Nice to see they have a sense of humor. I expected a bunch of militant parrotheads blowing out their flip flops over it.
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:24 pm

The first part of the episode was great - loved the stuff at the beginning. But once the Magic Johnson stuff came into it, it really went downhill. Just wasn't that funny - especially the money bit. It could have been a whole lot better, this episode, considering the material they had. It started off great (good intro, Kyle finding it funny, the crap singer, Kyle getting HIV and the fight) but the rest of it was just me wondering what the hell they were trying to take the piss out of - People finding HIV/AIDS an 80's disease or Magic Johnson? The humour in that just didn't work.

But roll on the second episode. :)
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:33 pm

superiorsavior wrote:Kyle's outbursts were somewhat predictable and it altogether seemed like one long joke with a lame-ish punch line, because the punch like (money cures aids) has been said before so many times.

Well everyone knows that only AIDS kills AIDS.

Oh, I almost forgot to comment on the Yimmy Buffay thing. It was stupid early on, but I was giggling at "cureburger".
REMEMBERMEWHENIWAS

Postby REMEMBERMEWHENIWAS » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 pm

You can't get aids from drinking blood with aids. Unless Kyle had a cut somewhere in his mouth. But I got to remember it's just a cartoon and not get so upset when it would have been better if Cartman stuck the needle in Kyle's arm. Wait, how would he be able to find a vain? Anyway, I liked it when Kyle was in Magic Johnsons house telling Cartman "This is not funny!!". That was the best part of the whole episode. Best sh*t on T.V.
ubastards

Postby ubastards » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:44 pm

This episode just didn't anything for me.
Everybody seemed out of character, the jokes nor the plot were at all clever.

The Eric Kyle dynamic seemed weird to me.
Eric seemed too weak and timid when kyle started breaking his stuff. I just didn't get that?

The "I'm HIV positive" line is actually really old. I remember kids using that line years ago..

I do agree with a previous poster who said the bar has been raised really high for this show so I guess i should expect a let down every now and then.

I will say this though, I didn't like the "more crap" episode the first time either but actually found it very funny after watching it a couple more times..

This episode had the feel of the late 90's episodes...very much so. Anybody agree?

Also, whats the geeky humor a few posters mentioned, that most people wont get? Could anybody point out some examples?
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:48 pm

*sigh*

I thought it was...okay. It did get a few laughs out of me, like the FIRST time Cartman said "I'm HIV positive." The second time he said it, I found it annoying. The third time, when Kyle gets angry with him for it was funny NOT for the joke, but because Cartman was being so deadpan about it.

GOOD:
I actually did appreciate the drama element. Kyle's intensity was cool to see. I found Stan's dealing with Kyle's laughter hilarious as he explains it to Cartman..."ironic you know, because you're always such a dick and stuff." The blatant acknowledgment that Cartman is an a-hole in such a casual way was funny to me.

BAD:
Nothing about Jimmy Buffet was funny whatsoever. The whole "these two lovers" line was so obvious it couldn't be funny.

My overall opinion is that this episode is below average, but not as bad as some of the aforementioned worst eps. :x
KyleStanCartmanKenny

Postby KyleStanCartmanKenny » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:13 pm

I just wonder why Cartman didn't try to sue the hospital.

I know Jimmy Buffet's guitar players, they are my roommates uncles. It would have been cool to see them actually designed after the real people.
largesponge

Postby largesponge » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:21 pm

:cry:

i was disappointed with the ep.

i just dont find AIDS a funny topic, even when south park do it (except in jared had AIDES :D )

although it i found some of it funny, i would hope that the season gets better, with more light heartedness.

overall: 5/10

ps. even though cartman is a dick, i hated kyle fore his reaction to cartmans disease, i thought it was way out of line

pps i still hate kyle after that ep, he has to be extremely funny in next ep
Yes, at first I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical, but then I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of sh*t, I am never reading again
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Anyone else notice the voices were different, for Lianne especially? Also the charactars did seem very out of charactar, or back in their season 1-3 forms, with the assh*le vindictive Kyle and the stupid Cartman.

The butters/cartman interaction was the best point in the show. Kyle was just a grumpy guts all the way in, it was quite funny to see them ripping on themselves, but they do it too much.

Anyone noticed Matt and Trey's fascination with AIDS? This is like the fourth episode they've done with it as a central theme, and they've done about five songs about it in all their productions...
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

RayMaster

Postby RayMaster » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:03 am

I really can't believe some of these posts. I have been an avid South Park fan since season 1. I have felt that over the years they have been really gaining speed, they are able to bring out some form of genuis and keep me entertained and lauphing. Unfortunatly, I can't say that for this episode, generally speaking, I don't watch television, at all... I know that might seem strange to some but really I don't think it's worth my time, however, I do turn on the television for new episodes of South Park, my freinds and I make a part out of it for the seven weeks that we get new episodes during any given season. Suffice it to say that it is a very big event, and the dissapointment from this episode was outragious. I really thought that other SP fans would think the same, but as I'm reading these posts it doesn't seem so, very odd I thought. I was literally thinking that they had made this episode to try and not be funny, because the only two times I even broke a smirk, were when cartman gave kile the aids, and when the guy went to africa to tell them that they had found a cure and it was a large quantity of money. Nothing else in that episode was funny, I didn't laugh, I didn't smile, I wasn't entertained. It's not like I don't watch a lot of SP for those of you thinking that I may only watch the new ones when they come out. I have every episode of SP and watch them all the time. What do I mean by all the time? Whenever I'm at my computer working, or playing a game(I play windowed on all of my games on my 32" screen), or browsing the internet, I'm always watching a SP episode. I can quote almost every episode but for the few that I never watch because I didn't like. Probably my least favorite episode was Pancake Head and Butter Face, next would be Awesome-O, then probably Mrs.Garrison's Fancy New Vagina. This episode wasn't as bad as those, because I really didn't like and was annoyed by those episodes, this episode simply put was not funny in the least, it was like watching any other episode of one of the hundreds of television series' that I don't watch just for that reason. I am one of SP's biggest fans and can't believe they were trying to be funny with this episode, maybe they thought their fans would like it no matter how lame it was? I'm not certain, But honestly, if you think that episode was even in the least bit funny, you obviously haven't been watching SP long, because the greatest episodes, including newer ones, make me laugh so hard my sides hurt. I really really really really hope that next week's episode is good, because with a start like that I'm praying that the only way from there is up right?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:07 am

While I agree that this episode was quite the disapointment, it wasn't quite a Million Little Fibres of fucktardedness.

Probably my least favorite episode was Pancake Head and Butter Face, next would be Awesome-O

That shows a difference in humour between me and you. Those are some of my faves there :) But the aids episode should NEVER be compaired to them, mmmkay?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

RayMaster

Postby RayMaster » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:12 am

At lease a million little fibers had towlie doing what he always does, I understand that those two episodes were funny to most, my cousin, who is always at my SP parties, loves those episodes as well, and he thought this episode was the worst episode to date. So your right, I may not be able to compare them as at least someone genuinely found them funny, but I can't believe that anyone found this episode funny. It'll definatly be added to my never watching again list.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:15 am

South Park Parties? I need to start throwing some of them!

I wouldn't call it that broken that i'd never watch it again (unlike Jackovasaurus) but i might leave it for a few years before returning. Hope they don't overplay it like they do other sh*t episodes :(
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”